Homeโ€บ 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Environment Challenge 2

Replies

• reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    I'm in - though a little late...started on my lunch break Monday.
    I may be only half noob...i'm not sure. whatever. I haven't been able to focus on a project worth a bean the last few weeks so this'll help me get something done. (wanted to do the last one but i couldn't find the time)
    PROGRESS!
    nlcWIP01.jpg
    today i'm going to optimize and unwrap in preparation for baking - the plan is to have everything i've currently modeled (exception: glass) on one sheet...so i get to avoid the tech stuff for now (thankfully)

CRITIQUE!
    vader - you look to be making the corridor a little narrow where bonkahe is making it too wide. that's all i have atm
    work it, kids! holidays are for sissies!
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe polycounter lvl 7
    Crit, Reverend K, I think the slopes on the edges of the floor and roof are nor sloped enough, not to much on the bottom but more so on the rood edges, I think its more a matter of widening the floor and roof parts and let the edges realign themselves, also, all on one texture? thats... gonna be interesting to say the least, I am extremely excited to see your progress.
  • Klash-120
    Offline / Send Message
    Klash-120 polycounter lvl 6
    Here's my progress

I think normal map issues won't never go away... where did you bake them guys?

35hha4h.png

So, your high poly is seamless, your Low poly, did you smooth shade everything? I would try that. Using Xnormal was it? Using a cage mesh with your bakes? And lastly. Try inverting your normal map's green channel in the texture. (Photoshop > channels > select the green layer & invert!)

Coming from Maya, I usually have to invert for UDK / Cryengine too it seems. Hope that helps D:
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    My updates for today.. still blockout ;)
    Working with grids and modular pieces works quite well

Blockout3.png

Blockout4.png

edit: here one with shading ;)

Blockout5.png
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    So, your high poly is seamless, your Low poly, did you smooth shade everything? I would try that. Using Xnormal was it? Using a cage mesh with your bakes? And lastly. Try inverting your normal map's green channel in the texture. (Photoshop > channels > select the green layer & invert!)

Coming from Maya, I usually have to invert for UDK / Cryengine too it seems. Hope that helps D:

Cage never seems to work for me, idk what it is, gets all kinds of errors in Xnormal when I use cages.

@Alpha, looking good man, keep it up, I think proportions are what your gonna end up kicking everyones ass at, lol

As for me, Progress, got the normal for the first bulk head done, needs allot of tweaking, but I'm tired of messing with it, so I'm going to go ahead and do the roof, then I need to finish the floors and the padded wall.
    wip-8.png
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    Eselle - If you're referring to the pads on the walls there's a couple of things that can cause problems with that. Make sure that the hard edges are broken up in the UV shells - baking a hard edge into a solid UV island causes problems.
    also it looks like the pads may be trying to have a smoothe transition with a face behind them - if that makes any sense... (if this is your pad: <] then make sure the < and the } have separated smoothing groups or the sharp angle will cause weirdness.)
    additionally it could just be Max. Max 12 + (not sure on 11) are complete retards whith reading normal maps...so you could give it a look in-engine if you haven't already and see if the problems are just Max being an idiot.

vader: i retract my previous statement - those proportions look pretty nice now. Not sure why you've got the doorway extending from ceiling to floor but i'm assuming that's just a WIP thing.
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Esselle, want me to put up a picture of my smoothing groups for the pads?
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    @ ReverendK - Thanks dude, yes still working on that door.. Also the "roundness" of my floorpatterns to the wall.. You're progress seems to be very good ;). Like youre scale.
    Which shader did you use ?

@ Bonkahne: Thanks - yeah, iam more focused on right scale and working with ndo2 then staying 120% to the concept ;)
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    @alpha - Just max13 default nitrous - i can't get xoliul to work in 13 >_0 so i just have a light set-up that i merge into everything. nothing fancy.

@bonkahe - you're right about the corners on the floor - i'll fix that when i get to unwrapping those meshes.
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    I just waited 10 minutes for a high poly model to import into udk... was wondering why it was taking so long.
    Captain_Picard_Facepalm_Stenci_by_Ali_Radicali.jpg
  • Scruples
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    @Bonkake, you have 5x4 tiles instead of 4x4.
    My rather disappointingly small amount of modeling done tonight (colored parts)
    AYqZC.png
  • Plumbjet
    Offline / Send Message
    Plumbjet polycounter lvl 12
    I,m still have fun with maken the highpoly version of the doors, not getting as much time on this as i would like but i think its coming along.
    doorwip002.jpg
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, btw happy thanksgiving everyone, I will be modeling tomorrow but not to much.

Edit: Ok, last update for today, got the roof roughed in, normal map issues abound but it is visible without making your face melt like that dude from raiders of the lost arc.
    wip-9.png
    Also dropped in some simple lights to see how their gonna look, night guys and gals.
  • NinthJake
    Ah cr*p, completely forgot about this, hopefully I'll be able to speed my way through most modular assets as hard-surface modeling is my strong side but I'm not sure if I can keep up with the rest of the process :(
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Help me what is this how to fix it?
    help.png
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Bonkahe - I didnt lied about the proportions :) just said because i want to help. Btw the sideling panels texture resoluton looks smaller then it may be supposed. I mean compared to the others. And one more thing that i noticed. Your texel density doesnt seems to be equal. Can you show me a screenshot from your texel density?
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    Some Updates:

Want to put it in C3 now - for Scale and Blockout purpose

1. Is it better to import the whole modular scene or just the assets i created and stitch them in Ce3 together ?

2. i exported the assets in one Group, but in cE3 i cant select the individuality . just as big block.. Does every piece require its own group ?

Blockout8.png

Blockout9.png
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Help help for my problem?
  • Scruples
    Offline / Send Message
    Help help for my problem?
    Post it in the Tech-talk section of the forum, make sure you post system specs and try to atleast attempt troubleshooting before you do.
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe - I didnt lied about the proportions :) just said because i want to help. Btw the sideling panels texture resoluton looks smaller then it may be supposed. I mean compared to the others. And one more thing that i noticed. Your texel density doesnt seems to be equal. Can you show me a screenshot from your texel density?

Lol, it was a joke >.< oh well, I know there's proportion issues, and density on what model exactly?
  • ZeroBigSis
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroBigSis polycounter lvl 10
    Update, been working on the proportions. Think there is still a bit of tweaking to do

[IMG][/img]nov01.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe - I know there is no geometric precision distance between the lines, but here is my illustration:
    bonkahe.jpg
  • Esselle
    Offline / Send Message
    Esselle polycounter lvl 10
    Obscura is right, the door is almost a square... maybe something like 4.8 height x 5 widen

Anyway, guys do you have some tricks to make those awesome wires? Just extruded cylinders?
  • Scruples
    Offline / Send Message
    If we use the wall padding as units which it appears we are, the door is more like 4.1x5.5
  • CDeniz
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz polygon
    Obscura is right, the door is almost a square... maybe something like 4.8 height x 5 widen

Anyway, guys do you have some tricks to make those awesome wires? Just extruded cylinders?

If you are using maya, try working with the ep curve tool. There should be simple tutorials on youtube. Only thing is you will have to spend a ton of time unwrapping them if you want to texture them,, i wont be.

Also if you are using cryengine 3 there are rope entities that you could create in the engine,, havent tested it for this scene since it seems easier to work with curves in maya. Pretty sure udk has a similar function.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    its 5.5 h x 6 w I think. or 5.5 x almost 7 if you want to put electrical parts between the doorframe and the "pyramid"like panels

Esselle - For the wires: if u using max, make them with lines.you can turn on the viewport rendering for it, and you can parameter the details like sides for example, what is realy useful, because if you have placed your wire you can copy it for your lowpoly.then convert the orinigal model to editable poly, and have fun :D
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I got family over (for thanksgiving), and their here till Sunday, idk how much 3d modeling I'm gonna get done, I keep trying to break away but its not working very well.
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    Little Update
    - worked on the import/export of Cryengine 3
    - Getting started with the basics of that Engine - pretty nice

Here a shot: = its from the viewport - so not the players view - someone know how i edit the Viewport viewsize ?

Blockout10.png

If someone is working with Maya/CE3 - i recommend this tool: SeithCG
  • CDeniz
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz polygon
    ^upper right corner of the viewport you can change the screen res presets or set your own. You should be taking screenshots with e_screenshot.
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    r_getscreenshot = 2 worked well, but thanks ;)

Blockout11.jpg
  • Esselle
    Offline / Send Message
    Esselle polycounter lvl 10
    With those curves, is there a function to create a curve and then make the mesh deformed following the curve? For example i make a long cylinder, with 5-6 sides and subdivided 5-6 times, and then i can make it following a parabola... I found this function in blender, is there a same one in 3ds max?

And, it's a wire... so can't it have only a color as diffuse and a constant as specular and specular power?
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Yes you can, you make a spline, and then there is a modifier that makes a selected mesh follow that spline.
    Forgot the name of it for a moment, I think it's the pathDeform one.

So if you google for spline pathdeform you should fine some tutorials.

edit: if you want to make cylinders, you don't even have to, splines have the "show in viewport" settings, that you can use to make cylinders out of them, and then once you are happy with it you can put a edit poly modifier on top.
  • SelwynPhillips
    Offline / Send Message
    SelwynPhillips polycounter lvl 11
    Im back! I've redone some of the technical parts but this time I made the low poly geometry simultaneously (which worked well for me :) ). Next I'm going to make high/low poly versions of a few more tech pieces and start transfer mapping... which is the part that always goes wrong for me. Anyways, here's what I got so far...

tumblr_mdyfd9lIpf1rk3q8ho1_1280.jpg
  • CDeniz
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz polygon
    Looking good selwyn.

I finished baking some normals for the main mech pieces. I plan on adding more detail to the normals with crazybump later, but for now here is where its at. They are all using the same 2048x2048 texture sheet, if it looks like garbage at 1024x1024 ingame I will keep it 2k.

maya2012112318210786.png
    maya2012112318191306.png
    maya2012112318190256.png
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    a small update. got some work in after all the thanksgiving madness was over.
    nlcWIP02.jpg

it doesn't look like much - and it isn't...but it's unwrapped, dammit. give me some credit.
    note: the empty space in the UVs is reserved for the tech stuff - which i fully intend to kitbash like a crazy person...as i intend to do this whole damn scene in one texture map (except the glass, hoses/wires and computer screens...)
  • Scruples
    Offline / Send Message
    I've fallen behind, I gotta get more work in....Edit: actually I think I've sorted out most of my workflow, it needs to be more linear as I was doing highpoly and low-poly at the same time before, I am just going to concentrate on highpoly and do low-poly lator, uv unwrapping and texturing last. I am just way too scatterbrained.oLHHS.png
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Keep it up guys.
  • greyStandard
    Looks awesome Scruples! In fact everyone's stuff is looking super good!
  • SanderDL
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    Hello,

I thought I would chime in aswell.

6lSyy.jpg

This is what I have so far. Still lots of work to be done. But it's getting there.

My goals for this project:

- Finally finish a scene again.
    - Make high poly models and bake.
    - Bake with shared UV's.
    - No fucking distractions, just getting back to work.

Right now I'm using a lot of 512x512 textures. Usually one for every object. I'm going to try and use a texture atlast script and see how that works out.

A few days ago I was in the google hangout with Almighty Gir and today I was in one again. Not that I was saying much but it's good to broadcast when you work. If everyone can see what you do on screen I tend to work better and not look at 9gag all the time. Or other stupid useless stuff.

There are is already a lot of good stuff going on in here by the way. I hope everyone can finish.
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok Obscura, a few size tests for everyone, this is using your measurement, with the floor being 6 pads wide.
    This is the pads being 64x64:
    wip-11.png
    this is 48x48, 3/4ths of the original size:
    wip-10.png
    I thought the first was a bit big so I scaled it down to the second, I'm liking it I think I'll leave it that way, this is in udk btw.
    As for my absence, family has been here since thanksgiving, nephews and the like, crazy.

Edit: the wonderfull scale tests continue, seems 48x48 will not work, to large still:
    wip-12.png
    So I dropped the pad size down to 32x32, this is the result. (Note, had to move the two guys closer together obviously).
    wip-13.png
    Kinda claustrophobic, but I like it, so for future reference, in udk 32x32 seems to work good.
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    Good works guys !
    Did some texturing Stuff today.. Dont want to spam here,
    but i think its an noob challenge, so maybe youre interested in my progress steps.

- Messing arround with Ce3 lights and materials
    - UVs done on some objects
    - Remodeled some wall pieces

As you can see, iam thinking about some variation then sticking with the concept.

//Textures still very WIP !!! (Just normal an AO - Wip too)

Blockout12.jpg
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    Good works guys !
    Did some texturing Stuff today.. Dont want to spam here,
    but i think its an noob challenge, so maybe youre interested in my progress steps.

- Messing arround with Ce3 lights and materials
    - UVs done on some objects
    - Remodeled some wall pieces

As you can see, iam thinking about some variation then sticking with the concept.

//Textures still very WIP !!! (Just normal an AO - Wip too)

Blockout12.jpg

Did you change the pads to metal? also looking great man, got wires? :D

Progress: redid everything so instead of the walls being 64x4 on a side then scaled to 50% their now 32 on a side, basically just to get all the math out right, this is what it looks like, also I started useing dropbox :D
    wip-13.png?w=d93220d3
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    Dropbox is good, but many people cant see the pics..
    (Dont ask me why ;( )
    I recommend you to put a scale character into maya/max, also
    setting up the grid.

Thanks, wires coming soon ;)
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    hey alpha, the way I link em is to drag em into my dropbox folder, right click and hit view in dropbox website, then click the image in dropbox, and once that comes up hit the thing in the bottom right for "View original" and copy the url from that. just hitting that stupid share thing doesn't work.
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    well i can't see anything, bonkahe.
    alpha: the open panels on the ground seem pretty big - both in length and depth - they're a bit inset from the rest of the angled panel in the concept - dunno if that's something you were tweaking deliberately or not.
    and not to self: must learn cryengine...
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverend I'm just trying to get the scale correct, to see what numbers work best for size, atm I think for udk 32x32 pad sizes work best.
  • greyStandard
    An update to where I am right now. Have a lot more to do.pcpost_002.jpg
  • CDeniz
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz polygon
    Awesome grey, its coming along nicely.

Although I havent finished modelling yet, I will go into the engine tomorrow and begin texturing.
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok well that's the last time I'm starting over cause a flipping scale, I'm going with the scale I got, if its screwed up so be it, I only got 3 weeks left -facepalm-
  • Shapeshifter
    I'm a bit late to the party but ah well, anyway here's my progress:

7hGeg.jpg

(Sorry for the crappy resolution I'm working on my lepterp right now.)