Home General Discussion

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    on the subject of releasing DLC in a delyed fashion just to "improve you image" to a bunch of un-educated internet babies....thats a really dumb business decision.  There is a always going to be a hungry group of fans who finish the main game in 24 hours and want more. Also, why would a company not ride the wave of current public attention around their product. Unless you are GTA 5....chances are your sales numbers droppoff is going to be huge anything past 2-3 weeks.

Game studios and publishers are a business. They exist solely to make money. This is entrepreneurship 101. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either highly uneducated or just plain lying to themselves about how the world works. A company is always trying to get the highest return on investment as possible, and usually use a shit ton more numbers and facts than the standard reddit/kotaku/ign comments "experts" on what business decisions would work best for their "public image".

If a company invests 1-2 million dollars in developing additional DLC, why would they sit on it until the long tail of their game is coming on, their audience is decreased by 90% due to the fact a ton of other high profile games have come out in the several months since release, having a huge droppoff in their numbers. That would be pretty much the stupidest thing they could do, all to satisfy a minority of internet crybabies. for every 1 person crying online there are 9 other people just enjoying the game, or if they don't like it....moving on with their lives. But no, great suggestion...release DLC 6 months later to satisfy public opinion of uneducated internet experts. 

Then create a polycount thread mourning the loss of yet another studio, saying how the industry is getting harder to break into. 
  • Bhrazz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bhrazz polycounter lvl 17
    You guys know the DLC is not out yet? The only ''extra'' is a special mission.
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    fdfxd2 said:

I was  asking about  the microtransactions not the dlc
    I already know why DLC exists, it's mostly common sense.
    Oh I apologize.

I personally hate game-breaking microtransactions, but really don't care if it's cosmetic or if you chose to ruin your single player experience.

Some people liked playing the original DOOM in God mode with infinite BFG. I don't think the devs really care about them, and if the publishers want them pay for that crap, they can go nuts.

I think the vocal gamer public raging about this are such a small minority.

IMHO There's a huge difference between the people who vote with their wallets, and people who rage about things online. I'm sure if there was any real detriment to the product, or if this lead to lower profitability, publishers would stop doing it.

Well.. I guess you have a point there, I think a lot of the rage stems from the possibility of a game being designed around the microtransactions
    https://youtu.be/fHszeYz5Mi0
    But you know what, as long as the game isn't designed from the start to incentivize buying praxis instead of finding them
    it's fine.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    on the subject of releasing DLC in a delyed fashion just to "improve you image" to a bunch of un-educated internet babies....thats a really dumb business decision.  There is a always going to be a hungry group of fans who finish the main game in 24 hours and want more. Also, why would a company not ride the wave of current public attention around their product. Unless you are GTA 5....chances are your sales numbers droppoff is going to be huge anything past 2-3 weeks.

Game studios and publishers are a business. They exist solely to make money. This is entrepreneurship 101. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either highly uneducated or just plain lying to themselves about how the world works. A company is always trying to get the highest return on investment as possible, and usually use a shit ton more numbers and facts than the standard reddit/kotaku/ign comments "experts" on what business decisions would work best for their "public image".

If a company invests 1-2 million dollars in developing additional DLC, why would they sit on it until the long tail of their game is coming on, their audience is decreased by 90% due to the fact a ton of other high profile games have come out in the several months since release, having a huge droppoff in their numbers. That would be pretty much the stupidest thing they could do, all to satisfy a minority of internet crybabies. for every 1 person crying online there are 9 other people just enjoying the game, or if they don't like it....moving on with their lives. But no, great suggestion...release DLC 6 months later to satisfy public opinion of uneducated internet experts. 

Then create a polycount thread mourning the loss of yet another studio, saying how the industry is getting harder to break into. 
    I'm just curious have you every thought perhaps people don't purchase games anymore due to the pricing schemes ? There is no question plenty of potential buyers skip it depending on any microtrans or DLC.  Companies have to weight the options and plenty do. Its up to each company if they are willing to take the risk or not and how they want to present it to the customer.  

The same could be said in reverse , don't complain when a company goes out of business for poor consumer relationships and no one buys their products anymore.  It's a double edge sword, i support plenty of DLC and Microtransactions . I think I have bought every Company of Heroes 2 content DLC but its on a case by case basis.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Is that what I think it is?

yeaaahh.. I made his hair, and ummm.. one of his buttons.

XD

(Huge shoutout to Seth Thomas)

I'm really happy this was found

(Spoiler Alert)

• gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6

snip
    His hair looks so good dude, you guys did a fantastic job with the characters. Don't own the game yet but I've been pretty blown away with their visual fidelity just in the few hours of videos I've seen. Awesome stuff! :)
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    Just wanted to say this game is fucking awesome. I was worried it might not be as good as Human Revolution but its as every bit as good. Just did a mission where there were 4 or 5 ways to do the mission and I'm sure there were probably more.

I'm really enjoying my time with it. Hats off to the folks at Eidos Montreal.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Has anyone come across any good lets play's ?
  • marimari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marimari null
    that pin really stood out to me, now i know what it is. also how red his eyes were.
    really great game! loved both Human Revolution and now Mankind Divided!
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    hate to bring this up again but eh... you're on the spot light for microtransactions again...
    https://youtu.be/9sBtkU2eJ4Y
  • Pioldes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pioldes polycounter lvl 5
    I gotta say that there are fair points to Jim's criticism for sure.

I think a great solution would have been to remove the micro-transactions from the main game, keep them in  Breach, and release it the multiplayer mode as a stand-alone F2P title.

It could serve to generate a bit of buzz towards the main game while allowing all the extra revenue from micro-transactions. Hell, it would probably even generate more, considering the game would have a much bigger player base, being free for all.

You get more people playing and none of the bad press from micro-transactions in a full-price title. Seems like a win-win to me.
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Pioldes said:
    I gotta say that there are fair points to Jim's criticism for sure.

I think a great solution would have been to remove the micro-transactions from the main game, keep them in  Breach, and release it the multiplayer mode as a stand-alone F2P title.

It could serve to generate a bit of buzz towards the main game while allowing all the extra revenue from micro-transactions. Hell, it would probably even generate more, considering the game would have a much bigger player base, being free for all.

You get more people playing and none of the bad press from micro-transactions in a full-price title. Seems like a win-win to me.
    But one thing I have to fault jim for is that I'm pretty sure the reason eidos upped the price of the praxis was because of narrative reasons and not to incentivize buying the microtransactions.

• AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This game is shaping up to be a GOTY contender for me, for sure.
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has anyone come across any good lets play's ?
    Check out DSP Gaming.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    fdfxd2 said:
    hate to bring this up again but eh... you're on the spot light for microtransactions again...
    "youtube garbage"

They'd have to fire up the large hadron collider to measure the fucks I give about the opinion of a youtube critic.  Especially this uninformed donut.
    But hey that doesn't mean that all his criticism is invalid.

though I do agree,

he's not the sharpest tool in the shed.
  • melli06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melli06 polycounter lvl 2
    @skyline5gtr Jesse Cox is doing one. I find him pretty funny  personally.
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
  • Magihat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    3 Jimqusition videos on one page. I think it's time to stop. Especially since this latest one is just about how a publisher, the people who pay for the game to be made, have opinions about how it is made. Not a huge revelation, really.
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 said:
    @Magihat

Yeah but an anonymous contact... was hoping that somebody would confirm it.
    No, seriously, stop.
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    fdfxd2 said:
    @Magihat

Yeah but an anonymous contact... was hoping that somebody would confirm it.
    No, seriously, stop.
    Fine, come to think of it.. it's a bit irresponsible on my part.
    Might be risking someones livelihood
    sorry.
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    Not sure what's happening in here but anyways, to move things along.

I've been playing the game for about 4-5 hours now and am loving it, Prague is one of the closest game environments I've come across that feels like a living place. Had some pretty piss poor performance initially (I'm on PC) but having dropped a few settings down it's now stable and very enjoyable.

Easy Aliies did a review that I think sums up my thoughts pretty well from what I've played of the game so far:

edit: I'll never remember how to successfully embed youtube videos :P
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwe3zFYHti0

Congrats to the team! It gets a big thumbs up from me!
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Well let's forget the Microtransactions and let's talk about the actual game... (ironic, I know because I'm the one who brought it up :/ )

But anyway
    The environment art is indeed amazing

I really don't want the concept art to go the way of wipeout 2048 and Call of duty black ops 2 where you can barely find any concept art of anything meaningful so..
    please please do an art dump!

• The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    If you look, the aug side of the metro is trashed and dirty while the natural side is pretty much spotless. Bit heavy handed on the themic imagery, but I noticed last night for the first time and laughed a little. (not sure it's been mentioned in the thread, but try taking the train from the naturals side for a unique dialogue) 
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    I am very excited to play this game, but I am still waiting for a couple of optimization patches for PC before I go for it, since I've read people are mentioning fps drops and long loading times etc. Anyway, the game is beautiful from what i've seen!
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    I have played the game.

The City Hub is good looking but the design choice to make only one Hub was bad. The metro system for distances you can often walk faster is rather useless. When you stroll in the city, as a Master Hacker, the city is your playground and xp leech area. HR has with Chicago and Shangai two big City Hubs which are maybe smaller but the variety is important and as game designer you have more possibilites to manage things.
    This result for me was that i was bored after i strolled at the beginning in the city because the variety lacks.
    At the other hand the Metro system with more smaller city Hubs and big variety i think are better. When some areas are only accessable when the Mainstory let you have a reason the visit some locations.

Second dissapointment was the lack of talking options and results. When you give someone 2-3 Options to talk then please with a big effect. I hate it when i have maybe the evidence that someone is traitor in the pocket but can talk only nice or not so nice and it changes nothing. I mean you start as a double agent and you finish the game as a double agent. I have not the feeling that i can change things with dialog options. Yes there mabye some changes and a few at the end are clear visible in a very small extent but the "feeling" is not existent.

And final. Make Jenson use the secrets he find better. Jenson is a sponge which so much evil conspiration info but he never use it. Every new secret is comes in the file cabinet "use in a DLC or never".
  • noodlemantra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After hearing about the various bugs, I'm just glad I've been too busy to play beyond the first 10 minutes. Hopefully things will firm up just as my sched start to clear. Fingers crossed.
  • PollySong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PollySong polycounter lvl 14
    I'm having big problems with this game. After starting/restarting the game I can't load any save games, it just gets to 75-80% and stops, no disk activity in task manager. The loading/saving seem to work while in the same "session", but not after restart. I got past it once by loading an old save from a different area, but now none of them work. This is extermely annoying/frustrating and I'm about done with it.

Steam, w10, gtx1070. I've tried everything I can find on google, nothing helps. Anyone have this? Any tips?
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I haven't really had any issue with bugs in the game, except I got stuck at some point in Jensons storage, couldn't get out. Apart from that I really enjoy the game, though I can see things that could be improved, such as the AI. For example, it feels weird that the shop owners doesn't complain that you walk into their basements, or you can just take peoples stuff while they are in the apartments.

I managed, so far, going all non-lethal which kinda backfired when I meet drones that wanted to kill me, since I didn't have any damage guns on me (funny enough, darts doesn't really do much against them ;) ). But after the reload, I managed to use some of my upgrades to take them down.
    That the city changes when the night came was really neat, and there is a lot of ways to get somewhere, which I like.
    I need to do a playthrough with lethal methods because I never get to use my weapons. :) Plus need to try the other decisions.

I haven't had any issues with savegames at all, but I guess you tried to verify your cache in steam?
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Heh, just completed the game and noticed in the credits that not only wasn't greentooth sneaked in, it was actually acknowledged! :)

• AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, I saw that too. :+1:
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Finally got my hands on the game,

gotta say,
    I'm impressed that it runs *mostly* well in my crappy PC, I honestly don't know what people were on about with the whole "It's badly optimized" thing

And good job in the arabic accents(though it sounds more Egyptian than gulf Arabic, maybe its just me.)