Home Marmoset

Toolbag 2 is on Steam! | Marmoset Toolbag 2 | News & Announcements

Replies

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Pior, now it's under Sky settings. See the "Mode" dropdown? You're looking for the Color option there.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Aaaaand I am happy now :D Thanks man ! That was quick :)
    Selection highlighting on hidden models is a really awesome feature. Well done guys !
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Aw ! I just updated to 2.04. Loving the added features, but I am now facing a blocking issue : the option to *not* display the current skybox and pick a color to override it (while still having the light coming from it affecting the scene) seems to have disappeared ...

Is it somewhere hidden, or has it been actually removed ? If so, I would love to have it back as I was relying on it a lot ...

This became obvious when I opened an older file inside 2.04, which had the sky set to not being displayed last time it was saved. When opening it in the new version, the sky was showing again. Now I like the fact that I can now load an actual image to override the sky display, which is a great feature too ... but having a color picker was really fast and handy ...

If anything, is there a way to roll back to an older build ?

Thanks in advance :)

Hey, check the backdrop options in the sky properties, there's a variety of cool stuff there now, like the blurry sky option, and the option to display a flat color has been moved there.

Unfortunately we do not have the option to load a replacement background (but keep the lighting), the image button is to load an unprocessed .hdr sky.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    Thought I would post up some images from my texture scanner,
    Had some help from Jeff :) with the photo splitting code. Heres 5 of 10 or so

materialscans3.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15

I'd love to hear some information about your scanner, how it works, and what kind of textures it outputs.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nam.Nguyen wrote: »
    good to hear that 8a7LIpHfwQd7eIu2pQubyPgXDzvtCQIxVx79Y1H2tPkLWWw7P668hrpSsiCsZQbiTqJ_EE3Pv5hRrEB3ocTREq5bNZNMNUlPCq8h4OsmnrVIzHjKKF59Al4tIZtJqr5MlA

and maybe TB should has a "quick load" option ( like Ddo ) e.g: when I load "torso_normal.tga" it'll also look for torso_a.tga, torso_albedo.tga, bla bla . . . that could save a lot of click since TB can handle the whole scene now. And make it as a check box so ppl can easy to turn it on-off

I think it's a simple feature to make but very useful.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Goshi wrote: »
    This.

And a tiling option would be sweet - why this one keeps still missing?!

Cheers!

Goshi wrote: »
    This.

And a tiling option would be sweet - why this one keeps still missing?!

Cheers!

Yes I agree. As to why its not in there yet? Too much cool stuff to add and not enough time. Marmoset is a very small team so unfortunately its just a matter of resources.

Ballo wrote: »
    wooowww, that is an amazing adding. I really love new sky selection.

I'm actually testing it. I added two lights to this scene. I used show guides to "hide" them , but after I showed again, move/rotate pivot are gone. Any thought?

Thats odd, the widget GUI certainly shouldn’t go away, does it come back when you restart toolbag? Can you reproduce this bug, if so can you get me a scene that shows it? Thanks

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

materialscans3.jpg

Awesome stuff, glad to see the scanner is working!
    Swizzle wrote: »
    I'd love to hear some information about your scanner, how it works, and what kind of textures it outputs.

He posted some info on his site here: http://www.radianceforge.com/hole/
  • Ballo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ballo polycounter lvl 9
    don't worry Earthquake, I just restart TB2 and works. Thanks!!! :)
  • Ballo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ballo polycounter lvl 9
    Hi guys.

I was thinking that when you work with a lot of materials is a bit painful move around them, closing tabs, open new ones, so I guess put all the spheres materials horizontal can help to see more materials. Put different sizes can help as well.
    I did a quick design to show it, what do you think?

UI.jpg
  • KustomZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KustomZero polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Guys,

maybe someone of you can help me out with a problem in Toolbag2. I started working with Toolbag 1, there in the render tab you can choose from a dropdown menu to display the world-space normals of your object. Does anybody know how to get this view in Toolbag2. Thanks in advance
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    working on this scene right now - is it possible to
    add a "dust particle" background ? - are ther any particles like fire
    planned ?

screenshot007.png
  • cmgillett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys.

I was thinking that when you work with a lot of materials is a bit painful move around them, closing tabs, open new ones, so I guess put all the spheres materials horizontal can help to see more materials. Put different sizes can help as well.

UI.jpg

Cool idea, I like it!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys.

Thats an interesting idea, I will add it to the suggestion list here. Thanks!

KustomZero wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

maybe someone of you can help me out with a problem in Toolbag2. I started working with Toolbag 1, there in the render tab you can choose from a dropdown menu to display the world-space normals of your object. Does anybody know how to get this view in Toolbag2. Thanks in advance

Sorry, but the debug render modes have not yet been added back in to Toolbag 2.

Alphavader wrote: »
    working on this scene right now - is it possible to
    add a "dust particle" background ? - are ther any particles like fire
    planned ?

Unfortunately we do not support particles of any sort at this time. If we do add particle support, it will like be sometime in the more distant future.

• Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Are there any plans to add more post effects and such?

It'd be super cool to have things like lens dirt similar to this demo:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133840

Lens flares similar to the ones available in Unity would also be rad:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Components/script-Bloom.html
  • KustomZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Sorry, but the debug render modes have not yet been added back in to Toolbag 2.

Do you plan to bring it back in one of the next updates or has it a minor priority?
  • Atanudas
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle wrote: »
    Are there any plans to add more post effects and such?

It'd be super cool to have things like lens dirt similar to this demo:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133840

Lens flares similar to the ones available in Unity would also be rad:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Components/script-Bloom.html

We do plan to add more post effects at some point, exactly what they will be or when is hard to say.

KustomZero wrote: »
    Do you plan to bring it back in one of the next updates or has it a minor priority?

Its a minor priority at this point with no specific plans to add it back in. Just out of curiousity, what was your main use for this feature in TB1?
  • Ballo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ballo polycounter lvl 9
    Hi.

Thanks earthquke, I'm glad that you've added it.

I found an interest article about tech from The order 1886, using a tech called aniso Kajiya to get some realistic specularity at their hair shader. There is also a new tech called Marsechner as well. I'm not a tech guy, I don't know if you are using something similar to the default aniso on Marmo, but could be a interesting add.

Dither transparency is still a bit noisy imho.

cheers.
  • KustomZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Currently I am a game art student at games academy frankfurt. We are developing a 2d puzzle adventure game where we model the character and environment in 3d. The final assets then will be rendered out in 2d for the game. In the game we have multiple dynamic light sources and the normal view from toolbag 1 where we export the models, would have helped a lot to get them.

Unfortunately you don't plan integrating it so we have to stick with toolbag 1 for our project.
  • EarthQuake
  • tharok2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn hehe , bought it a week ago after considering for a while , should have waited ;p
  • pastelspirit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pastelspirit polycounter lvl 7
    Hello guys!

Toolbag 2 looks really promising for hard surface stuff!
    However, I think the skin shader still needs to be improved.
    Is it probable that Toolbag will have an updated skin shader implemented based on Jorge Jimenez's (and co workers) research and shader solution explained in this presentation? :

(312MB)
    http://www.iryoku.com/projects/nextgen/downloads/Next-Generation-Character-Rendering-v6.pptx
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello guys!

Toolbag 2 looks really promising for hard surface stuff!
    However, I think the skin shader still needs to be improved.
    Is it probable that Toolbag will have an updated skin shader implemented based on Jorge Jimenez's (and co workers) research and shader solution explained in this presentation? :

(312MB)
    http://www.iryoku.com/projects/nextgen/downloads/Next-Generation-Character-Rendering-v6.pptx

We're always working on improving things, but I'm not sure if we have skin shader specific improvements planed in the short term. I'm pretty sure our engineers have read that paper (and I think we're already doing similar techniques in much of our shader), but I will pass it on to them. Are there any specific features from that paper you would like to see added to the skin shader?
  • pastelspirit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, it's definitely getting better and better!
    I'd love to have 'real' sss. With the current shader I could not reproduce the sss effect you can see in that paper (eyesack - eyeball where the 2 models meet it's blending nicely, that looks like an offline renderers skin shader...also in the side view of the girl, nose does really nice sss, and ears...)
    Currently the current translucency and subdermis scatter feel like a more sophisticated falloff map which are not sufficient I think.
    Or am I just missing something and can not use them properly?
    So yes, basically I'd like to have all the features you can see in the paper (and in it's videos). :D
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Remember it has to be something that can run in real time, I haven't read the paper but it's something to think about.
  • pastelspirit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Then read the paper please! And watch the videos...they are quite interesting! ;)
    It is one year old, running realtime on a 2 years old gpu and puts 99% of the offline character renders to shame. (Compared to what I've seen or created so far under the 'realism' cathegory...)
  • Hawkes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm currently using a Mac Pro dated 2007. It looks like I can't install Mavericks OS X, which I need to run Marmoset 2. I'm looking to keep my workflow update with current techniques such as PBR. It looks like I have two options.

I can get Skyshop for Unity, but I haven't been able to confirm if it has SSS or PBR. My other option would be to run Parallels with a Microsoft operating system and install Marmoset 2 that way. My biggest concern is falling behind because I'm not update on a certain workflow thus making it hard to find a job. Any suggestions would be nice. Thanks.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, it's definitely getting better and better!
    I'd love to have 'real' sss. With the current shader I could not reproduce the sss effect you can see in that paper (eyesack - eyeball where the 2 models meet it's blending nicely, that looks like an offline renderers skin shader...also in the side view of the girl, nose does really nice sss, and ears...)
    Currently the current translucency and subdermis scatter feel like a more sophisticated falloff map which are not sufficient I think.
    Or am I just missing something and can not use them properly?
    So yes, basically I'd like to have all the features you can see in the paper (and in it's videos). :D

Thanks for the extra info. If you want to know a little bit more about how the current shader works, check out the skin shader tutorial for skyshop.

http://www.marmoset.co/skyshop/learn/skin-tut

Its not exactly the same by the skyshop shader is basically the TB shader ported over to Unity, so many of the features are similar.
    Hawkes wrote: »
    I'm currently using a Mac Pro dated 2007. It looks like I can't install Mavericks OS X, which I need to run Marmoset 2. I'm looking to keep my workflow update with current techniques such as PBR. It looks like I have two options.

I can get Skyshop for Unity, but I haven't been able to confirm if it has SSS or PBR. My other option would be to run Parallels with a Microsoft operating system and install Marmoset 2 that way. My biggest concern is falling behind because I'm not update on a certain workflow thus making it hard to find a job. Any suggestions would be nice. Thanks.

So, first off, Skyshop isn’t exactly PBR, its a very similar workflow but missing a few features (like energy conservation on spec, and metalness input support). We will probably add these in an update at some point.

Secondly, if your computer is from 2007, your GPU is likely too slow to run Toolbag 2, even if you dual boot and install windows. Required is a Direct X 10 card (Nvidia 8***, ATI/AMD 2***) and recommended is a DX11 card (Nvidia 4**, ATI/AMD 5***), personally I wouldn’t want to run Toolbag 2 on a card slower than an Nvidia 460. So make sure your video card is fast enough before you go through the hassle of switching to windows.

You should probably consider getting a new computer entirely, as running modern game engines like UE4, content creation apps, etc on a system from 2007 is going to be difficult. Though you may be able to get by simply upgrading your GPU, it depends on what is available for your mac.
  • Hawkes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @earthquake,

Thanks for the quick and helpful response. I will review my options and see what works best for me.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wrote a mini-tutorial explaining how to extract the cubemap and portrait backgrounds from the Dota 2 content, for use in TB2. Check it out here.
  • tharok2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having a bit of an issue with black transparant blocks appearing when using Bloom or Depth of field and the cause is fibres that I imported from Zbrush. If I disable their visibility , the problem goes away. Any ideas?

I exagerated the bloom to show the problem more.

=> example
    http://imgur.com/TipmiRv
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharok2000 wrote: »
    I'm having a bit of an issue with black transparant blocks appearing when using Bloom or Depth of field and the cause is fibres that I imported from Zbrush. If I disable their visibility , the problem goes away. Any ideas?

I exagerated the bloom to show the problem more.

=> example
    http://imgur.com/TipmiRv

I feel like we fixed a similar bug, so please make sure you're using the latest version (2.04). If that doesn't help, it is probably something odd/non-standard that zbrush is exporting. Try to load the problematic mesh into Maya or Max and export it out again and see if that fixes.

Either way, please zip up both the obj out of zbrush and the toolbag file and get me a copy so we can try to debug the problem. Thanks
  • tharok2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    I feel like we fixed a similar bug, so please make sure you're using the latest version (2.04). If that doesn't help, it is probably something odd/non-standard that zbrush is exporting. Try to load the problematic mesh into Maya or Max and export it out again and see if that fixes.

Either way, please zip up both the obj out of zbrush and the toolbag file and get me a copy so we can try to debug the problem. Thanks

I am using 2.04.

actually , i just found the solution while trying to prepare the scene and remove unnecessary stuff to zip it up and upload. (slow upload , so wanted to keep it as small as possible)

When i had only the fibres left and the artifacts remained , i also started removing parts from the material I wasn't using , Surface - normal map was active because it was was still the default mat , but no map was loaded so I didn't think much of it, I put it on "none" anywya and the artifacts went away. So it was definitely the surface shader causing it.

I also tried the import into cinema4d and export again, but that didn't help.

however , here's the marmoset file and the fibers2.obj if you'd still like to find out why it happens. As for me , it's not really a problem anymore , i will hardly ever need normal map on fiber meshes. I exagerated the bloom size ; because the smaller bloom size , the smaller the artifacts.
    Depth of field works too, to get the artifacts to show up.

https://app.box.com/s/ltn6kkfrer1cpobd88wa

Thanks
  • Zangief
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zangief polycounter lvl 10
    I have a problem in the Viewport .. it renders edges in the UV seams
    any idea why??
    i have tried to average the normals, redo the uvs, export triangulated and from various programs (maya,max,zbrush) with no luck ...
    uu7LyVi.jpg
  • Ballo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ballo polycounter lvl 9
    Zangief, export in Fbx format rather than Obj. :)
  • tharok2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh boy, not sure what I did wrong.

Yesterday suddenly my toolbag2.04 hangs when I load in obj's.
    Obj's that have loaded in fine before now hang marmoset, however scenes I saved before with heavy meshes in it load up fine.
    But importing any mesh above 15 mb (for some reason the small ones still work) hangs marmoset with "not responding" and i have to crash out.

I've tried updating gfx driver , restart pc , reinstall marmoset , run it as admin.

can't figure out what suddenly went wrong , worked fine at like 5 pm and from 7 pm on , i can't import meshes anymore.
    And I finally had just gotten my problem from earlier solved lol

The only thing i can think of, of having installed between it working properly and not, is the game Watchdogs from steam, that probably did install some .net framework related and directx stuff , could that have broken it?

EDIT SOLVED : somehow managed to change default tangent space most likely , cause it wasnt set to "marmoset" and that's why everything took ages to import.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Zangief : regarding the edges at the seems : I don't think that the OBJ format itself is responsible. It seems more like a problem with the OBJ exporter writing something wrong, or maybe a setting in the exporter asking it to split the mesh at the UV seams. Maybe double check that ?

Now of course what Ballo suggest could work too, but the same problem could occur there as well :)
  • Zangief
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zangief polycounter lvl 10
    Ballo and pior
    thak you so much guys !!!!
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage

EDIT SOLVED : somehow managed to change default tangent space most likely , cause it wasnt set to "marmoset" and that's why everything took ages to import.

Weird, because I have this issue, and my default tangent space IS Marmoset. I've had this issue since Marmoset 2.0 first came out, along with a few others, and I've not found a way to fix it, but it pretty much makes high-poly presentation impossible. Anyway, not sure why Tangent basis would make an OBJ import hang anyway, because I think it just uses the tangent basis to read the data on the mesh so they can display it properly, though I could definitely be wrong about that.

At any rate, I'd love a fix.
  • tharok2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson wrote: »
    Weird, because I have this issue, and my default tangent space IS Marmoset. I've had this issue since Marmoset 2.0 first came out, along with a few others, and I've not found a way to fix it, but it pretty much makes high-poly presentation impossible. Anyway, not sure why Tangent basis would make an OBJ import hang anyway, because I think it just uses the tangent basis to read the data on the mesh so they can display it properly, though I could definitely be wrong about that.

At any rate, I'd love a fix.

Well I thought marmoset froze on it , but i only had 15 mb , 30 mb and 450 mb objs.

the 15 mb loaded , but it took 20 seconds or so.

The 30 mb one , i thought already froze , but I didnt close marmoset and it did eventually load after 6 minutes

so i'm guessing the 450mb would load aswell , but after hours.

But yeah , the tangent did it for me , bummer that's not the issue in your case.

Now the 450 mb obj file loads fine in a few seconds.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Well I thought marmoset froze on it , but i only had 15 mb , 30 mb and 450 mb objs.

the 15 mb loaded , but it took 20 seconds or so.

The 30 mb one , i thought already froze , but I didnt close marmoset and it did eventually load after 6 minutes

so i'm guessing the 450mb would load aswell , but after hours.

But yeah , the tangent did it for me , bummer that's not the issue in your case.

Now the 450 mb obj file loads fine in a few seconds.

Hm, the pessimist in me spoke too soon. I'm not on my home machine, but switching the default tangent basis away from Marmoset makes the import hang like crazy here at work, while it loads in two seconds otherwise. I don't think my issues started after changing my tangent basis away from Marmoset on my home machine, but now I'll definitely check again to make sure. If so, I may just die of happiness.

EQ, any idea why this'd be the case? It saves a lot of time having xNormal as the default tangent basis.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am using 2.04.

actually , i just found the solution while trying to prepare the scene and remove unnecessary stuff to zip it up and upload. (slow upload , so wanted to keep it as small as possible)

When i had only the fibres left and the artifacts remained , i also started removing parts from the material I wasn't using , Surface - normal map was active because it was was still the default mat , but no map was loaded so I didn't think much of it, I put it on "none" anywya and the artifacts went away. So it was definitely the surface shader causing it.

I also tried the import into cinema4d and export again, but that didn't help.

however , here's the marmoset file and the fibers2.obj if you'd still like to find out why it happens. As for me , it's not really a problem anymore , i will hardly ever need normal map on fiber meshes. I exagerated the bloom size ; because the smaller bloom size , the smaller the artifacts.
    Depth of field works too, to get the artifacts to show up.

https://app.box.com/s/ltn6kkfrer1cpobd88wa

Thanks

Thanks for the files and information, I will check this out and log it in our bug system.

Zangief wrote: »
    I have a problem in the Viewport .. it renders edges in the UV seams
    Zangief wrote: »
    any idea why??
    i have tried to average the normals, redo the uvs, export triangulated and from various programs (maya,max,zbrush) with no luck ...

As already suggested, try fbx if using obj, and try obj if using fbx. Also check your export settings and make sure normals are being exported if from max.

Try changing the tangent space in the object-properites insite Toolbag as well.

oh boy, not sure what I did wrong.

Yesterday suddenly my toolbag2.04 hangs when I load in obj's.
    Obj's that have loaded in fine before now hang marmoset, however scenes I saved before with heavy meshes in it load up fine.
    But importing any mesh above 15 mb (for some reason the small ones still work) hangs marmoset with "not responding" and i have to crash out.

I've tried updating gfx driver , restart pc , reinstall marmoset , run it as admin.

can't figure out what suddenly went wrong , worked fine at like 5 pm and from 7 pm on , i can't import meshes anymore.
    And I finally had just gotten my problem from earlier solved lol

The only thing i can think of, of having installed between it working properly and not, is the game Watchdogs from steam, that probably did install some .net framework related and directx stuff , could that have broken it?

Thanks for the detailed info, this has been a long standing bug that we have not been able to reproduce, but this should help a great deal!

Hm, the pessimist in me spoke too soon. I'm not on my home machine, but switching the default tangent basis away from Marmoset makes the import hang like crazy here at work, while it loads in two seconds otherwise. I don't
    think my issues started after changing my tangent basis away from Marmoset on my home machine, but now I'll definitely check again to make sure. If so, I may just die of happiness.

EQ, any idea why this'd be the case? It saves a lot of time having xNormal as the default tangent basis.

Yes, initial results look good, I’m testing it here and it seems I’m getting the same issue and I’ve cross-checked with a few other people who had the same bug. I’m optimistic, now that it appears we can reproduce it, it should be much easier to track down.

As far as exactly why, its hard to say, it could be a bug in the original Mikktspace code, or in our implementation, that causes the hang.

So, to anyone who has slow loading file bug: change your default tangent space to marmoset or maya.

If anyone still has the issue after changing the default tangent space, please let me know.
  • tharok2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ha I shall continue to break stuff and try to find the solution lol
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ha I shall continue to break stuff and try to find the solution lol

Please do!
  • Cuvey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cuvey polycounter lvl 6
    Hello! First of all I want to say this is the first time I'm working with this program, so I hope I'm not asking a silly question. I've read a lot of the documentation, tutorials and forum posts and I've solved all the problems I've had except for this one: When I add an AO map and a cavity, the whole material turns black. What am I doing wrong?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Cuvey,

Toolbag2 sets AO and Cavity maps to multiply over the top of the layers they're on, when you multiply by black you get a black result.

The AO/Cavity inputs are designed to be used very subtly, if at all. As in practice you want to have as little static/baked lighting in your uv space.
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    Not specifically related to Toolbag 2, but I was wondering which resolution the Metalness Map could be used in relation to the other maps. Since it contains mostly black and white values could you get away with reducing the map's resolution and still achieve decent quality or would be advised to make it the same size as other maps?
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    MDiamond wrote: »
    Not especifically related to Toolbag 2, but I was wondering which resolution the Metalness Map could be used in relation to the other maps. Since it contains mostly black and white values could you get away with reducing the map's resolution and still achieve decent quality or would be advised to make it the same size as other maps?

I wouldn't recommend it. There is a technical issue with the metalness maps. When transitioning from a metal to a dark non metal you get a halo around the edge of the transition. Reducing the resolution will just make that issue worse. You can however combine say gloss, metalness, and AO into one map. Each taking up an RGB channel.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    stevston89 wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend it. There is a technical issue with the metalness maps. When transitioning from a metal to a dark no metal you get a halo around the edge of the transition. Reducing the resolution will just make that issue worse. You can however combine say gloss, metalness, and AO into one map. Each taking up an RGB channel.

pretty much this... ideally you want the metalness map to be 1:1 ratio with your albedo, so that the pixel mask matches up properly.

the issue with the "halo" around the edge of the metallic parts of a map can be combated "sort of" by trying to make sure that there are no binary cutoffs (ie: a pure white pixel next to a pure black pixel). i'm almost certain that it has to do with the way the fresnel part of the BRDF works, i'll see if it can be fixed but no promises.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cuvey wrote: »
    Hello! First of all I want to say this is the first time I'm working with this program, so I hope I'm not asking a silly question. I've read a lot of the documentation, tutorials and forum posts and I've solved all the problems I've had except for this one: When I add an AO map and a cavity, the whole material turns black. What am I doing wrong?

Can you post a screenshot of the issue? With and without the ao/cavity map applied?

Also what are your system specs, cpu, ram, gpu, os?