Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Environment Challenge 2

Replies

• JeremiahJensen
    Hey everyone ! i know its super late but im going to jump in and try do as much as i can, even if i dont get it finished ill just try to learn as much as i can. Ive only just started 3d so everything is still pretty foreign, but ill just keep chugging along at it :)

starting.jpg
  • shinobix
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    hey GreyStandard, I like how your scene is coming along! Good luck with this challenge!
  • Klash-120
    Offline / Send Message
    Klash-120 polycounter lvl 6
    Rage quitting for tonight. Had a brilliant idea to model a unique HP and LP asset. So I can rotate, scale, etc & prefab in cry! Looks like poo :D
    wtfckles_01.jpg
  • JeremiahJensen
    Trying to learn everything makes me want to melt into a brain blob in my chair haha but here my progress, Im not sure how to make normal maps but i think i need to model it again high poly then bake that to what i have already modeled. That will be tomorrows objective, Or i may even try stay awake for abit longer and do some tonight.

1.jpg
    2.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Klash you really should have left the cables separate meshes, you don't need to have that rats nest in the corners, you know, with all those lines on one vert. You have a shading issue as well, other than that I don't see why you can't salvage it.
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe polycounter lvl 7
    DDO is out, and I must say, its amazing.
  • sulkyrobot
    Offline / Send Message
    sulkyrobot triangle
    Bonkahe wrote: »
    DDO is out, and I must say, its amazing.

What's that?
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110844

Its great for dropping basic textures, and place holders, if you want a complete asset I suggest you go over it by hand at the very least, but its great for prototyping things, probably more if you are better than me :)
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys.. this is my progress so far..

- fixed alot of meshes
    - solved some scale issues
    - messing again with lights and shading in maya and ce3
    - since i only use modular in maya and not in Ce3 i redesigned some tiles.
    - done some uv stuff on most of the static props

Blockout13.jpg

Thinking about doing all static meshes (floors,wall etc. in one 2k texture)
    and all props (screens, wires, computers etc. ) in other 2k texture.
    What do you think ?
    Also iam not sure about the texturing process, i want to do alot in ndo but is it better to do all in one texture or do it separately and put it together when everything is done ?
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    I assume allot of them are going to be using the same texture so 2k sounds fine, but for the monitors I don't think you need the much, just 2/3 screens, some wires and some computer-y stuff, idk maybe 1k? I would try it with both and see, looking good man.
  • sdmitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    sdmitchell polycounter lvl 6
    I really wanna do this, but its far too late in the month now. XD Will there be a new thread for the next one?
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    you still got 2 and a half weeks, Work on it man!
  • Pancake
    Goddamnit, I got myself hooked on Dawnguard for almost a week there and made very little progress on anything. Anywho, here's an update. (Just mashed together quickly).

Most things that need normals have them at this stage, though a few (the two renders in marmo included) still need more work. Since I know very little about electronics, thanks to the power of nDo and the internet I'm pretty much making it up as I go. The scene render at the top pretty much shows what's at what stage- if it's purple, it's got a normal (just chucked in as a diffuse since Maya's normal rendering hasn't always been my favourite method of doing things).

Luckly I've almost done the normals, so all that's left is finishing the unfinished areas, clean-up and the other texture maps. Then engine, if all goes well.

pA1Rj.jpg

Excuse the horrible mash-up, nDo and photoshop are chugging at the moment as I'm doing this all on a laptop, and I didn't want to add more stress to things :)
  • JeremiahJensen
    woah ! that looks so nice Pancake!
  • greyStandard
  • JeremiahJensen
    ran into abit of an issue, I had most of my low poly models down so i decided to try and export them as an obj then make some high poly details over the top, I followed a tutorial on baking normal maps this way and my map come out like this.

do the high poly models you are baking from need to have clean topology, apologies for the more then noobie questions guys

normalmpa.jpg
  • nick2730
    Did you do the normal details in NDO pancake or actually model it out
  • Pancake
    nick2730 wrote: »
    Did you do the normal details in NDO pancake or actually model it out

All nDo's work. Not a single high-poly has been made so far :)

*EDIT- Oh wait. Apart from the puffy panels on the side. That was a quick smooth then a bake.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    Try pressing the make perfect normals button under the make art submenu in the render to texture list.
    That should fix your ray miss.
  • JeremiahJensen
    Try pressing the make perfect normals button under the make art submenu in the render to texture list.
    That should fix your ray miss.

Thanks Alex! :)
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Alex! :)

No problem fellow;)
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    This is all inspiring stuff! I think I may join in for the next monthly challenge :P
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    //EDIT:

Okay, my question was how to bake out a
    selection map in maya for CSS.

Here is a great plugin

Under Rendering -- lightning and shading you can batchbake mental ray and bake the colors to a map.
  • sdmitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    sdmitchell polycounter lvl 6
    ran into abit of an issue, I had most of my low poly models down so i decided to try and export them as an obj then make some high poly details over the top, I followed a tutorial on baking normal maps this way and my map come out like this.

do the high poly models you are baking from need to have clean topology, apologies for the more then noobie questions guys

normalmpa.jpg

Hey there, that's not actually your normal map. That map is a representation of... hm, how well the cage on your projection is working, red bits means Max is running into trouble and the cage intersecting with geometry from the high poly mesh. What you wanna do is look in the modifier stack whilst your setting up the projection and expand the Projection modifier, hit Cage and then fiddle with the amount. I find hitting reset and them increasing it but 0.1 or 0.2 works the best, sometimes bits of the cage have to be scaled manually depending on the mesh. :) Hope this helps!

Also, your proper normal map will be saved somewhere else, you specify this in the Render to Texture menu.

@Bonkahe, I thought it was set to the months, but if I've got two and a half weeks I might. Depends on if I get my uni work done! :)
  • KennyTies
    My guess is its to late to join in on this, so is there going to be a challenge next month. I may just give myself a month to get this done otherwise.
  • CDeniz
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz polygon
    @sdmitchell & KennyTies

This runs challenge runs until the end of Dec 13th. And yes we will have another challenge next month, Alex has already picked out the concept we will be using.
  • KennyTies
    Thanks CDneiz I just saw the post where it said that its going until the 13th. Well looks like im all in. I am excited now.
  • CDeniz
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz polygon
    ^good to hear.

Here is my update.
    Since the latest ce3 build I havent been able to take screenshots larger than my monitor,, any ideas?
    editor2012112923165463.png
    All the textures are going to change, I just wanted to get some colours in the scene right away so that I can get a decent cubemap and test my reflections.
  • JeremiahJensen
    sdmitchell wrote: »
    Hey there, that's not actually your normal map. That map is a representation of... hm, how well the cage on your projection is working, red bits means Max is running into trouble and the cage intersecting with geometry from the high poly mesh. What you wanna do is look in the modifier stack whilst your setting up the projection and expand the Projection modifier, hit Cage and then fiddle with the amount. I find hitting reset and them increasing it but 0.1 or 0.2 works the best, sometimes bits of the cage have to be scaled manually depending on the mesh. :) Hope this helps!

Also, your proper normal map will be saved somewhere else, you specify this in the Render to Texture menu.

@Bonkahe, I thought it was set to the months, but if I've got two and a half weeks I might. Depends on if I get my uni work done! :)

Thank you for helping me out, Ive been slamming through tutorials trying to understand it all. Ill pull the assets back up tonight and try to bake one out using the methods you explained :) thank you again
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz wrote: »
    ^good to hear.

Here is my update.
    Since the latest ce3 build I havent been able to take screenshots larger than my monitor,, any ideas?
    editor2012112923165463.png
    All the textures are going to change, I just wanted to get some colours in the scene right away so that I can get a decent cubemap and test my reflections.

http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?f=311&t=92863

Also you can use the environment probe to generate one from your scene.
  • SelwynPhillips
    Offline / Send Message
    SelwynPhillips polycounter lvl 11
    Heyup, here's some progress. I spent some time making high poly and low poly assets for all the mechanical pieces. The good news is I used maya's transfer mapping successfully for a change. The bad news is the assets really don't look all that great... But I can revisit that. Now I've turned some of my blocked out pieces into high poly assets. Here's what I got...

Note: Will look into transfer mapping using xnormal. I hear you get better bakes from it.

tumblr_mebd2hnq8i1rk3q8ho3_1280.jpg
  • KennyTies
    Ok so here is my progress I have the roof panel, and the floor panels here still a few things I would like to fix. Jumping a bit ahead as far as the unwrap all the pieces would get there own texture sheet with a tiling texture? or is there another way. noobchallengeTop_Down11_29.jpg
    NoobchallengeHeight11_29.jpg
  • Bertmac
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    Hey all looking good, things are shaping up nicely.

@CDeniz just wanted to ask what kind of shader / light setup you use in post 235 looks pretty cool
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    2 weeks left... damn.
    I'm still working on it, but I don't have much to show as I just started over, and now I'm about to where I was before I started over, I should have something to show you sometime next week though.
  • CDeniz
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz polygon
    @Alex
    I was using an enviornment probe with box projection but I had its dimensions all wrong. Still not sure if I have them right,, is the box supposed to fit the room or half the size of the room like some people are saying on crydev.

@Kenny
    I think most of us are using one texture sheet for multiple objects of the same material.

@Bertmac
    Nothing special, just 3 point lights,, one red at the front of the scene (med intensity),, one blue at the back (med intensity) and a white one in the middle (low intensity).

Here is my update:
    frame000016.jpg

Guys only post your progress in this thread, we have a discussion thread over here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111308
  • fragfest2012
    How did you make the screen textures? I am going to be entering this late, but, for me, the goal is only to improve my modeling and to learn the basics of Mudbox, so I won't be bothering with textures (at least not yet) beyond normal maps.

Thanks!
  • fragfest2012
    Ok, jumping in a bit late here, but that is OK. I am going to aim for finishing on 12-15-12, but I am also not going to be texturing for this round. The whole point of this experiment for me is to improve more LP modeling and to learn the basics of Mudbox. Anyways, here is my first progress screen:
    96w76x.png

Thanks, and let me know what you think!
    PS: I am not going for a direct representation, but rather my take on this style.
  • SanderDL
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    Some progress. It's starting to take shape. Still lots of work need:

aMWU5.jpg

I've been experimenting with using a self illuminated material to bake lighting. It works pretty well and I'm happy with the results.

I've have also added a some postprossecing. It's a little heavy at the moment. Aswell as that it adds some weird bright spots to the lighting. But whatever, it might fixes itself after I get the actually lamp models in.

Another thing I've added is realtime reflection on the floors. It was surprisingly easily to set up and looks pretty good. It is a little overblown at the moment as nothing gets masked off yet.

One thing I regret doing is, putting off the panel and the screens with the all the wires. I hate it when I'm avoiding harder stuff untill the very last moment.

There are also a few small things I need to change. A few mis alignments and add specular maps. I was also thinking of showing some kind of stary night above the ceiling, instead of the reflecting the concept has.
  • fragfest2012
    I got an update for you! Added some varying colors to things (still not UVed or lightmapped, so the lighting will look a bit weird), added a few new meshes, and made the lighting halfway decent. Tell me what you think!
    w2onqq.png
  • Klash-120
    Offline / Send Message
    Klash-120 polycounter lvl 6
    Rages with cryengine's mat / exporter > Downloaded the latest UDK > messed with a bit, then raged some more > back to cryengine > luls. Think I'm getting the hang of mat editor @___@
    sciHall_04.jpg
    Nnnrrgh.
  • Bertmac
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks CDeniz For answering that, it looked like you had some game engine shader or something/

@Klash-120 look cool dude i just think that the technical plate need some more depth, i mean right now it looks like you just baked everything on a flat plane.
  • sulkyrobot
    Offline / Send Message
    sulkyrobot triangle
    Anyone give me any tips on baking a normal map?

I went to Maya and transferred maps as I probably wasn't using Xnormal properly and was getting weird results.

jb2K1azBenG6s6.jpg

There's a little weird artefacts on the highlighted orange areas. (in Marmoset)

It's the first time I've baked anything or really UV'ed anything so I could be doing something completely wrong. 1024x1024 with high sampling quality in Maya. (also need to make the shape more of a pillow rather than what they're currently.)
  • CDeniz
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz polygon
    @sulky
    Are you using padding between uv borders? You have to spilt those uv edges and space them apart in the uv editor,, then give them enough padding for baking the normal map. I havent used mayas transfer maps enough, but in xnormal under baking set the padding to around 16 pixels. O

Or if you do have enough padding then its probably your cage is not big enough, you can adjust the cage in the 3d viewer of xnormal.

@frag
    Just some graphs, charts, designs I created in ps,, i will post the texture later.
  • fragfest2012
    Thanks, I would absolutely LOVE to see them!
  • samcole
    @Sander, what did you do to set up real time reflections for the floor? I was working on a personal project once and tried to use a cube map of a room to simulate reflections, but I couldn't figure out how to make it work inside a material.
  • DavidBrumbley
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidBrumbley polycounter lvl 8
    here's what I have so far. Gonna play around with materials a little bit more. I'm not entering the challenge I just really wanted to make this :p. Good work guys!

nood_challenge_render_full.jpg

nood_challenge_render_lilbits.jpg

so far i'm using 1 main texture and a small glass texture. Here's the normal from the main texture. Still work to do on the diff and spec.

normal_render.jpg
  • ToffeeApple
    Offline / Send Message
    ToffeeApple polycounter lvl 8
    Hi all

I love all the work that is being produced - very inspiring! I am just lurking for now but may join in on a future challenge :) I have some of my own personal projects I'm finishing up at the moment.

DavidBrumbley - I can't wait to see your diffuse map - I love the level of detail and your own take on this.

Klash-120 - I love that material - and those grates and your doors are looking great. I agree with Bertmac that you need more polygons in your technical plate.
  • e-freak
    here's what I have so far. Gonna play around with materials a little bit more. I'm not entering the challenge I just really wanted to make this :p. Good work guys!

so far i'm using 1 main texture and a small glass texture. Here's the normal from the main texture. Still work to do on the diff and spec.

looks great :) - i like the interpretation of those wall panels!
  • Esselle
    Offline / Send Message
    Esselle polycounter lvl 10

nood_challenge_render_lilbits.jpg

normal_render.jpg
    LULZ! Fantastic!
  • TheGoozah
    Very cool!Love the level of detail so far.