Home Dota 2

Dota 2 workshop unnoficial monthly competition - APRIL

Replies

• Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    @mihalceanu:

Great job on the clubs, the last one is looking beastly!

I feel it would read better if you make the texture a bit more darker, but it's fantastic already.

Finished the lowpoly for all the parts, gonna make the final tweaks on the weapon and start the sculpting.

8660566141_fd1f1dbefa_c.jpg
    8661666954_1cfa3e1b0a_c.jpg
    I'm thinking calling it [something] of the Crypt Maiden. Treasures? Vestments? Garments?
  • Zaphk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    I've been meaning to start making items for DOTA 2 and this looks like as good an excuse as any to jump in. I'm whittling away at some concepts for a Phantom Assassin weapon as we speak so I'll hopefully have something to show soon!

There's some really inspiring stuff in this thread, keep it coming!
  • Taz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taz
    That's one awesome looking cape! :)
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Cool ass cape Zaphk! xD
  • Uliss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice cape, Zaphk.
    Congrats with finishing.
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    +1 on the cape ZaphK

Rubuts : tnx man , I will give it a try

3rd club on the way , here is the sketch :_)
    [IMG][/img]30nf6hi.jpg
  • Mantra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx for the tips, the gradient really made it a lot better. Im thinking about the eye thing. Ill try to make the iris bigger, so that the wite portion doesnt pop out so much, or ill just change it to shut eyes, tho I found its facial expression with the open eyes quite amusing.

SDK-LOD0_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Oh and you got some pretty looking maces there Mihaelceanu. I just envy your sharp textures, I could hardly fit a log and a half hedgehog on that damn tiny texturespace.
  • Mantra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried some things with the eyes, added lids and changed white to pink to get a bloodshot eye. Looks a lot less cartoony now, and its not that visible in the game.

Eye-update_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Well I Finished my PA weapon, and uploaded it on the workshop, click the picture for the workshop link!

Hope you guys like it!

OXosZS6.jpg
  • tibbi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mantra wrote: »
    Tried some things with the eyes, added lids and changed white to pink to get a bloodshot eye. Looks a lot less cartoony now, and its not that visible in the game.

You might try some kind of glowing gems for the eyes.

To me the pig looks over saturated. Too red. Maybe a cooler brown color for the hide. Some sun bleached light brown or blond tones in the longer hair could give it more depth and visual interest.
  • str8g8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    str8g8 polycounter lvl 12
    oops, wrong thread
  • Uliss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mantra wrote: »

I think you need to split some values on that skin. Have u already AO applyed?
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    @Rubus
    I'm not quite sure you'd want to go for the "Crypt Maiden" angle. It kinda depends on what you're gonna wind up doing with what you've got, but "Crypt Maiden" sounds almost Death Prophet-ish. Assassins don't really spend much time in crypts, usually. They send their victims there, but that's usually where the association ends. Maybe something like "Vestments of Maiden's Woe" or "Reaper's Joy" or something... Of course, there's always the possibility that the set could wind up being undead-themed in which case, disregard what I've said entirely.

. . .

Always wanted to try competing in one of these. Gonna see what I can do with two days. Should be a nice warm-up before I start something else.

LuckyStrikeProgress0.jpg

A quick sculpt. Meant to be an O.Magi weapon. 'Don't know if I can manage LoD1, but I guess that's why they call it a "challenge".

The idea is that it's the Goddess of Luck's crude holy relic composed almost entirely of good luck objects. I call it the "Lucky Strike".

Question/concern: is it possible to make good-looking mirrored wear/scratches, or should I just leave that alone?
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a few concepts for a Phantom Assassin weapon, any thoughts and feedback are very welcome!

I'm leaning towards the third design but it's pretty close between all of them. The second design is probably a bit too noisy for something that will be so small in game but I like it all the same.

This is the first time I've done anything like this so it's all very exciting!
    3hFPsmx.jpg?1
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    DashXero wrote: »
    @Rubus
    I'm not quite sure you'd want to go for the "Crypt Maiden" angle. It kinda depends on what you're gonna wind up doing with what you've got, but "Crypt Maiden" sounds almost Death Prophet-ish. Assassins don't really spend much time in crypts, usually. They send their victims there, but that's usually where the association ends. Maybe something like "Vestments of Maiden's Woe" or "Reaper's Joy" or something... Of course, there's always the possibility that the set could wind up being undead-themed in which case, disregard what I've said entirely.

. . .

Always wanted to try competing in one of these. Gonna see what I can do with two days. Should be a nice warm-up before I start something else.

*snip*

A quick sculpt. Meant to be an O.Magi weapon. 'Don't know if I can manage LoD1, but I guess that's why they call it a "challenge".

The idea is that it's the Goddess of Luck's crude holy relic composed almost entirely of good luck objects. I call it the "Lucky Strike".

Question/concern: is it possible to make good-looking mirrored wear/scratches, or should I just leave that alone?

I went for that name because my first inspiration was a funeral headdress Lady Madeline used in the "Fall of the House of Usher" Classic Illustrated's graphic novel.

But yeah, I agree it doesn't fit quite well for PA, and the set ended up looking much more armor like than anything else.

I think something like Vestments of the Maiden's Woe is a good way to go, it fits the lore I plan for her. I'll rethink that in that direction, thanks!

About your club, I like the idea and the sculpt is really well executed, but it's missing a place to put a fire source, which I think may hurt the final result.
  • Robbiek1000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (Cross Post)

Finished my highly controversial Phantom Assassin set.

Veil_of_the_Shadow_Assassin_Marketing_Image_zps2f2dced0.png

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=140213619

I would very much appreciate the upvotes if you like it.

Thanks!
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    More progress on carnival assassin :)
    ief9d4.jpg
    Cloak will have fancy cut after retopo :)
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the club :)
    403E716E41EE6941D2E0296F7A7F9ED6B344D013
    6A094D81691ED1C5ED2207C3D1A8BCB27C98094D
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rubus

Thanks! I think I may have found a way around the flame source thing...

@Konras
    I like what you've done with the character. Sadly, I don't have anything more constructive to say than that, at the moment...

@mihalceanu
    It's a very nice club! I can't help but think it feels a little flat, though...

LuckyStrikeProgress1.jpg

I don't understand for the life of me what's causing this accursed seam! All my maps seem to be in order (with 7-10 pixels of edge padding)... My mirrored elements are moved one over on the U axis so that they don't overlap... I don't get it...
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @DashXero Maybe you have changed your low model after baking? Can you show us your model used for baking and your final low_poly version?
    - Maybe you baked with only one half and than after bake mirrored it and weld vertices? - Or baked with whole model and than removed one half, mirror with no weld at the end?
    Those things could occur later with seam. Its important to have same shading on low_bake and low_exported meshes. If you have hard edge when you had smooth shading then you will get mirror seam.
    Please let us know if you will get rid of a problem.
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Konras
    THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH! What had happened was that when I baked in Topogun, I only used half of the model. For one reason or another there was a slight gradient forming along the border edges. To fix that, I baked the mirrored model (I'm just glad I saved out a version of it before I resized it for rigging).

The seam's appearance has been greatly reduced.

LuckyStrikeProgress2.jpg

Now, I guess the only thing remaining is to make a preview image for this thing and ship it.
  • Robbiek1000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras wrote: »
    More progress on carnival assassin :)
    ief9d4.jpg
    Cloak will have fancy cut after retopo :)

She's looking pretty damn cool.
    Enjoy joy the skinning process with her....its a friggin' nightmare! The cape most of all. haha
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My first submission to the this month. Hopefully one more later.

637x358.resizedimage
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LuckyStrikeThumb.jpg

Done and done... That was fun.
  • tibbi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool design. Love the textures.
  • Prophet9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    Banded Haunch

It's a meal and a mace! A culinary club to strike fear and indigestion in your enemies!
    Take one leg from a random delicious animal, wrap with bands of iron, add spice and then savour the flavour of serving your enemies their just desserts.
    The Banded Haunch is a staple ingredient of an Ogre Magi's power!

og2B6Zi.jpg

Hello all!
    This is my first workshop submission and DOTA 2 item of any sort. It took a couple of days to get the whole workflow figured out, but things are going along fine now.

Here is a preview shot:
    EIBkDAj.jpg
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I spent today working on the high poly sculpt of my PA weapon (or half of it). I'm happy with how it came out but I just can't seem to figure out how to bake normal maps to my low poly without them looking hideous. Looks like I may have to come back to this one when it isn't 6am.

I'll get there eventually, I'm sure. :whyme:

TW60BJ5.png
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 : looks very nice ,but you could add some burn area at the top where the fire effects starts.
  • Uliss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paskie wrote: »
    My first submission to the this month. Hopefully one more later.

637x358.resizedimage

Congrats with finishing! )

It's time for me to make a PA weapon too. Almost everyone made it this month ))
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx! Looking forward to seeing your weapon!
  • Prophet9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu wrote: »
    Prophet9 : looks very nice ,but you could add some burn area at the top where the fire effects starts.

Thanks! Yes, I am considering adding some charred areas around the edge at the top, where the flame is.
    I agree, a charred area makes sense, the trick will be not making it a darkened mess. :)

Cheers!
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 : you could just add a dark to light gradient in the texture , to keep it clean

I just made another sketch ; this one for some phantom assasin blade that I will start working on it later today .

cheers

[IMG][/img]2cor9mh.jpg

edit :
    Had to scrap some blades due to getting to bussy in the preview screen :)

D7297FE9EE29B886BFE85BF9AC1FC0F1A99A6CA4
    2F8B251713A80D05BDF4DE9221050F154D5A0099
    1EA3008438FE97CD0B0621D7F8E2DD1A3D4EDCE3
    27254C51B192918B34A85D0A0EDE882F24C94DB1
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    @DashXero:

It ended up looking pretty good with the flame, very nice job.

It's looking fine already, but I feel it could use a bit more of color variety, perhaps some small red, grey or ivory details would make all the baked details more evident ;)

@Paskie:

The shoulder flap over her right breast is clipping through the torso, may check that.

And of course, nice weapon :)

Small update on the helmet of my PA set.

Those braids took me ages to do, and I'm afraid they are too small and may turn out to look noisy ingame, hope I'm wrong.

I still have to finish the details on the cheek guards and some other small things here and there, but it won't change much.

8673840232_9d232a8b5b.jpg
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's looking really nice, Rubus. Absolutely love the concept. I fear you may be right about the braids though, you may want to think about something with a bit more thickness to it.
  • RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah Rubius, I'd suggest going with something less noisy. The original UV's for the default helmet have a really small texture space for the ponytail. You my have to sacrifice the quality of the helmet texture to keep the braid texture to translate well.
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just about finished with my weapon. Getting the detail from my high poly into the game was far, far more difficult than it should have been. I have lots to learn it seems but I'm happy with this for a first attempt. :)

I'll submit it soon once I've had a chance to make up a preview image for it but I'd love to hear your thoughts in the meantime!

Xt0emGM.png
  • Uliss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a wip of PA weapon. After trying many shapes in top to bottom view, I decided to make something like a sword. I think about making retopology today and make some initial textures tomorrow.
    nhYlUf4.jpg
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston : looks good , but you could try to darken the part that isnt the "cutting edge" to give it some contrast.
    Uliss : looks verry promising
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    my DS set is almost done i swear.

Uliss - that looks amazing.
  • Prophet9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So... I think there may be enough time to do another weapon. This time for the Phantom Assassin...

Here is an idea I was playing around with (and testing various colour combos :))

MZlhoY7.jpg

I suspect some of that battle damage will be toned down for the final model/texture, haha.

Base model complete @ 686 triangles for LoD0.

EVRpTbC.jpg
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After doing a ton of experiments with mask1 and mask2 I've made some adjustments and repainted the texture entirely. It's subtle, especially in this picture, but it looks so much better in game now that I've figured out how to use metalness correctly. I think the edge of the blade reads better now.

1XC2vVZ.png
  • Prophet9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston - Definitely better along the edge! Looks good.

Any pearls of wisdom from your Mask1, Mask2 adventures?
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was mostly just experimenting to get a feel for the shaders more than anything else. I just made a bunch of mask1 and mask2 files with solid values in the channels and just mixed and matched them to see how they worked together in game.

I didn't really learn anything that I would be able to explain but I really recommend doing it for yourself, I feel like I've got a much better grasp of the shaders just by playing around with them for an afternoon.
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Medusa, Sky wrath mage and Tusk are now on the Workshop page. Maybe they can be next months challenge?
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :poly122:
    PoPcorn wrote: »
    Medusa, Sky wrath mage and Tusk are now on the Workshop page. Maybe they can be next months challenge?

!!
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooh! I've had a few ideas for medusa and tusk for awhile, looks like I've got my next project!
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dsWIP07.jpg

about done with this. Open to crits on colors and whatnot - gonna put the promo images together tomorrow and have it submitted in time for the weekend. :D
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Reveren I think you rework the colors. I personally think the black and the orangey inscriptions on the items are too dominant, perhaps try to experiement with some other colors. Other than that, the set is awesome! :D
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the shapes you've used, but I feel like the little orange details are so small that they wont really be visible in game. You might want to try some bigger details or solid colours instead.

Great work though!