Home Marmoset

Marmoset Viewer IS OUT!

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What sort of hardware/browser/os/gpu do your friends have? If you can get me that info I may be able to give you more useful information.

Getting hardware information out of WebGL is very difficult, so unfortunately, there isn't a simple solution to hardware detecting/performance settings at this time.

Also, your friends should make sure they have the latest GPU drivers and browser versions. Firefox had a lot of issues with WebGL before the latest version.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    When viewing the list of view modes, the text is cut off for me. Doesn't matter if I'm in normal of fullscreen either.

Firefox 37.0.1, Win8, 7870 w/ Catalyst 13.12 (outdated)
  • aelwine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aelwine polycounter lvl 6
    So, I went back home and tried with 3 different browsers.
    no problems whatsoever with IE and Chrome but it's still reversed in Firefox.

I checked the version and it's the latest build, 37.0.1

At work, firefox seemed to perfom worse than chrome as well with some lagging issues while rotating the model, especially on one of my coworker's machine (firefox 37.0.1 and windows 8 )

Edit : as a follow up, I actually have a similar problem with sketchfab apparently. So it's probably a firefox webGL bug
  • Count Vertsalot
    Chrome and Nvidia here. No problems at all.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    I can't confirm the rotation problems on firefox, the models seem rotated correctly here. Then again, I'm using a 64bit offshoot called CyberFox, version 35.

However, once I got over the "wow luls marmoset in mah browserz!" effect, things do look a little strange - everything's way sparkly.

EDIT: upgraded to Cyberfox v37.01, and gloss values seem to be just fine now. Impressive viewer guys!

kzGbBsD.png

4TtDdW2.jpg

C6msiex.jpg

(Windows 7 64bit, GeForce GTX 660 Driver version 347.52)
  • Count Vertsalot
    I just tested Firefox and it's fine for me. No rotation problems, no sparkles.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek wrote: »
    When viewing the list of view modes, the text is cut off for me. Doesn't matter if I'm in normal of fullscreen either.

Firefox 37.0.1, Win8, 7870 w/ Catalyst 13.12 (outdated)

That's a new one. Can you try updating your GPU drivers and see if that fixes it?

Also, try restarting your browser, and try to reset page scaling (ctrl+0) to see if that helps.
    aelwine wrote: »
    So, I went back home and tried with 3 different browsers.
    no problems whatsoever with IE and Chrome but it's still reversed in Firefox.

I checked the version and it's the latest build, 37.0.1

At work, firefox seemed to perfom worse than chrome as well with some lagging issues while rotating the model, especially on one of my coworker's machine (firefox 37.0.1 and windows 8 )

Edit : as a follow up, I actually have a similar problem with sketchfab apparently. So it's probably a firefox webGL bug

There shouldn't be significant differences in performance with Chrome and FF in my experience. One issue with firefox is that it has poor memory management/memory leaking problems. So, if you're testing in a FF window that has been open for a day or two, try closing it out entirely and restarting it.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing wrote: »
    EDIT: upgraded to Cyberfox v37.01, and gloss values seem to be just fine now. Impressive viewer guys!

Yeah, your special build was probably using an outdated version of the FF codebase. The last update fixed some very significant FF WebGL bugs that would explain the issues you were seeing.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    That's a new one. Can you try updating your GPU drivers and see if that fixes it?

Also, try restarting your browser, and try to reset page scaling (ctrl+0) to see if that helps.
    Tried it again today and the text was not cut off (haven't changed anything) so I'll see if I can find a way to reproduce the cutoff. Now that the text isn't cutoff I notice there are buttons in the top right for the layers; good design that I was still able to access those views even though those buttons were cut off by double clicking in the viewport.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok great, yeah please let me know if you can repro it and I will log it here. Thanks!
  • jStins
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Just checked out the demo stuff and it's looking great! (Chrome, nVidia, Win7). Can't wait to try it out authoring some stuff myself. Love the breakdown options as well. Nice work guys.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Hey, I managed to find a reproduce case for the text cutoff. I was looking at Charle's thread for his cyborg lady and noticed that cutoff there. The only obvious difference to me is the embedded version on his portfolio uses a fixed pixel-based width while the showcase above uses a percentage based width, and allows fullscreen. So I'm not too sure how I got the cutoff originally on the showcase; perhaps noscript had some part in it.

edit: Spoke too soon; restarting firefox fixed it again. Hmmm.

Also, any reason why the tri/vert count are broken up the way they are with commas? Like 2400 is displayed as 24,00 rather than 2,400.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    How will the viewer load the files ?

Will it update mesh & texture files in real-time ?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete wrote: »
    How will the viewer load the files ?

Your set up your scene in Toolbag, and then export it, which optimizes/compresses the scene content and saves it into a self-contained .mview file.
    Will it update mesh & texture files in real-time ?

No, you have to manually re-export the scene to update the file, which can take a little bit of time with more complex scenes.
  • Lt_Commander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lt_Commander polycounter lvl 10
    Seeing the viewer on artstation is making me excited! It all runs silky smooth on Chrome.
  • meshiah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meshiah polycounter lvl 17
    can one of you guys re export the demo scene,,,trying to use it as an example, but the page sais it needs a re-export with a newer version...

http://viewer.marmoset.co/test/polyview.html
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meshiah wrote: »
    can one of you guys re export the demo scene,,,trying to use it as an example, but the page sais it needs a re-export with a newer version...

http://viewer.marmoset.co/test/polyview.html

Hey, thanks, that link should be working now.

If you're looking for example scenes to show to people, also check out:
    http://viewer.marmoset.co/test/gdcgallery.html and http://www.joewilson3dart.com - my wip folio
  • meshiah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice, thanks man! much appreciated..great work btw, haven't been sold on any of the previous online 3d viewers. this is looking stellar.

on a very general note, any eta on animation support. (looking at this for potential UI integration). animation support is sort of the deal breaker for ingame UI atm...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Animation is something we do want to support, unfortunately we're still at the R&D stage, so that's really a long term goal.

Can you give me some more specifics on what you mean by UI in relation to animation? UI in terms of user interface design?
  • meshiah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    right on,

to clarify i should have said menue/select screens, my bad (i use UI as a blanket for all menue/select screen stuff).

animation needs are most likely a range from a simple breath cycle for the characters, to dynamic swapping of weapons/skins or decals, and calling of animation segments. (ideally with streaming texture/model support)

using this viewer could bring a consistent look to the in game menus and web browser/moble.
    customizing weapons/characters could be done anywhere (like the battlefield browser launch pad) but everything is 3d and customize-able (and pretty). just be a cool way to show off skins, maybe some cool wepage marketing scenes. and doesn't cost us extra dev time to do some of the features we would only use in the UI screens. eg, high end features we may not be able to use for in game (60fps). skin, anisotropic, good alpha, area lights, etc.

just spit ballin ideas.
  • Polyjunky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polyjunky greentooth
    Hi guys, really liking the viewer. Got some weird results with a few models on Artstation though. When I looked at Satoshi's Batman and Yosuke's dragon I got a white sphere and only wireframe visible respectively. I've attached an image.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Juju wrote: »
    Hi guys, really liking the viewer. Got some weird results with a few models on Artstation though. When I looked at Satoshi's Batman and Yosuke's dragon I got a white sphere and only wireframe visible respectively. I've attached an image.

Hey, what device/gpu/os/etc are you using? Are you using the beta version of chrome by chance? If so, please try the regular release.
  • Polyjunky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polyjunky greentooth
    I'm using Chrome Version 43.0.2357.45 m (64-bit) on my PC, Win 7 Ultimate and I've got a GTX Geforce 680.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Juju wrote: »
    I'm using Chrome Version 43.0.2357.45 m (64-bit) on my PC, Win 7 Ultimate and I've got a GTX Geforce 680.

Did you have the chrome beta installed at some point?

I've managed to get this build, but only after installing the beta, uninstalling, and reinstalling.

The current stable build of chrome is 42.0.2311.135 m - which most people should have, so I'm curious as to how you got the 43.* build, if it updated automatically or if you purposely installed it.

I'm trying to figure out how to roll back, but it may not be possible.

Thanks

EDIT: I was able get back to the stable build by installing and downloading the 42.* installer here: http://www.downloadcrew.com/article/23259-google_chrome_stable
  • Polyjunky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polyjunky greentooth
    I think I might have installed the beta ages ago. I then installed the normal version over it. I might have to uninstall and reinstall to see if that works.
  • Polyjunky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polyjunky greentooth
    Okay done. That did the trick. the dirty, dirty beta version was messing with the viewer. Thanks, Joe.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok great, glad to hear it.
  • CreativeHD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeHD polycounter lvl 6
    This looks great! Can't wait to try it!
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I put together several viewer scenes to test the limits of what you can put in a browser.

prop with 4k textures:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/handplane-sample-model-marmoset-viewer

High poly models with vertex color AO:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/maliwan-pistol-for-borderlands-2

Scene with multiple 2k res materials (scroll to the bottom):
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/airplane-props-for-the-forest
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    I can't seem to view your models AlecMoody, only the scene with 2K materials works, the rest look like this:

issuee.jpg

There's this constant flickering, looks like a corrupted mesh (all vertices connected with eachother), really weird. I don't have any issues with other Viewer scenes from the web. What could this be?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    try doing ctrl+f5 and then reloading the scene.
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Hey works now!
  • AlexeyFanta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexeyFanta polycounter lvl 9
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    I put together several viewer scenes to test the limits of what you can put in a browser.

prop with 4k textures:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/handplane-sample-model-marmoset-viewer

High poly models with vertex color AO:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/maliwan-pistol-for-borderlands-2

Scene with multiple 2k res materials (scroll to the bottom):
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/airplane-props-for-the-forest

Working nice and spice )
    spec Laptop ASUS X550DP with 8 gb ram + Firefox
  • tungerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    Artstation has viewer option for uploads now?
    or justa beta team test driving?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtStation does support uploading .mview files, however, currently only beta users have access to the build that allows .mview exporting.
  • tungerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    Ahhh....
    Suspected a covert mission (
  • Rikk The Gaijin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rikk The Gaijin polycounter lvl 6
    Seems to work pretty good, how long before the release?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, we don't have a release date yet, but the beta is going well so far.
  • MultiCamil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So far Sketchfab is still better solution for me as for a 3d viewer, mostly because of loading times. Not much people will bother to wait a minute till the model loads to see it on my portfolio website. Comparable model loads way faster in Sfab. Marmo wins as far as static renders are concerned. Other thing, Marmoset Viewer is still beta. I hope this can be fixed. :>
  • Count Vertsalot
    That's weird. Both Sketchfab and p3d.in load much slower than Marmoset Viewer for me. Marmoset is the only one that loads all the textures at the same time because it uses a custom file type. All the other 3D viewers make you wait to load textures separately so you're waiting for multiple downloads and then scene compiling. I don't see how they can ever be faster.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marmoset Viewer scenes load in about 5-8 seconds on average for me (with the exception of extremely large/complex files). What site are you seeing poor load times with? It's possible that it's a problem with your connection, or the site's servers.

Can you tell me how long these scenes take to load: http://joewilson3dart.com/

Thanks
  • Chris Krüger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably a stupid question, but here it goes; Would it be possible to use the viewer in some kind of "offline manner"? One of my clients really don't want to watch stuff online. He'd like to watch it on his computer offline. "Security reasons" he says...

Second question;
    Would it be possible to use WASD to move around?
  • MultiCamil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was comparing the loading times on artstation and loading a marmoset viewer took ages, while even more complex objects with multiple materials from sketcfab were taking few seconds. The link you gave contains a simple object and it loads pretty fast- true (2-3 sec). Maybe it's matter of embed'ing. But on the other hand, most of the models we look at are embed on facebook, behance, artstation, polycount or other websites. Not directly from marmoset links.

OH, and I have pretty fast connection and powerful hardware. Using firefox.

EDIT: Aaaand now I realized my argument is invalid, as the link comes from someoene's portfolio. Then, maybe it's matter of artstation?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MultiCamil wrote: »
    I was comparing the loading times on artstation and loading a marmoset viewer took ages, while even more complex objects with multiple materials from sketcfab were taking few seconds. The link you gave contains a simple object and it loads pretty fast- true (2-3 sec). Maybe it's matter of embed'ing. But on the other hand, most of the models we look at are embed on facebook, behance, artstation, polycount or other websites. Not directly from marmoset links.

OH, and I have pretty fast connection and powerful hardware. Using firefox.

EDIT: Aaaand now I realized my argument is invalid, as the link comes from someoene's portfolio. Then, maybe it's matter of artstation?

The scenes on my folio are roughly comparable to the average scene you will find on ArtStation (which has a 15MB scene limit). My scenes are in the 5-22MB range. I posted some of them on AS too, can you try loading these and see if they load slower there: https://www.artstation.com/artist/earthquake

Thanks
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    It may have been artstation having bandwidth problems. Yesterday some models on artstation took 2-10 minutes to load for me. I just tried the same models again and they loaded in a few seconds. I also tried your camera lens on both artstation and your portfolio Joe, and they loaded in the exact same time (6.5 seconds).

Oh, one question since I'm posting here: Since the html calls the script from marmosets website, this means the viewer won't work if the marmoset website is down, right?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, that is correct, however, ArtStation hosts a mirror of the Viewer code, so even if our site is down ArtStation will still work.
  • PadreZippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PadreZippo polycounter lvl 4
    ( I'm from Sketchfab )

We try to display the model as fast as possible even without all the resources. You can add ?waitresources=1 in the URL and the viewer will wait to have all resources before displaying the scene.

Right now we are using original textures uploaded by the user (or the closest power of 2 texture we can generate), so if you have big PNG files we will serve them. We are working to improve this with texture compression. It will reduce the loading times significantly.

Looks like the waitresources parameter works in PC embed:

[SKETCHFAB]e324cfef06534c60955dc5f05bc447ce?waitresources=1[/SKETCHFAB]

VS

[SKETCHFAB]e324cfef06534c60955dc5f05bc447ce[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Goshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goshi polycounter lvl 5
    hey guys,

could make a goooood use of the viewer for creating my portfoilo kind of website - were can I get a copy of it???

best regards
  • tungerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    I believe in the next release my friend
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, Marmoset Viewer will be released publicly with the 2.07 update, which we are working hard to get ready.