Home Technical Talk

Maya zPipeMaker Script

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
chriszuko polycounter lvl 12

To download or buy click here!

Finally Got it all setup. Ended up just doing a buy it now button that links with mailchimp to auto-respond to buyers emails. The price is $10.00 for the advanced version and the simple version is free! Main reason for not going with creative crash is because creative-crash takes 45%and has a minimum selling price of $20.00. At that point it wouldn't even be worth the price increase for anybody. It would just be making you guys spend more money for no reason. Anyhow Enjoy all the videos and happy pipegasm! 

HOW TO INSTALL ----
Move the script to the documents/maya/scripts folder
Copy and Paste this section of code to run. Make sure you set it to python.
import zPipeMaker
reload(zPipeMaker)
zPipeMaker.gui()
If you are using the simple version of the script use.
import zPipeMakerSimple
reload(zPipeMakerSimple)
zPipeMakerSimple.gui()

Things in the works eventually.
1. Split pipe option.
2. Independent radius controls.
3. T-Intersections
4. Entire "rig-based" system with control curves instead of sliders.
5. Convert to Curve then back to bend deformers. (This one would just be terrifyingly powerful)

Thanks to everyone who downloads the basic version and purchases the advanced version. 

Replies

• chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome! much appreciated!
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Okedoke.. Here is the tutorial video on how to use the script Versions 1.5 and 1.7. This goes through how to setup the custom meshes and get the script to work with them properly. Enjoy! (:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_umOqA-ocs"]Maya zPipeMaker Script V1.7 Easy Custom Pipes - YouTube[/ame]
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    update looks awesome, hoping i get to do some environment work, play with this soon.
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! As always. Much appreciation. (:
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    really surprised, your poll didn't do better, i think it's worth the around $20. Since it is a lot of work and code i dont have to write, and a great tool.
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, I kinda expected what the polls say atm. I think there may be confusion as to the fact that the simple version without custom meshes is still going to be free. Probably should have written the question up differently. But, I am not taking it too much to heart. I appreciate that you think its worth that much. I am almost positive at this point that I will have the simple free version and the advanced 10 dollar custom mesh version.

Shouldn't be too bad I don't think.
    Thanks!! I anticipate the script being finished this weekend and up on creative crash.

Wootsicles!
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    ya kinda curious to see how people selling maya scripts, do, since i got a few ideas and scripts i made that could be worth somehtign
  • wailingmonkey
    finally....

digital 12-er donated yer direction, Chris! :)

thanks for sharing this time-saver, dood!
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    You are welcome! And thanks for the donation! Much appreciated!
  • Gheromo
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    How do I get my hands on the version with custom pipes? Do I have to donate certain amount or buy it somewhere?
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    You have to donate any amount using this link at the moment. I am working on the release version so that is why V1.7 is donation only. Once it is released It will most likely be up on creative crash. Much appreciated.
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Just released another donation update zPipeMakerV1.8.
    I am so close to Version 2.0 I can taste it! Just a couple more additions/fixes and it will be ready to go!
    SO here is the update notes for V1.8

1. Converted Twist, Curve Optimization, Curve Update, Length, and Scale all over to expression based logic
    2. Removed Auto Update as it is not needed anymore because the script just does the updating smoothly now.
    3. Fixed a few bugs in maya 2014
    4. Fixed upAxis so that you can now use the script in Y and Z up axis. (if you are making a custom mesh in Z, then model up the z Axis etc.)
    5. Fixed objects not being replaced correctly on custom meshes below the origin.
    6. Added auto optimization attributes to each bend pipe, to change them turn the checkbox either on or off for the control pipe and hit optimize all pipes.

The coolest one by far is the first one. Since all of the logic is pretty much expression based, you don't need to wait for the script to update anything when editing the sliders. This also sets it up for the future to have nurbs controllers so that you won't even need to use the sliders.
    Here is a gif showing everything just... working (: No seams.. nice and smooth!

1_8_02.gif

Thanks again to anyone who donates and to anyone who gives feedback! Very much appreciated!
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    nice update, will be trying this out tonight.
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I am interested to hear how it runs for other people in comparison to the old script.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    When 2 comes out, I'll be sure to buy! This has come such a long way in such a short time. Thanks for all your hard work!
  • Athaedos
    Offline / Send Message
    Athaedos polycounter lvl 8
    Hey, so in the donation versions... I'm modeling in meters and this really messes with the script. In 1.7 and 1.8 the default values become huge and a little weird to adjust since you have to scale it down so far. But in 1.8 it just doesn't work to use the script at all in meters because each new pipe is placed way far out from the previous one. I might just use it in a new scene in centimeters but it'd be nice to work with in my game modeling scenes directly. Or am I doing something wrong? Either way though, thanks for the script :)
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    ya lots of maya scripts have problems with meters, possible to work around but requires a some extra work on the part of the script writer.
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback Athaedos. I have found the issue and will be correcting it shortly. old edit: I can give you a quick hack to the script, I will send you a private message shortly.

edit: Actually.. the problem is bigger than I thought. My hack breaks everything else. I am working on the fix on the new update, but it will be awhile. Thanks for bringing this issue to light! (:

As for the new update! What I am working on right now is testing.. testing.. testing.. and more testing.
    SOO MANNY FREAKIN PIPES :poly142:

@Joopson: Much appreciated!
    @Passerby thanks for replying to this.. seems like polycount didn't send me an email notification of the reply or I missed it.
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    And.. V2.0 is done. I am currently wrapping up the documentation now. The contributors should have received an email and it will be up on creative crash ASAP. Lots of awesome new stuff has been added to speed up workflow and alot of bugs have been fixed! Full details are coming soon. I just figured I'd post an update as to the current status.
    Thanks again for all the support everyone!
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    If I donate now before its up on creative crash will i be sent the 2.0 update ?
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, if you donate now you get redirected to the download page and usually within the first couple of hours you receive an email of the download link. just in case you missed the download page.
    Thanks Much appreciated! I am aiming to get it all up on creative crash by the end of tomorrow. Maybe earlier.
  • Inkalicious
    Hey Chris. I donated and downloaded the latest version of your script. But when I go to make a pipe with more than three segments, there is a bug that reorients the next section and then it stops working all together. 0ly7.jpg
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Crudskis.. Ok I gave you an email and we shall hash this out. Hopefully we can nail down the issue.
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Just an FYI for troubleshooting if the script works or not. It is good to check to outliner to make sure that there isn't any nastiness that could interfere with the pipe script. Particularly, empty group nodes that have the names zBendPipe zmBendPipe or zmCBendPipe. Thanks! Glad we could figure it out.
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally Got it all setup. Ended up just doing a buy it now button that links with mailchimp to auto-respond to buyers emails. The price is $10.00 for the advanced version and the simple version is free! Main reason for not going with creative crash is because creative-crash takes 45% and has a minimum selling price of $20.00. At that point it wouldn't even be worth the price increase for anybody. It would just be making you guys spend more money for no reason. Anyhow Enjoy all the videos and happy pipegasm! :poly142:
    banner01_Simple.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9kyQCIyOV8"]zPipeMaker SimpleV2.0 Maya Pipe Making Tool. - YouTube[/ame]

banner01_Advanced3.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4Gjpz40W34"]zPipeMaker AdvancedV2.0 Maya Pipe Making Tool Custom Meshes - YouTube[/ame]

zPipeMakerV2.0 Features: Simple

- Make a pipe segment and snap a new one to the end of the first one.
    - Edit any pipe's control in the chain of pipes.
    - Adjustable Real-Time Controls for (Subdivision Axis, Sub Height, Width, Curve length,Curve Scale, Curve Amount, and Rotation).
    - Automatic Minimal Twist to account for any rotation for smooth edge-flow and perfect uncut pipes.
    - Automatic Optimization for the whole pipe or single pipe segments based off of a threshold, curve amount, and scale.
    - Quick Settings to speed up the creation of pipes.
    - Customizable Quick Settings Values
    - Automatic Merging of verts, deleting caps, and final nice and clean UVs for the finished pipe.
    - Remember Rotation value when making new pipes
    - Duplicate Pipe Chains
    - Multi Connect Control and Add

zPipeMakerV2.0 Features: Advanced

- Swap out zPipes for Custom Meshes
    - Update custom pipes without having to re-replace them.
    - Custom Mesh List Editor
    - Select applied custom meshes
    - Auto Optimize Custom meshes based off of polySplitRings in their history

Purchase zPipeMaker Advanced V2.0 here (Future Updates are Included)

Thanks to everyone who downloads the simple version and purchases the advanced version. I appreciate it more than anything and I am very glad to be able to contribute to the 3D community! If you donated more than $10.00 and you would like a refund of the extra amount just let me know and I would be more than happy to issue it.

Lastly.. does anyone know how to close a poll?
    I'm all piped out now.. I'm going to bed.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    congrats mate hope your sales do well
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Looking forward to trying out the new features in 2.0 Advanced. Great job.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    they download link provided in the email, are they temporary or will the keep working long term. Just wounder incase i lose the file or want it on other comptuers
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    @ passerby: Thanks! And the download link is permanent for the time being. If it does end up changing, a new email will be sent out as soon as it changes.

@ Beefaroni: (: Many thanks! I hope you find them useful!

Does anybody know how to close a poll? Or is my poll just kinda stuck on permanently?
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    After I finished the purchase, it went to a 404 on your site. Is that normal? And how quickly, usually, is the email sent out after?
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Just sent you an email joopson. Thanks for reporting that issue. Will fix it right away.

The email sends out anytime within an hour after the purchase. You should be redirected to a download link page so you don't have to wait for the email which is the part that seems to be broken.

Thanks! Much Appreciated!
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    All fixed. Everything should be functioning at 100% now.
  • East
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Purchased. This will be very handy for the stuff I'm working on right now and $10.00 is the perfect price to jump right in and hit that PayPal button without even thinking twice about it.

Thanks for a great affordable tool!
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Much appreciated!! Glad you find it useful!

Just an FYI to anyone interested. There are 2 bugs in the release version that have been discovered.

1. When working in small scales, the custom pipes replaced are super thin. You can get around it for now by just increasing the width to be ginormous, but I am working on a fix that allows you to customize the scale of the new pipes you generate without having to scale the group node every time.

2. The width was converted back to int values by accident which makes it tough to get the exact value you want. As soon as I get a fix in I'll send an email out to anyone who has purchased the script.

Thanks for your patience if these bugs affect you.
  • airdrummer
    Offline / Send Message
    airdrummer polycounter lvl 7
    Currently using simple...

When I finish my pipe, UV's look like this:

zpipe_UVs.jpg

known issue?

Love the script.
  • airdrummer
    Offline / Send Message
    airdrummer polycounter lvl 7
    Script editor also says it's failing to merge vertices. Maybe this is the issue. If I change my merge distance it has no affect.
  • Aerashi
    Offline / Send Message
    Aerashi polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Chris,

Nice work, I've bought the advanced version and am having some fun with it :) Looking forward to the update you mention about scale though as I work in centimetres as my units and the pipes are super tiny in environment scenes.

Keep up the great work! (Thanks for the dupe along curve script too, super useful).
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Oy for some reason I didn't see these posts. I kinda took a week off from pipes! Im back at it and the cave now simultaneously. I am currently working on getting a time frame for a super-secret, ultra-cool version of the script. It may or may not rhyme with "Plea-Dea-Es Dax":). Then GTA V will come out and ... well... sorry guys. :poly122:

The scale has been fixed for both the advanced and simple version.

BIG NOTE ON CUSTOM MESHES WITH THE NEW STARTER PIPE SCALE.
    Under settings you now see.
    2_1_1.PNG
    Model your custom pipes to be relative to the same size as your starter pipes. It is now based off of the radius being 1 instead of 20. So if you make a pipe and you want the replaced pipe to be the same width as your custom pipe set the radius to 1. Any old pipes can be fixed by duplicating them with the new starter pipe values. You may see your older pipes become either super huge or super small. That is ok just make sure to set the radius to 1 and go from there.

Update Details.

V2.1.1
    1. Fixed a minor bug where start pipe sub axis was being reset to default on script load.

V2.1
    1. Fixed Major scale issues with the script and focused it on actual values that pertain to mayas original grid settings. Now the original pipe is smaller and easier to change.
    2. Changed width to radius
    3. Added Settings for starter pipe scale, sub axis, sub height, and width. (Your custom mesh should be modeled based off of this starter pipe.)
    4. Completely rewrote the config code to be adaptive for newer versions of the script. Now you shouldn't have to delete the config for every new version.
    5. Fixed Width being an int instead of a float.

As for the earlier posts.
    @AirDrummer: That is very odd. could you pm me please with updates as to if you already fixed this problem? I can't remember if we did or not.

@Aerashi. This update should do the trick. Also glad you like my dup script as well.

Thanks for the support everyone and I was happy to see the amount of people who bought the advanced version. Very awesome! Keeps me motivated to do more things!
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    So I am going to be exploring alot of other options and routes for the script. While I am doing so this would be the perfect time to hit me with feature requests. so far I have a few requests written down.

-front and back twist controls.
    -Flare deformer integration,
    -different widths per pipe piece(This would pair up with the flare)
    -automatic cap placement,
    -intersection pieces.

Annnd thats all I have. If I forgot something that you already said please yell at me. (:
    Thanks!
  • Dexyn
    Payed the money for it, but disappointing that I don't even know where the download for the advanced script is, which is a shame.

Really looking forward to using this script and stop sweating about pipes, wires and maybe even dem Trees that can be such a pain.
  • prtcle
    I just bought it . . . trying to get it to work on Maya 2013 for mac. No luck so far.

Here's the error maya throws when I try to run the installation scripts:

# Error: line 1: ImportError: file <maya console> line 1: No module named zPipeMaker #

Any thoughts?
    Thanks.
  • prtcle
    resolved my error with info on this site
    http://kirijiri-howto.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/import-script.html

I had to modify the python directory on OSX to get make sure maya could find the script
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    I just got the emails for these last 2 posts. For some reason email alerts on PC are 2 days late? anyhow, I'm glad you figured out the issue prtcle. If you need a more urgent response you can always hit me up via email. Chriszuko@gmail.com

Dexyn, did you ever get the script? If not please send me an email to that address above.
  • Thousand
    Offline / Send Message
    Thousand polycounter lvl 9
    Great script, purchased!

thanks for your hard work, dude!!!
  • SaboR1996
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    Totally need this for max.
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for all of your support! I'd like to announce today that I've had so far over 3500 zPipeMaker simple downloads and 104 purchases of zPipeMaker advanced. I couldn't be happier with those numbers. Thanks again everyone! I am still exploring other routes and options for what to do next and figure that I'll be putting those into action sometime towards the end of this year. Lots going on right now! Lots of ideas not enough time!
  • kingsnbucs1987
    Hey Chris,

I recently found out about your script and love what I saw from the video, I tried to use the free version before I buy the advanced version, but I'm running into a problem running it. I followed the directions from the file and the original post, but I keep running into this error,

# Error: ImportError: No module named zPipeMaker #

I have the script in the right folder, but it's not reading it. I have scripts that are .pyc format and they work, but for some reason it's not reading .py.
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    I've had 2 other reports of this issue. I cannot for the life of me figure out why this is happening? Anyone else have any clue why it would read the pyc in the folder but not the .py?
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahhhhh ..... the issue is because you were using.
    import zPipeMaker
    reload(zPipeMaker)
    zPipeMaker.gui()

The Simple Version of the script uses the command.
    import zPipeMakerSimple
    reload(zPipeMakerSimple)
    zPipeMakerSimple.gui()

It is located in the instructions included with the download, but I'll go ahead and put it on the front page of this thread as well.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    @chris the reload should not be needed for users, since they are not editing the code, it should be fine to just let python grab what is already in memory from first import to run.

reload() when not needed just adds to startup time of the script.