Home General Discussion

Artists work - past and present

Replies

• cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    I love these threads! It's fascinating to see the progress people make over the years.

Here's some stuff from the depths of my Photobucket account:

2006:
    colprak6.jpg
    2011:
    jungle_clearing.jpg

2005:
    rakugaki025.jpg
    2012:
    soldiers_in_colour.jpg

2006:
    refuselorry.jpg
    2011:
    100horsepower_WIP.jpg

I only wish I had some of my old character models from my first portfolio I made in 2002/2003. There were some humdingers in there!

love this! nice one nick!
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    this thread is flubbin great

got me looking through my old college work... not surprised to see I was already a genius a decade ago.

fungus_shot1.jpg

viewarms.jpg
    grope1.jpg
    crawler2.jpg

gobody5.jpg
    mouthmonster.jpg

balistadonemaybe.jpg

lechuck5.jpg

zombo_turn_big.jpg
    hexwip5.jpg

salarian_beauty.jpg
    jet_final.jpg

FinalRenders.jpg

2010 - present
    oldboy2.jpg
    doodlehead1.jpg
    Molly_LowFinal4.jpg
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    Ferg wrote: »
    this thread is flubbin great

got me looking through my old college work... not surprised to see I was already a genius a decade ago.

Oh man that Tree Ballista is actually a really cool concept. You were a genius to begin with, just had to hone your skills!
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    Figured I give this a shot, a lot of this stuff is rather embarrassing...

2008 - My first character model
    MjFGRnx.jpg

2010 - These where the characters I used in my graduating portfolio, everything in between this and 2008 is about as bad as you imagine
    a>

Post Grad 2010 - 2011 (all in order oldest-newest)
    WMhLojY.jpg

Yd7Ezin.jpg

This last one was my first normal-mapped character, I decided it was probably a good idea to learn zbrush and baking for real after that.
    kN2TKvh.jpg

2012 - Again in order from oldest to newest, I made a lot of models in 2012
    y7qnB.jpg

Struggles with Zbrush:
    tRx79.jpg
    8Ugi7.jpg

Character Art Boot Camp
    UqmK1.jpg

V19R10f.jpg
    x5pOR8o.jpg
    aFyZRXp.jpg

I did a lot of Anet tests to try and challenge myself and work from other concepts
    FHD0K.jpg
    UklkbHg.jpg

BOTk1Sj.jpg

A comparison of something I am currently working on, a rework of a model I did a year ago.
    D4WrutY.jpg
  • PxelSlayer
  • CharlieD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharlieD polycounter lvl 11
    My very first 3d model! The godlike pew pew tank. ~2007
    XxiW7wB.jpg

~2007
    6QLMsZI.jpg

~2013
    pAHgH1lh.jpg
    MPyq09dh.jpg
    socVXigh.jpg
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    lol! Absolutely awesome thread, I'll play this game too! :D

This thread made me wanna google for my old websites, and lo and behold I found this, ahah!! http://helderp.com.sapo.pt/index.html

ND_Street3.jpg

ND2.jpg

9563036660_e692a252b1_b.jpg
    [UDK] Post Apoc scene - cam 1 by HelderP, on Flickr
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Damn HP, but I wonder how much of that is driven by differences in tools and tech.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    ysalex wrote: »
    Damn HP, but I wonder how much of that is driven by differences in tools and tech.

That's kind of a douche thing to say

Edit: This is me overreacting
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Care to explain how?

He's obviously an amazing artist, so I'm wondering what his perception of how much of the above difference in quality is created by the amassing of new skills, versus the availability of new technology.

As an artist with his reputation and skill, I think the answer will be interesting, because he probably has a much better overall picture of 3d art over time than I do having only recently (a couple years vs. a decade at least for him) started.

I imagine even if you look at the most amazing 3d artists portfolios, there is going to be a divide in quality over time, even if skill stays the same. I wanted his take on that.
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    These are embarrassing.
    2002:

old01.jpg
    old02.jpg
    old03.jpg

2013:

Cove07.jpg
    Cove01.jpg
    Cove04.jpg

ACR_RealTime02.jpg
    ACR_RealTime01.jpg
    ACR_RealTime03.jpg
    ACRHiPoly.jpg

JonathanLambert-art.com_Xd.jpgJonathanLambert-art.com_Xd_Hi_Wire.jpg
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Sure

It marginalizes his improvement by implying that tools and technology improve quality of ones skill-set... I think your opinion is misguided, I think bringing it up in a thread showcasing artist's improvement is crass (wasnt this already covered in the Marmoset thread?)..your elaboration is less crass, but implies the same thing....this is all just my worthless opinion..so back to the Improvents...Yay thread

Edit: ..Gir brings up a good point..ysalex, you're right it would be awesome to hear HPs expierences in the matter
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    low odor wrote: »
    Sure

It marginalizes his improvement by implying that tools and technology improve quality of ones skill-set... I think your opinion is misguided, I think bringing it up in a thread showcasing artist's improvement is crass (wasnt this already covered in the Marmoset thread?)..your elaboration is less crass, but implies the same thing....this is all just my worthless opinion..so back to the Improvents...Yay thread

if michaelangelo only had one brush, he would still have been a fantastic artist. but if he were presented a range of brushes, with new hair types, he could create even more wonders than before.

i understand what Ysalex is saying, and i don't think he meant for it to come across in a negative light. HP is a fantastic artist, and a great sauce to put on cheese on toast! his work would look good no matter what it's displayed in. but i think the question that was asked probably came across wrong, and could probably be better asked like this:

Helder, how has the range of tools available changed your approach to art, and how have they affected your results? are there any tools you feel more comfortable with than others? do you feel that your experience or lack of has affected the way your art looks in any particular tool?
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I'm not sure what to say about you (Well I do, but I'll keep this civil) if you think the only real reason CG has improved in the last 10 years is because the artist have gotten better.

Hell, just think about the rise of zbrush over the last decade and what potential that has unlocked.

My guess is he couldn't even open the file of his new scene on the 2003 machine he used to create the 2003 machine.

Double that if you think asking the artists own opinion on the subject is 'crass'.

Honestly you can moan and overreact all you want but I'm still curious what HP thinks.
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    Very nice thread indeed!

2007:

8696d1183158343-humanoid-heads-w-i-p-humanoid_face.jpg
    9131d1184182190-humanoid-heads-w-i-p-starik.jpg
    36967f95138b.jpg
    b8d9d1d1c36e.jpg

2009:
    9100-1269340015-artwork.jpg

2012:

The-Chieftain.jpg
    warcraftdragonhead_by_ahtiandr_by_ahtiandr-d5ylgn9.jpg

3dArt_UndeadSoldierbeauty_image1Big.html
  • ReneFisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ReneFisher polycounter lvl 6
    Most of my stuff is 2D because I only started doing 3D stuff the end of last year. I Made this image back in 08 or 09 and have just been adding to it since. And please forgive the gigantic image, shitty spelling/grammar,horrid text transitions, and TERRIBLE drawings haha.

ANeNboC.jpg

Also some stuff from this year...
    WZ75U08.jpg
    eQ9Vfci.jpg
    FyCzsLv.jpg
    e0KGD1M.jpg

And I recently started working on my 1st Character model (still a WIP), so perhaps Ill be posting again in a year or two laughing at how horrible it is, like the rest you you guys and your first character model. :)
    V3GBXwk.jpg
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    @almighty_gir, @ysalex and @low odor

I can definitely see what you mean. When we started we didn't have half of what we have right now. There was no Normal/spec/gloss maps, post process, advanced shader techniques, no modeling HP's and baking it down on LP's, so in a way it was easier for you to learn and mess around with stuff, on the other hand information and documentation was extremely limited and artists were pretty much learning as they go. In fact, back then there was no such thing as an artist position, level designers did all the geo typically on a level editor, they even did all the texture work aside from the normal level designer functions we know today.

Also, it's a back and forth process, the tools only got better because the artists themselves got better (and vice-versa) because we started to demand better tools to work with.
    So I think we got way better at what we do naturally and incrementally, not only technically but artistically. So both things go hand in hand.

Although, I honestly believe good tech by itself wont make a good artist. The artist needs to dominate the tech and have good artistic knowledge. (Color theory, smart usage of rule of thirds, etc, etc)
    A beautiful horse won't ride and do awesome stunts by itself, it's the horse rider that dominates the beast that makes it do it.

Another sidetopic to this is that nowadays there's so much to learn and work with the challenge might actually be in choosing which tools are going to be beneficial to your personal growth than anything else, it can be overwhelming; therefor information diet is very important, it applies to all of us but specially for people that are just getting started.
    Advanced tech also means a huge increase in complexity, new comers get lost and they get their priorities all messed up. People that start to zbrush without knowing how to model LP, or using ndo without knowing what a heightmap map or even a normal map is.

tl;dr It's simple, as your tools improve so does your standards, and tech wont magically make bad art into good art by it's own. The only constant is that the artist is nothing without the gift and the gift is nothing without the work.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    yikes, heres my progression

nr7Kle1.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    oh man i like this. :)

gun-1.jpg

2009:
    rifle11.jpg

2012:
    highres.jpg

2013: This is pretty much the only thing ive done this year outside of work that's gun related.
    astra900-sm.jpg
  • GenericGoodGuy
    Been a few months since someone posted their work, so I'm bumping this thread.

Post some work from when you first started and some from now.

I haven't been practicing faces long but I think I've improved a small amount -

head_practice_by_genericgoodguy-d6c2w2w.png
    head_11_by_genericgoodguy-d6t9n3s.png

Still have a lot to learn but I'm getting there! (started in April/May I think)
  • Jabberwockxeno
    It's amazing to see how much progress people make, and over such short amounts of time, too! I'd be interested in seeing people post what they did along the work examples,over time that they think helped them improve, if there was a specific thing then can pin it on. Did you start taking a class, did you start following a series of videos? etc.
    s620ex1 wrote: »
    Cool thread.

July 2011. 2 weeks into learning 3d.
    And 2 weeks into it you still could do it better than I could after a year!
  • Pabs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pabs polycounter lvl 11
    I'd be interested in seeing people post what they did along the work examples,over time that they think helped them improve, if there was a specific thing then can pin it on. Did you start taking a class, did you start following a series of videos? etc

i think scott eaton's class gave me a boost as well as the other countless video tutorials i have watched.

nov. 2010 (think these were the very first heads i sculpted)
    1m29KDU.jpg

feb11. 2011
    x47abf8.jpg

may3. 2012 (work i did for scott eaton's class)
    week2_shoulders_incomplete_by_pabgo-d4yiuq4.jpg

aug19. 2013 (getting a bit rusty :/ )
    1enBwxZ.jpg

aug.21 2013
    orB7EOn.jpg
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    First model.

karincrapdiff-1.jpgpoo/norpose.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

about 1 year

palfrontbackshrk1500_zpsf5f8cf5e.jpg
  • Stinkfoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkfoot polycounter lvl 11
    This thread man, So much good progress:thumbup: , very motivational and gives a sense of hope that my polygonal sins against man might aspire to something good as well!

*tips hat to all*
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Just came across this thread and would love to see it active again! I guess I'll have to add then :D

April of 2012:
    uMenM2l.jpg

Feb of 2013:
    pnRKYk7.png

June of 2014:
    fFIQTEK.png
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Beefaroni, Wow, that's some impressive progress!
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    yeah for sure that is awesome!
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    oh man, just came across this thread for the first time ever...so much fun! I may have to do this at some point!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Damn beefaroni!
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Beefaroni, that's incredible. I remember seeing that sci-fi dude and being blown away! I think these two of mine show the greatest shift. Back in 2013.

5th February 2013

25.png

25th October 2013

FinalHangman1.png
  • juniez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10
    well here is my brief but stretchy history

Untitled.1.png
    oicw.png
    bms_lobby.jpg
    smg1-tex2.jpg
    64e107e898.jpg
    tumblr_n7id5gJeVa1t5aocgo3_1280.png

ha. boy, have i stagnated
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Thank you everyone. It really means a lot.

It's nice seeing more posts in this thread too!!
  • pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    Great thread. Super motivation.
    Here's my 2 cents:

Low poly render back in 2013
    tAa0o3X.png

Recent low poly render that I did this year
    etNZskD.jpg
  • CrackRockSteady
    Fun thread idea :) Here's my contribution (personal works, not professional)

~2010:
    ColtNavy03png8606cd45-9a5c-4a8e-8d87-8f73c6fd4b7eOriginal.jpg~original

current WIP:
    Sharps_WIP004.png~original
  • LeeMeredith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LeeMeredith polycounter lvl 7
    I created this thread ages go on a different account which has since been abandoned but I'm glad it has been bumped and people are posting again.

Loving the progress you guys make, fills me with inspiration.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Think I'll go ahead and post in this thread! Sorry if it's too many images. Found a bunch of old ones I'd forgotten I had and managed to track down rough dates for them.

(This first one was my very first digital painting ever)

oldmanfinal.jpg

armbird_jpg.jpg

flowerman1.jpg

flamebirdpaint3.jpg

2008-2009

pluton_b1_large.jpg

newbrushestest5.jpg

finalwarrior.jpg

2010-2011

septscan8.jpg

doorman_finished.png

2012-2013

milit_finished-1.png

May2012_013_p2.png

night2_p3.png

AListenS2013_27_Up.png

Listen14_MountainWatcher.png

Listen14_Nola.png

Listen14_UTMC_FinalSub_OffS.png
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    2012 (First model)

karincrapdiff-1.jpg

some more shots and a render. The gaurd was rendered in M2 with the same materials as used in Unreal.

graurdrender_zpschwkwtaw.jpg

armor_zpsdtgykllj.jpg

SCcloser_zpsa0lqjaua.jpg

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w90LEQZaUUY[/ame]

4k2000asdas_zps8kumpjct.jpg

tankbeatuy_zpszlknzwg8.jpg
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    my progression in male anatomy

ZJcAr3S.jpg
  • SUPAVISI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SUPAVISI polycounter lvl 7
    2010-ish

mystic_by_filiporekhov.png

anime_head_bust_showcase_by_filiporekhov-d7oonkh.png

The black bars remain...Some habits die hard.
  • ferrettank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ferrettank polycounter lvl 2
    So a bit of inspiration for all of you.

When I first had the idea to make games, I started with making LFS skins, I had many people tell me I can't do it. Well, I kept trying, with any practice you are going to get good and surpass the people with "natural talent". That is why I hate it when I hear "some people have art skills and some don't". Here is proof that is all about commitment! :D

My first digital art piece:
    showskin_zpsmgpahc0i.jpg

My latest 3D Art piece:
    Dream-of-Generations_Final-Revised1-980x542.jpg
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Great thread, it's inspiring to see other peoples improvement!