Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge October 2013 (12)

Replies

• riklopes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riklopes polycounter lvl 12
    Hey guys, ive been tweaking the last bits on my scene, and i am almost sure im going to call this done, as i dont know how much time i will have on the next days.

Here it goes, i hope you like it

FINAL01.jpg
    FINAL02.jpg
    boots.jpg
    a preview of the boots i sculpted, once again, pretty basic stuff, as long as it works on that main prespective :P

FEEDBACK

Polymiron - your scene looks nice geometry wise, but you should not use so intense colors.

RILKE - Nice work with the dirt passes, really love them.

Xerafel - great work, really like the look of that scene, and nice DOF

serriffe - your scene looks nice, just too vibrant imo. I think a littlebit of desaturation on those textures and everything should look better.

JoachimC - good job so far, but be carefull with that height fog, and the bumps on the floor should be less evident, they are currently a bit too thick.
  • keosar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keosar polycounter lvl 16
    Hey guys great work so far!, only 8 days left!
    Keep it going!!

Small update from me:
    - added Cables/Wires
    - added temp blood stain decal
    - turned on IBR ( figured out some weird reflection compression issue)
    - tweaked Spec of wall some more

Things left to do:
    -Finalize Locker texture
    -Add plants
    -Add reflection to door
    -Finish pipe texture
    -Finish new Floor diffuse texture
    -More color contrast in scene
    -Fix Hall Decal
    -Add trash/debris

I'm going to try and finalize the scene by the end of the week (90%) then just clean up/tweak the Shaders and Post process.

Cheers!

ZyrychF.jpg
    zi8WAZY.jpg
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    serriffe polycounter lvl 9
    @Tazn - much appreciated! thank you! :)

@riklopes - hey thanks. hmm? yeah it does look a bit saturated- I think I'll probably put one of my shots in photoshop and play around with Hue Saturation and Values. thanks for the crit and your scene is coming along quite nicely.

@keosar - man-- that's looking nice! I really like your material set up and your lighting, the details are reading quite well. I gotta really thoroughly look at my set up next time in UDK ;]
  • keosar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    serriffe wrote: »

@keosar - man-- that's looking nice! I really like your material set up and your lighting, the details are reading quite well. I gotta really thoroughly look at my set up next time in UDK ;]

@serriffe- Thanks buddy! Yeah I've been experimenting with UDK for over a year or so, My 3d experience is mostly from game cinematics, so it's a big learning experience for me in terms of modular modeling . Can't wait to get my hands on UE4 and Marmoset 2. If u have any questions in terms of my shader/lighting setup just hit me up via pm!
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keosar wrote: »
    @serriffe- Thanks buddy! Yeah I've been experimenting with UDK for over a year or so, My 3d experience is mostly from game cinematics, so it's a big learning experience for me in terms of modular modeling . Can't wait to get my hands on UE4 and Marmoset 2. If u have any questions in terms of my shader/lighting setup just hit me up via pm!

hey man I'm waiting for UE4 as well- that's going to be so awesome! didn't know Marmo is coming up with version 2 already? been looking at the their WIPs and they are awesome. Sure, thanks for the helping hand- I'm gonna be doing a lot research on UDK from this point on and I can sure use a help a bit when I get stuck :)
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Update from me all the pieces are in place time to start texturing i just started the floor.

Can someone show me what their material looks like inside of UDK i have always had a hard time with material definition

What size lightmap resolution is everyone using ? Im aroudn 128-256 for the walls and ceiling pieces but they still look blotchy. I did a bake on medium

Update.jpg
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aerial_Knight polycounter lvl 8
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update from me all the pieces are in place time to start texturing i just started the floor.

Can someone show me what their material looks like inside of UDK i have always had a hard time with material definition

What size lightmap resolution is everyone using ? Im aroudn 128-256 for the walls and ceiling pieces but they still look blotchy. I did a bake on medium

Hi there skyline5gtr, my lightmaps are at 512, but at the moment, mine looks a bit blochy as well. I'm still currently working on it and doing research. And here's a shot of my floor shader- I think everything is in order- the real time Reflection set up is hook up to the specular
    and this shader set up is still a WIP as well and I think some folks here got a better set up than I do but I hope that helps a bit :)

WIPProductionShot07a.jpg
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good Aerial_Knight, I like that locker-
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks serriffe I spent the least amount of time on it but I think it came out the best.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks wow complicated cant understand it lol what are the 2 texture samples tied in to normal and specular
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks wow complicated cant understand it lol what are the 2 texture samples tied in to normal and specular

so the contour of the normals will also be projected into the real-time reflection-- I was actually trying to attempt something else-- like diffused or scattered reflection- cause at the moment- it looks too reflective (too shiny) the look I was going for was something like matte paint finished but still that got subtle reflection.
  • ng.aniki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ng.aniki polycounter lvl 13
    Isnt it strange to include the reflection into the specularity ? It does not seem to make much sense, they are not really related.
  • Jorvid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Aerial_Knight - Love the ceiling. The only problem is I see is that the lights have too harsh of a falloff, you should softened that up.
    You did a good job on the props, they look like the fit into the environment pretty well.
    The only real issue I have is with your floor's material. Everything looks really flat, and the brown grate by the window looks way too glossy for that material.

Overall looks good, keep it up! Also what are you using to render?
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks and I rendered it out in 3ds max for now
  • billitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billitor polycounter lvl 5
    Hello everybody, guys please give me a some critique, this my first experience in texturing,

qdFEpnWau7k.jpg
    8oYAryfi0kk.jpg
    and please anybody give some advice how to fix this glitch
    7acb24b64cba2622a6b112f92f8f91.png
  • Polymiron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polymiron polycounter lvl 7
    Okay, I think I'm done with this one just compiled everything into a mp4 real quick. I've learned ALOT about normals and diffuse from this challenge. Definetly made things a bit too bright. Turns out I've been doing this for all my past projects as well :P. I've also convinced myself that this is the last time I'm going to use UDK and will switch over to the Cryengine for any future projects. This project was fun but I'll probably skip next months because I want to do some sculpting for a while.

Anyway, some Crits..

@seriffe You adaption of the project actually inspired me to make my 3D interpertation more different from the source as well. I love the wires on the floor, they are a great adaption. One thing I'm not sure about though is the red blob on the left side of the window. I don't know if it's supposed to be blood or red light so some more clues or refinement to it's shape would help a lot to my mind.

@Rilke I need to learn how to make grunge like you do, it seriously looks awesome. I just hope you have enough time to get the rest of the props with as equal quality textures on time.

@JoachimC I think some of the scaling needs work on the hallway and some of the textures need more detail. It sounds like you have a lot of other stuff on your plate though so if you have some time before the end of the challenge you should add some deets.

@riklopes Good work bro, to me it looks way photo realistic yet stylized which is a pretty cool thing to pull off. One thing that looks kinda off though is your background water. Not the way that it looks, but the way that it meets your object. IDK if i'm right about this but a facility like the one in the picture would be further up from the water or else it would get it's shit wrecked every time there is a storm.

@JaySmit Great textures so far.

I'll be back later to write some more crits, I gotta go now though.

Here's what I ended up with-

https://vimeo.com/77748777
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ng.aniki wrote: »
    Isnt it strange to include the reflection into the specularity ? It does not seem to make much sense, they are not really related.

Well from what I know, there's two types of reflection- in simpler terms- one is Specular reflection ( smooth surface ) and the other Diffused reflection- ( rough surface ) If you are asking about the set up I got, I'm trying out stuff in UDK - my first time seriously using Unreal- so there might be a couple of hick-up node connections if you will- I like to experiment a lot :D
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @seriffe You adaption of the project actually inspired me to make my 3D interpertation more different from the source as well. I love the wires on the floor, they are a great adaption. One thing I'm not sure about though is the red blob on the left side of the window. I don't know if it's supposed to be blood or red light so some more clues or refinement to it's shape would help a lot to my mind.

Oh yeah the red blob thing :D I was trying to be clever with something :D anyways it's my first pass and I did it for fun. I actually succeeded pulling off the pool of blood effect but I got disturbed how realistic it looked so I decided to notch up the color saturation a bit- to make it less realistic, I wanted to keep my scene PG-13 at the moment and oh yeah- thank you! :)
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billitor wrote: »
    Hello everybody, guys please give me a some critique, this my first experience in texturing,

and please anybody give some advice how to fix this glitch
    7acb24b64cba2622a6b112f92f8f91.png

looks good to me? and what glitch?
  • billitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • billitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hAB6BHaZUW8.jpg
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it looks like a UVing issue? hard to tell but looks there's a texture seem there? and I'm assuming your UV ends in half of that face? If it is a UV issue? I would move that UV near the side of that edge or corner- so the reflection map? will have that seamless transition- I think that's the problem?

it could be geometry issue? where the normals of your geometry is mess up somehow?
  • RobertHedlund
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riklopes- Excellent work! Looks really close to the concept art.
    Only two minor things: The lettering on CONTROL ROOM should be spaced out and larger. Right now it's a lot of sign for a few small words.
    That and the grate hole feel too evenly spaced with the metal. It makes it feel a little like a checker board.
    Other than that, I'd say you're not a noob anymore!
  • RobertHedlund
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billitor- Looks good for a first go at texturing. Couple of things:
    Think about the construction of the object you're creating. Like how does the bend in the bench work, how do the slates fit and what's in-between them?
    Same with the planter- how was it made? Where are the bolts or connections and seems that hold the wood parts together?
    And finally, the painted spec and shadow on the planter (representing the different slats) is too perfect- too crisp of a thin line. Break it up just a bit and add a bit of imperfection to the line.
    You might also want to extrude the base of the planter just a touch for some variation.
    Minor details, but things you should be thinking about when creating textures.
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jorvid wrote: »
    @Aerial_Knight - Love the ceiling. The only problem is I see is that the lights have too harsh of a falloff, you should softened that up.
    You did a good job on the props, they look like the fit into the environment pretty well.
    The only real issue I have is with your floor's material. Everything looks really flat, and the brown grate by the window looks way too glossy for that material.

Overall looks good, keep it up! Also what are you using to render?

Thanks for the feedback!

NoobChallengeOctober2013_NeilJones_zps5a2ef594.png
  • tulkas09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tulkas09 polycounter lvl 7

You need a uv shadow map, in udk it's the channel 0
    It makes problems when you use the symmetry and the map that udk generate don't work properly.

I don't know if there is another way to fix them, but I generate a new uv in 3dmax as channel 1 without symmetry and I move the older to the channel 2(with the symmetry), then export. And then you have to go in udk(if you are using udk...) to the material in text coordinate and change the channel of the diffuse/normal/specular.

I'm explaining shortly because a) those where the crucial point to do it well b) if you know how to generate uvs and those things it is the easiest thing c) my English

hope it helps :)
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello folks, I think we got about 2 days left for this Challenge--I hope you guys are having a great time on this project as much as I have. Well- still got something to show, I thought I was done but if you guys don't mind :) I decided to give my scene another shot but this time- I ported everything into the Cryengine. I'm really liking this engine and I think I'll temporarily use it until I get use to it- it's quite interesting learning the two game engines and trying to understand how their production pipelines works.

Well here's what I got and gonna have to thank Xerafel, I stole his floor grates idea- I really thought it was really neat add that he did that. ;]

WIPDeusExCorridorCryENGINE_08a.jpg

WIPDeusExCorridorCryENGINE_08b.jpg

WIPDeusExCorridorCryENGINE_08c.jpg

Well- I'll be still continuing this project for a good while- I really wanted to have a level running on both Unreal and Cryengine for testing purposes- I'll be posting additional shots of this level on my WIP portfolio thread- I actually expanded it a bit more- stay tuned ;]
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do my walls look like big bird ? Too much saturation ?
    Update-1.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    I think they are the wrong color and not really too saturated at all, if anything not enough.

serriffe that is looking really nice but I would try and add some wear in your spec, just a tad, everything feels unnaturally clean, and a lot still reads like soft plastic, other than that I'm loving it:)
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

serriffe that is looking really nice but I would try and add some wear in your spec, just a tad, everything feels unnaturally clean, and a lot still reads like soft plastic, other than that I'm loving it:)

Thanks Alex : ) and I think you are right- I'll keep working on the rough details. Texturing is a skill I still need to master at the moment- slow progress but I'm starting to get it ;)
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arg mine looks like shiat, it does not feel like metal at all lol

What color swatch did some of you guys use for the yellow ?
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I can safely say- I'm on a higher spectrum of yellow- so you probably want jot it down a bit :D - here's my color ( R: 255 G: 174 B: 1 ) It's almost approaching the orange border.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator

You need to up the spec in your materials, post texture sheets and I'll work on them in udk if you want to show you how you could improve them.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh thank you so much alex, i just cant get the shaders right. Here are the floors sheets in jpg

As for the Lighting should i just be using 1 dominant directional light ? Then the rest are lit from indoor lights using basic light and emissive

Floor_Specular.jpg
    Floor_Diffuse.jpg
    Floor_Normal.jpg
  • TazN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right not got anything done since my last update. Had 3 days of this week to finish it and we had a power cut for the first 2 of them! Combined with my holiday I've lost about half my spare time I had planned to work on this.

I'm going to finish it to the level the rest of the scene is at and then come back to it, maybe after November challenge (some really nice concepts in there!) as December will be hectic with the usual christmas stuff.

@Skyline5gtr - good base for your textures, they just need a little more detailing and will look great. I'd focus on getting the rest of your scene to this level and seeing how it all works together before adding that final pass on them though. any wips of the scene?

@Serriffe - I liked your scene before, its just got better :)
  • keosar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The smoke is clearing, who survived the monthly challenge!!

Finished and polished up some more of the scene. I’m pretty happy with it so far, I’m going to replace the old cubemap and finish up the doors tomorrow/today.

I'm probably going to tweak the SPEC on the lockers and a few other things, to define the surface more and probably up the rez of the plants a little bit.

Any C&C always welcome.

Going to start on my next portfolio piece after this. It was a great learning experience!

Anyways, Cheers guys!

Keo

qyuGpmm.jpg

Cq4Lvfl.jpg

bHipw1X.jpg

hpMGHH7.jpg
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    ScreenShot00032.png

Mine. Been working on vehicle last week, and now seeing that October is almost end decided to finish it :D.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tazN - Im having trouble pushing it any further. Trying to figure out what needs to be added, especially on the walls since they are so plain/barren. I finally finished all of the modular modeling lol now need to do better textures. Alex helped me understand my specular maps are very weak and lack any interesting reflective detail so I need to redo them in order to get much better/ more interesting reflections and not make my materials look so flat
  • inwar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar polycounter lvl 11
    iniside wrote: »
    ScreenShot00032.png

Mine. Been working on vehicle last week, and now seeing that October is almost end decided to finish it :D.

you need to pad your decals diffuse so it doesn't have the white outline.
  • inwar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar polycounter lvl 11
    keosar wrote: »
    The smoke is clearing, who survived the monthly challenge!!

Finished and polished up some more of the scene. I’m pretty happy with it so far, I’m going to replace the old cubemap and finish up the doors tomorrow/today.

I'm probably going to tweak the SPEC on the lockers and a few other things, to define the surface more and probably up the rez of the plants a little bit.

Any C&C always welcome.

Going to start on my next portfolio piece after this. It was a great learning experience!

Anyways, Cheers guys!

Keo

Cq4Lvfl.jpg
    Scene is really good. you just need to work on that blood :P
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tazN - Im having trouble pushing it any further. Trying to figure out what needs to be added, especially on the walls since they are so plain/barren. I finally finished all of the modular modeling lol now need to do better textures. Alex helped me understand my specular maps are very weak and lack any interesting reflective detail so I need to redo them in order to get much better/ more interesting reflections and not make my materials look so flat

You need cubemap reflections. I dunno how you setup them in UDK, since I haven't been using for the long time, but I guess you can find it over wiki or internet.
  • Xerafel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Keosar - Dude that looks amazing! I just wanted to pop in and say that.

Been really busy so I haven't had time to work on my stuff (sadface), but I'm really liking everyone else's as well.
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @keosar - that's really looking really nice! I really loved that floor :)
    but the blood bugs me a bit though?

@TazN - thank you very much! :)
  • keosar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ serrife/inwar/Xerafel - Thanks for the compliments!! :), Yeah that blood is bothering me as well, I spent a few hours trying to figure out why the normal wasn't making it pop so I decided to take it out until I figure it out. I added reflections to the door ( which I'll post later) but I had that bug with DX11 not rendering cubemaps correct so I had to backtrack a little bit.

@ serrife - I love the lighting you did in CRYengine. I think overall your scene could use more material definition and the placement of the props seem a tad out of place.Like hmm it seems randomly place and not really telling a story ( hard to explain >_< ). I guess better composition of the scene?

@ Xerafel - Post your update!!!

@ skyline5gtr - I think once you add a nice SPEC map and add reflections to the walls it will make it pop. My Diffuse map is pretty simple, just some basic color and light photo overlay. I'm letting my SPEC do all the work for my Metal/Matte surfaces.

Here is my D/NM/SPEC for my walls currently. I add IBR and enabled speculator reflections on my lights to get nice highlights. I'd show you my material setup in UDK but its all over the place atm :P

zWQounr.jpg
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @keosar - thanks man but you gonna have to thank CryEngine for the lighting-- all I did was I just move the sun to opposite side of the sky, that's about it :D I see what you are saying about the props - at the moment I was just trying to break up the modular patterns by using props and I think I over did it --But composition wise this is a subject I'm heavily trying to learn-- don't worry - I'm on it :)
  • keosar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K, Last update from me,99.998871111% done, updated the cubemap/removed the bad blood and replaced the plants..can anyone guess the plants? XD

Messed around with Bokeh a little bit.

It's really cool to see it from first blockout to final art ^_^

Now for a break *Cracks open a beer*... Cheers fellas!

nlDwxEa.jpg

HTWOVvZ.jpg

nXpLOLJ.jpg
  • Xerafel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Keosar - Won't be able to finish this one on time =/. Had to devote my time to a more urgent project. Thanks though. I really do like your stuff, it came a long way.

@Seriffe - Nice updates man. Did you use an environment probe in your scene? It could help boost your lighting even more. I agree with Keosar on the prop placement. I think every prop placed in a scene should have a purpose/story for it. You don't want to just randomly place props for the sake of breaking up scene, but you want to do so in a way that makes sense. Why is it there? What's it for? Is the facility so overfilled with other stuff that people had to resort to placing boxes and barrels right out in the open hallway? Just stuff like that, but otherwise it's awesome work :)
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xerafel wrote: »
    @Keosar - Won't be able to finish this one on time =/. Had to devote my time to a more urgent project. Thanks though. I really do like your stuff, it came a long way.

@Seriffe - Nice updates man. Did you use an environment probe in your scene? It could help boost your lighting even more. I agree with Keosar on the prop placement. I think every prop placed in a scene should have a purpose/story for it. You don't want to just randomly place props for the sake of breaking up scene, but you want to do so in a way that makes sense. Why is it there? What's it for? Is the facility so overfilled with other stuff that people had to resort to placing boxes and barrels right out in the open hallway? Just stuff like that, but otherwise it's awesome work :)

@keosar - you just had to go the extra mile and then some, loved the new updates :) what's the first shot for? before and after shots?

@Xerafel - thanks man- oh yeah, there's definitely a story in my head during the process, I just didn't make it in time to make all the necessary props I needed but I'll definitely do it on my next update. Instead- I focused all my time in whole structure of the place, there's another level I did for this scene- I extended it even more, this is the first half of this level--

It's funny- while I was building this-- one of the scene that popped in my head was that famous scene from Metal Gear 2- the first appearance of the Cyborg Ninja- anyone remember that corridor scene? all bloodied up, tons of debris all over the place- I was planning to match that but decided to go the different route. :B
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message