Home General Discussion

Xbox One

Replies

• leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    true, but then you would have to compete with the ps4 hardware reveal.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdRgCQhOTco&feature=youtu.be&CMP=US_PS4_hardware_20130520_8122024

they`re competing with that any way, it`s not like i can go to the store now and buy an xbox so there isn`t much advantage to announcing earlier except for having the internet hatemachine go full on at you for not being able to show games
    J0NNYquid wrote: »
    Obviously none of us can know their true motivations, but my assumption would be that they get all the boring (to some) stuff out of the way, i.e., showing the console, talking about the tech/hardware/etc. Then save the game reveals for E3, as has been the norm. One would hope that their E3 presser will be almost entirely games, as they've already gotten the intros out of the way so to speak. Honestly I wish this is how they did it from now on, one hardware reveal event, one games reveal event, it feels less rushed that way.

I think they`re still going to show the same details at the E3 conference, at least all the sports stuff and live tv features.
  • Geezus
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    At least they didn't gather a few musicians on stage and start playing the Halo theme with instrument shaped controllers.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they`re competing with that any way, it`s not like i can go to the store now and buy an xbox so there isn`t much advantage to announcing earlier except for having the internet hatemachine go full on at you for not being able to show games

I think they`re still going to show the same details at the E3 conference, at least all the sports stuff and live tv features.

Do you honestly think they would want to share blog space with the PS4 hardware reveal?

If so then you are sorely mistaken as we all just saw.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Davision3D wrote: »
    TV, TV, TV ...There is a Dog in CoD!

But will it teach you how to love? :)

Edit:

So there's a used games fee. Hmm.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407912/microsoft-confirms-pre-owned-fee-for-xbox-one/
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    That's what happens when you put a bunch of non-sense, non experienced people in game development, oldie retarded junks to create marketing for a console. Again, all about the money, not the fun.
  • almighty_gir
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    'Xbox, Go Home'.

Edit: also that fish AI looked pretty next gen.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    "Microsoft has confirmed that all Xbox One games will require mandatory installation onto the system's hard drive and, to install the same disc onto another user's drive, a fee must be paid."

Oh man............
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Wow, stock market has jumped into a certain direction...
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    ErichWK wrote: »
    Oh man............

it also states that it's done per-account though, so that might not be so bad.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    5 billion TRANSISTORS!!!!!

Surprised how well the integration of windows and xbox worked out though I guess they had tonnes of time to work out the kinks. For the longest time I had no idea how he was controlling the xbox through his phone. 20 mins later they mention skyglass or something. Would have been nice to mention that earlier
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    Sky_HD_Box.jpg__size_10.jpg
    xbox one's competitor?
    and if I'm watching a movie on my xbox one, which i will no doubt do why am I also on the internet? I like polycount but i dont have to be on it ALL the time :poly124:

also this event needed more games. or at least some gameplay of cod or something
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    it also states that it's done per-account though, so that might not be so bad.

Err, that's worse.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Oh look the chain holding PC quality back has been extended
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Microsoft has confirmed that all Xbox One games will require mandatory installation onto the system's hard drive and, to install the same disc onto another user's drive, a fee must be paid."

freaking crazy and stupid
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    man i cant wait for call of duty: dog soldiers next year. shhhhhhhh dont give away the secret.........next year......2 dogs. ;)

new engine looked good the asset shots looked great. kinda loled at them mentioning the whole mantle thing where you jump over objects............bf3 had that shit ages ago. also pretty sure the old cods kinda did too...?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    wow, what a bunch of sour-pusses

i didn't see anything that made me hate it. looks like a console, seems like it will work better than what i currently have. having to switch inputs on my tv is aggravating, nice to see they potentially fixed that pet peeve.

i'll be interested to see how browsing the internet will work on it. tried it on my 360 the other day, wanted to watch the LoL games, couldn't do shit because html5 and flash aren't supported and the youtube was 'too complicated'.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    devs always make me laugh.

they lul and moan. 'consoles suck', 'where are the games'? etc.

Yet, give them an opportunity to work on some of these 'bleeding edge cosole exclusives' and they'll piss themselves to do it.
  • Brandon Kern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon Kern polycounter lvl 11
    Interesting stuff. I hear a lot of people are crying over stuff according to Forbes. Cheer up people!

Ghost looked pretty good, assets, characters, and environments included.

Also:
    DtkdMMO.gif
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They had me at fish AI!

Although the sub-d stuff looks pretty neat as well.
  • sulkyrobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sulkyrobot triangle
    Isn't the sub-d stuff just hardware tessellation like with DX11?
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    sulkyrobot wrote: »
    Isn't the sub-d stuff just hardware tessellation like with DX11?
    Sub-division smooths out a polygon mesh. Tessellation breaks it down into many triangles.

You can use tessellation to load displacement maps that alter the mesh like sub-division would.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    wow, what a bunch of sour-pusses

i didn't see anything that made me hate it. looks like a console.
    No, it looks like a media center. Consoles, as far as I understand them, are for playing games.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    No, it looks like a media center. Consoles, as far as I understand them, are for playing games.
    Did I miss the announcement that they no longer support playing games on this system?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    WarrenM wrote: »

Yeah, I'm sure it plays games as well, sheeeeeesh.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    CoD did look really good, but after all the games shown at the PS4 demo, I was really disappointed by what they showed. I mean what's the point of having a reveal if not to wow people. With that said, I'm sure after E3 all will be well.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    The reveal wasn't for gamers. E3 is for gamers.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Did I miss the announcement that they no longer support playing games on this system?

I must have missed that too. Relax people.
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Damn people seem pretty salty about the One (....that sounds stoupid). I didnt see anything that warrants concern we ll see games at E3. Seems to me as the PS4 and Xbox One will be pretty close.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Here's at least one game, Quantum Break, from the Alan Wake guys:

http://thedroidguy.com/2013/05/quantum-break-by-remedy-studios-revealed-at-xbox-event/

Video is mostly live-action, but there are some CG parts, though I'm not sure if those are in-game or cinematics or what.
  • Lloydyy89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't say I was impressed. Then again, I'm probably not the TA for that event. I'm hoping it really begins to appeal to me at E3, or else I'm just going to stock up on 360 games and upgrade my PC.
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I was actually pretty supprised the dogs fur wasnt a bunch of alpha. especially given how alpha crazy their engine was in the past with all the grass.

overall im excited for both new consoles, but damn i hate those press conferences, everyone is so fake and scripted it ruins it. makes it pretty clear im being brainwashed at advertised to like crazy.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Anyone else think this when he was navigating the Game Center? aq9vZYR_700b.jpg
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid wrote: »
    I must have missed that too. Relax people.
    It obviously plays games. Unfortunately, this reveal shows where the focus is for this console - a media and social center. This was how they chose to present their first impression to the world and that says something about the direction it's moving in.

It will have games, sure. But they sure aren't the primary focus anymore.
  • sueds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sueds polycounter lvl 11
    Subdiv is probably build onto http://graphics.pixar.com/opensubdiv/overview.html, and technician at pixar are the original creators of the algorythm ( catmull/clark ). The subD is undeed a tesselation technique but probably on the gpu contrary to maya and max version ( last time i check it was on the cpu)

The only problem with it is that the subdivision is not drive by a texture, so it's driven only by the existing polygons. Basically you won't have all the bake details front the high poly model you can get on the dx11 displacement or vector displacement technique. That's the reason Ghost look so round and flat.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I think their flaw is in terms of presentation. Video game consoles in the past have largely focused around video games they can play. Most people that watched this presentation were expecting a video game console presentation, where as they focused on showing a console that is capable of many other things.

The bigger fear is price point. They never mentioned how much it will cost, which some assume can hit $500 because the Kinect will be shipping with the system (assuming).

I think that since PS4's presentation focused more on games, it was much more successful in the gaming community.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    5 MILLION TRANSISTORS

DOG MOCAP

christ i hate marketing.
  • sulkyrobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sulkyrobot triangle
    The bigger fear is price point. They never mentioned how much it will cost, which some assume can hit $500 because the Kinect will be shipping with the system (assuming).

They confirmed Kinect is included and the Xbox One won't actually function if there isn't one present.

Agreed with the presentation and I'd imagine (hope) that they're saving the actual game content for E3.

Also not sure why people mention stock. Pretty sure Sony's dropped when they announced PS4. It's not a big thing.

I can see why people are angry about the pre-owned/rented but it doesn't seem that different from when PC games relied on cd-keys. I do wonder what it'll do to the stores which offer games for rent.

Really looking forward to E3 now.

I am hugely disappointed that I've read the TV stuff is US only which removes one of the big features of it for a majority of people. If that's true...
  • Faltzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The new xbox looks like an old VCR :/.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    I think their flaw is in terms of presentation. Video game consoles in the past have largely focused around video games they can play. Most people that watched this presentation were expecting a video game console presentation, where as they focused on showing a console that is capable of many other things.

I think that since PS4's presentation focused more on games, it was much more successful in the gaming community.

I agree, I think if they had billed it from the get-go as a console reveal and nothing more, people wouldn't have been expecting to see all the new games, which is where I think a lot of the disappointment is coming from. It was definitely a confusing press conference, they sort of showed some games? It felt tacked on, like they knew they had to have some games to show, but didn't want to give it all away, so they showed off the ones that please the investors, hence EA and COD having big spots.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So Infinity Ward made COD Ghosts with a 'new' game engine, oh really, how new are we talking about? - was that from scratch or do they mean, 'yeah basically we just implemented some new features, made the engine more efficient'. How full of shit is that? Technically new because, it's different from before but not new, new.
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    I really don't understand the general disdain for the new consoles...not sure what people were expecting, really. I'm pretty excited about the directions on all fronts.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    So Infinity Ward made COD Ghosts with a 'new' game engine, oh really, how new are we talking about? - was that from scratch or do they mean, 'yeah basically we just implemented some new features, made the engine more efficient'. How full of shit is that? Technically new because, it's different from before but not new, new.

yeah i agree it's pretty stupid, but "brand new" sounds a whole lot better than "version 8.2.056F" or whatever it actually is nowadays

just more marketing stuff
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I cringed when I saw the dashboard, oh great, more ads on my home screen. >.>
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12

Pretty much this. Also, even if MS tries to sell their console as a media center, they shouldn't underestimate the influence of the core gamers. These are the guys who will be the early adopters and who will contribute to the initial success.

If MS is trying to compete in the market of smart TV's, home theaters and what not, they need as much leverage as they can get.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Ark wrote: »
    Looks pretty uninspired from the name to the design to the focus on a media hub.

To be fair, calling a console '___ 4' and having it focus on games while sharing similar a design to the past generation is also not all too inspiring either (but hey, it's what we seem to want).
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    devs always make me laugh.

they lul and moan. 'consoles suck', 'where are the games'? etc.

Yet, give them an opportunity to work on some of these 'bleeding edge cosole exclusives' and they'll piss themselves to do it.

Where was XNA? Where were the details about the back-end features? This entire presentation wasn't focused on developers at all. It was squarely focused on the target audience that the 360 already has.

While I don't want to brow-beat Microsoft too badly for playing it safe, it also seems like a wasted opportunity. The kind of people who are going to follow a presentation like this on-line aren't the same people who are going to be swayed by games they already knew were coming.

The one really big take-away for developers from this conference was the confirmation of 8 Gigs of RAM. That is one of the more important technical details that is truly significant for developers. But that was just a minor bullet point. Microsoft was going out of their way to make this entire reveal about appealing to the dude-bro audience.

This was a mistake. The coverage at E3 is going to be a better venue for targeting that kind of audience. This press event was Microsoft's chance to counter Sony's all-out assault on appealing to developers. They dropped that ball. They opted instead to focus hard on some strange obsession with Hollywood.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't like the fact that any games console would focus on competing with smart TVs. Really not sure about the whole social media/global thing on your games console. For sharing game achievements/videos yeah sure but I don't need my console plugged into Facebook or any other shite.

A smart TV is just that, and choosing whether I have my console constantly on as much as my TV is stupid, why would anyone have a smart TV and choose to stream through their console? Like BBC iplayer/netflix, etc.