Home Marmoset

Toolbag 2 is on Steam! | Marmoset Toolbag 2 | News & Announcements

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    charlyxxx wrote: »
    Thank you. Will be corrected in future versions?

I've talked to our engineers about this in the past and have been told its a very difficult technical problem to solve, so unfortunately I do not know if we will be able to fix it, sorry!

PS: I think CrazyButcher's response was a suggestion for us on how to fix the problem, not meant for you :)
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    indeed it was, the artist could play with the flag if something can be treated as near solid for ao/dof/shadow. It's certainly a "hack", but maybe is okay, as you say a true solution would be harder to solve.
  • Thierryart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thierryart polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, maybe some of you can help me. I just bought Marmoset Toolbag 2 but i cannot use it because it doesn't want to connect to the licensing server. I have try with my firewall turn off but it doesn't want to connect. Someone got a idea?
    (really want to use it tonight :()
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thierryart wrote: »
    Hey guys, maybe some of you can help me. I just bought Marmoset Toolbag 2 but i cannot use it because it doesn't want to connect to the licensing server. I have try with my firewall turn off but it doesn't want to connect. Someone got a idea?
    (really want to use it tonight :()

Sorry about the issue, there is not a common fix for this that I am aware of, so please (if you haven't already) email support@marmoset.co with a detailed description of your problem, along with the operating system, firewall software, and any other relevant information.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toolbag 2.06 update is out!

[vv]109715203[/vv]

We’ve just released the 2.06 update for Toolbag 2, filled to the brim with all sorts of awesome new features like area lights, curves for color grading, lens flares, lens distortion, chromatic aberration and a scale tool. We’ve also fixed a variety of bugs, including shadow casting from double sided materials and much more.

Watch the video for a summary of the headline features, and check out the full change log here: http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/history

Download the demo on our site: http://www.marmoset.co/shop/tb2 or launch Toolbag to get the update.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    I'm not getting the update when I launch TB2. :/
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not getting the update when I launch TB2. :/

Hey, a couple suggestions:

1. Make sure your internet connection is working properly and that your firewall isn't blocking TB2.
    2. Check your global prefs (edit->preferences) to make sure check for updates in enabled.

You can also download the full installer and install over the top here: http://www.marmoset.co/shop/tb2

I hope that helps
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    2. Check your global prefs (edit->preferences) to make sure check for updates in enabled.
    I hope that helps
    Oh my bad, I missed that it was off. I got the update working, cheers!
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp polycounter lvl 12
    awesome update and I'm super happy to see area lights added in!
  • Etienne Jabbour
    Great to see area lights, awesome stuff.

There does appear to be a couple of things a little broken with the skin shader though, I cant put my finger on it yet, though it feels like the gloss and normal smoothing has changed.
  • Etienne Jabbour
    hmmm, in fact I cant get the same results on all my heads now :( - I was just about to publish a load of stuff too! Is there any way I can roll back?

Again, it's hard to say exactly what has changed, but I feel like I have lost a fair bit of control over the skin shader and cant get the same results I was getting before.

I dont have time right now, but I'll try and post some images to show what I mean.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Etienne,

We snuck in a couple changes the skin shader. The difference you're seeing is likely due to the fact that normal smoothing and shadow blur are now tied to the global subdermis setting/subdermis map. This means that it's possible to mask out non-skin elements with the skin shader and prevent those areas from getting normal smoothing/shadow blur. It also means you have more control over those effects, though indirectly, with the subdermis mask.

Try to bump up those values in the shader to see if that helps solve your issue.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    I've noticed the same as Etienne, the lights in my scene are off and create crazy harsh shadows. I have to crank alot of sliders to max to compensate but it's still nowhere near as soft. Also my normals have become all gritty and Doom3 like even without sharpen and with max smoothing etc.

Altho some things are definitely better, the changes to the skin/shadows makes alot of sliders feel pointless compared to before ?_?
  • Etienne Jabbour
    Thanks for clarifying that EarthQuake!

I can see the value in being able to mask this out,but the issue for me is there is no linear correlation between the amount of blur you want in shadows/normals and the general subD value, so having them tied together just doesn't give the results you want for skin.

Would there be a way of having 2 skin shaders in the roll out, one that is essentially the old one (honestly, that aint broke!) and one with this facility to mask out skin?
  • --E--
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    --E-- polycounter lvl 11
    I'll second Etienne's request for a second skin shader.

It does seem a bit strange to push an update to Marmoset that more or less "breaks" everyone's existing art. =/
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to clarify, the changes to the skin shader should be relatively minor.

I think what you guys might be seeing is changes to various systems, namely the lighting and shadowing systems, which have changed in a variety of ways to support new features. This does means that old scenes will look different now. For issues relating to shadows, I would suggest playing with the light shape parameters to see if that helps.

We realize this is unfortunate and are looking into it to see if there is anything we can change to improve the situation.

If you guys have time, it would be helpful to see comparison images, or even images of what you dislike about the current build.

As always, we appreciate the feedback.
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    Looking forward to checking out the new update! If there are any problems, I can just blame Lee, right?! :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher wrote: »
    Looking forward to checking out the new update! If there are any problems, I can just blame Lee, right?! :)

Yes, please send all hate mail directly to Lee. :poly142:
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    as far as i can tell the skin shader feels very simliar. the one thing that seemed to hang me up a bit is that if i open a scene that I previously created, the skin shader feels incorrect. if i create a new skin shader and rebuild it from scratch it seems to work properly and feels quite nice.

maybe there is an issue with some new code not working properly with shaders from the previous version?
  • Etienne Jabbour
    I have reconstructed the skin shader. With the same settings it still gives very different results. I just cant get the normal map to smooth as I would want, and it looks terrible with a detail normal map...

The effect you need is to have the normals pretty smoothed for the lighting/shading calc, but as intended for spec/ref/gloss. This was perfect before because each setting could be controlled individually.

ZippZopp, you say reconstructing the shader worked for you, so you are not getting overly rough normals at the same settings?
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wanted to sneak in here and say that the latest update is pretty spectacular. Thanks for the hard work!
  • Coontang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coontang polycounter lvl 5
    What has happened to the ability to soften the shadows in the settings of a light? I can't find a way to do it now.
  • RC-1290
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RC-1290 polycounter lvl 7
    Coontang wrote: »
    What has happened to the ability to soften the shadows in the settings of a light? I can't find a way to do it now.
    It's now controlled by the light shape.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Ah nice, that sorts out all the lighting differences wonderfully! :D

Altho skin normals are still gritty
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    To clarify, the only meaningful change we've made to the skin shader itself, is that now the subdermis map/colour can now directly control shadow blurring and normal smoothing (it multiplies whatever settings are currently on those sliders).

The reason for this change was that we were getting feedback from people who wanted to use a single material to express their entire character, which consisted of both organic and inorganic surfaces. They didn't like that shadow blurring and normal smoothing carried over on to the inorganic surfaces in these cases.

So now for a potential solution:
    Would you prefer this control to be separated into the alpha channel of the subdermis map?
  • Etienne Jabbour
    Yeah, I can see that's the only real change, it does have a big effect on skin though.

Is the subd strength not currently controlled by the alpha of the subdermis map though? So in effect at the moment both the subD strength and the shadow/normal blur is already being controlled by the alpha of the subD map... or am I getting this wrong?

If you change it so that only the blur is controlled by the subD alpha then how will we control the subD intensity?
  • Etienne Jabbour
    I would like to make it clear though that the rest of the changes are outstanding, the area lights and general quality of cast shadows and such feel much more solid now.

Sorry for just jumping in and griping about the skin shader...
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Haha thanks Etienne!

Ultimately we want things to be easy to use for people and i guess in this instance it went the opposite direction. But we're looking to fix this asap.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I can see that's the only real change, it does have a big effect on skin though.

Is the subd strength not currently controlled by the alpha of the subdermis map though? So in effect at the moment both the subD strength and the shadow/normal blur is already being controlled by the alpha of the subD map... or am I getting this wrong?

If you change it so that only the blur is controlled by the subD alpha then how will we control the subD intensity?

The subdermis in 205 was controled by both the RGB and A channels of the sub-dermis map. You could set it up in 1 of 2 ways:
    1. RGB = color only and A = value/intensity
    2. RGB = color and intensity

If you were doing #1, that's essentially the same thing as having the color in the RGB and then setting the alpha as a multiplier on the color. The same could be done by copying the alpha map into a new layer in your RGB texture and setting it to multiply. So the alpha channel in 205 was essentially redundant, and I'm not sure how many people were using it.

For 206, we wanted to simplify it a bit, but as Lee mentions, it looks like the change was not a positive one. So we're looking into using RGB to control color/intensity of the subdermis effect as in 205, with only the alpha having any control over normal smoothing and shadow blur. This should give everyone the ability to set up their shader exactly like in 205 (without requiring any changes for most people) while still retaining the extra masking functionality for those who need it. We're going to try this out shortly and see how it works.
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have reconstructed the skin shader. With the same settings it still gives very different results. I just cant get the normal map to smooth as I would want, and it looks terrible with a detail normal map...

The effect you need is to have the normals pretty smoothed for the lighting/shading calc, but as intended for spec/ref/gloss. This was perfect before because each setting could be controlled individually.

ZippZopp, you say reconstructing the shader worked for you, so you are not getting overly rough normals at the same settings?

no, seems like it is working fine. I'll do some comparisons tonight, but as soon as i applied a new shader and turned on the skin shading it worked fine. i only had a little bit of time to play with it, so maybe i'm missing something. I'll dig a little deeper tonight. the only other thing I can think of is perhaps the scene scale conversion, that can have an impact on the look of things.

have you tried starting a completely new scene and rebuilding things? it would be a bit of a pain, but would be an interesting test
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp wrote: »
    no, seems like it is working fine. I'll do some comparisons tonight, but as soon as i applied a new shader and turned on the skin shading it worked fine. i only had a little bit of time to play with it, so maybe i'm missing something. I'll dig a little deeper tonight. the only other thing I can think of is perhaps the scene scale conversion, that can have an impact on the look of things.

Yes, you should theoretically be able to get very similar results by upping the normal smoothing and shadow blur shader settings. Tweaking the shader should not require any change to the actual subdermis setting. If you can't turn the shadow blur or normal smoothing settings up high enough, you can enter in the values numerically as well.

Shadow blur is also tied to mesh scale too, which can be changed in the scene object properties.

But really, we're working on it here so I wouldn't put too much effort into trying to manually tweak the shader values. Just bear with us for a bit :)
    have you tried starting a completely new scene and rebuilding things? it would be a bit of a pain, but would be an interesting test

Setting up a new scene shouldn't have any affect on how the shaders work, if you're finding that it does could you please get me a sample scene to debug?

Thanks guys
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blazed wrote: »
    Nice update/features but still no two-sided materials? :'(

Two sided materials have been in for a couple versions now I think. Rather, double sided meshes. Go to the per-mesh properties and disable back-face culling, and any material you apply to that mesh will be double sided.

206 improves this further by casting shadows from both sides of double sided meshes.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blazed wrote: »
    lol, damn! I was actually searching on google how to do two-sided materials a few weeks ago and came across what I think was one of your old posts where you said it wasn't possible and you had to copy geometry and flip it in your modelling software. The joys of outdated information :D My bad then... sorry!

Haha, no worries. Next time just ask me directly, I'm always around. =D
  • Etienne Jabbour
    Thanks for the skin shader hot fix guys, I've only very quickly opened my old files, but that looks great now!

I cant say enough good things about the new area light setup too!
  • --E--
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    --E-- polycounter lvl 11
    yes! my heads look "normal" now too after the hot fix! Thank you!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, we were able to get a hotfix out late last night.

We changed the subdermis RGB map behavior back to what it was in 2.05 (now it doesn't have any effect on normal smoothing or shadow blur). We moved that functionality to the subdermis alpha channel, so if you have multiple surface types in one material, you can mask the non-skin elements with black in the alpha channel, which will mask the normal smoothing and shadow blur functions as well.

To recap:
    Subdermis RGB: Color and intensity of subdermis effect
    Subdermis Alpha: Skin mask

This update is live now, so anyone who was having problems should update, and anyone who was on the fence about updating due to issues with the skin shader can go ahead and press the button now.

Thanks to Etienne and everyone else who gave feedback. At the end of the day we make software for you guys, so we appreciate it when you tell us that we've messed something up.
  • NeonMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NeonMonkey polycounter lvl 6
    This may be a silly question but I purchased Toolbag 2 a little while back and I'm wondering if it's possible to use the program on two different PCs? (not at the same time) I get an option to transfer the license when attempting to use a different computer but I don't wish to transfer back and forth, just want to be able to freely use it in two separate locations. Thanks in advanced!

-AA-
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    The way our license system works is that if you're trying to run Toolbag on a second machine, you'll be emailed asking if you want this machine to be your licensed machine. If you choose yes, then the license switches.

It sounds like you want to not have to go through the email verification each time? If that's the case i don't think this is possible unfortunately. Our license system is pretty flexible, you're not locked to any machine at any point as long as Toolbag isn't already running somewhere.
  • NeonMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NeonMonkey polycounter lvl 6
    Understood, that clears it up, thank you very much!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah as Lee says the license system is really easy to use, you don't need to contact anyone or fill out any information, you just have to click a link in an email (which is automatically sent to you when you try to use Toolbag on a different computer) to switch it over. If you want to avoid swapping you would have to buy another license.
  • gonzohot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

I'm new here and it seems to be a good place to ask informations about Marmoset toolbag2. I haven't found an official forum where users can post their questions so that's why i registered at polycount.

So now my problem:
    I've seen in an earlier post that someone said 3d monitor mode was perfectly working...

In my case i'm trying it to work but unsuccesfully until now.
    Any help would be highly apreciate...

Some information about my atempts:
    I use a Nvidia Titan CG card with an asus G278h stereo monitor.
    3Dvision is correctly enabled (work with other 3Dvision softs).
    Toolbag is last version downloaded 3 days ago

When i launch Marmoset toolbag2 nothing "pops up" showing that 3dvision is running and my monitor stays in standard mode.
    Turning on the stereo dual/3d monitor inside toolbag don't do nothing , even in fullscreen (I assume that's because 3dvision is not "launched").

I've also tried to "link" toolbag2 to another working 3dvision profile with nvidia inspector (like Assasin creed or a few others) but it don't change anything.

I would like to use toolbag2 as a way to directly visualise and tweak 3D content on my 3dvision monitor. it is for me a condition before i buy it so it's very important for me to know if it is possible to use it that way...

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Best regards
  • GetAwesome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GetAwesome polycounter lvl 14
    Just a quick bit of news, this is going on now, expiring at 10AM CST on Wednesday, December 3rd.

tumblr_nfww0iNq3Y1rwuozio1_1280.png
  • youssouf124
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also, to get correct albedo from your own sources, you can try this:
    https://colortarget.wordpress.com/
  • moraff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moraff polycounter lvl 4
    Reason says it all.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Anyone having issues with omni lights? Whenever I place one in the scene the entire viewport becomes white no matter the brightness. Spot and directional lights work fine.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost wrote: »
    Anyone having issues with omni lights? Whenever I place one in the scene the entire viewport becomes white no matter the brightness. Spot and directional lights work fine.

There have been some issues with area lights in 2.06 on some very specific GPUs and driver versions. Try to update your graphics drivers, or if you're using the most current, roll back to an older version. If that doesn't help, please let me know which video card you have and the driver version.

Worst case, you can uninstall and grab the 2.05 installer here.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything is currently 30% off in the store!

newyear_2015.png

http://www.marmoset.co/
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Hey Joe, yeah I had the same problem with biofrost where omni blown out the viewport to be completely white; GeForce GTX 275 (driver ver. 340.52).
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, have you tried updating to the latest drivers?
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    I double check on the geforce website to make sure and yeah it's the latest driver for GTX 275..I know the graphic card is old (I use it since 2008-ish I think...) so that might be another problem there..

I haven't tried the toolbag 2.05 though.