Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge October 2013 (12)

Replies

• keosar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keosar polycounter lvl 16
    [quote=serriffe;1936017
    and here's a side note just wanted to share my reference material with you folks who are in this month's challenge- enjoy :)

http://gryphart.com/deus-ex-3-the-missing-link-dlc
    http://gryphart.com/deus-ex-human-revolution
    http://www.coroflot.com/Trong_Nguyen/Game-industry-Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Part-1
    http://www.coroflot.com/Trong_Nguyen/Game-industry-Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Part-2[/quote]

man these are awesome, Kinda wish I saw these before I started...I would of designed the shapes a little better to match the art direction. But thanks for the link, looking good! @serriffe
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    think subd probably worth more practice since not all companies would have nDo2 ? Is that a worthwhile assessment ? Still looking for my first job

What's to stop you from bringing your own?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Computron wrote: »
    What's to stop you from bringing your own?

ya if i was at a company that didnt happen i would just use my own liscense for it. the software costs little, even if i had to buy a copy for work i think it is worth it.
  • inwar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar polycounter lvl 11
    half way mark ^^ All tiling textures generated using knald to generate normal,convexity,concavity from height map drawn in Photoshop.
    wip1.jpg
  • keosar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We're half way there guys, keep up the good work!

@Xerafel - Really great job on the ceiling pipes and the pipes under the grates. The only thing that really stands out to me is how thin and little variation the cables under the Caution sign is.

@inside - Looking good, the rust on the wall texture seems really out of place to me, How is that being caused? Nice touch on the flying sparks ^_^

@serriffe/Fizzly - You guys are killing it, both scenes look awesome!, Gotta step my game up!

Reworked the walls to all fit into one map. I spent some time working on the SPEC and added some reflection. I was testing out IBR some more but had some weird compression issues so I turned it off for now until I figure it out.

Left to do-

- Finish up; pipes,lockers,control sign
    - Add small details to Wall NM
    - Add reflectiveness to the end door
    - Add wires and debris to the scene
    - Give the same treatment on the floor like I did to the walls
    - Work on the PP some more
    - Take higher res screens of the scene ( Google time >_< )

Cheers!

DeusEX_Scene_WIP003_zps8491cf43.jpg

At first I was just using Photoshop to get Normals, but couldn't control and get the quality I wanted so I decided to go the HP route. I used XNormal then tossed it in Zbrush to get some extra maps.

DeusEX_Scene_WIP004_zpsd433a9e3.jpg
  • keosar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally figured out how to take High Res screens and Kismet...I feel so noob >_<. Also I switched over to Imgur to host the bigger images.

Going to replace the ceiling beams/support texture

1iQwwWc.jpg
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Update for now:
    ScreenShot00030.png

My biggest gripe is ocean material.
    I also want to add more particles, but haven't decided what they will be.
    Floor need some work. It look to clean right now.
    Things done:
    1. Completly changed lighting.
    2. Changed most of materials.
    3. Finally got acceptable looking glass on door.
    4. Added more pipes. Coz, pipes look cool.
    5. Added blood decal. But it doesn't look good. IDK how to fix it, it might be beyond my scope for now.
    6. Most material are very simple. Using the same normal and color detail over everything, and simple color and normal bases (color base consisto of just of colors with overlayed cavity).
    7. Benches are one only with tileable detail textures.
    8. Shadows from benches look odd. But I think that's something I can't just fix anyway.

@keosar
    Thanks. By leaking water. But I resigned from this idea. I also wanted to make more gritty floor, but I think I lieak it vlean more.
    I like your clean approach. But iI think floor near wall is to reflective. IDK what engine you use, but i think the reflections should be more blurred.

@Cheathem.
    Those reflections were from Lights on top. I changed it now, after realiztation that painted metal is not in fact metal :D.
    Waiting to see your texture. It's definitly most challening part in hard-surfce enviro.

@inwar
    Looking good, but I think you should use more wide resolution and fov for screenshot.
    Now it looks to narrow, and dunno, if that because of scale of your level, or resolution and fov on your screenshot.
  • riklopes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riklopes polycounter lvl 12
    Hey guys, just another update to my scene
    screenshot3.jpg
  • Xerafel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @InProgress- Thanks for the comments! I'll have to look at the suggestions you gave me when I get a chance. As for the normal map lighting issues/seams, I think I might have to rebake my wall textures since I read how it's not good to mirror UVs from on a baked normal map or something like that. I mirrored a lot of those UVs and flipping them back to its original direction would mess up my tiling.

@Seriffe- Thanks man, your scene is looking great as usual. The pipes you see under the grates, I actually took the ceiling texture and scaled it down. I created a mask in my texture using the grate holes/squares and darken it a bit so it can look like it's sitting below. Btw, your reference links are really nice too, thanks again for sharing those!

@Cheathem- Thanks, and glad you like it so far! Your texturing looks like it's off to a good start. It's a solid clean start and the material looks good.

@Keosar - Good catch on those cables of mine, and glad I have extra pair of eyes to spot them. I'll definitely work on those when I get a chance, as things are busy for me at the moment. As for your scene, I really like your lighting so far, especially the blue in the back hallway for variation. As for critiques, I think the only thing that stands out to me is that your textures/materials are weathered, which looks great, but your floor remains clean and reflective. It seems a little inconsistent with the rest of the scene, like the walls and ceiling. Maybe it could just be me, but I think the floor would probably be one of the most worn surfaces due to traffic of people and transporting things.

@Iniside - Looks great man, I love the ceiling so far. Watch out for that small seam on your upper wall panel plates (or at least that's what it looks like to me).

@Inwar - This looks good so far but your sky is like totally blown out with bloom. Your textures seem to have like, hard lines on some of them, like your upper wall panels. I guess it depends on what style you're going for, but so far it almost feels like I'm looking at the concept reference instead of a 3d recreation of it. Especially if I just look at the upper right area with the upper wall panels I was talking about. I think it'll look better you get everything else in there and adjust the lighting and texture materials though. Love the cables dangling from the ceiling.

@Riklopes - Looking cool. I think I would tone down the wave size of the ocean and make it more still, since it's my eyes are almost being drawn to that more.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    For those that are using unreal are you create separate shadow map coordinates for each asset or just using generate unique uvs ? What resolution are your shadow maps for say the wall and or floor ?
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For those that are using unreal are you create separate shadow map coordinates for each asset or just using generate unique uvs ? What resolution are your shadow maps for say the wall and or floor ?
    I don't even bother anymore. In max I just:
    1. Add modifier.
    2. Switch to second channel.
    3. Switch to face slection.
    4. Ctrl+A
    5. Flattern Mapping.
    I'm done with it.
    I'm not using enugh of static shadows to really care about unwrapping for lightmaps.
  • Andre.Jonsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andre.Jonsson polycounter lvl 5
    @keosar - Looking good! Only thing I can think of right now is that corner piece, I think it looks a bit weird.

@iniside - Pretty much what Xerafel said. Really like the ceiling and the pipes, good job! Have you tried playing around with gloss and specular on the blood? Try make the diffuse quite dark with a high specular and gloss.

As for me I don't have anything to show yet. Still got much to do in school and at work. Will try to do some textures this week-end though. I plan on using Substance designer and see what that will get me. Have only used it to generate maps but will try to set up a material this time.
  • Fizzly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fizzly polycounter lvl 8
    Wow! A lot of updates since I last checked the thread. Good work guys!

@inwar - I like your colors a lot, seriously.. how did you manage to get that close?!

@Xerafel - Thanks! I like the 'Clean' look of your scene, good job!

@keosar - Thank you :) Nice update, it is coming together now! How did you do the jackets?

@serriffe - Thanks man! Your scene is getting nicer and nicer by every post :) Also nice to read all of your thoughts and planning ahead. I like your windows, are you just using a simple alpha for them? Or do you have some cool shader effect going on there :) ?

Didn't do much last two nights, because I'm quite busy at work at the moment.. :poly105:

However I did add some lights tonight and tried a new light setup:

pzt44pW.jpg
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @iniside - Pretty much what Xerafel said. Really like the ceiling and the pipes, good job! Have you tried playing around with gloss and specular on the blood? Try make the diffuse quite dark with a high specular and gloss.
    Well. It's more limitation of how decals are implmened in what I'm usign right now (but I can't talk about it yet).
    Because none material tweaking I tried helped. it's issue of how decals are blended into underlaying surface.
  • riceart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riceart polycounter lvl 10
    fajnie to wygląda iniside, musisz mnie nauczyc ;)
    great job guys!
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    serriffe polycounter lvl 9
    @keosar - hey no problem, they are very inspirational to look at even before I started the this challenge. Always been a big fan of the Deus Ex art. btw I like the colors you are trying out on your lighting. And, thank you! for your great compliment! :)

@Cheathem - thank you sir! hmm scenery? you mean background outside? nope- I like the way it is, subtle but hazy background. This credit goes to the UDK team- when I walk around in my level- I really love the way they pull that Sun rays effect coming off the window, it just looks great. awesome work Epic!

@Xerafel - thanks dude! and thank you for explaining your process on those ceiling of yours- they look very nice! The references-- ah- that's no biggy.

@Fizzly - thanks man! as for the Windows- it's just mixing the right proportions- Alpha visibility at 10% ( almost opaque ) Specular at 200% and a hint of Emission at 100% maybe less? I think that's the ingredients for the window Material shader and UDK's sun rays coming off the window is the icing in the cake- that I didn't do :D
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I'm generating my second UV sets in Maya. But sometimes, for a quick test, I use UDK. As for the map resolution, I'm currently at 512 on all the assets. I'm gonna try to push the maps size to all that UDK can handle, till I get an error of death message. :)
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar wrote: »
    half way mark ^^ All tiling textures generated using knald to generate normal,convexity,concavity from height map drawn in Photoshop.
    wip1.jpg

this looks great alrady, this is really nice. It has that Anime - Production IG - Ghost in the Shell look. awesome start!
  • lukepham101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lukepham101 polycounter lvl 7
    Amazing work here guys! Lots of quality stuff here, soon this is gonna be just the Monthly Community Pro Challenge at this rate haha! :D
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i would say im nearing the half way mark, really just need to get the last few textures done, than start on props.

deusExHallway04.JPG
  • MonkeyFugitive
    Everyone's work is looking great. Here is where I'm at right now. Going to begin working on the lights, pipes, and wires next.

10340393885_130bfc24df_o.jpg

I'd appreciate any critiques and advice!
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:
    ScreenShot00031.png
    Need more particles!

@MonkeyFugitive
    Your lighting seems to be to uniform and dark. Bit brigther and more contrast would help to popup scene.
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InProgress polycounter lvl 14
    @MonkeyFugitive: You can tone that the metal and brighten up the lighting a bit. It feel really claustrophobic right now. Another thing I'd say you look into would be the windows. The metal continues going straight up, even after the corner. Most times, the metal's texture follows the direction of the beam.
    @inwar, Fizzly, riklopes, Lilith: Great sutff!
    @iniside: The blood seems too chaotic and very saturated and light.
    @Xerafel: Maybe this could help. Link

I had to redo the entire normal map, since I wanted to add details for the floor, as well as some more surfaces, like cloth. There are still some meshes that I haven't had the time to redo, so you can see some artefacting from the detail normal map.

sWJVu1hh.jpg
    And some better shots of some of the props.
    232iuB5.jpg
  • riklopes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is another update to my scene, i think im going to start with the dirt and blood pass next :P
    screenshot4.jpg
  • Xerafel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Inprogress - Awesome, thanks for that link! It'll be handy when I use UDK. Just have to find out how to do something similar to that solution in cryengine3 haha. Nice progress so far and I like your shots of the props.
  • JaySmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JaySmitt polycounter lvl 13
    Some really nice shots in here! I feel that I'm drastically behind in this challenge but nonetheless I've learnt a shit ton which I guess is the whole point ideally. Only just finished the floor panel textures and exported them into UDK, maybe I spent too much time on this one part but I really wanted to push it and make a convincing metal texture. Also I haven't even scratched the surface with the UDK materials, once I start to add the wall panels and other assets I'll take a look into making reflections in my scene if I have the time.
    tumblr_muxcgiXgEM1qiyx2io1_1280.png
  • keosar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Fizzly - I just started with a Zphere, I'm not even gonna pretend I'm a awesome character/cloth sculpter. haha

I'm gonna go back and just do some Hard surface in Maya to add more detail to it :)

I had a hard time finding Ref for HazMat Suit let alone a hanging one. I just got alot of Breaking Bad images :P
    mo5mBLl.jpg
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi folks I hope everybody is doing great on their projects :) just a heads up on my project- I'm showing the full scope of my corridor and I went ahead and extend it the level a bit more than the concept

implemented
    - level extended ( added lab room blue window )
    - attempted to partition level by separating props and modules using UDK's Levels ( failed.. getting error player start spawn point)
    - props added; locker, boxes, barrel hazmat, bench with plant, locker bench and added holographic keyboard on white touch screen display

things to do
    - add paper props on ground
    - maybe add thin tv display near locker area facing the window
    - lighting- more cool and warm colors ( lighting starting to look muted )
    - continue material definitions
    - continue research on UDK's Level function

Well that's all folks- probably going to take a small break a bit then come back. I really like what most folks are doing to their scene and it's really great seeing everyone's take on Dumont's concept of the corridor. till the next update :)

WIPDeusExCorridor_06a.jpg

WIPDeusExCorridor_06b.jpg

WIPDeusExCorridor_06c.jpg

WIPDeusExCorridor_06d.jpg
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keosar wrote: »
    @Fizzly - I just started with a Zphere, I'm not even gonna pretend I'm a awesome character/cloth sculpter. haha

I'm gonna go back and just do some Hard surface in Maya to add more detail to it :)

I had a hard time finding Ref for HazMat Suit let alone a hanging one. I just got alot of Breaking Bad images :P
    mo5mBLl.jpg
    Why do you even sculpting it ? I just used cloth sim inside 3ds max to create that hanging cloth piece. Dunno what it is, I just made knee long coat. But hazmant suit shouldn't be much diffrent on the base principle.
  • keosar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside wrote: »
    Why do you even sculpting it ? I just used cloth sim inside 3ds max to create that hanging cloth piece. Dunno what it is, I just made knee long coat. But hazmant suit shouldn't be much diffrent on the base principle.

I've used cloth modifier in the past of bed sheets and stuff but HazMat Suit folds are really sharp( from what I Googled)I haven't messed around too much with the cloth modifier settings and I'll take any chance I get to use Zbrush to sculpt assets :)
  • Polymiron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polymiron polycounter lvl 7
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    modsoft wrote: »
    -Building everything modular on a UDK grid (using jbU3Grid.mel)
    Where can i find that Script? And what does it do exact. Cause you've seem to have matched the Grids perfect with the pict. love it! :D
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx wrote: »
    Where can i find that Script? And what does it do exact. Cause you've seem to have matched the Grids perfect with the pict. love it! :D

Just set your Maya units to cm, and set a grid spaceing similar to udk, suchs as 16units.
  • Irene
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was too busy last week and I think I will not able to finish for the challenge, but I keep working for training my skills. Today I made the bench, I don't like so much the screws at the bottom of the bench and I had some problem with the alpha of the plant...but I'm pretty satisfied for today.

bench.jpg
  • Xerafel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jaysmitt - Not much to say but looks good so far. Glad you learned a lot (I did as well), and you're definitely at the point where you can move on to the next assets/textures. Sometimes it's hard for me to improve something in particular if I find myself staring at it too long, and it becomes easier to make adjustments once I have other elements into the scene.

@Seriffe - Looks great man, I like how it's coming along. If I had to nitpick, I would say that your textures look too clean for the amount of stuff going on in the scene. Like there's obviously been a lot of traffic in the hallway-movement/transport of boxes, barrels, the tubing on the floor, but not a single scratch,damage,dirt on anything. Unless they're all made out of super durable material :). Or that you're just not at that stage of texturing yet.

@Polymiron- Looks like you got most of your stuff in, which is great. Your texture resolution or details of the white upper wall panels look much higher quality and clearer than in the lower left hand corner of the screenshot of the floor though. Not sure if that's the case, but the floor details look a bit blurry, especially the orange part.

@Irene - Good job on the bench. The only thing I'd have to say is the 2 large dark spots on the wooden textures are obviously showing repetitive pattern. I'm sure you can clone/edit those out.

As for my progress, I:
    - Ended up rebaking my wall normal maps with some adjustments to the low poly model to fix the lighting seam issues.
    - Added in a railing near the grates. I noticed in one of the screenshots of the game had this, and I thought it'd be great to include it to break up space.
    - Added a wall decal for detail
    - Created lockers, which I'm not totally satisfied with the noisy looking dark paint yet.
    - Added windows and door glass.
    - Textured and tweaked the rest of the assets in the scene
    - Minor lighting tweaks

Things I want to modify/work on:
    - Grass on the bench
    - Add more variation to the cables on the bottom of the machine panel
    - Need to add cables hanging from ceiling.
    - More pipe variations to break up repetitive pattern

OPYrqeL.jpg
    b8lyDdC.jpg
    8DsbPdc.jpg
    PTLTLR0.jpg
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice Xerafel, though i would have liked if you swayed away from the game more.
  • riklopes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys here's another update..
    screenshot6.jpg

Here is a screenshot of the hazzard suit.
    hazzard%20suit.jpg
    It was a very quick model made in like, 40 min, so... :P
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    Won't be texturing the model this challenege... lol bit off more then i could chew. but working on other things now. also learned some pretty cool tips lurking around here.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
  • JoachimC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoachimC polycounter lvl 7
    Another small update on my scene: unfortunately I haven't been able to spend as much time on it as I wanted due to other projects.
    Most of the modeling work is done, but now I have a lot of texturing and shader work ahead of me. Going to try and finish still. :)
    w1LAQQo.jpg

@riklopes: Your scene's looking pretty good, keep it up. Also thank you for making me realize those orange things are hazmat suits. Couldn't figure out what those were.

@Xerafel: Nice work, I like how you're mixing it up with the railing and stuff.

@Irene: Pretty good model for the bench, although there's some very noticable repetition of the bench texture itself. I would also maybe make the colors a bit more bright and/or saturated. It could be the lighting too though, don't know. :)

@Polymiron: Nice work, I'm curious to see your progress.

@serriffe: Very impressive scene you got there. Love the blue and red color touches you added in there to mix it up.
  • RILKE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RILKE polycounter lvl 12
    Hi there !

I am running very short of time for this challenge , but I am trying my best to finish. However, I don't think I will have the time to do

props for the scene.

Everybody has done great on this challenge, some very serious work around here.

@Xerafel -very cool stuff here, I am impressed by your attachement of details, very neat work,love your last renders, very nice treatement

of the light in your scene, also love the depth in your scene.

@serriffe -love your scene , very clean shaders and textures, very efficient, love the way you have integrated the props in the scene: it

gives life to the scene. I also like the lighting of your scene: very subtle.

@Fizzly - Your scene is very inspiring, love the way you have turned out the design for yourlevel, and I am a big fan of your texture.Love

the fact you have decided not to treat the scene like a clean high tech and polished finishing.Your render is quite impressive, very nice

ambiance in the scene!

@keosar -very solid work on the HP panels!Your texture seems nice too, keep going the good work!!
    (however, the glow on your ligths is a little bit too bright at the moment I think )

@Cheathem -Some real cool design on your panels and pilasters,looking forward to seeing how you turn out the textures. Keep going!

@riklopes - Great scene! Nice work on shading and textures.The effect of the glass and the ocean works well.

@Aerial_Knight - I like your render on the ceiling with the light your textures seem good !

@iniside - Looking good! I like in particular your ceiling with the lights!

@inwar - Great avancements! Love your lighting! Very good tones of the colors, and I like the genaral ambiance of your scene.

%23shoot01.jpg
    %23shoot02.jpg
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Xerafel - hey looking good man! I really like how all your shaders turn out. I like lighting mood too, nice! And for your crit, I just added a couple of subtle dirt and grime in some places- I still want to maintain that clean look- so I didn't go crazy on the dirt stuff- I was tempted to but restrained myself- I blame - Last of Us :P

@JoachimC - wow- thank you! I really appreciate it :)

@ArtisticTiger - well that's too bad but I hope we'll see on the next challenge :]

@AlexCatMasterSupreme - love all the concepts you put out for the challenges-

@RILKE- THANK YOU SIR!

@riklopes - looking and good progress

Hi everybody- I think I am officially calling this done. I have pushed myself hard enough to test how far I can really go and I'm glad to say I have learned so much since entering this challenge.

Adding the real-reflection is a blast but it's too reflective so I got to find a way to make it scatter for matte surfaces, other than that- it looks great.

implemented
    - added real time reflection ( still need to figure how to make it blured for scattered type of reflection on surface- too reflective )
    - added props; books, papers, blueprint, red liquid something on the floor ;), hanging wires on ceiling
    - increased sun lighting color

things to do
    - Sleeeepppp......

WIPDeusExCorridor_07j.jpg

WIPDeusExCorridor_07f.jpg

WIPDeusExCorridor_07a.jpg

WIPDeusExCorridor_07b.jpg

For all the folks that entered this challenge- it's really inspirational seeing all your work and gave me a couple of things to think about and to aim for next time. I just wanted to say thank you. I'm off to the next project.
  • Xerafel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Passerby - Thanks! I absolutely loved the game and guess I wanted to remain faithful in rebuilding it with another engine. Totally understand what you mean though.

@JoachimC - Thanks man. Keep up what you're doing too, I'm curious to see how it'll turn out with the completed materials!

@RILKE - Thank you for your words :). Love the dirt and grit of the textures in your scene, makes it feel almost abandoned but recently back in use.

@Riklopes - Nice stuff, I like the windows. Only thing is that maybe your stain variations look too similar across and look like they're repeating, but might be from just that angle (or just me).

@Seriffe - Always loving your stuff. Turns out great- the colors are really nice and gives variation. Makes me look back at my scene and feel like it's boring with the colors haha.

Great job everyone. Not sure how much I'll be able to do from this point on due to my schedule but I loved seeing everyone's work.
  • [Deleted User]
    Hey guys how did you do the lightmaps of your scenes? I can't get my lighting to look good after the preview.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yuze wrote: »
    Hey guys how did you do the lightmaps of your scenes? I can't get my lighting to look good after the preview.

what engine, all i do is make a 2nd uv channel for my meshes with no overlapping and a good amount of padding. and genrally give more space to only the faces the player will see.

than on import of mesh i play with the lightmap res a little.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Seriffe I would add some normals to your windows as well as a reflection it looks like matte white plastic, also a lot of your materials looks very flat right now and could use some love. Overall it looks good but you really should play with the spec then it would be awesome.

JoachimC

Your scene feels a bit narrow and your lighting feels a tad unnatural, especially the sunlight is too red 4WRsX.jpg I did a quick paintover/cc just some ideas and whatever.

riklopes only crit is t hat AO next to your sign is crazy dark, other than that is super badass.
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seriffe I would add some normals to your windows as well as a reflection it looks like matte white plastic, also a lot of your materials looks very flat right now and could use some love. Overall it looks good but you really should play with the spec then it would be awesome.

Hey Alex thanks for the crit- I think I'm gonna step back a bit the come back next time and do most of the things you've said on my next update for this scene. I got the reflection working for the most part but was not satisfied-- on how it is being translated into the surface-- so I didn't bother adding it to the window and among other things that needed it. I just came to the conclusion that I need do a real thorough
    research on the shader for UDK. But for now, a short semi- vacation from my workstation is in order :D
  • JoachimC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoachimC polycounter lvl 7
    @AlexCatMasterSupreme: The link to your image seems to be broken. Anyway thank you for the pointers, I see what you mean about the lighting and feel of the hallway. :)
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aerial_Knight polycounter lvl 8
    Finally had time to model the lockers and seat

Lockers_Seats_zps6db517dc.jpg
  • TazN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got back from my vacation and found that everybody seems to be so much further than myself!
    It's been so long since I did anything in UDK that I had to go watch som tutorials on the basics to get myself acquainted with it all again. Wanted to get as much as possible into UDK to see how it is coming together. I'm fairly happy with the results so far but I do doubt how much I will get done with about a week left. I will concentrate on getting it finished inside 3ds max and if I have time will import into UDK otherwise that will have to be done afterwards at a later date.

Onto some crits - well more congratulations as everybody seems to have done a great job this month!

Xerafel, keep it up I'm really enjoying your work there!

Aerial - the bench and lockers look good, dont forget the foliage at the end of the bench.

Serriffe - I really like how much extra you've put into the scene, it makes it much more of a 'lived in' corridor than some generic thing, well done.

I'll finish this post with a screen shot of my UDK scene, just chucked my meshes and materials in and positioned it all roughly right. Not touched the default scene light so is much darker than it should be blad de blah you get the idea though hopefully.
    I've gone for a very modular method (well for me anyway) everything so far is on 2 2048 textures and instanced meshes. I think I might be able to finish it with a 3rd texture sheet but still have bits to build so we'll see! (previewing this it looks even darker than in udk! apologies)

[IMG][/img]wip02_zps98ef6361.jpg