Home General Discussion

Overwatch - Team Arena Shooter by Blizzard

Replies

• TaylorMouse
    Offline / Send Message
    TaylorMouse polycounter lvl 10
    I only have a virtual ticket, but when Metzen presented it on the opening ceremony, ... it was breath taking, knowing they have been working on it for about 15 years!!

Btw: on the Overwatch Panel, when the question about Titan was raised, this was NOT a mini game, since the game was only playable only for six months ( as was stated by Blizzard's CEO Mark Morhaime in an interview right after the opening ceremony )

T.
  • soulstice
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    Jesus this game is beautiful. What a pleasant surprise from Blizzcon!
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    *commence fanboyism since I have an unhealthy relation to all things blizzard and it's a new awesome title with fantastic visuals and designs*

fangirl_cry.gif
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Looks pretty cool, but based on the CG it also appears to be marketed more toward kids. It had a very strong Disney vibe to it.
    I pray to God that voice chat has a mute option at release.
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Looks pretty cool, but based on the CG it also appears to be marketed more toward kids. It had a very strong Disney vibe to it.

LOL! :D
    Some of the normals almost look hand-painted. Blizzard constantly raising the bar of stylized graphics!

How do you mean?
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    This looks incredible, awesome stuff yall! Impressive not just in the visuals, but how it was announced, playable on the floor, and signups available for alpha, huge press kit. Feels like the publishing side of Blizzard has grown up a lot from the "show a cinematic and 4 years later we'll tell you about the game again."

its grounded, can relate to it, characters are vibrant, really well done.
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Blond wrote: »

DAT G.I

My only concerns about this would be the ingame animations but you can't have everything I guess.

Blizzard got some very talented animators.

ARuyKQ8.gif

Literally the first time a game character impressed me with acting.
  • JFletcher
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Grimwolf wrote: »

The irony here is that all those kids are playing the 'mature' realistic modern shooters. :)
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    A very peculiar project! I'd be very interested in learning of its development history, because it seems so far removed from Blizzard's comfort zone -- so much that it's a bit jarring to me. The art is vibrant and full of character, but the rest is less so. Like in the cinematic trailer, which has a cheeky voiceover intro and tries hard to be pixaresque with two kids, but fails at that because it is, in the end, still a heartless, gritty fight scene. I guess I'm confused that the art style promises a divergence from Blizzard's usual fare into something more joyous, whereas the tone and content of the trailers don't actually differ that much from previous projects. Does that make sense?
  • tadpole3159
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    English people don't speak like that...
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably not that common to run around with a Union Jack on your coat either. Maybe she's just a huge fan of British people?
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    Spoon wrote: »
    How do you mean?

I just think some of the normals, mostly this one :

MFh2Twn.jpg

Looks alot like they painted the normals by hand instead of doing a full sculpt. Kinda like Copernicus did on some of their textures? The first picture looks like just the normals and then a tiling texture. While the other part looks more like someone painted normals on top of a handpainted texture :) ( they're both the same normals (but flipped?) but used with different base colors?)

It just caught my eye, I don't know if it's true, obviously! But damn everything about Overwatch looks really good!
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    She sounded Australian to me.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Kryzon wrote: »
    She sounded Australian to me.
    I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be Cockney.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    the first thing I though was "this is how Wildstar should be". Then again different games. Art style is slick. But somehow there's nothing that surprises me a lot. Even the pretty flawless execution is something expected. Hope to see more of the art though - a concept art dump for this would get me excited though!
  • PhilipK
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilipK polycounter lvl 10
    Lots of fun to work on this! Hope you guys sign up for the beta! :)

Bram found a site with collected environment screens if you guys are interested: http://www.gameplanet.com.au/pc/galleries/g545d4149dd53d/Overwatch-environments-screenshots/
  • EtotheRic
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    iniside wrote: »
    Yawn. We really don't need yet another FPS 0o.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvUSd70QM3c

Looks familiar ?

Oh, so 3 of that kind are too much ?
    God forbid players have choice between more than one game.
    Better call the oversaturation police, for them to define what players should
    like, and to put the ones, that like 2 similar games in prison, where
    all the people reside that have an xbox AND playstation or maybe like dota and league at the same time!

/rolleyes

Game looks very nice, I was surprised to see a different artstyle
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Battleborn? That's... not really TF2-style FPS, though. It's... got a campaign and all that stuff, and I'm super looking forward to that too. Kinda looks MOBA-inspired, which is kinda rad, and Gearbox have a history of trying to put twists on their FPSs (...Borderlands probably being the finest example imo but hey), so I wouldn't actually doubt it. Looks like fun to me.

Battlecry channels TF2/Arena/objective-based FPS games way more, despite the fact it's third-person action... It's arena and class based.

Seriously though Battleborn looks nothing like this, to me at least, and beyond that... why not have more than one? They all look like a good time!
  • Saf
    Offline / Send Message
    Saf polycounter lvl 11
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX3PPiQPfCg"]Blizzcon 2014: OverWatch Unveiled Panel - YouTube[/ame]
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Art : Great
    Cinematic : Awesome
    Game : Uhm, haven't we seen this type before?

I just couldn't get excited by what appeared to be a mashing of several games together. The dialogue reminded me of the Wildstar cinematics.

It will do well, but this seemed very formulaic.

*The idea is not in the game, it's in the Cinematic. Turn that into a feature film and I'll be first in line.

Blizzard would make a lot more on a project like that with the additional marketing merchandise, than they ever would on the game.
  • WarrenM
    Game : Uhm, haven't we seen this type before?
    Where does this mentality come from that every game has to be absolutely unique in it's gameplay? Can't a game just be solid, polished and well executed?
  • unit187
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    It is kind of strange mentality indeed. In the matter of fact people enjoy familiar game mechanics more often than not.
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    hate to be that guy, but it looks really friggin' generic. I mean like a mish mash of styles and trends and gameplay mechanics over the past 7 years thrown into a blender.

art looks great though.
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Fuiosg wrote: »
    hate to be that guy, but it looks really friggin' generic. I mean like a mish mash of styles and trends and gameplay mechanics over the past 7 years thrown into a blender.

art looks great though.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you. Looks pretty and might have a few interesting gameplay mechanics, but it doesn't really have that Blizzard character you come to expect from them. Diablo, Warcraft, Starcraft, they all have very unique personalities, whereas this feels like a more generic universe.
  • low odor
  • Bedrock
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    Let me guess, people think that Starcraft, Diablo and WoW were all unique snowflakes when they came to fruition? Improving is Blizzard's schtick, not inventing.

Having said that, the characters do feel a little too scrambled together... but my (optimistic) theory is that they are starting out it with distinctive "races" to appeal to as many people as possible and THEN they will churn out characters within the same theme. Kinda like how in League of Legends all characters from Frejlord share a similar winter theme.
  • Renaud Galand
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Hey guys, thank you so much for positive response and the feedback! Looks like the second panel found its way on youtube as well. This one is more about the cinematic and the art direction.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOYX2A2JOk0"]BlizzCon 2014 - Overwatch: Origins - YouTube[/ame]

I can't wait to be able to show more.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I can't wait to be able to show more.

I'd love to see more. Especially of the concept art.
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Yes Renaud, Mail us secret concept arts. ;)
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I think I'm worried this'll take too much from the Free to Play MOBA bandwagon, in that there'll be a pile of characters with a fairly broad 'skill tree' of sorts. I'm not sure I'd want to have to deal with the commitment to learn all that stuff to play reasonably. I could handle maybe up to around 9 classes with more limited sets of abilities, but more than that and stuff gets too much for something fast and match based..

It's one of the reasons I don't bother with MOBAs (that and the horrifyingly toxic communities).
  • Clos3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Clos3d polycounter lvl 17
    low odor wrote: »
    fnueAPi.png?1

I'm just gonna refer to a quote I really like, because everytime a blockbuster movie,TVshow or even a videogame is launched, I think of that quote:

'' Because the network officials say you're not smart enough to get what I'm doing, and every day I fight for you. I tell them how smart you are. Turns out, I was wrong. You people are stupid''

-Dave Chappelle
  • Wahlgren
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Clos3d wrote: »
    I'm just gonna refer to a quote I really like, because everytime a blockbuster movie,TVshow or even a videogame is launched, I think of that quote:

'' Because the network officials say you're not smart enough to get what I'm doing, and every day I fight for you. I tell them how smart you are. Turns out, I was wrong. You people are stupid''

-Dave Chappelle

The burdens of a staggering intellect- it must be difficult

One thing's for sure, Overwatch looks stupid good
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Game looks phenomenal! Huge shoutout to the amazeballs art team.

Some of the doubters need to actually PLAY a Blizzard Game before criticizing the gameplay.

The things you should expect are:

- Huge Scope
    - Perfectly balanced
    - Unprescedented levels of polish
    - Ridiculously addictive gameplay
    - Easy to learn/impossible to master

Blizzard is like the James Cameron of Video Games than an indie. Innovation for the sake od being different isn't high on their list of priorities.

Blizzard is about creating an epic Magnum Opus style spectacle.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Fuiosg wrote: »

art looks great though.

Yea, none of their other games look generic.......... space marines? Demons? Orcs? come on.
  • Renaud Galand
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Hey guys, here's a sneak peak of the characters I worked on for the BlizzCon build :)

Matt "Empty" Taylor and HaiKai will post theirs too pretty soon :) We decided to just link our facebook "public" galleries for now and do a proper "Pimp & Preview" thread as soon as we can get approval to show more "behind the scene" images.

Here's mine :

https://www.facebook.com/RenaudGaland/media_set?set=a.10152359248586237.1073741826.625841236&type=3

TRCR05.jpg

I Hope you like it :)

-R
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Not getting the generic vibe, or the mishmash either. From a forum of artists, I'm pretty surprised that you guys don't see the shape, proportion, surface, and material uniformity of all the characters.

As far as generic goes, not getting that either. Well executed, reinvented ideas sure. But every idea is influenced by another. Can't say that there are a lot of "original" ideas on this board as it is. We're all a blender of our own and each other's ideas.

I for one think this game looks gorgeous, and fun, and considering it's coming from Blizzard I know for a FACT that it's going to be good.

Renaud: saw that last night, man! Thanks for putting all that up (was super sheepish about adding you as a friend, just followed instead).

I really want to know how you guys did your character hair. It looks amazing, and unlike any game hair I've seen before.
    10714545_10152359252366237_8446779346293215218_o.jpg
  • haikai
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Long time no see, Polycount! Here's a link to my facebook album of Overwatch characters: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152637704382562.1073741828.556777561&type=1&l=9c0b5b16aa

Like Renaud said, we'd love to post more once we get the go ahead, but that's probably not gonna happen anytime soon, haha. For now, I hope everyone enjoys the media that's out there now. If you were at Blizzcon and got to try the game out please let us know how you felt about it! :)

-hai
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for linking your profiles :) Following both, now.

I, too, am very curious about the hair. Is the process something you have time to shed light on for us?
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I knew it! Renaud was behind "Tracer" like too many other characters :)

In some screenshots there is like an egiptian statue with Pior's style. Glad you all can showcase all this, it's a nice work. It's not the usual blizzard style but i like it, it's different, fresh air.

Tell the animators to work in the eyes!
  • Empty
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Awesome work you guys, You should make a proper art dump in the pimping n previews section :)
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Makkon wrote: »
    Not getting the generic vibe, or the mishmash either. From a forum of artists, I'm pretty surprised that you guys don't see the shape, proportion, surface, and material uniformity of all the characters.

As far as generic goes, not getting that either. Well executed, reinvented ideas sure. But every idea is influenced by another. Can't say that there are a lot of "original" ideas on this board as it is. We're all a blender of our own and each other's ideas.

I think the over all "soso" reaction of you see from some, including myself at first, come's from:

1) Being so used to past Blizzard work, having expectations tied to it and a really high bar for them to meet.

2) The global illumination/lighting are also throwing some people off. It really changes the look and feel. When you slap a Blizzard sticker on it, it just feels misplaced.

3) Not seeing or experiencing the backstory/cinematic/panel first, which would help add context to some of the gameplay or character styles.

Over all, it feels like a bit of a departure from Blizzard's previous work... and thats bound to create barrier of appreciation. New things can take some time to get used to before appreciation can sink in.
  • Mcejn
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    loving it myself
    I`d rather have them create a fun game first and add backstory lateron, the character designs alone make you wonder about their stories already so theres enough stuff to be done there.
    got to play it at blizzcon for a few matches and you can really feel the potential for challenging gameplay once you get to know the different heroes
  • kyle.rau
    Offline / Send Message
    kyle.rau polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the kind words guys! I'm sure we will do an art dump when we are able to do some nice shots, but for now here are some of the weapons and equipment work I've done so far :)

Gallery: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10154834755445472.1073741830.588335471&type=1&l=8e24c31266

10623769_10154834756310472_812406801128081266_o.jpg
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Dataday wrote: »
    I think the over all "soso" reaction of you see from some, including myself at first, come's from:

1) Being so used to past Blizzard work, having expectations tied to it and a really high bar for them to meet.

2) The global illumination/lighting are also throwing some people off. It really changes the look and feel. When you slap a Blizzard sticker on it, it just feels misplaced.

3) Not seeing or experiencing the backstory/cinematic/panel first, which would help add context to some of the gameplay or character styles.

Over all, it feels like a bit of a departure from Blizzard's previous work... and thats bound to create barrier of appreciation. New things can take some time to get used to before appreciation can sink in.

For the harcore Blizzard fans, sure. I still find the accusation that it's generic or a mishmash to be unfounded; if you don't like the departure, there's no sense in calling it something it's not to reconcile your mixed feelings.
    I heard the same stuff from hardcore Valve fans when they made the style change for TF2. Still one of the best decisions they made.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Makkon wrote: »
    For the harcore Blizzard fans, sure. I still find the accusation that it's generic or a mishmash to be unfounded; if you don't like the departure, there's no sense in calling it something it's not to reconcile your mixed feelings.
    I heard the same stuff from hardcore Valve fans when they made the style change for TF2. Still one of the best decisions they made.

I disagree with the implication that only "hardcore blizzard fans" would have that reaction. The level of fandom doesnt really matter, just difference in expectations and bias.

The term generic or mishmash is merely the means to articulate a first impression. Generic is almost brandless, not unique in characteristics. Mishmash implies a "confused mixture" of visual and gameplay elements. I think these are just descriptions that are trying to explain a feeling, it might be unfounded and it might not be. It really depends on what you are presented with. If you look at the first gameplay video and dont look beyond that at anything else, you just see an assortment of DC comic like characters fitting into existing character types (ninja, monk, smart ape, gundam mecha, dwarven engineer..ect) fighting in arena's based on Egypt, Ancient Japan, and a jack the ripper themed british alleyway. I could argue that suggesting a generic or mishmash of themes and characters is some what accurate for a first impression.

The art isnt bad, in fact its great, but based on that first impression and having an expectation tied to previous blizzard work, its not surprising to have the reaction they did. Between the cinematic and the panels, it starts to feel a bit more unique and it helps create a perspective that can diminish the feelings of "generic-ness".

Again "Over all, it feels like a bit of a departure from Blizzard's previous work... and thats bound to create barrier of appreciation. New things can take some time to get used to before appreciation can sink in."

In regards to Valve's TF2, dont forget there was a TF1 before it. Naturally fans would feel a bit weird with such a drastic change to art direction. It doesnt mean the game is bad, or that the art is bad, but people being honest with their feelings and first impressions. Nothing wrong with that.

Anyways, at the end of the day its just arguing semantics. I find it a natural reaction to something a bit different from the usual blizzard style, in a market over-saturated with competitive shooters. You may not, we can agree to disagree.

Once people play the game, see more about the characters and world involved, they will probably warm up to it more.
  • R3D
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Very interested to see how it'll do and what kind of payment model they'll have (hats, anyone?). Without a doubt, unless it falls flat on its face like Brink, I think it'll do really well. The balancing I kind of worry about with the amount of characters and unique abilities.

Art wise, I can dig it, as many before of said, has a very "Pixar" look to it (solidified in the animated trailer).

I haven't looked too much into the map size so far, but does anyone know how large they are? Titanfall? Tribes Ascend? TF2?

Also get ready for full teams of nothing but Tracer.