Home General Discussion

Xbox One

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I am mostly confused about the ugly green Metro look they are choosing for it. Eeeek.
    Also, integrated Kinect ? Not everybody has their console sitting right under the TV ...

(oh - my bad about the Kinect - while it ships with it, it still seems like a separate unit. That's great news for the tech scene !!)
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

that is not 'the' steam box it is 'a' steam box. valve have approved Xi3 the company creating and selling piston to use 'steam' in there branding and install steam by default.

the nice thing about the business model is that there will be many 'steam' boxes at different price points sold by different vendors. i imagine there is some sort of certification for hardware requirements etc a company has to get from valve in order to use steam in there branding.

valve has yet to release any details about there own hardware. i doubt it will be anything close to the Xi3 price point.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/piston-is-a-steam-box-not-the-steam-box/0109034
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    marrakech wrote: »
    "Xbox One to Become More Powerful Over Time via Cloud Computing"

this is what gamespot writes ..the Xbox One is built to communicate with servers in the cloud to increase the computational potential of the system. Boyd continued "[As a developer] I can start doing things like shifting latency insensitive things to the cloud. You may have a limited number of transistors in your house, but you have an unlimited number of transistors in the cloud"

As bandwidth improves, there is potential for actual game computations to be off-loaded to servers in the cloud, essentially allowing the Xbox One to become more powerful over time as more and more transistors are connected to Microsoft's cloud infrastructure.

My question is in what way will this really work for games?

i have no clue in what way this can work .

latency will always be the issue, bandwidth has never been the issue.

It's a marketing term at most, cloud computing is nothing new and when applied to directly to games there's not much effect on your performance, running an mmo server would be one example.

And the worst abuse of the term would be with Simcity.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they have had cloud computing since the 1980s its called ftp and telnet...
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    CLOUD TRANSISTORS

THE NEXT WATERCOOLER

DOGS
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The watercooler thing was the worst line in a public conference ever.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    This couldn't make it clearer:

f2430433-6a57-4f48-90e2-47c8b66c6df8.jpg?n=XBR_Web_Hero_A_US.jpg

It's an entertainment device, not a videogame console. It's been designed to be appealing to a larger group of people and ages, not just gamers. I'm quite happy about where it's headed and I'm anxious to see what other developers do with all of this new power and connectivity.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    It's an entertainment device, not a videogame console. It's been designed to be appealing to a larger group of people and ages, not just gamers. I'm quite happy about where it's headed and I'm anxious to see what other developers do with all of this new power and connectivity.

There's a problem with that theory. No one other than game enthusiasts are going to know what it is, or want to spend the money necessary to acquire it. Grandparents bought the Wii because it was immediately obvious what you did with it, and only cost $250. Grandparents aren't going to buy the XBox One, ever.

Without being able to appeal to a broader audience, the XBox One stands much less of a chance of actually using its various media functions. In short, it doesn't currently, and never really will appeal to "everyone." Microsoft has made a terrible, terrible mistake, and is going to pay for it.
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    I get that, which is why I'll use it for my tv needs and PS4 for my serious gaming needs. That's the clarity that is most obvious to me.

Who knows, maybe the games will look better at E3. As it stands, not even the current displayed titles looked revolutionary. At least, not Killzone quality.
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    There's a problem with that theory. No one other than game enthusiasts are going to know what it is, or want to spend the money necessary to acquire it. Grandparents bought the Wii because it was immediately obvious what you did with it, and only cost $250. Grandparents aren't going to buy the XBox One, ever.

Without being able to appeal to a broader audience, the XBox One stands much less of a chance of actually using its various media functions. In short, it doesn't currently, and never really will appeal to "everyone." Microsoft has made a terrible, terrible mistake, and is going to pay for it.

Agreed
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Agreed with RK. Also, if they really had balls they would actually ship it with a traditionally-shaped remote control, or some kind of super simple control touch screen. This whole thing just sounds weird overall ...
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    gray wrote: »
    they have had cloud computing since the 1980s its called ftp and telnet...

except ftp stands for file transfer protocol and telnet is a teletype terminal protocol and that mysterious cloud everyone talks about deals with distributed storage and processing. but yeah, don't let me spoil the party, it's really all the same ;)
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator

Unless instead of selling it for an upfront price of 400$ like a traditional console, they sell it as a 50$ monthly subscription that includes Netflix or other services, like the phone business model, which makes a lot of sense with their Media Center/Service approach.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Well it is rocket science level stuff after all!
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm wrote: »
    except ftp stands for file transfer protocol and telnet is a teletype terminal protocol and that mysterious cloud everyone talks about deals with distributed storage and processing. but yeah, don't let me spoil the party, it's really all the same ;)

hehe, in a nutshell that about covers it.

its not like you could log into a cray from halfway around the world in 1991 and compute ballistics computations and run physics simulations. that sort of thing requires cloud formations, precipitation and a generous allotment of internet tubes which have only come online in the past few years. :poly142:

@Joshua Stubbles

there is a big difference between what the marketing and executive group thinkers wants and what reality gives them.

microsofts last brilliant idea was to capture the tablet market by smashing together a tablet and a desktop pc. it produced a product that was neither compelling to people who wanted a tablet or people who wanted a desktop. it provided no new usage model that made it a must have item so it failed quite miserably.

microsofts new brilliant idea is to capture the cable/smart tv market... well you can see where this is headed already.
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyD1VlQdj2s"]Francis Discusses the Xbox One Reveal - YouTube[/ame]

hmmm
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    gray wrote: »
    microsofts new brilliant idea is to capture the cable/smart tv market... well you can see where this is headed already.

Honestly? No. I think it's going to do just fine. I'm quite excited about all of the features, TV, apps and games alike. The Playstation is also moving forward as an all in one box, so I don't get the hoopla over the XBO. Sony showed more game trailers at their reveal, but less about the overall features of the hardware and software (they didn't even SHOW the hardware). Microsoft did the opposite - they showcased tons of system and software features but lacked in showing games (which is fine, considering this wasn't a damned games show, it was a hardware unveiling). If you're just interested in the games, wait until E3. :)
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    This does not sound good for the end-user: Gamasutra Article.

Sounds like you get the game, install and do not need the disk inside to play again. If this is the case, I can see why. How can you keep track of people just lending disks to install a game? (Like some PC games). Console games would get destroyed.

It needs to be thought out better because people forget. Introducing a system that requires a game to be authorized to play on another console, I can see pissed off parents going back to GameStop. Then the pressure would be on GameStop and other used-retailers to keep track of this. Sometimes when I am done with a game, I just give it away on a whim. This could make it a PITA if I forget.

Thieves on the other hand can suck it dry.

Maybe a system where if you forget and sell or lend it out, it will email your console? That requires sort of an honor system.. that I can see being abused.

Still gonna get one though...
  • gray
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Microsoft showed the box, but didn't talk about the hardware. Sony stated they had 8 gigs of unified GDDR5 ram, and touched on each part of the specs. Microsoft just said they had 8 gigs of ram.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly? No. I think it's going to do just fine. I'm quite excited about all of the features, TV, apps and games alike. The Playstation is also moving forward as an all in one box, so I don't get the hoopla over the XBO. Sony showed more game trailers at their reveal, but less about the overall features of the hardware and software (they didn't even SHOW the hardware). Microsoft did the opposite - they showcased tons of system and software features but lacked in showing games (which is fine, considering this wasn't a damned games show, it was a hardware unveiling). If you're just interested in the games, wait until E3. :)

i think you right that they will get a lot of the same market they already have but this is about attracting a new group of people who do not play many games. it will take a few years to see if they can do that. but in my estimation its a long shot. the console market is shrinking in a lot of ways and i'm not sure if 'tv' or what ever there trying to do will turn that around.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    I don't get it though.

Smart TVs already have half these features. The Samsung ones for example have voice commands, minority report gestures, skype, facebook, twitter, web browser, tv recommendations, film streaming from cloud/network, and more. So when these become commonplace, i'm going to have 2,3,4? different pieces of hardware that all do exactly the same thing, and each cost a hell of a lot more than the "simple" versions they could be.

No thanks.
  • OpethRockr55
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only thing I'm looking forward to is the new Kinect, and that alone. The improvements they made to depth sensing and the skeletal rig were pretty cool and could make for some sweet modding bits for better mo-cap and such. They probably won't sell it separate, though.

EDIT: Speak of the devil and he shall appear. I guess they announced that there's plans for a Kinect 2 for PC.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Racer445 wrote: »
    CLOUD TRANSISTORS

THE NEXT WATERCOOLER

DOGS
    Don't forget the experience.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    So we're all calling it XBone right?
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    http://www.fxguide.com/featured/xbox-one-developers-ready/

I wish Polycount would embed or have a video button!
    Mod note:
    It works fine if you use the right address, example:
    Use this: [B]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[/B]
    Plus this: [B]ayVewsRwH48[/B]
    To get this: [B]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayVewsRwH48[/B]
    which embeds automatically when you submit.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi5kMNfgDS4"]New Xbox One - Kinect: Exclusive WIRED Video - YouTube[/ame]

another video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayVewsRwH48"]IKinema RunTime for Next Generation of games - YouTube[/ame]

Substance

A screenshot from Substance Designer 3.
    Also ready for the Xbox One is Allegorithmic’s customized Substance engine. Substance is able to reduce texture sizes for faster game access and quicker downloads, and runtime generation of parametric textures.

01_sd3_big_0.jpg

Enlighten!

A still from Battlefield 3 to show Englighten, from Geomerics, is a real-time global illumination solution already used on such games as Battlefield 3, Need for Speed: The Run, Eve Online, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and the upcoming Dragon Age 3, XCOM: The Bureau, and Battlefield 4.

battlefield3.jpg

shipyard01.jpg

beneath.jpg
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Am I right in thinking XBOX 1 can do real time global illumination but the PS4 can not?
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    The hardware is more or less identical, so that thinking would be fairly naive ;)
  • Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    Am I right in thinking XBOX 1 can do real time global illumination but the PS4 can not?

It looks like it can do some form of RTGI, but not others. If the rumors hold true that the PS4 is (even slightly) more powerful, then if the PS4 can't run Epic's Unreal4 'Native' GI, the Xbone won't be able to run it.

EA's current solution they're using in BF3 and a bunch of others running on the latest Frostbite (2?) engine is evidently a significant amount cheaper for the hardware to deal with. This will undoubtedly make it to both the PS4 and Xbone.

What I don't get is the big importance placed on SD3? I know how substances are created, but all the times I've used them I had to either 'bake' them out of SD2 or, in Unity, they'd take a second to load and generate themselves on load. Unless they're now able to be completely shader-based (real-time, pixel perfect rocks, etc), wouldn't 'baking' them on level start be a bit of a nuisance when the XBone has mandatory installs anyway?
  • OverlordNeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

no you are not.

ps4 is according to what we know at the moment a bit more powerful than xbone.

xbone gpu 1.3 tflops(rumored), ps4 1.8tflops

ps4 8 gb gddr 5 unified ram (~175 gb bandwith)
    xbox 8 gb ddr 3 unified ram + 32 bs esram

it's not a huge difference but gives the ps4 an edge in terms of performance.

Most rumors/predictions for xbone has been pretty spot on so I don't see any reason not to believe this.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Brendan wrote: »
    What I don't get is the big importance placed on SD3?

There are very exciting things going on at Allegorithmic. I went to their GDC demo and that's all I'm comfortable saying :)
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Good article from Gamasutra: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/192710/Game_devs_ask_What_will_Xbox_One_do_for_indies.php#.UZy96-mmcds.twitter

Raises some very good questions. I think at the end of the day the quality of games, and as a result the value of the systems, are going to depend on how easy it will be for developers to get their games up and running on each system. It appears sony learned from the PS3, so I'll be interested to see what happens on this front. The E3 news typhoon will be a sight to behold.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    x-bone ...what a terrible abbreviation ;) might go for xb1 instead
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    One thing they didn't cover (because they didn't show it playing games) is, can you do all those extra features while playing a game? Can I run skype, while playing a game? That may be ONE thing that I might find interesting. The ability to see my friend(s), while playing, to see the reactions. Or, to look something up online, while playing, since things sometimes come up, in discussions, while gaming with friends.
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    notman wrote: »
    One thing they didn't cover (because they didn't show it playing games) is, can you do all those extra features while playing a game? Can I run skype, while playing a game? That may be ONE thing that I might find interesting. The ability to see my friend(s), while playing, to see the reactions. Or, to look something up online, while playing, since things sometimes come up, in discussions, while gaming with friends.
    I remember reading somewhere that MS will most likely be using Skype to replace their current voice chat solution that they had for the 360.
  • ZandiBrowne
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y508_rXPogQ"]Microsoft Responds: Xbox One's DRM, Always-Online, and Focus on TV/Games - Adam Sessler Interview - YouTube[/ame]

Really? You think this will be the final console we'd ever need? That's just not even realistic.

And tying a game to my live account is just screwing over the consumer. I love his scenario for 'family' using a game. Here's another 'family' scenario that they aren't thinking of: My house has 2 XBoxs; Mine and my kids'. Sometimes my kids borrow my games (and I borrow theirs). So, in order to play my game, my kids will need my profile on their xbox AND they'll have to use my profile (it's not tied to the HDD)? WOW, how convenient
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    you're not getting the friendly hint MS is giving you: buy the game twice! I think they're not telling you directly after the "deal with it debacle" but I think that's the message they want you to get ;)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOW, how convenient
    Right, what you're missing is that they don't want it to be convenient. They want you to buy the game twice. This is getting insane, to be honest ...

Anyone ever take a game over to a friends house when you were a kid? Anyone? Oh right, fucking EVERYONE did that. Not anymore, apparently...
  • pear
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Right, what you're missing is that they don't want it to be convenient. They want you to buy the game twice. This is getting insane, to be honest ...

Clearly... that's why I was being sarcastic ;) And yes, that's the other scenario. Me and my brother exchange games all the time. It was something that led me to buying the Uncharted series, and the Gears of War series. They are being extremely short sighted, in order to destroy the used game market.

What about game rental? Obviously MS and the industry don't care, but consumers do.
  • J0NNYquid
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure how this console could be more user hostile. Can they attach something to Kinect to have it punch you in the face whenever you smile?
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    x-bone sounds pretty good, and more if we consider the new call of duty: dogs :)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Personally, ive been calling in x1, just cause it sounds better. But CoD in my eyes will forever been known as Call of Doggies
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    I'm partial to XB1, or XBO, or.....The ONE.
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    Well, at least kinect can measure heart beats and tell you if your going into cardiac arrest. That's,.......helpful. Hell, maybe it's a new live game. Of coarse if you loose, I umm, hmm, yeah, if you loose......That doesn't sound promising. What was great about this again????

This was amusing

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/zknc1a/call-of-duty--ghosts-ghosts-vs-battlefield-4-graphics-comparison
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    On a side note, the PC version of the new Fifa game won't use the new engine. Can't wait to hear EA's excuse for this.

Not that that I care myself, but this has always been a popular game here in the UK.