PSA : Don't forget to turn off screensharing when having some "alone time"
    You know who you are.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Harford wrote: »
    Hey Adam,

No, a paid google hangout won't work as it costs $5 + per user per month, and every user who might want to join needs to register and and be added to the 'organisation'. It would end up costing a small fortune. Other alternate services cost similar and upwards per month per user.

I suggest we post the link through a URL shortnener and make sure not to advertise the hangout on our profiles. Despite what Lee said, I don't think it shows up on your outgoing personal + page. It only shows to you internally.
    At least let's have a section of the initial post that tells people to make sure not to publicly announce it.

what i meant, was that Google uses a system kind of like facebooks "timeline" stuff. where the actions you perform are recorded internally in the timeline, even if nobody can see them, not even yourself. they're still recorded internally.

what that means is that if somebody like hangoutsnitch has been able to work out how to access that information (which is possible), then there's no possible way to hide the hangouts.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Harford wrote: »
    I suggest we post the link through a URL shortnener and make sure not to advertise the hangout on our profiles.

Just want to point out this one again. http://www.redr.us/ It does do spam ads, but its the only one I know with CAPTCHA. Without a CAPTCHA, I think a decent programmer can get a bot through a link shortener easy.
  • MrsNomingtons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrsNomingtons polycounter lvl 12
    Hey everyone

I just wanted to make a quick post to raise an issue that's been happening now and again without being fully acknowledged (besides the infamous racist incident)

When you join these hangouts, it almost feels like it should go without saying that you gotta think carefully before you say something really crude to someone, especially when you barely know that person. But unfortunately, some people don’t and the result of those 'jokes' is an awkward tension that is not only felt by the person receiving the comment, but by everyone else who had to see/hear it. It just brings a hell of a negative atmosphere that is totally uncalled for and you’re immediately putting yourself under a bad light. Apologizing doesn't always cut it, so try to be sensitive and wary about what you’re going to say and think of how it’s going to be received.

Besides that, the hangouts are totally sweet.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Yeah I agree, we can get really silly in the hangouts from time to time but you still need to be careful about what you say and I was in a pretty bad mood last night even though what was said wasn't aimed at me in any way.

Also coming in to not screen share or talk feels like a wasted space when the hangout is full, it's generally full every night at the moment so there are always people who're willing to share ideas waiting.

These hangouts help to make polycount great, at least for a small portion of us and making an effort not to offend people should be a given really.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, the main reason for using the hangouts is to use the screenshare, if you want to chat it's better to use Skype or something. Or else you are wasting a spot.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that fair to the lurkers who want to watch and learn?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • NanoTurtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm assuming the negative incident you're referring to is the one related to me. If not my post is still valid.
    I've been having some rough times the past year and I've been relying on the hangouts/3D work to escape my personal issues. While I'm usually able to leave my problems behind at the door, Saturday I got hit in the face with some pretty bad news and it led to me almost having a meltdown.
    I shouldn't have joined the hangout that night. I had no idea what I was saying and immediatly regretted it. What I said was unfunny and rude.

I would like to personally offer my apologies to everyone present, especially those that took offense.
    It's a shame this happened because the hangouts have taught me so much and have served as a way for me to escape. Unfortunately my personal problems caught up with me.
    If I'm no longer welcome in the hangouts I'd at least like to have a chance to apologise to everyone present, I can understand not wanting me around anymore.

Nico
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    You're always welcome man and props for you post :)
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    We all make stupid mistakes and nothing malicious was said, so I won't hold it against you. Just think before you type next time.

Also it wouldn't hurt to use your mic and share your screen once in a while.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Things like this are why I mute the room most of the times when I enter. Hard to concentrate with 9 people talking over each other, and god help you if there is a disagreement/fight.

I agree to everyone mind their manners, but I could care less if anyone has a headset or not. Also, totally cool with non-industry lurkers getting a look behind the scenes.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Find it hard to talk when I have a mechanical keyboard and trying to program haha :P
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Vic Gundotra
    Shared publicly - 14:44
    #googleplusupdate

This means you will soon be seeing Google+ Hangouts in HD quality. Expect us to roll this out over the next few weeks.
    #googleplusupdate

Wonder if screenshare will be included in that..

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+VicGundotra/posts/XY9GGhBCPKP

And not sure most people (in the UK especially) will have the upload speed to cope with it anyway
  • bjorke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bjorke polycounter lvl 9
    Polygoblin wrote: »
    Experiment update: I created a new hangout window and posted here to see what would happen. The admin of the site (that from hence forth will go nameless online) joined...

(image skipped)

I think this app pulls hangout urls or something. The guy mentions Polycount, but it was hard to tell if people "report" hangouts or if it just crawls the web.

(Pops up from obscurity)

Report these intrusions to security@google.com -- the guy running that app (and others, apparently?) is clearly in violation of the Hangouts ToS agreement & I've started whining about it to the G+ dev team too. Let's not let "pre-teen trolls" (lol) poop in our sandbox :)
  • DrunkShaman
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    There's been a bit of confusion recently as to which hangout to join, so to reiterate:

PRIMARY HANGOUT
    OVERFLOW/ALTERNATIVE HANGOUT
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    @bjorke - Done. Thanks for the heads up. Complaints are sure to add up and perhaps Google will do something.
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    can anyone relink the rooms?
    the only one i know which is in the OP is empty :(
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    These links that paul wrote should work fine...
    PaulP wrote: »
    There's been a bit of confusion recently as to which hangout to join, so to reiterate:

PRIMARY HANGOUT
    OVERFLOW/ALTERNATIVE HANGOUT
  • NanoTurtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Both Hangouts seem to be down at the moment.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah both hangouts are finally dead. But never fear, a new permanent hangout has been made! I'll add an overflow one soon too.

(links removed, see below)
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    It seems like hangouts are no longer 'semi-permanent'. I set both hangouts as Events which are supposed to last through till 2018, but the Overflow Hangout has already died.

I hope it's just a temporary hiccup on google's side; it would be sad if we can no longer using lasting hangout rooms.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seems like hangouts are no longer 'semi-permanent'. I set both hangouts as Events which are supposed to last through till 2018, but the Overflow Hangout has already died.

I hope it's just a temporary hiccup on google's side; it would be sad if we can no longer using lasting hangout rooms.

Just noticed that right now. Really screws up planning to say the least for all perm hangouts.

EDIT: They are fine. The urls have changed. To find the new one look under the event and click on the event link.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Ah ok that's quite annoying. Guess it will be better to link to the Event page so people can find the current link.

MAIN HANGOUT (event page)
    OVERFLOW HANGOUT (event page)

So when people join this page, all they have to do is click the BLUE button which says Join Hangout.

If anyone can find a way to keep the URL of the hangout let me know, this was is a bit of a hassle.
  • JoelStransky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoelStransky polycounter lvl 4
    I just changed my bookmarked url's to that of the event page. An extra click is no biggie.
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    Polygoblin wrote: »
    I agree to everyone mind their manners, but I could care less if anyone has a headset or not. Also, totally cool with non-industry lurkers getting a look behind the scenes.

I started my own hangout yesterday, ( not related to polycount ) anyone know how to make it only people who know the link can join? I got some several random creep joining .. >.<
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I don't know how I feel about this event page thing. That's an entire extra click! double the clicks! Is the benefit that it doens't 'end?'

Here's the direct link to those links on the event page.. XD

Regular

Overflow
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, im on the main one now doing some vector work for our game, if any one is interested!
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    bounchfx wrote: »
    I don't know how I feel about this event page thing. That's an entire extra click! double the clicks! Is the benefit that it doens't 'end?'

Here's the direct link to those links on the event page.. XD

Regular

Overflow

You cant link to hangouts anymore, man. The links expire and change, which is why Paul made the event page. ;)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    You cant link to hangouts anymore, man. The links expire and change, which is why Paul made the event page. ;)

*throws fists in the air*

nooooooooooo!
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why am i getting emails in 2 separate gmail accounts every time someone posts a comment on the event page

-_____________-
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    No idea, I just get g+ notifications rather than emails. Look through your gmail/g+ settings, if you can't figure out how to stop them being sent you can at least create a filter so you never have to see them again.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    If anyone is having problems accessing google + and hangouts, try disabling AdBlock and AdBlock Plus on that page/site. Seems to block it from loading for some people.
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    we gotta make the hangout way more private, couple of idiots came into the hangout trolling the chat with fake links that logged you out of gmail.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Re-posting what I wrote on the events page:

There is a 'guest only' invite system for the events page, but that doesn't make the hangout itself private. Anyone with a link can join. We think trolling sites work by trawling for hangout urls, which would by-pass the event. So until google make the hangouts themselves private, I don't think there is much that can be done.

But by all means feel free to research alternatives and let me know if you can find a solution. Some of us are still looking for solutions to this problem, but none have been found yet. Well none that don't cost a lot of money.
  • MichaelElphick
    What sort of times are people on the hangouts? I went on for the first time today, but appears nobody was on ( or I was dong it wrong! ) I'm GMT time.

cheers!
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    It varies, although there's usually people (Americans) on at ~10am GMT+10 to ~4pm GMT+10. UK people are generally on later for me at around ~9pm GMT+10 ~12am GMT+10.
  • keffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek wrote: »
    Ugh, he's even from Queensland. Seems to be the "founder" of Sziada "studios"

This is his polycount profile: http://www.polycount.com/forum/member.php?u=56176

Proof: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104869

Personally being a blatant dick in the hangout should be enough for a ban, but to also actively attempt to ruin the hangouts for others is extremely childish, immature and petty. Speaking of, can't seem to join the hangout at all. Time for a new one?

I would just like to say, you asked my on my honest opinion on a topic that is very sensitive one, yes I may have come on strong on my opinion, but I am not racist, I was ask about a certain ethic group,but I was mainly talking about in my area. you may think me childish and immature, but I am not the one responsible for the spam attack on the hangout.I wish to apologize on those that were offended by my comments that night, but I will say again I am not the one responsible for the spamming of the Hangout. I want to also say, I am trying to improve and it has really stressed to me, that my old account was banned and the spamming of the hangout.The reason I had not been able to answer to this is because of school and work commitments and I really wished that I could of got this message across to you guys, so, so, very much sooner than this. I would just like to say, its okay if you can't accept my apology, but I would like to say, I am not here to cause trouble, I am here to learn and explore the thing I love, which is 3D. I have talked with a number of you in the hangout and cleared things up, but I wanted to leave this here to the ones that I couldn't reach.

My Kindest Regards...
    Bryce
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Actually I wasn't one of the people in the hangout when this happened; but it's good to see you post that and apologise to anyone who was offended. However, while I accept that you might not have been involved in posting the hangout links on hangout snitch (back when that was a problem) I'm not personally convinced by your claim that you're not racist considering the original evidence. That's my honest opinion—but don't take this to mean I'm telling you to go away—maybe after actually speaking with you in the hangouts someday I'll get a better impression.

Anyway, good luck with any projects you have going and again, thanks for taking the time to apologise.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i'm in the main hangout now.
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bcottage polycounter lvl 13
    Will be on later around 9ish..wana show you guys what i have been working on recently (need crit) :P
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sythen polycounter lvl 10
    Where is this main hangout? ever since the whole hangout snitch thing I've never been able to join a hangout, they're all 'the party is over..' ?
  • Graze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Graze polycounter lvl 6
    yeah i have noticed the same thing? can we get this up and running again please :D
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    MAIN HANGOUT (event page)
    OVERFLOW HANGOUT (event page)

So when people join this page, all they have to do is click the BLUE button which says Join Hangout.

Hangout Urls are no longer permanent, just their corresponding event page. If you access the event page and click on the Join Hangout button you will be able to join the current hangout.
  • nim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nim
    You can make a persistent url but the procedure is different now! Create an event in your google calendar and add a hangout to it there and get that url. the url will have a format like this:
    https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/calendar/...
    and will be "permanent".
    So same kinda hoop as before but in google calendar now. not google+.
  • drazeni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no wonder the hangouts down i hate that hangout snitch guy, he needs to get a life.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message