Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Environment Challenge 2

Replies

• Skillmister
  • nick2730
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Bonkahe --> Are you work with 3dsmax? if yes, then add unwrap uvw modifier, save your uv map1, swich to uv map2, and press reset.open up the uv editor, then load your uv1.then click to tools, and then click pack uv-s, check rotate clusters and fill holes, then pack it, and collapse it.thats all
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe polycounter lvl 7
    I personally drop it in the engine after retopoing but before textureing, then when I go to texture it its already in the engine and its just a matter of refreshing the texture to see the way it will look in the final scene.
    But that's just my way... and I'm not a pro or experienced or pretty much anything with slightly competent before it.

Edit: Nick and Obscura! Thank you very much, Nick my internet has a limit (satellite :P) so videos are generally a no go, but that is what I needed, Obscura got it into words pretty simply and it worked beautifully, I'm actually saving both posts for future reference, as for what I did, see for yourself:
    Wip%20render8.png
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe - It looks like your normalmap is flipped at the side panels. Plus i personally would use more polygons on these panels. Otherwise it looks good :) Oh and one more remark. Why dont you started an empty scene instead of using night scene?
  • Rikimaru03
    are you guys building your pieces to a grid to make for easier importation in to your engine of choice, or are you just "building"?
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Rikimaru03 - We must need use grid, to make them fitting with each other
  • nick2730
    Im building to a grid, 16. So i can snap it all together in UDK
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think that's it, flipping them in max, I thought it was the smoothing groups but look at it in marmoset:
    Wip%20render9.png
  • Rikimaru03
    Gotcha. Thanks.

oh, and Bonkahe, looking at the ref and the image you posted, it looks like the the padded wall things look like they stick out a bit too much.
  • iangoold3d
    Offline / Send Message
    iangoold3d polycounter lvl 5
    just started this morning this is what i got done, excited to see how everybody project turns out!

ss1.png
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    Wip%20render10.png
    Ok changed a bit, but in the process accidentally lost the high poly model, I'm going to redo these one I have the entire thing blocked in.
  • Rikimaru03
    So do we have to stick exactly to the concept? or if I wanted, I can switch out that middle floor tile with a more complex tile?
  • Esselle
    Offline / Send Message
    Esselle polycounter lvl 10
    I think we can do some little changes...

edit: those stripes are troubles with ao in xnormal .-.24o7jpj.png
  • Skillmister
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    My progress today

corridor1.JPG
  • Pancake
    I decided to whack together the modules I've got so far and see how things go. To the left, gaze upon the monstrosity that is the mock-up. To the right, take note of the modules I used to create Frankenstein's monster. The pipes are a replacement for the bulk of the electronics as I lack the mechanical knowledge to do a massive amount accurately :P

I'm off to add as much as I can to it before I head off to my soul-crushing night job.

dTew1.jpg
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    Whelp, stupid fucking satellite internet, I get 10 gb a month for 80 bucks a month, first I stopped downloading things, and my usage still didn't go down enough for me to have internet the hole month, then I stopped watching movies, then youtube videos, now their telling me I have to stop listening to fucking pandora just so I can get on the slow as shit internet the hole month, hell I've even stopped looking at web comics, or keeping up with double fine adventure, and infinity forums, so yeah, I will be on once tomorrow to dump pics and receive crit, then again the day after, sorry for the rant.
  • gyarados
    nice progress so far guys its interesting to see how you guys are going about modeling this thing.

iam going to join in too because i can probably learn things from this. I havent used udk before so i will need to look at some tutorials to bringing the models in-game.

So i have some questions:
    once ive finished the base do i just hi-poly model everything?

iam not working on a grid in 3dsmax and will probably model things in pieces does that mean it wont fit together in udk?

can i do everything in 3dsmax first before putting things into udk?

what fov do i use in 3dsmax to get a good representation in udk engine?
    PUF7wSy.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Sounds like me, except I have a 60 gig cap. I also have free data from 12-5 am.
    Geez man,, where do you live?
  • Klash-120
    Offline / Send Message
    Klash-120 polycounter lvl 6
    Sorry I use max:/ But I know that Crydev has a wealth of knowledge on it, what do you need to know?

Pretty much the concept of 'sub materials' and/or how they're treated in Cryengine (and max).

Scenario: I made an asset, slapped on two materials (Maya) and export to cry.
    Everything looks good. I then choose to add another mat (or delete). and everything gets reassigned and explodes. Also, any settings I made in cry gets nuked...

Any way around this? @__@

Thanks a bunch!
  • Klash-120
    Offline / Send Message
    OH, and Pancake, your geometry looks ace! Keep it up D:
  • Pancake
    I'm going to put a stop to the mostly low-poly work and start doing the bits to bake down later. I'll do a large portion of it in nDo later. Hopefully I'm not deviating too far from the concept- I'm just having some fun with it at the moment, making it up as I go :)

Left: A mock-up using the modules so far. Right: said modules.

SexrK.jpg
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Gyarados - Hi. 1. Yes, Model them highpoly, then lowpoly but if you are not familiar at this, i recommend to watch a few tutorial about making in-game assets,normalmaps,etc. 2. If youdoesnt work with a grid, your models probobly wont fit. 3. Yes, excluded the textures. 4. it doesnt matter what fov you use in max, because you set it in udk.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys i have a little question about the collision for the doorframe.Its okay if i just give them a simple box collision, and then we cant go through, or make it concave(custom collision model)? if the second, then can someone give me a tutorial or something about custom collisions?currently i can just make collisions from the builder brush in udk.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    Klash-120 wrote: »
    Pretty much the concept of 'sub materials' and/or how they're treated in Cryengine (and max).

Scenario: I made an asset, slapped on two materials (Maya) and export to cry.
    Everything looks good. I then choose to add another mat (or delete). and everything gets reassigned and explodes. Also, any settings I made in cry gets nuked...

Any way around this? @__@

Thanks a bunch!

In max I would set it up as a multi sub object, with standard materials using the crytek shaders, one in each slot you want t to use. Then assign the material id to the polys. So for sub material two use a material is of Twp, ect. Then assign the multi sub to the object and export. Once in cry engine with your object in your level, make a new material, but make it a multi material. After that right click, the material and press the top option, its like set number of sub materials or something. Set it to the number er you want and you're good to go. Sorry for the poor post. I'm on my tablet.

Cool fact, if you click the physicalize button in the crytek shader it automatically makes a collision box for any object. For a piece like this, why not. Also cry engine 3.4.3 came out today. Pick that up as well.

Anything else you wanna know?
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    hey obscura do you use max? if so then make your low poly and everything, then create a model that's just made out of boxes, and box in everywhere you don't want people to go, keep it simple, no need to model the wires or anything, then if your door is named "Door_01_Scifi" rename the new collision model as "UCX_Door_01_Scifi" select both of them and export selected, for maya I think its the same but I don't use maya so I couldn't tell you exactly how to do it.
    As for where I live, Tennessee, worst place to live in the grand united states if you want internet, other than that its a pretty nice place.

So, time for a thought change, looking at everyone, some of us have finished half of the high poly modeling/low poly modeling in 3 days, forget that, I got a month, its not a race, I'm not moving on from a piece until its done. At one set piece a day its 11 days until I finish, giving a few more days for those wires on the center hall way module, about 15 days, that means going incredibly slow and incredibly detailed I still have 15 days to detail and take crit.

Long story short I'm starting over.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Bonkahe. I know about collisions need to be realy simplified, But didnt know how to export custom collisions.so thanks.I using Max btw. A few years before that, i had mobil internet which had 7 GB limit.i Loved it...
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    Np Obscura, if you need anything else about max/zbrush/photoshop to udk transfers Lemmie know, that's one thing I know quite allot about
  • Skillmister
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished +3 high and lowpoly models,uvs and baked a few new maps.I Currently use only 1024x1024 texture space excluding the doorframe which is just a model without maps at the moment.
    wip4v.jpg
  • Esselle
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura, are you baking ao maps in max?
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Esselle - Yes, I baking my maps (ao,normal,alpha if needed) in max.
  • Esselle
    Offline / Send Message
    How did you smooth the mesh? When i bake ao map in xnormal, it keeps to give nearly empty ao maps... while in 3ds max it gives me strange artifacts, like in the picture (i guess due to a bad smoothing)... Did someone already have this kind of issues?

avnfys.jpg
    i don't care much the color, since i can desaturate it
  • e-freak
    let me just say: great choice of concept and awesome how much traffic and progress this already generated! Makes me wanna join, although I dont have much time right now.

A suggestion maybe for the next contest (or extra for this one) would be to make a copy of the finished scene and develop a concept of a variation of it, from concept to changes in engine (like overgrowth, alien infection, maybe steampunked - whatever). that would help to add some personality to the final final versions :)
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    OK! So basically IBR or "Image based reflections" wont work on a material with an opacity, idk why but there it is. so after and hour or so of messing with ibr I scratched it and tried another way. 6 hours of learning a hole new way of doing reflections later, and here it is, this is mainly for Obscura, but figured I would drop it in here for everyone else to, I made this without any help, only referencing some of the materials in udk already.

Step 1: go to File->Switch Renderer->Directx 9, then restart, it seems theres a bug with Directx 11 where this will not function.
    eUSpe.png

Step 2: Go to content browser, select Actor classes from the tabs at the top and create a "SceneCaptureReflectActor" in your scene, Set it up in the same location as the glass, but slightly lower. (EDIT: Make sure this is pointed down so it reflects the room below, once you have a texture attached to this it will start reflecting and then you should be able to tell which side is up or down).
    dmYPC.png

Step 3: Go to your package and the textures folder, create a "TextureRenderTarget2D" and set it to whatever resolution you want, with something this large and in a scene this small I just set it to 2048x2048 and called it a day.
    1lq32.png

Step 4: Double click the Scene Capture Reflection Actor thingy and with the Texture Render Target 2D texture set it as "Texture Target" in the Scene Capture actor, then set the frame rate to something reasonable (60 does fine for me) you can mess with the settings for better results but this worked fine for me.
    tderah.png

Step 5: Ok! finally to the Material its self, For this your gonna need a diffuse and a alpha, (and any other maps you need that's just the "minimum") and set them up as the following, then come back and I'll explain what everything does.
    eVuioh.png
    Ok so first set the Material properties to Blend Translucent, and two sided. Add your maps and plug them up where necessary. (Note about my specular, ok yeah its the lazy mans specular so sue me). Now for the Grand finale, First create a Screen Position (Search the box top right for "Screen") place it and check "Screen align. This makes the texture move as you do so it doesn't just look like a picture on the model. Now apply a mask to it, (search top right box for mask and select the "R G" one), I honestly have no idea what this does but what I do know is it wont work without it. Plug that up to a texture sample with the Render to texture from the reflection, plug the mask into this. Next hold down L and click to make a lerp (basically a mask, I got no idea why they call it a lerp). Plug the reflection into b, and a constant of 0 into a, then make the two multiplies and a constant of 5 configuration you see at the top, plug them up and into the alpha of the lerp, basically this just makes it so everywhere that is white on the alpha is B, everywhere black is A. Plug the output from lerp into the emissive.
    Bask in the glory.
    isnTHh.jpg

See something I screwed up? tell me. (I do tend to screw up allot, and its been a long time since I did this so I guarantee you I screwed up somewhere).

EDIT: And one more, why? cause I'm a show off that's why. :D
    Finalproduct.png
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    First blockout
    Blockout.png
  • Esselle
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work bonkahe! Can i ask you about a thing? I always have troubles with 2d reflection (i have troubles with everything :poly122:), especially when i make big reflection actor, the texture has boring bright green areas... In your try did you use a big actor, as large as the whole roof, or did you use different little actors for each glass?

edit: ahahahaa screen align unchecked!! :)

and here is my progress
    2eok7m8.png
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol, yeah I used one, sorry for the long wait, where were at we have a fire place for most of our heat, so I had to go find a tree cut it down and drag it back, but yeah, back to modeling the floor ^.^
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    MOAR BLOCKOUT!
    Blockout2.png
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol nice blocking out, hey heads up for anyone who's following my little tutorial, once your done with it and its working the way you want, just right click the mirror actor and hit Visibility->Hide selected, that way its out of the way, if you ever happen to need it again just right click anywhere and hit visibility->Show all.

Edit: oh btw it seems like your roof is a bit high Robeomega.
  • jamiemurphy
    Offline / Send Message
    jamiemurphy polycounter lvl 8
    Capture.jpgI started today, this is my progress so far.
  • Skillmister
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Good job on the reflections, that's the exact method i was going to use (did that before for rain reflections on ground)
  • Scruples
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    I'll share my attempt to make the wall thing a little easier to comprehend.
    lUgTG.jpg
    mSabZ.jpg
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks scruples! that's gonna be really useful when I start that module.
  • CDeniz
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz polygon
    Those ingame shots are looking good Bonkahe. I will be playing with the new box projected cubemaps in ce3 for reflections later on.

Gonna start those wires
    https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/0868a5ed6888cb9cfa40df938b1d5c42842f8923
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Deniz, I just cant get it to stay online I'm gonna go to bed, sorry man, better internet luck tomarrow.
  • Klash-120
    Offline / Send Message
    In max I would set it up as a multi sub object, with standard materials using the crytek shaders, one in each slot you want t to use. Then assign the material id to the polys. So for sub material two use a material is of Twp, ect. Then assign the multi sub to the object and export. Once in cry engine with your object in your level, make a new material, but make it a multi material. After that right click, the material and press the top option, its like set number of sub materials or something. Set it to the number er you want and you're good to go. Sorry for the poor post. I'm on my tablet.

Cool fact, if you click the physicalize button in the crytek shader it automatically makes a collision box for any object. For a piece like this, why not. Also cry engine 3.4.3 came out today. Pick that up as well.

Anything else you wanna know?

How do you keep track of assets in Cryengine? Grouping / organizing / etc. Anything similar to Maya's Outliner?

Just came across Layers, no idea how they work or to assign meshes .__.-
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    Klash-120 wrote: »
    How do you keep track of assets in Cryengine? Grouping / organizing / etc. Anything similar to Maya's Outliner?

Just came across Layers, no idea how they work or to assign meshes .__.-

Layers are like layers in max or photoshop, place an object on a layer, everything is in that layer. So like particle effects could go in one layer, ect.
  • Pancake
    Oh... dear god Scruples... I'm just going to ignore that module and replace it with pipes. Not the right way possibly, but I'm probably going in a more grungy direction than the concept. Hope deviations are still accepted :P
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice tut Bonkahe thank you so much!:)a few perception about your scene. The player looks very small compared to the walls.This means your scale is need a little work. I had this too, but fixed in UDK with scaling down everything to 50%. As i see, your scale is mostly the same as my old one,so scale it to the half or minimum 75%. And are you sure, your normals are not inverted az the side panels?The upward facing surfaces are dark and the downward facing surfaces are bright.
    Esselle - How did you baking your ao in max?It looks like you dont have highpoly model, just a "mediumly optimized" lowpoly.I see the same mesh at your ao bake and in your scene in udk.