Home General Discussion

Xbox One

Replies

• skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl wrote: »
    yes, im sure the devs will see the cash made from people buying to play the second hand copies and not just MS... :poly142:

better MS than Gamestop to be honest.
  • Kitty|Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl polycounter lvl 3
    better MS than Gamestop to be honest.
    a lesser of two evils is still evil though :(
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl wrote: »
    a lesser of two evils is still evil though :(

yes, but this evil actually funds developers.
  • ScottP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottP polycounter lvl 10
    I was expecting more from Microsoft on this, especially with the time to prepare for a better unveil than PS4 which I still want to impressed with.

The worst part has to be the name. When you speak it verbally it sounds like your talking about the original Xbox.

Well, here is hoping Gabe Newell comes in and whoops both there asses! :)
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Of course Sony had to woo developers with the PS4, the PS3 had gotten the reputation of being hard to develop for - it went so far that even fanboys used it in console war arguments.

My mistake on the games, both presentations sort of lost me when they started showing the games.

This is important, and I agree. Now that Sony have had an ok reveal, in terms of how easy it is to develop for, they come across as completely different to the forced CPU specs they had with the PS3. All of a sudden the new Sony console looks better because of a releasing of the reins, which Microsoft had done successfully with the 360. Microsoft might actually be continuing with the status quo that they set, which is no bad thing, whereas Sony are acting differently than before, which is a new exciting thing for them - post PS2.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I've only played 3 games off of your list so platform exclusives don't really draw me. I have equal amounts of meh for the next Gears as I do for the next Killzone.

That's the problem though isn't it? If you have a 360, you're inclined to buy games for that platform regardless of their exclusivity, that works out fine for MS.

But you don't have either new console. If you have a choice between a Ps4 and an Xbox One, but only the Ps4 has anything exclusive you care about, then it's a no brainer that there's no reason for you to actually ever pick up the Xbox, even if you were to consider both.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Richard Kain

consoles use pc graphics card and hardware. there essentially pc's that you have no ability to upgrade. there is no effect on a console that cannot be done on any of the other pc hardware.

if you target a game at a low hardware spec on pc\mac\linux\android you have vastly larger market to target. if you up your target then you have a smaller market but one that is still vastly larger then the console market. and within a few years of release even the low hardware spec systems will be higher spec then the console spec.

i think the whole direction is to write once and run everywhere. low level hardware hacks are not portable. i doubt you will see much in that direction anymore. there are so many devices now that have the graphics to substitute as game platforms portability is the main driver for studios that want to expand into these markets.
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    Well, Gray, your average Joe doesn't know crap about computers. He want's something that he can just plug in and play infront of his tv for a decade or so. Preferably as cheap as possible.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    ambershee wrote: »
    But you don't have either new console. If you have a choice between a Ps4 and an Xbox One, but only the Ps4 has anything exclusive you care about, then it's a no brainer that there's no reason for you to actually ever pick up the Xbox, even if you were to consider both.

And the flip side is true, there aren't any exclusives that are a must have for me on the PS4. I don't care about the Kinect or the Move so that's a wash. I do own an iPad2 but no Vita so I'm interested in how smartglass works - I love using iMediaShare on my smart tv and I wish there was more interaction between my tablet and other devices.

I'm also interested in the cable tv integration but I'm going internet only until Google Fiber comes to my neighborhood so it's not a pressing matter.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker wrote: »
    Well, Gray, your average Joe doesn't know crap about computers. He want's something that he can just plug in and play infront of his tv for a decade or so. Preferably as cheap as possible.

enter the steam box :). it will more then likely be cheaper more powerful and more open. i'm not so sure how stupid average joe is any more. a good chunk of the average under 25 has some understanding of hardware and is not afraid to tinker and mess with things.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gray wrote: »
    enter the steam box :). it will more then likely be cheaper more powerful and more open. i'm not so sure how stupid average joe is any more. a good chunk of the average under 25 has some understanding of hardware and is not afraid to tinker and mess with things.

do you REALLY think the Steambox will be cheaper?
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    gray wrote: »
    i think the whole direction is to write once and run everywhere. low level hardware hacks are not portable. i doubt you will see much in that direction anymore. there are so many devices now that have the graphics to substitute as game platforms portability is the main driver for studios that want to expand into these markets.

That's why I develop using Unity. (free iOS and Android support, whooo!)

And modern consoles no longer use off-the-shelf PC components. The next consoles coming down the pipe are designed with custom chips, motherboards, etc... The PS4 in particular seems quite impressive with architecture that is designed specifically for high-end game development.

But yes, I do get the point that cross-platform development makes a lot of a console's potential power irrelevant. (in much the same way that targeting lower PC specs does)

I don't think fixed hardware platforms are irrelevant just yet, though. (but things are beginning to trend in that direction)
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    And the flip side is true, there aren't any exclusives that are a must have for me on the PS4.

Can we all just chill the fuck out and wait until E3? I'm pretty sure everyone here knows that all the first-party hard-hitters that Sony and MS are keeping on the bench are going to come out in force at E3 - thats when we'll know the real launch lineups for both platforms. And god help anyone else who's exhibiting at E3...

Personally, my gut feeling is saying Sony are going to come out ahead in terms of launch titles, but let's wait and see.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I don't expect a lot of this E3, really.

Btw, i was surprised to see a dog scanned and with mocap, that's a huge advance!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    That dog must be really well trained to get it to act in a weird enviroment, in suits, with people in weird suits.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    marks wrote: »
    Can we all just chill the fuck out

I'm totally chill, I'll probably end up buying them both in about 4-5 years :P
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    ZacD wrote: »
    That dog must be really well trained to get it to act in a weird enviroment, in suits, with people in weird suits.

My wife has gotten our siberian husky to do some pretty crazy stuff with the power of doggie treats.

And he's not a particularly smart dog. Sweet and goofy... but not very smart. :poly142:
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    "Here's how the system works: when you buy an Xbox One game, you'll get a unique code that you enter when you install that game. You'll have to connect to the Internet in order to authorize that code, and the code can only be used once. Once you use it, that game will then be linked to your Xbox Live account. "It sits on your harddrive and you have permission to play that game as long as you’d like," Harrison said."

Fuck you Microsoft.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    do you REALLY think the Steambox will be cheaper?

i think that what ever they put out will have a far better read on the actual market for the product then microsoft or sony has. what ever they offer will be more compelling for gamers. even if it is at the same price point it will have all the extras that make it more attractive.

@Richard Kain
    the original reason for a dedicated 'game console' was that they had hardware far in advance of any other system that was available to the general consumer. that is no longer the case. and the graphics power of even relatively cheap computers now is 'good enough' for a large portion of the games that people want to play. the only reason why the game console even exists now is there is a monopoly on the distribution network that the large developers have gotten use to. and consumer choice takes a few years to change its habits. when you add digital distribution to the picture it fundamentally changes the equation. there is a generation of people who have nostalgia for there consoles and will buy them but the next generation after would rather have an ipad. people are getting use to playing games everywhere just like they watch movies etc. i just don't see the "home entertainment system" based on the tv in the living room as the main market for games in a few years.
  • Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    I watched every minute word for word with a couple of my co-workers.

Xbox one looks like complete shit. Zero games for anything but the "bro" audience. And the inclusion of all this fantasy football/basketball/whathaveyou just reinforces that to me. Obviously they want xbox to now be your one stop shop for couch media entertainment, but they are lying to your face about how great this is by including such software as internet explorer and of course bing search.

I just don't understand why it took an hour for them to show nothing.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Well, the fact is that in order to play actual games in pcs you really don't need to buy a tri-sli GTX 680, nor a single gtx 670. If you are a "joe", you go to a store such as mediamarkt, and you ask for advice. With a gtx 560 we have more than enough, and we don't need to waste more than 500 euros on a new pc. The new games won't take too much advantage of the actual hardware, the xbox one specs are not very good. My brother still uses q9550 with a gtx 285 and runs all the games at max specs except 2 (crysis...), of course at 1080p.

A steam box could be easily priced at 500 euro or less if they build the needed components without going hardcore. A pc is not expensive nowadays and its market is going towards the free to play model.

they didn't show too many games, but at least we saw how big is the new "pc xbox" (it has windows 8 )
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Super wrote: »
    "Here's how the system works: when you buy an Xbox One game, you'll get a unique code that you enter when you install that game. You'll have to connect to the Internet in order to authorize that code, and the code can only be used once. Once you use it, that game will then be linked to your Xbox Live account. "It sits on your harddrive and you have permission to play that game as long as you’d like," Harrison said."

Fuck you Microsoft.

you just described every game ive bought on steam and for pc in the last 5 years.

and if you read any games terms of service they are giving you permission to use their product and can technically revoke your license at any time. not that they ever do. this is nothing new or anything to get knickers twisted over.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you just described every game ive bought on steam and for pc in the last 5 years.

and if you read any games terms of service they are giving you permission to use their product and can technically revoke your license at any time. not that they ever do. this is nothing new or anything to get knickers twisted over.

That license model goes back to DOS days and earlier.

The difference is that when you have a copy of the physical media, you retain a pretty big chunk of control. Unless they want to come try and take it from your house, you can continue using it as long as you can get it to run.

But the cloud... someone, somewhere decides to flip a switch or change a directory permission or unplug a server, the game you purchased and everything stored with it is gone forever and you have no recourse.

I respect the technological achievement of cloud storage and computing and all the nifty integrated stuff that can come with it, like crowdsourced-data AI modeling and dynamic matchmaking and persistent worlds and stuff.

But the notion of having my possessions and data existing somewhere far away at the whims of someone else... that freaking terrifies me. For a huge number of reasons.
  • Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
  • cdavidson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cdavidson polycounter lvl 8
    GarageBay9 wrote: »

But the notion of having my possessions and data existing somewhere far away at the whims of someone else... that freaking terrifies me. For a huge number of reasons.

Your money exists somewhere far away and is at the whims of other people (banks)

Well unless its all under your mattress lol :P

The future is digital. There will be less and less physical stuff as time goes on. Just the nature of the beast.
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    I think this is pretty much my reaction to this reveal
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ekOtn7L1N0

YES. that's perty much it.
  • Sean VanGorder
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cdavidson wrote: »
    Your money exists somewhere far away and is at the whims of other people (banks)

:shifty:

(also, there are some pretty stringent laws about what must be done before bank accounts can be seized or frozen... not so much for video games on cloud storage.)
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Memory wrote: »
    I watched every minute word for word with a couple of my co-workers.

Xbox one looks like complete shit. Zero games for anything but the "bro" audience. And the inclusion of all this fantasy football/basketball/whathaveyou just reinforces that to me.

This right here is the problem. They showed sports games and COD, and immediately, this is only for the "bro" crowd. Unless you have a time machine and have already been to E3, you literally have no idea what other games are in the pipeline. They said today, and anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but in the launch year, there will be 15 new exclusive games, 8 of which will be brand new IPs. So we can safely assume Forza, Gears, Halo, Dance Central, 2-3 more Kinect games, but that still leaves us with a pretty decent amount of games that you nor I have any clue about. So to condemn it based off of some of the games the PS4 will no doubt be promoting is silly.

I don't mean to sound so worked up, and I generally try and stay out of the console arguments, but all I've seen since the press conference is just cynicism across the board (one of my least favorite qualities in people). I think it's good to have a healthy amount of skepticism whenever we see one of these reveal press conferences, but that skepticism, especially when it comes to xbox vs. ps4 or what have you, too often turns to cynicism. It was the same way with the PS4 announcement, people trashed it based off of little to no information. Until E3 is done we look foolish if we condemn either console to being better/worse than the other. Sure, you can hypothesize, and make whatever assumptions you see fit based off the information you have, but to me, it seems foolish, and I'll save my judgement until I've personally gotten my hands on both.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18

Steam requires you to be online at least once every 24 hours?

Steam requires you install and then input a serial key with each purchase (with a pad no less!)?

It seems the good folks at MS are allowing you to use your disc on another machine.. for a fee though. Lucky us.

The future is here.
    VF4uMAJ.png
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha

the thing i keep thinking is, how many years have they been working on this? like 5-6 years. fan boys have been sitting around for over 5 yeaaars waiting for this? really? 5 years for windows on your tv? i'm not saying sony looks any better. if i wanted a mid range 2010 pc i would go on ebay and pick one up for 200$. :D!!
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I think this is pretty much my reaction to this reveal
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ekOtn7L1N0

lol. good I'm a PC gamer though but that was quite entertaining. He's quite worked up over this hehehe.

I just bought a PS3 not long ago, so I don't think I'll get one of those myself any time soon, but I really look forward to working with the new tech.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cdavidson wrote: »

The future is digital. There will be less and less physical stuff as time goes on. Just the nature of the beast.

money does not come with a ula that says if at some point in the future the bank decides to confiscate your money for what ever reason they want you have waved your right to sue them and recover it .

something tells me if banks did have such a ula then they would all be out of business in short order and the majority of money would be held in gold bricks and bitcoins.:)
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    yes, but this evil actually funds developers.

Funds and kills them after the fact. You know it! ;)
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    As long as it plays games... and better support from Japanese companies (more jerbs).
  • gray
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I liked the reveal. Xbox One is a solid name. Better than Xbox Infinity, Durango or Xbox720. The console has a retro but sleek look, fitting right alongside my other media equipment. I don't need it to be neon lit or tiger striped. Also remember that this was a hardware announcement, not a games press conference. That's what E3 is for. This was strictly for showing the capabilities of the machine/software and to be honest, it did a far better job than Sony did with their unveiling.

When you see the games that are being made for XBO at E3, you'll be happy. We're doing amazing things with Forza 5 and the rest of the developers are doing equally incredible work.

Consoles aren't limited to this tiny niche market anymore. People want simplicity and developers want larger audiences. It makes sense to tie these things together in one box and bring entertainment to everyone.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It's a confusing name, people call the Playstation PS1 or Playstation one. I've been saying it all day, and it still doesn't sound right.

I don't get how anyone could think this conference was better than Sony's. The comments on Sony's was about 75% positive 25% negative. The Xbox one comments have been 90% negative. Also for a hardware announcement, they didn't talk much about the hardware.

The focus of the presentation was its TV capabilities, when cable subcriptions are declining. It's a nice feature for those with cable, but the people that are most likely to buy your console on launch are cutting cable.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I don't need it to be neon lit or tiger striped.
    urgh. I want to see the person who actually NEEDS this ;)

When you see the games that are being made for XBO at E3, you'll be happy. We're doing amazing things with Forza 5 and the rest of the developers are doing equally incredible work.

I really look forward to the games. Although the whole media center bla bla-here-is-how-we'll-get-your-money doesn't interest me at all. Maybe if you're in marketing and sales you'll get excited?

As PC gamer I hope the new architecture will make it easier to port games to the PC Actually my company is doing this - so this might make the job easier as well :)
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Yeah, generally enjoyed the reveal - however am confused as to why it had to be now as opposed to a few weeks at E3. It's not like it would get "lost" in all the other press, and would probably been good for a stronger announcement. I do see the benefit in letting the public know now, then when it comes time to talk more at E3, they don't need to do the stuff gamers don't care about. I'm on the fence, but at least the news is out?

Sad that it is not backwards compatible, that is something the PC will always have on console games (with some exceptions!), and really anticipated seeing featured with this new console as the PS4 does not support it either (nor most PS3s). Some sort of emulation would have been nice, their message is "to bring all of your media together into one place," but 1/2 of my media I consume on my TV are XBOX360 games. Their mindset is forward thinking, but doesn't do much to support their customers of the past 8(?) years. Sure, you can keep your 360 around, but now you have 2 boxes, possibly 2 kinects, 4-8 controllers...

Excited to see more about the video streaming of games!
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    I liked the reveal. Xbox One is a solid name. Better than Xbox Infinity, Durango or Xbox720. The console has a retro but sleek look, fitting right alongside my other media equipment. I don't need it to be neon lit or tiger striped. Also remember that this was a hardware announcement, not a games press conference. That's what E3 is for. This was strictly for showing the capabilities of the machine/software and to be honest, it did a far better job than Sony did with their unveiling.

Consoles aren't limited to this tiny niche market anymore. People want simplicity and developers want larger audiences. It makes sense to tie these things together in one box and bring entertainment to everyone.

Yea the name is solid. Controller with feedback in the buttons is a neat thing. I just question the focus on Kinect and TV for the system though. Pay TV subscriptions are actually shrinking for the first time here in the US while game consumption is still increasing. It would make sense to me that they focus on games rather then TV/Kinect, but they did the opposite.

At the end of the day there will be some amazing games on the console regardless of it's very powerful remote control capabilities.

They better blow the internets pants off at E3 with the games, otherwise they have a steep hill to climb with the vocal minority.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my gosh. Something just occurred to me.

All of this TV connectivity functionality that Microsoft is touting as the future of the XBox One? Nintendo has already done this. In fact, they've done it better, at a fraction of the cost, and with a much simpler mechanism.

The Wii U game pad allows you to control your television directly, including changing channels, inputs, and adjusting the volume. And the game pad itself allows you to play games and browse the internet. So everything the XBox One is promising, I can already do from my Wii U, only I have two screens to do it on instead of one.

Microsoft is shoving an extra HDMI port into the back of the XBox One in order to provide an arguably poorer experience to what the Wii U already delivers. (face-palm)
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Remember when they announced the Nintendo 64 and how blown away everyone was? How times have changed.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Oh my gosh. Something just occurred to me.

All of this TV connectivity functionality that Microsoft is touting as the future of the XBox One? Nintendo has already done this. In fact, they've done it better, at a fraction of the cost, and with a much simpler mechanism.

The Wii U game pad allows you to control your television directly, including changing channels, inputs, and adjusting the volume. And the game pad itself allows you to play games and browse the internet. So everything the XBox One is promising, I can already do from my Wii U, only I have two screens to do it on instead of one.

Microsoft is shoving an extra HDMI port into the back of the XBox One in order to provide an arguably poorer experience to what the Wii U already delivers. (face-palm)

The thing is you have to have the misfortune of owning a Wii U :P
  • HardBaller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HardBaller polycounter lvl 7
    Btw. guys. On the "always on" subject. (maybe i missed it but i don't think so). It's not really always on but it seems you need to check in online once every 24hrs to be able to use your stuff. Still far to ridiculous if you ask me.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/192721/Xbox_One_isnt_alwayson_but_it_will_require_a_regular_connection.php
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Sukotto wrote: »
    The thing is you have to have the misfortune of owning a Wii U :P

HAHAHA THIS x 100,000,000!!!!

Yeah so many awesome games on Wii U....
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah so many awesome games on Wii U....

Yes, when all of those Nintendo first-party titles hit, I'll be so sorry I have one.

Nintendo systems might not be the only system to own. But when you can afford them the discriminating gamer makes sure that they do own them. Nintendo's first-party development still brings the heat.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    About one of the issues mentioned in this thread, Microsoft confirmed that you will be able to play freely your games at a friend's house if logged with your account on his console.
    I get that people are pissed by the reveal as it was not game oriented, but that's what E3 is for. It wouldn't make sens to reveal games now, 2 weeks from the show. Maybe they should have actually waited till E3 for the reveal.
    I found it to be interesting, even though it was probably too US oriented (Madden and fantasy leagues don't speak much to the European crowd) but it's in line with their strategy of becoming THE media center in the US I guess. Their real enemy as a company is Apple, not Sony.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Jerc wrote: »
    About one of the issues mentioned in this thread, Microsoft confirmed that you will be able to play freely your games at a friend's house if logged with your account on his console./QUOTE] Yeah but I don't think many people would want to sign in their friends Xbox and I can only assume they'd make you install the game again. Although with sports games and the way EA was it was a pain on the ps3, they had this same kind of thing with the new sports games like NHL 13 and FIFA 13... You couldn't play online with an account that didn't have the online pass. It exists now I suppose, its a pain but still not that bad.