Home General Discussion

Alien: Isolation

Replies

• MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    crazyfool wrote: »
    characters look cool too, great job guys :) games probably too scary for me haha, but looks AMAZING!!!!!

ripleytaylorsamuelsverlainejpg-886505.jpg

anyone know what studio worked on the characters ?
    they look great but they have a sort of Japanese developer look to it, specially on the faces (similar to resident evil).
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And the women are wearing actual clothes .. this game. THIS GAME!
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    MM wrote: »
    anyone know what studio worked on the characters ?
    they look great but they have a sort of Japanese developer look to it, specially on the faces (similar to resident evil).

Those were all done in-house by our character team. Faces were closely based on 3D scans of real people.
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    grat stuff guys ;)
  • Rayph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    So I have the biggest raging hard on for this game now. I was so pleasantly surprised at first but the excitement kept building and building. It is so wonderful to see the subtle nuance of the original film translated into this game. Especially the fact the alien is not fast and bouncing around the place. The original creature was a stalker, slow and methodical and some fans even debate a slight hint of sexual deviancy in it's mannerism (the scene where it kills lambert but runs it's tail up between her legs first)

I actually always enjoyed the...oddness of this cut scene. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR5jYeIMBKk"]Alien deleted scene: Alien attacks Lambert - good quality - YouTube[/ame]
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i'm so glad that scene was cut hahahaha! don't get me wrong, it's cute, and i love everything "alien". but it didn't fit with the rest of the movie at all.
  • kneedeepinthedoomed
    I agree that the characters are expertly done and look gorgeous. I admire the craftsmanship behind this game. However, I still think they look too idealized, especially the women.

Compare this pic of the original Alien crew:

http://www.rowsdowr.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/alien-crew.jpg

Weren't the guys in the original script practically space low-lifes with a laid-back attitude to discipline? Wasn't that part of the reason why the alien decimated the whole crew? I read the original script recently. Heck, most of them were smokers. The characters in the screenshot above seem like athletes.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree that the characters are expertly done and look gorgeous. I admire the craftsmanship behind this game. However, I still think they look too idealized, especially the women.

Compare this pic of the original Alien crew:

http://www.rowsdowr.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/alien-crew.jpg

Weren't the guys in the original script practically space low-lifes with a laid-back attitude to discipline? Wasn't that part of the reason why the alien decimated the whole crew? I read the original script recently. Heck, most of them were smokers. The characters in the screenshot above seem like athletes.

True but, it sounds like this is a team thats going in to find out what happened or something along those lines so they are more likely to be Military/science types rather than space truckers.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Presentation looks great, especially those characters - also nice to see how faithfully the interior of the Nostromo has been recreated.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    awesome, looking forward to this :)
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Whooooo boy. My favorite film franchise is getting another game treatment. And once again what I'm hearing about this new title sounds really good. However, once burned, twice shy. On the plus side, the current bar is set so insanely low that it is more a stumbling hazard than a meaningful impediment.

As far as the present level of visuals for this game are concerned, I have no complaints. None. I love the aesthetic style that you have committed to, and would be quite happy with the game if the art and visual technology never improved past their current state. You've made quota on the visuals as far as I'm concerned. Any improvements between now and launch are icing on the cake. The alien itself, the set dressing, and the character design all provide a strong and consistent visual impression.

I will make some suggestions, though. First and foremost, focus on keeping the scope of the game tight and limited.

There is no need for a long, sweeping story. The strength of the first Alien film was in it's relative simplicity. Stick to that. Some grand Weyland-Yutani conspiracy is irrelevant. The corporation is evil, everyone knows and understands that idea. It was a shocking revelation in 1979, when corporate careers were still considered desirable. In this day of widespread contract employment it is a foregone conclusion. Maintain focus for story elements on a smaller core cast, and take the time to give us some decent development. How the characters respond to each other within the context of their situation is the more important than framing dramatic set pieces. Let the big "wow" moments come organically from the gameplay, reserve non-interactive story exposition for quieter, more intimate character moments. I would advise using the ship's comm system for some of this. In the original Alien, one of the most chilling moments of the film is having to listen to Lambert's death scene. Using the comm system for "chatter" during the game could be very effective if used correctly. It also gives you the option of having major events happening off screen while the player is busy doing something else.

I have no objections to the general thrust of the major gameplay elements. A single alien with adaptive, reactionary AI that reacts differently every playtrhough is brilliant. A system like that, along with the hide-and-seek approach to interaction, will make for a much more tense experience and greatly improve replay-value. I would caution against potential shooting sequences. I had heard some might be integrated into later portions of the game. Keeping the player limited in their offensive options will prevent them from leaning on attack as a viable approach. Any and all potential weaponry should be limited in how effective it can be. It sounds like you might already be aware of this, so it may be an unnecessary warning.

I would advise altering the current death animation. It's too long, and you show too much of the alien. The death animations will be much more effective if they are faster, more sudden, and more obscured. While I know it might be galling not to show off the excellent alien model you've constructed, the game will be better if the death animations are shorter. A can suggest an alternative compromise. Embed into the Alien's AI a routine that will have it turn slowly toward the player and pause when the player is within view. As soon as the player moves or takes any action, the alien can then rush them. Throw in a random counter just to make sure that this stalemate won't continue indefinitely. A stand-off like this one would give the player a chance to look at the alien if they want to, without diminishing the threat it represents.
  • glottis8
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    this looks very promising. here's hope the gameplay can match the visual fidelity. if you pull this off you need to release a postmortem detailing how you justified the funding for such a game from your corporate overlords. ;)
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13

There is no need for a long, sweeping story. The strength of the first Alien film was in it's relative simplicity

Exactly. The first Alien was a slasher film, plain and simple. It has far more in common with Halloween or Friday the 13th than it does a sci fi story, which excites me as to the direction shown here.

Visually it looks fantastic. I just hope there's enough gameplay throughout, although if the mood and the overall feeling of terror can stay throughout the game, I can see it working.
  • weee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    which engine it uses? in-house or third party? the style looks Unreal-4ish, again, nice work there!

oh and I do hope it comes out with less bugs, because there are quite some negative feedback about CA's latest piece :(
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    weee wrote: »
    which engine it uses? in-house or third party? the style looks Unreal-4ish, again, nice work there!

It's an inhouse engine developed specifically for A:I.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    marks wrote: »
    It's an inhouse engine developed specifically for A:I.

completely new engine or a customized UE4 or CE3 ?

either way the quality is really good, almost looks like offline render in some areas.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    It isn't a licensed engine (middleware excluded, of course). It's an extremely modified version of the engine which powered CA's earlier console games, all developed inhouse at CA.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Rayph wrote: »
    So I have the biggest raging hard on for this game now. I was so pleasantly surprised at first but the excitement kept building and building. It is so wonderful to see the subtle nuance of the original film translated into this game. Especially the fact the alien is not fast and bouncing around the place. The original creature was a stalker, slow and methodical and some fans even debate a slight hint of sexual deviancy in it's mannerism (the scene where it kills lambert but runs it's tail up between her legs first)

I actually always enjoyed the...oddness of this cut scene. Alien deleted scene: Alien attacks Lambert - good quality - YouTube

Showed this to a few people at work today, never seen it before! We should put it in as an easter egg, haha.
  • Rayph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    Pogop- You guys forever have my love already, if you do that...I would cry tears of joy haha. Seriously though game dev is hard business and I am sure you guys have a mountain to climb ahead of you but if your team pulls off a fraction of what is promised this will be for me as a fan of alien the best thing to grace the franchise since James Camerons contribution (anyone who has ever worked with me knows what an insane nut for Alien that I am)
  • Perfectblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marks & PogoP,

This game shows so much promise and respect using 1979's Alien as its source material. From what I have seen everything looks incredible, from the animations of the Alien itself to the claustrophobic corridors of the space vessel. It appears you guys are really working on something special. Keep up the hard work, myself and many others I am sure, can't wait to play it.

If the dynamic hunting AI of the Alien even lives up to half the potential that I have read about in the previews, I think we are all in for a real treat.

Now, who is brave enough to play this game at launch with oculus rift and a 7.1 surround system in complete dark?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does the light level matter if you're wearing an occulus?
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    This looks astonishing, genuinely gave me chills. Only thing that seemed a bit odd was the orange glowing parts, I know they're there for the sake of differentiating what parts can and cant be used for crafting, but will it be possible to turn off the glow?
    The hudless approach is already amazing, but that glowy bit really looked jarring :P

But yeah, just, amazing looking so far, can't wait :)
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Looks great but im nervous after colonial marine and rome 2, i dont exactly trust sega
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I'm wondering, can the alien climb ladders, open doors, (can you run and close doors block them behind you even)?. Could your run around a table avoiding the alien(most games cant handle this)?
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    @ calabi, that would certaintly ad to immersion and scare the shit our of me lol
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Few new screens released via Edge magazine. AI has had ~4 front covers of leading gaming magazines in January, which is pretty awesome! Good work to all involved :)

I think we were in Edge, PC Gamer, and a couple of others that I can't quite remember now! Hope you guys like these:

alienisolation-game-newscreen-118-4.jpg

alienisolation-game-newscreen-118-1.jpg

alienisolation-game-newscreen-118-7.jpg

Alien-Isolaton-Artwork-14.jpg

normal_05-edge01.jpg
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So the realtime saliva thing is proving to be a challenge... I don't envy the guy who's responsible for it.

Awesome looking game though!
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vargatom wrote: »
    So the realtime saliva thing is proving to be a challenge... I don't envy the guy who's responsible for it.

Awesome looking game though!

It only salivates when its about to eat.

I dont like they fact you can see the skull though, your not supposed to, I mean it was perhaps an accident that you didnt see it in the first film but its part of the cannon now no eyes or human familiarity.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    This looks awesome.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    When I saw 'Alien' back in '79 there was definitely a skull in there. That's the look they're going for.

alien41.jpg
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I watched Alien yesterday, I saw no skull.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    This + the Oculus would be badass :D
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Calabi wrote: »
    It only salivates when its about to eat.

I dont like they fact you can see the skull though, your not supposed to, I mean it was perhaps an accident that you didnt see it in the first film but its part of the cannon now no eyes or human familiarity.

the skull has always been there.

also, they salivate to create their nests as well.

read some of the books =]
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    are the books any good? i have never read an alien book... but i am Alien has to be one of my fav movies of all time.
  • Perfectblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi wrote: »
    I watched Alien yesterday, I saw no skull.

Watch the blueray its easier to notice. The skull has always been there in Alien 1979. The skull is coated with a semi translucent material and you can only see it directly in direct light conditions. For instance:

alien-concept-skull-translucent_cowl.jpg
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the skull has always been there.

also, they salivate to create their nests as well.

read some of the books =]

I was only joking about the saliva, and I have read alot of the books and comics still got some of them on my shelf.

I know the skull has always been there but its another matter from it always being there and yet never being seen. I watched the bluray yesterday and I could not see it and dont believe anyone could see the skull unless someone proves me wrong. If its never been seen by anyone other than production staff then it doesnt exist, isnt meant to be seen and isnt part of the cannon.

And that image above is not in the movie.
  • Perfectblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its there. Look harder. Here are some more shots where you can make out the skull.
    alien-xenomorph.jpg
    alien-dome-jaw.jpg
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neither of those are from within the movie either. There promotional or archive shots.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Regardless though Calabi, that was how the Alien was designed. It looks badass, in my opinion, and actually quite terrifying when you can kinda make out that really haunting skull shape!
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Regardless of whether or not you can see it clearly in the film it is there as it was built into the original suit used for Alien. Considering the time period the game is shooting for it should be there.
    The problem isn't even the skull, it's the other films that toyed with the original design too much.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    alien-1979-35-g.jpg

The skull was visible in Alien - this shot is from the film; it's not the best, but it is clearly there. I'm sure there are better examples. The reason you don't see it too much is that the lighting is generally pretty dark in Alien and Aliens.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    MrHobo wrote: »
    Regardless of whether or not you can see it clearly in the film it is there as it was built into the original suit used for Alien. Considering the time period the game is shooting for it should be there.
    The problem isn't even the skull, it's the other films that toyed with the original design too much.

I actually thought the design in Aliens was the best, it was like the xenomorphs had "perfected" by that point. And i enjoyed the idea put forward in Alien 3 about xenomorphs taking on the dna of their hosts.

I'm pretty sure the Aliens xenomorphs had the skulls too.

also this:
    alienskull.jpg

aaaaand present in the newer designs too, predalien:
    Predalien.jpg
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Quit desecrating our beautiful thread gir :p
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    dude....i dunno about you guys but I thought AVP:R was the best of both franchises.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    dude....i dunno about you guys but I thought AVP:R was the best of both franchises.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

i don't know about that, but it was certainly the best crossover since the first game (yes, the first game). and unless we get an AVP movie set in the timeline of Aliens, with a fucking army of Xeno's, Colonial Marines, and Predators fucking each other up, i doubt we'll get anything better for a while.

@Mark - okay, sorry =[
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    I actually went back and watched the AvP movies recently, I had fond memories of them.

Yeah, I'm not making that mistake again.
  • PogoP
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure how anyone could argue about the look of the game. They have access to original photography of the props, sets, costumes, and also the movie itself. They're clearly giving the project all the love they can. The tech has matured to the point where it can do all of this justice.

It really is a wonderful adaptation, something to remember years into the future. Never before have we seen any computer game coming this close to the origin of it all.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    finally, a game with some decent looking anatomically correct hands :)

kuaKWY5.jpg