Home Quixel Megascans

Megascans open beta launch delayed

Replies

• VicToMeyeZR
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can happily report that the team is getting bandaged back together, a little dented, a little worn but back in the game! Since the Megascans side of things took the worst hit, DDO team have been making some pretty great progress in the meantime. I know people get mad when we tease stuff so I can tell you that we have the GPU baker working, 3D painting is fully functional with some UI elements left to do. Because of the downtime on Megascans DDO have been getting some more love than expected, so I think everyone will be happy when it is released.

Sorry that I got sidetracked there, I work closer to the DDO team than megascans team so its easier for me to know the progress. Megascans is coming along, I can say that much at least, its being worked on full time!
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Good to hear it! Ganbatte!
    EDIT:

Just read "Your unused quota will be saved for next month" - that's really cool if it happens. It really irritates me how this isn't the case with eg mobile phone data etc. It gives an incentive to stay subbed if you aren't using it so much this month, because next month you may use it really heavily.
  • Devil_Inside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you guys give us more insight into how 3D painting is going to work? Is it like fully real-time? Is it in any way linked to Photoshop? Like does it use the photoshop tools, brushes, layers?
  • Stevincent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stevincent polycounter lvl 4
    Glad you all are back in the game, I hope everyone is doing well!! I look forward to seeing what you all have come up with!!
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghaztehschmexeh - yeah i really hope it stays like that, its the most fair way I think!

Devil_Inside - Fully real-time, soooo smooth that you wouldn't believe me if I told you (Honestly) Its fully embedded in DDO and PS, inside the dynamask editor. we've been making custom brushes like crazy, and will probably add way more before its over, in the end the goal is to make it so that you can import your PS brushes as well.

Stevincent - Thanks!
  • Devil_Inside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds great! Can't wait to check it out!
  • bac9-flcl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bac9-flcl polycounter lvl 10
    @Eric Ramberg

Sounds great, Eric! Pass on my best wishes to the team, I'm very glad to hear you're back in the game and sincerely hope that some of the negative mood on the forums didn't get to you too badly. Looking forward to seeing that DDO stuff, especially as a Unity developer eager to get some inspiration from a cleverly hidden Unity application you're using.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Devil_Inside - Cant wait to see how people react!

Bac9-fici - I will definitely do that! Unity rocks!
  • Falkrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Falkrum polycounter lvl 2
    Eric Ramberg
    Is there will be changes on NDO? Never heard about that.
    It will be nice to see changing the value of sliders by scrolling the mouse wheel on both NDO and DDO apps, really hope to see it.

PS As i understand right there will be build in texture baking in Suite?
  • tach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will the 1.9 DDO release be tied to the Megascans public beta? That's the feel I was getting before the recent events but now I'm not so sure. It'd be really nice if we could get another DDO release before Megascans is actually ready.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Falkrum - That is a pretty good Id
  • VicToMeyeZR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So are you saying Megascans hasn't been worked on this past 2 months?
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I'm pretty sure that's not what he said
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vic - that is not all what I said, Megascans suffered more from the personal tragedies that affected Quixrl staff, more so than DDO, hence: ddo is further along than what we had initially expected.
  • VicToMeyeZR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roger Eric. Just ensuring I understood what you were saying. Our project doesn't have the funding to hire dedicated artist, so this product is going to be the lifeline for art for us. Just trying to see where we are.

Thanks
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope and really think you will be pleased!
  • oskarkeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oskarkeo polycounter lvl 10
    any progress on those renderer presets Eric?
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
    What type of technology/hardware are you using to create these scans? Any chance of a breakdown?
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oskarkeo - I think we'll manage to squeeze it in for next release, at least the most common ones!

Yourname942 - There is a short "movie" about it here: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8alYZgkwClM[/ame]
    The hardware is all custom built by Quixel, as well as all the software/compilers. Not sure how much info I can give out on it though, and also the fact that its WAY above my understanding :) but if you have specific questions I can pass them on to the hardware/software team.
  • VicToMeyeZR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing piece of tech work there.
  • FieldMarshall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the work of Quixel and I my self wish to some day participate in the development process of such powerful software/hardware as I am studying computer engineering currently. I learned art on my own with a lot of effort and hours of hard work, and I was looking forward to participating in this beta.

The only thing that I am very disappointed at is the harsh response from this community to feedback that might no favor the stance of the company. It was clear to everyone that things came up and the company could not achieve the expected release date. What is very disappointing is how many artist here use their commentary to suppress the right the customers have to negative feedback. I read through the entire forum. It doesn't feel like a very open minded community when you cannot allow for commentary that was in no way offensive, it just expressed disappointment with the company. It felt as if there was no consideration towards unsatisfied consumers that meant no harm. Instead some asked for them to "shut up" and others threaten that they might lose job opportunities. Reading through this entire thread was a very disappointing as I see no respect for unpopular opinions that were in no way offensive yet many claimed they were offensive in attempt to do anything possible to force those people to stop their commentary. In no way respecting freedom of commentary, it sort of felt like a totalitarian forum.

I hope that when i enter the industry as a software developer, as I am already an indie artist, that I will not meet so much repression against criticism of my company's behavior(regardless of the companies situation), since I was taught that criticism helps achieve perfection and must be tolerated. I'm sorry, I don't usually comment on these things but this was too much.

From megascans I am expecting big things and the "making of" video got me really excited as I can relate to the things done in there. I myself attempted to build my own scanner for a school project.

The one thing I wish to know about megascan is if you guys are planning to add skin scans (like human or animal skin) as well? Maybe it has been said before but I didn't catch it.

Thanks.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FiledMarshall - People are pf course allowed to express negative opinions here, believe you me, I know! I think its only fair if we mess up something or cant deliver on a promise, but there if a difference between critisism and non productive repetitive bashing. I really don't want to start up this discussion again, so that's all I'll say on this. but I hope you will have a smother ride with your company than we've had at some points :)

Regarding the skin scans, yes there will be skins! They need to be layed out flat though so I'd imagine that human skin is out of the question.. But there is a way to do it with the 3D scanner so we'll see what will come out of that in the future.

To clarify, Quixel has not killed any animals, we've gathered skin from animals at the butchers that where already dead, Those who operate the scanner are not to fond of scanning skin as you can imagine, the smell is horrible and you need to clean the scanner after each skin...
  • tungerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    @FieldMarshall,
    Tis a sore subject, definitely walking on egg shells.
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
    tungerz wrote: »
    @FieldMarshall,
    Tis a sore subject, definitely walking on egg shells.
    Why is it a sore subject? Quixel has repetitively done the same mistakes yet it's unfair to judge them?

@Eric Ramberg: The only bashing i have seen in this thread was due to responses on people expressing disappointment. Whether their way of expressing themselves was too harsh is subjective, but again i'm one of those guys that fully understand and to some extends support the negative responses that came along with this thread. In the end i agree with what FieldMarshall has said.

All to our own, let's keep it clean and respect the different opinions.
  • tungerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    loggie24 wrote: »
    Why is it a sore subject? Quixel has repetitively done the same mistakes yet it's unfair to judge them?
    @loggie24
    No, my friend.
    I fully agree with you, but to express your disappointment with Quixel, is walking on eggs shells.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nobody is against people expressing their opinion. What gets old is beating the same dead horse over and over again, which a few individuals have done (posting like 8 times with the same criticism). We get it, Quixel gets it.

There have also been a number of ridiculous personal attacks, claims members of Quixel staff are liars, thiefs scam artists and cheats, that very real and legitimate reasons for delay are fabrications (I won't go into detail out of respect for certain individuals privacy, but these statements are 100% true). It's all over the top. I would expect a community like Polycount, where many of our posters have some sort of development experience, to understand that software dev is not black and white. It's not simply a matter of sitting down for a week and saying "Today I'm going to fix all the bugs with dDo". That's not how any of this works.

Again, this doesn't mean you can't share your opinion, but a little bit of tact and professionalism would go a long way.
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Nobody is against people expressing their opinion. What gets old is beating the same dead horse over and over again, and a few individuals have done (posting like 8 times with the same criticism). We get it.

There have also been a number of ridiculous personal attacks, claims members of Quixel staff are liars, thiefs and cheats, etc. It's all over the top. I would expect in a community like Polycount, where many of our posters have some sort of development experience, to understand that software dev is not black and white. It's not simply a matter of sitting down for a week and saying "Today I'm going to fix all the bugs with dDo". That's not how any of this works.
    Mhm, but saying "let's not update our product for 6 months and fix all the bugs then, they can live with a buggy product for a while" attitude is not helping either. Not going to start beating the dead horse again, but you are missing the major point here.

I'm not condoning any type of direct insult to anyone involved. Just understand WHY are they are being said.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No major points have been missed, we have 5 pages covering exactly that.

Again, if you think it was conscience effort to delay releases because they honestly do not care about their users, you're sorely mistaken. No software developer WANTS users to live with a buggy experience. However, the reality of software dev is much more complicated than that.
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No major points have been missed, we have 5 pages covering exactly that.
    Yet we have people like David who expressed his disappointment without the use of any unnecessary words in his first posts, then gets provoked by members who can't accept what he says?

I am not saying they are doing this for laughs, i'm not that ignorant. Shouldn't people have the right to be angry when they buy games that run horrible, are buggy and so on? It's the same for software development. I'm not saying Quixel Suite runs horribly, but it has some serious issues like crashing every few minutes (for me) which has led to loosing work. A long with tons of broken deadlines? It's just the way man, businesses go under due to pissed of customers.

I know they are going to fix these issues, but it's worrying seeing or hearing nothing from them in such long periods of time.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Again, those are reasonable concerns, and voicing them is certainly your right. What I'm saying is we should hold users to a higher standard on Polycount than your average video game basher or youtube commenter. Is that unreasonable?

The Polycount community is generally very good at self moderating, so when they see someone like David making 10 or 20 or however may posts about the same subject, they tend to call that person out.

Now we're up to 6 covering the same topic again. What is this accomplishing?
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Again, those are reasonable concerns, and voicing them is certainly your right. What I'm saying is we should hold users to a higher standard on Polycount than your average video game basher or youtube commenter. Is that unreasonable?
    Absolutely, just please don't expect honey badgers in cute pink costumes as this is still the internet lol.

My concerns are the only thing i want to get through really, yet they have been said so many times... It feels like the only one on the other side is Eric.

And i want to point out that I feel David got tagged and provoked which in the end let to all those posts, so in this case your self moderation didn't work too well.

Yeah, let's stop here. Make a last post and i won't reply unless you drag me into it :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It feels like the only one on the other side is Eric.

As it should be. If everyone at quixel spent time posting on Polycount every day, that would mean more delays for production, you can't have it both ways. Tech support is usually funneled through a primary contact point. At Marmoset, our engineers do not generally respond directly to support enquiries or feedback, we have people for that - our coders focus on developing our products. That is what Teddy, Waqar, etc are doing.
    Yeah, let's stop here. Make a last post and i won't reply unless you drag me into it :)

Haha, lets see how good my bait is. =P
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As it should be. If everyone at quixel spent time posting on Polycount every day, that would mean more delays for production, you can't have it both ways. Tech support is usually funneled through a primary contact point. At Marmoset, our engineers do not generally respond directly to support enquiries or feedback, we have people for that - our coders focus on developing our products. That is what Teddy, Waqar, etc are doing.

Haha, lets see how good my bait is. =P
    Too damn tasty. My point with Eric being the only one answering, is because we rarely get any insight of what's going on. No Facebook posts, no forum posts about what's going on, no nothing. It's all radio silence with a slight buzz which is Eric answering basic questions/problems. I have said this a million freaking times, break the silence, tell us a bit more what's going on and you won't have to deal with a lot of this.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok this is honestly my last post on this matter. Loggie24 yes you are allowed to express your opinion, but when someone post the same thing over and over and over again, calling us liars, thieves its not expressing your opinion its a simple a childish immature bashing. This is not the only thread certain individuals posted in, its everywhere. And when the questions have been asked and answered a thousand times then whats the point? You think we don't KNOW about these issues? The whole damn team is working around the clock litterally sleeping by their computers to fix this. What more can we do than apologize, explain why, and work to fix it? it doesn't really help getting these hatefull messages and posts everywhere when you're spending every waking minute on this.

And as I have said before, we don't expect our customers to be OK with buggy software because we messed up, It's not your fault we're a small team, you payed money for this and you deserve a working product. I don't like to talk about what happens behind the scens of Quixel but since we failed to deliver on our part I feel that we owe it our customers at least, and we're not expecting sympathies. But I do expect some understanding at least. We're doing everything in our power to solve this. At the same time we have many customers who are not having these issues and you gotta be careful not to mess everything up in the hunt for some bugs who might be specific to certain hardware/software combinations.

The reason we can't be as open with what we are doing is because we can't afford to. A lot of our features are ending up in other software and its very disheartening to work on something and have someone just up and steal it. It's really sad for us too because we would love to show all you guys the cools stuff that's been going on lately, but we just can't risk it!

I do agree we could be way more active on Facebook and social media in general, but every time we post something about new products or updates that are not specific enough people get provoked by that instead. Same thing if we post artwork created with our tools, so it's a bit of a vicious circle. I have collected a lot of really really cool stuff that I can hopefully post after we've gone in to beta on both products, I honestly don't think it would be a good id
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now if anyone has any more questions regarding the actual topic of the thread, "megascans" I'd be happy to answer them.

Can I get a mini-megascans box?
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake - What exactly is that? :D
  • tungerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    last 9 out of 11 post sum up my saying...
    Walking on egg shells :p

Cheers,
    ~Tung (
  • Rikk The Gaijin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rikk The Gaijin polycounter lvl 6
    Now if anyone has any more questions regarding the actual topic of the thread, "megascans" I'd be happy to answer them.

I am honestly curious about what kind of difficulties are you guys experiencing that does not allow the Magascans Open Beta to start.
    My understanding is that Megascans are a big library of scanned materials, essentially a texture library.
    Now, since you already have thousands of these materials ready, and the distribution is all digital, then what exactly is the problem? Why can't you guys just publish what you already have, and then adding more in the upcoming months? What does stops you?
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    I am honestly curious about what kind of difficulties are you guys experiencing that does not allow the Magascans Open Beta to start.
    My understanding is that Megascans are a big library of scanned materials, essentially a texture library.
    Now, since you already have thousands of these materials ready, and the distribution is all digital, then what exactly is the problem? Why can't you guys just publish what you already have, and then adding more in the upcoming months? What does stops you?

software and content releases are never that simple. infrastructure needs to exist before that can happen.
  • Rikk The Gaijin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rikk The Gaijin polycounter lvl 6
    software and content releases are never that simple. infrastructure needs to exist before that can happen.

Yes, but they already got it working with the private beta. What's the difference?
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rikk The Gaijin - I think you actually answered your own question :) It's thousands of materials that need to be distributed, vast amounts of data. We need front end, back end, payment system, subscription system. There are so many parts that need to work, not to mention that the load on the system will be quite heavy (Hopefully :) ). The private beta was not conducted on the final platform, it was a very simple system set up only for the beta. It only listed the materials and allowed for download, it had nothing else, not even a search system. The beta was aimed towards testing the materials and not the delivery system. Hope that clears it up!
  • Falkrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Eric!
    As you mention DDO and NDO have made very good progress, but what about Megascans? If it such a complicate service and it need a lot of time to prepare, it will brake release of 1.9?
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Falkrum! No I don't think so, we should be able to allocate resources so that both projects can progress accordingly to plan! We are very eager to push out the next release of the suite as soon as possible as it really unleashes the power of megascans, especially with the 3D painting!
  • Falkrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Falkrum! No I don't think so, we should be able to allocate resources so that both projects can progress accordingly to plan! We are very eager to push out the next release of the suite as soon as possible as it really unleashes the power of megascans, especially with the 3D painting!

Hope so, Eric! Just purchase it, so i am in too! I will try to be useful with my feedback and be able get your support.

Do you still planing to make some tutorials?
  • David1983
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @loggie24

The point here is very simple, in a world where people sympathize with someone or something blind, didn't question they way a company handles they're products, support and customers, you can't hope for symphaty, even if you are right.

Writing that i have posted over and over again the same critics is just absurd, i simply wrote my opinion down or wrote a answer if someone posted something about me.

And by the way, i still have the same opinion, even when board administration tryed to prohbit my opinion. The quixel support is still a bad joke and we are now for almost 8 months without any update left. I never experienced something like that with software before.

And for the community, polycount is one of the best forums i have seen so far. But it is also true that a lot of members are scared to write what they think, cause they simply fear to experience the same think i have experienced. I got a lot of mails from members i even didn't know, they wrote that they see it the same way like me but have no intention to get in the middle of a shit storm :-)
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    David1983 wrote: »
    Writing that i have posted over and over again the same critics is just absurd

You know that anyone can read your post history, right?
  • David1983
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    absolutly, i wasn't posting nonsense or a stupid loop about my opinion. It was a simple conversation or answers to different users. And of course some parts of my topics are a kind of repeating, cause i had and have a clear opinion about all this. And this simply happens in a conversation or dispute situation.

When talking about repeating parts, we can also delte 90% of your posts "synaesthesia" and other users here in this thread. Cause people attacked me over and over again with the same question and opinions.

Funny that no one is talking about all the other repeating posts ? Also funny that someone who comes fresh to this thread noticed right way that my opinion wasn't respect at all but resenable.

How ever i'm not interested in going on with this thread, cause it simply makes no sense. It's like giving critic to the fans of a football team, they will love they're team no matter if they lose or win, or play good or simply shi***.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Guys come on. Seriously. Megascans thread. I totally understand your issues but this isn't the thread for it. You expressed them. Why keep repeating it over and over?
  • Tripl3M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tripl3M polycounter lvl 2
    Can you at least show us some screenshots or some models textured using megascan or the 3d painting ?
This discussion has been closed.