Home Dota 2

Dota 2 workshop unnoficial monthly competition - APRIL

Replies

• bozza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No way would i get a whole set done! Im going to start with something like this though, if you cant make out the messy concept its basically a ribcage around a leather bracer. I have some other idea's for matching pieces but will see how this turns out first.

yxusvje.png

Tiny update: Just blocked it out a bit, other arms looking a bit empty now though =\

EgTeFGp.png
  • BluPanda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *cross post from WIP thread

got new helmet in game, playing around with colors, haven't submitted the new version yet, better to let it set for a night or 2. I toned down the orange just a touch on the other pieces as well.

MM4rc.jpg

De2Ou.jpg
  • APesquera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    APesquera triangle
    8n09MY7.png

3D is going to be made by Sparkwire.
    Besides the concept I'll do the textures.

We didn't really mean to take part in this monthly competition, I actually started working on the concept without knowing.

EDIT: Weapon may change due to feedback.
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    Working on a weapon and perhaps a belt(daggers) for PA this month. Might change the weapon to be more asymmetrical as that seems to be a popular theme.

X3IJske.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    awesome guys. we are getting a lot of new items starting =] this month started really well =]

@andy thank man, im adding the images to the first post
  • Primrose~
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Primrose~ triangle
    APesquera wrote: »
    8n09MY7.png

3D is going to be made by Sparkwire.
    Besides the concept I'll do the textures.

We didn't really mean to take part in this monthly competition, I actually started working on the concept without knowing.

EDIT: Weapon may change due to feedback.

Lovin' the concepts there, though I'm not sure about completely obscuring the face, the dota team generally isn't a fan of doing stuff like that, at least from what I remember.
  • APesquera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    APesquera triangle
    @Primrose: I'll just say:

Cosmetic_icon_Helmet_of_Omexe.png

There are a couple more items like this I think.
    (even though I love the set I still find it extremely ridiculous that his dumbo ears come out of the helmet like that)
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Primrose~ wrote: »
    Lovin' the concepts there, though I'm not sure about completely obscuring the face, the dota team generally isn't a fan of doing stuff like that, at least from what I remember.

Yeah Ive heard the same thing.

Looks good though! :D
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuck yeah!!! SFM model viewer working with dota shader (crossposting this)

no more black on the metalness
    2u1vy

i will add it to the first post, it an huge leap to test the materials
  • Plant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A PA concept me and my partner had sitting on the side, don't really want to partake in "a contest" or rush but figured I would post it here as PA is one of the heroes.

The weapon is still a WIP, we had a idea of making 3 different versions of the weapon, one for each level of Coup De Grace, as its the skill that symbolizes the hero and when she skills up we want the set to show it. Functionality wise it will work just like Tiny skilling grow and swapping out the weapon, but not sure where Valve stands on having to use more resources.

Iwqu2Y0.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Plant wrote: »
    A PA concept me and my partner had sitting on the side, don't really want to partake in "a contest" or rush but figured I would post it here as PA is one of the heroes.

The weapon is still a WIP, we had a idea of making 3 different versions of the weapon, one for each level of Coup De Grace, as its the skill that symbolizes the hero and when she skills up we want the set to show it. Functionality wise it will work just like Tiny skilling grow and swapping out the weapon, but not sure where Valve stands on having to use more resources.

Iwqu2Y0.jpg

looking really nice Plant, and welcome here =]
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    Hey plant. I love the promo painting, but that helmet is awfully close to the shredder :) dunno if that's what you were going for or not.

Shredder.jpg
  • Plant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK wrote: »
    Hey plant. I love the promo painting, but that helmet is awfully close to the shredder :) dunno if that's what you were going for or not.

Shredder.jpg

Not sure if I would agree on Awfully Close, but similarities / covered areas sure are similar (that helmet is 50% mouth armor, ours is a veil of cloth).

We actually based it off the Wicked Men (Mordor Humans) heads from Lord of the Rings (We liked the cloth + metal look they had and came up with a fitting one for PA)!
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Plant - alright - i see the Easterling influence now. I think the major disconnect for me is in the shape of the helmet as it moves down toward the shoulders - the Easterlings sit a little higher and have more of a middle-eastern influence, but i get more of a samurai japanese feeling from the silhouette of yours. Hence the shredder. it may just be me though :P
  • Zaphk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
    Woow Lots of great stuff here =D

Thank you, Andyk125!
    Yeah, the belt is what's bugging me the most =/ I'll try something else. :)

Update:
    CJSbJi1.jpg?1
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk - that cloth is looking gorgeous! you need to do time-lapses.
  • RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Zaphk - Awesome look on the cloth and hair! To be honest that's where I struggle the most, the sculpting phase, specifically with my hair sculpt. But just by looking at how your sculpt is done has helped me on figuring it out. Ditto on the Time Lapses.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk wrote: »
    Woow Lots of great stuff here =D

Thank you, Andyk125!
    Yeah, the belt is what's bugging me the most =/ I'll try something else. :)

Update:
    CJSbJi1.jpg?1

awesome!!!
  • BluPanda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZVfis.jpg

color updates all around, and got the helmet all up in there.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BluPanda wrote: »
    ZVfis.jpg

color updates all around, and got the helmet all up in there.

awesome work and presentation

added to the first post =]
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you're all making me look slow >:C

i've got the head, shoulders, back and arms all within LOD0 tri limits. I'm hoping that getting down to lod1 won't be too terribly hard from there. we'll see. not worth a screenshot though.

haven't gotten to the belt yet - i'm also unwrapping and setting up smoothing groups for nurms sub-divisions to use bobo's awesome "blank" making technique. Hopefully i'll be sculpting tomorrow night...i'm so tired. i have to get up for work in a couple of hours. must sleep.
  • Mantra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all! Totally new to polycount but I already had some entries on the workshop. I decided to finally join polycount for some friendly competition and feedback. I'll do a set for Ogre Magi, first sketches coming soon.

I also made a reference chart for myself, and it seems there is none up here yet, so here you go lads!

Ref.jpg

Uhh, seems huge, hope it fits. I dont usually post pics on forums...

And last but not least, I already made an Ogre Magi set lately, uploaded it in April too, but i think it wouldn't be in the spirit of the game to compete with it. Still check it out, the video was made vith the SFM, which is totally great!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136243461

Enjoy!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mantra wrote: »
    Hi all! Totally new to polycount but I already had some entries on the workshop. I decided to finally join polycount for some friendly competition and feedback. I'll do a set for Ogre Magi, first sketches coming soon.

I also made a reference chart for myself, and it seems there is none up here yet, so here you go lads!

Ref.jpg

Uhh, seems huge, hope it fits. I dont usually post pics on forums...

And last but not least, I already made an Ogre Magi set lately, uploaded it in April too, but i think it wouldn't be in the spirit of the game to compete with it. Still check it out, the video was made vith the SFM, which is totally great!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136243461

Enjoy!

Hey Mantra

can you change the background color to something more muted like a desaturated gray? makes easier to people work with and i can add it to the first post =]]

btw, the set is really nice, but one of the objectives of this competition is help people that want to start on the workshop, that is why we ask for some work in progress posts, could you post some?

----
    hahaha i just saw the video, amazing! =]
  • Mantra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, ill compete wit two sets if you say its ok, just need to make a WIP for the Boom Boom Doom set. And here is the gray ref image.

Ref_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My concept for the april contest. Just going for one or two items this time.
    Extra points for those who spot the reference :)

4UecLoH.jpg
  • Robbiek1000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMG, you guys are all far to quick....

Here's my crappy sketch of an idea that i had. When I think assassin's, and especially assassin's of the phantom variety, I think if dark alleys and places concealed in shadow. This is my idea of what I think a phantom assassin would look like. Let me know what you think. The fur on the hood to much? Set to boring? Anything, let me know.

assassin_zps0f28b2c2.jpg
  • RoqueDemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon polycounter lvl 6
    Does anyone have a reference chart for Dark Seer? I'm too lazy to make my own :P
  • Uff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uff
    RoqueDemon, no problem.
    dota2_dark_seer_charts.jpg
    dota2_ogre_magi_charts.jpg
    dota2_phantom_assassin_charts.jpg
  • Mantra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sooo, done with the first sketches. I was going for a lonely forest scavenger look. Im really proud of the dumb expression on the pigs face, hope I can transfer it well to 3D. The colors are WIP, and the possum might have to go if I need to make cuts to keep the polycount.

1253091288Ref-forest-ogre_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg
  • RoqueDemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon polycounter lvl 6
    Uff wrote: »
    RoqueDemon, no problem.
    dota2_dark_seer_charts.jpg
    dota2_ogre_magi_charts.jpg
    dota2_phantom_assassin_charts.jpg

THANK YOU! Hopefully those images can be added to the first post.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ mantra - i ran across your other OM set last night - I love the "totally not flammable cape of dry leaves" name. I lol'd. Great video, too. I need to open SFM one of these days. Diggin your concept, too - but i think the tusk bracer gets lost in the mix. I think i'd like to see more roadkill :)
  • Kerroh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm just curious because I'm still very new to 3D modeling.. and very new to this site as well. But when people make items for the characters, do they use programs like Maya and just save the project with the textures and all? Is there a format it must be converted to when finished?
    And do they have to be relative to the size of the character?
    Is there anything needed or do you just open up a blank document?
    I've just always wondered this because I am so curious to know how people add clothing onto a model. Sorry for asking so much ): If theres an FAQ to these kinds of things I'd love to check it out.
  • Zaphk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you, guys! =]
    ReverendK and RossC: When I tried to record forward history again, zbrush crashed and I lost undo history T__T
    Sorry for the bad quality, but I hope it's helpful.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMpkOG6RbBQ"]Dota 2 workshop - PA cape time-lapse - YouTube[/ame]
  • FluffehKittens
    Hey everyone, I've been lurking here for a few months, fairly new to 3D modeling. Hopefully I will be able to upload my first item this time! :D

Anyway, I have a tiny question--have I done something wrong with the masks in the PA weapon I am currently working on? I previewed it earlier today and it doesn't appear to have any real shading applied to it.

VuQJKPt.jpg

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Sorry if it's a dumb question!
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am stealing your cloth technique. it's mine now.
  • RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Kerroh wrote: »
    I'm just curious because I'm still very new to 3D modeling.. and very new to this site as well. But when people make items for the characters, do they use programs like Maya and just save the project with the textures and all? Is there a format it must be converted to when finished?
    And do they have to be relative to the size of the character?
    Is there anything needed or do you just open up a blank document?
    I've just always wondered this because I am so curious to know how people add clothing onto a model. Sorry for asking so much ): If theres an FAQ to these kinds of things I'd love to check it out.

I'll try and answer some of these, even though I'm fairly new myself.

1.) Valve has a built in compiler within DotA 2 that you use to import and test/publish your model ingame. This compiler also handles uploading to the Steam Workshop. The compiler automatically sets up and handles your files. For example, if you have a model that goes over the polygon budget, the compiler will refuse the model or if you have a texture that's bigger than the budget size it'll resize it for you.

The compiler just needs the model and texture files.

-For the model, you can use FBX or SMD file formats. All objects can use two models, the world game model (low poly) and then the detailed portrait model file. (high poly). The high poly is actually optional, but highly recommended if the object is in the portrait view or you want a promotional model for your item.

So:

MODEL: Low Poly Model/ High Poly Model

The Textures are pretty straight forward, but a bit tricky due to DotA 2's shader system. The compiler just needs .tga files but the way Valve handles ingame shaders is via additional texture files that hold shader information within its RGB and Alpha layers.

More info on how to set up the mask textures:
    http://media.steampowered.com/apps/dota2/workshop/Dota2ShaderMaskGuide.pdf

So:

TEXTURE:
    -Main Texture
    -Normal Map
    -Shader Mask Texture 1
    -Shader Mask Texture 2:

As for your other questions, Valve has all the models/polygon budgets/technical requirements for every hero so far that can have custom items here:

http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements

They also have additional guides to help you aswell! Hope that helps!
  • Robbiek1000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, I've been lurking here for a few months, fairly new to 3D modeling. Hopefully I will be able to upload my first item this time! :D

Anyway, I have a tiny question--have I done something wrong with the masks in the PA weapon I am currently working on? I previewed it earlier today and it doesn't appear to have any real shading applied to it.

VuQJKPt.jpg

My first thought is your alpha map for Mask1. That alpha is your self-illumination alpha. If that is pure white then that would be your issue. That could be a possible solution.
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    Hey everyone, I've been lurking here for a few

Check the alpha channel in the _mask2 file also, it shouldn't be completely black, even more in the metallic parts.

If so, try making it brighter and see what happens.

@Kerroh:

What RossC said. You download the model from the last link he posted, and import it to the 3D editing software of your liking.

If you happen to choose Blender, you must download an SMD import/export tool for that.

In a rush, what I do for my models is to get the basic shape of the equipment model (lowpoly), then proceed to subdivide it with a multimesh tool and sculpt it with the imbued sculpt tools Blender come with.

That done, you UV map your lowpoly and bake AO* and the normalmaps from your highpoly (sculpted version) to it, and save the resulting images.

With the AO bake at hand, you can proceed to do the colouring/fine job in the texture and work on the mask files.

You also need to rig your model to the skeleton. A good tip is to take a look into the animations of the hero you're making the item for before even starting the concept, so you can have a better idea of how to shape the item to prevent ugly deformations/clipping and general hairloss in the skin weighting process.

This is far from a complete guide, if you're not familiar with the software you'll certainly have a long way ahead, but the steps are there, hope it helps.

*In this video, he bakes AO using a lamp; I find better to use environment lighting for that purpose.
  • Madzia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Madzia polycounter lvl 8
    Masquarade/Carnivale theme. Still working on this with Konras.

tumblr_mksxnr5zsw1rw215do1_1280.png
  • Mantra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the belt and the cape on the carnival assassin, and the neck part is also neat. But if you dont mind, that orange color just doesnt fit. I would try a cold yellow, or bloodred instead. The problem is probably that PA is not really a colorful character, shes sort of blending in with that greyish teal and black, but for the carnivale theme you definately need more color than that. On the other hand if you get it right it would certainly make the in game model pop out more, so I hope you can pull it off. In the meantime, I finished sketching my OM weapon. Continuing my crescendo of animal cruelty I designed the deadliest weapon of all. Behold!Whacker-forest-ogre_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow! you guys are in flames this month, nice to see a lot of new entries =]

@roquedemon and Mantra , thanks guys, im adding it to the first page, that will help a lot the others

@Mantra - sure man, you can participate with infinite number of entries =]
  • RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Decided to delay the UV Unwrapping, Sculpting and Texturing for later, I did some small fine tuning to the base model and compiled it with simple base textures/masks again.

I'm happy enough with the base model and how it's basic geometry works to begin the sculpting over phase, which isn't my strongest suite but this is all for learning experience anyway.

v8j3BUH.jpg

This will probably be a single item. I wanted to make hair for Phantom Assassin but keep some of the motifs from the default helmet. Specifically, the way the helmet covers the majority of the sides of her face and the shadowing over her eyes. I atleast wanted to have the shadows over the eyes conveyed in the portrait view.

Hair color will probably be something either similar or matching darker tones of her pants, I like how they would compliment each other. I don't think I'm going to go for a full jet black hair for that reason, but I'll probably try it out regardless.

--
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Hy guys , I think Ill go for a more overwhelmed dark seer ; like he would use his magic execisvely and It started mutate or someting from his wish to become the best :D

PLease let me know what you think

Uff : tnx for the seer charts , In my lazyness I was actually waiting for them to pe uploaded :D

23w2uck.jpg
    tnx
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    RossC wrote: »
    Decided to delay the UV Unwrapping, Sculpting and Texturing for later, I did some small fine tuning to the base model and compiled it with simple base textures/masks again.

--

If your adding masks to test out your model ingame, for hair and cloths don't make it to shiny, because now it looks like a helmet.. Maybe just use a black mask at first..

Allready some great concepts being posted here, I first try to finish my brewmaster set and tehn go with teh PA weapon I posted earlier..
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a wee bit o' progress

dsWIP03.jpg

i'm trying to go for kind of a ceremonial armor type of thing here - a lot of embellished leather and the yellowish brass kind of metal he's already got on him - along with some sort of pinkish purple shinyness...maybe some glowy bits. we'll see how it all comes together. for now at least i've started sculpting :D

curse all of you who've already finished sets. i can has more hours in a day?
  • vector_meche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all! I'am new to polycount ^_^ ,to 3d modeling aswell :D
    For last week's I'm learning 3ds and first item that i want to make is a PA weapon, but now i wonder about its insane look in comparation with already approved PA weapons...that looks simple but nice thou...
    Here is low poly one (some days ago figured out how to make high poly thanks to Anuxi tip)
    I'm not sure i can enjoy competition :( cos of my insane experience =_='' btw take a look please :S
    finalmeshss.png
  • riceart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riceart polycounter lvl 10
    im new here,
    concept
    fxqa1k.jpg
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Blocking out my set ,I arranged the "tentacle thingy"to work ok when animated.
    [IMG][/img]2uzcfmc.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, i sticked our competition on the top of the dota 2! =]]]

now it will be easier to get access to it
  • penOr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    Made a PA weapon, and happened to start it just before the monthly competition =)

60586198C5A8E598351B49D204B97E34C2EBD58A

I don't think it suits PA too well (too bulky), but wanted to complete it.

@Blupanda - Man that set looks great, the orange color really works well in-game