Home Technical Talk

Maya zPipeMaker Script

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
chriszuko polycounter lvl 12

To download or buy click here!

Finally Got it all setup. Ended up just doing a buy it now button that links with mailchimp to auto-respond to buyers emails. The price is $10.00 for the advanced version and the simple version is free! Main reason for not going with creative crash is because creative-crash takes 45%and has a minimum selling price of $20.00. At that point it wouldn't even be worth the price increase for anybody. It would just be making you guys spend more money for no reason. Anyhow Enjoy all the videos and happy pipegasm! 

HOW TO INSTALL ----
Move the script to the documents/maya/scripts folder
Copy and Paste this section of code to run. Make sure you set it to python.
import zPipeMaker
reload(zPipeMaker)
zPipeMaker.gui()
If you are using the simple version of the script use.
import zPipeMakerSimple
reload(zPipeMakerSimple)
zPipeMakerSimple.gui()

Things in the works eventually.
1. Split pipe option.
2. Independent radius controls.
3. T-Intersections
4. Entire "rig-based" system with control curves instead of sliders.
5. Convert to Curve then back to bend deformers. (This one would just be terrifyingly powerful)

Thanks to everyone who downloads the basic version and purchases the advanced version. 

Replies

• chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I was aware of that. My thinking is that If it wasn't there and a user downloaded a new version without closing Maya and got and didn't see the new stuff... I would get an email asking me why then an email again after they reloaded Maya saying oops nvm. Its not really bogging down anything badly at the moment so I figured I might as well keep it. Thanks for the info though! Lemme know if my thought process there makes no sense.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Ya true, it does slow things down but only really matter for things that are huge, like if you ever modified the pymel core, you can see a Hugh startup cost to using reload.

But you prolly got 1 module and maybe a thousand lines of code so likely no more than a fraction of a second to a second to reload.

Good thinking ahead since I had that problem before.
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Exactly my thoughts. I am not using pymel, but I've had issues in the past where people who have given me scripts that use pymel have a way longer boot up time. I think its just the initial load, but still. Good thing to keep in mind. Thanks!
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Just sent out an update to eerrrrybbody with a small update. Someone found a bug with maya 2015 that I fixed ASAP. So now the script is on version 2.12 and should work with 2015. You do not need to update the config file and if you purchased the advanced version check your email if you lost the link, the same download link is in the new email. Thanks!
  • Arthaven
    Offline / Send Message
    Arthaven polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the quick update! Usually there's quite a wait for script updates and fixes. Much appreciated! :)
  • TheBlueCurls
    I wish it was working on mac and maya 2015, I spent almost 2-3 hours to figure it out... I keep getting the sam error:
    # Error: line 1: ImportError: file <maya console> line 1: No module named zPipeMakerSimple

I also tried it on another mac on 2014 and it didn't work either.
  • Visum
    Offline / Send Message
    Visum polycounter lvl 7
    Purchased.
    This looks super useful.
    Thank you for giving us another tool that makes life easier :)
  • Chimp
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    would pay $40 for max version.
  • Mark Dygert
    Chimp wrote: »
    would pay $40 for max version.
    Splines don't suck as bad in 3dsmax as they do in Maya, so there is a lot of flexibility there just with splines. Outside of that, if you go back to the first page and scroll down a bit you'll find PipeGen which is pretty much zPipeMaker for 3dsmax.
  • Visum
    Offline / Send Message
    Visum polycounter lvl 7
    Is there any chance to make this work with Maya LT?
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    I will look into it, but from what I can tell, Maya Lt doesn't have python integration. Therefore you would have to find out a way to get python into Maya. If its possible.. I have no idea. I sure as hell am not gonna convert the script over to Mel. Sorry :( maybe they will add it in the next versions.
  • Visum
    Offline / Send Message
    Visum polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah i realized that after i bought the plug in haha.
    It's ok though. I'm happy to support good stuff :)
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    That is very much appreciated. Thank you for your support!
  • heavenchains
    I still don't know how to get it to work on maya 2015 on mac, Because the directory is so different than the windows version and this link that "prtcle" provided doesn't work and needs invitation from the blogger admin
  • StormyW
    I love this script. I stumbled across it when looking for something else and had to immediately try it out. It works great (Maya 2011), the only problem I am having is when I click on Finish Pipe. This happens every single time. What could be causing this?

7b7b81e083ea666f709708d88dc82727.png
  • Archie Andrews
    The UV issue happens also to me Maya 2013 on MAC. Shame because this was they factor for me. Its been mentioned twice but no response as yet. Cant ask much if its FREE but the guy does boast excitedly ;) that the UV's should be clean. Any chance of a reply mate? TVM

I also get the error message about merging vertices (No vertices were merge. Tolerance too large). I've tried various setting adjustments but not good as yet.
    Anyone? Bueller ?
    Archie
  • StormyW
    The creator was able to help me with my problem. It turned out to be that I was resizing the pipe in the wrong area.
  • Mayalicious
    Offline / Send Message
    Mayalicious polycounter lvl 8
    Does this work on Maya 2016? Anyone confirm?
  • JW90
    Offline / Send Message
    JW90 polycounter lvl 4
    Any luck with the maya 2015 mac option?
    Im still getting the : # Error: line 1: ImportError: file <maya console> line 1: No module named zPipeMakerSimple #

I have tried
    - Users\Shared\Autodesk\maya\2015\scripts
    - Users\Shared\Autodesk\maya\scripts
    - Documents\maya\scripts
    - Library\Preferences\Autodesk\maya\2015(with -x64 and without)\prefs\scripts

something else that I should try?
    Thank you very much.
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    I've answered most of these questions already in PM windows, but figured i'd reiterate.
    Also please bare with me at the moment as I work on the website. Should hopefully be not much longer before its back up.

@archieAndrews the UV error happens when you have a pipe that has overlapping edge loops usually caused by having too tight of curve.

@StormyW I AM THE CREATOR!!! MUAHAHAHA .. .. .. Sorry

@Mayalicious Yes, yes it works fine in 2016. Only version 2.12

@JW90 You have to set your script editor to python, not mel.

<3

LASTLY, if there is anyone out there that has some really cool screenshots of something they used zPipemaker on. That would be absolutely fantastic if I could use it for the new website.

Thanks.
  • Puzzledust
    Offline / Send Message
    Puzzledust polycounter lvl 4
    Hi Chris,

I really want to download the simple version to try it out but the link you have on the first page is only taking me to your portfolio and I cannot find a link. How do I download the latest version? Thanks for doing this by the way.

Update: Thanks Chris!
  • Yonderboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Yonderboy polycounter lvl 6
    anybody managed to get this working in 2015 on a mac? I keep getting the 'No module named zPipeMakerSimple # ' error. I've tried placing the script in all conceivable places and have got the python tab checked :(
  • a3D
    From what I see in the videos, it seems like you can build pipes with a "direct kinematic" approach
    I'm wondering if this scripts allows to retroactively change the course of the pipes via control vertices (or any other non-forward building method) while retaining all the other functions available
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    I took a look.. apparently when maya updated python in the 2015 version it broke the script on mac. Also, now for some reason maya doesn't make a maya.env file by default anymore. What the hell. Anyhow.. the new version 2.1.3 of zPipeMakerSimple is up.

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/script/zpipemaker-simple-maya-pipe-making-tool

new INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS! Please read those when you download the new version. You most likely will not be able to run the script in 2015 or 2016 without the new version as well.

SIMPLE install Instructions

HOW TO INSTALL ON WINDOWS ----

Move the script the documents/maya/scripts folder
    Copy and Paste this section of code to run. Make sure you set it to python.

import zPipeMakerSimple
    reload(zPipeMakerSimple)
    zPipeMakerSimple.gui()

HOW TO INSTALL ON MAC ----
    Move the script the Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/scripts folder
    Copy and Paste this section of the code to run. If it doesn't work. make sure the directory is correct. (Your setup could be slightly different)

execfile('/Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/scripts/zPipeMakerSimple.py')
    zPipeMaker()

zPipeMaker Advanced will be emailed out shortly.

Finally. @a3D
    I have an idea on how to make it so you can edit pipes without moving any other pipes up the chain. Eventually I will get the time to implement it. Definitely on the radar as I keep using the script myself.
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait .. no im dumb.. crap! I'll update later when i fix it AGAIN! derrmit!
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/script/zpipemaker-simple-maya-pipe-making-tool

Ok updated for real. New new install instructions. KEY is for mac to run right, you have to place it under the library folder under your name. Please read the instructions. Let me know if it still doesn't work.
  • Vojtisek
    Offline / Send Message
    Vojtisek polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for the update! Still using your script time to time and good to see it's not dead :)
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    it's not dead! I assure you I am not dead as well!
  • VictorB
    Offline / Send Message
    VictorB polycounter lvl 6
    Damn shame that Maya LT doesn't allow Python scripting
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    the script could be converted to mel. I however... am not going to do that. XD Python = so much more win! Also the config file logic would all have to be torn out. Be a huge headache. Hopefully autodesk opens that up in the LT version in the future. Seems like a realllly dumb thing to not include. People are still paying 250 bucks a year for it.. it makes sense to not have all of the advanced crap maya has, but the python bit is just dumb. Then again.. i have no idea what that would entail on their end of things.
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Aight.. well finally i've updated my site. I also updated the main post on this thread for anybody new to the post. You may easily download zPipemaker now and purchase the advanced version as well. 
    http://chriszuko.com/zpipemaker.html is the link to the new site page. 

If you see grammar errors, spelling errors, etc...   screw you .. no jk (: please tell me about it! 
    Still a few things to do, but for the most part it is functional. Also, here is a new pipe-gasm shot made with zPipemaker.

• Lando_Mange
    Offline / Send Message
    Lando_Mange polycounter lvl 9
    This is great stuff! Thanks for sharing :D
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Has anyone made anything cool with zPipemaker out there? I'd be super interested to see some of the cool stuff made with it! Also, the zPipemaker purchase link has been moved to Gumroad. The previous paypal link is now dead. The price has been upped to 12 dollars to offset the amount gumroad takes. All people who have purchased zPipemaker already, please check your email for the gumroad update for instructions on how to get into the gumroad system! Thanks all, much appreciated! WOULD BE AWESOME TO SEE SOME STUFF!!! <3
  • yorun3ko
    I really like your script and was considering buying the pro version on Gumroad but can't find it anywhere. Is it still available somewhere?
    Thanks and great job!
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    I try to keep the first page of this thread updated with the links and such. So for future reference, just go there and it has all you need.
    Here is the link https://gumroad.com/l/JvLRp#

Thanks, Glad you are enjoying it!
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    zPipeMaker is now updated to work with Maya 2020. Please lemme know if there are issues.
    Thanks! <3
  • Rami
    Hi 
    great update! Thank you 
    I go this error:

# Error: RuntimeError: file /Users/rami/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/scripts/zPipeMaker.py line 815: Object 'zPipeScroll' not found. 

I'm using Maya 2019,
    and I sent all steps I have done in your email 
    Can help?
    thanks 
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    The issue @Rami had was resolved via email. Was a setup error :)
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    zPipeMaker is now updated to work with Maya 2022. As always thanks for using the script and lemme know if you run into any issues.