Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Finished this guy:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1788240&postcount=4404

Sadly there were now texture space for blue material on belt.
    Textures applied to model here are 256px, because I wanted to know how blurry they will be. Hopefully not much blur going on :D
    tumblr_mjgt8eW3eH1s0s6i1o1_1280.png

Now Madzia will make this ugly texture little more appealing :) and I will try to skin this mess...
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    Tried renaming - no dice.
    I didn't have anything downloading when I submitted, so I doubt that could be the issue.

Thanks for helping, though, marul.

EDIT: Finally got them in. I think I may have been trying to upload them too quickly. I waited a bit before trying again, and it worked.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    Base textures may need to redo the shoulder since those curves are all inverted
    7pdEMYB.png
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NSPresentationHeaderA.jpg

Done and Done. Cross-posted from my shiny new thread in this forum. If anyone has any crits or advice that I can apply to future projects, I wanna hear 'em.

@Hawt Koffee
    That set is (for lack of a better word) "Hawt". I'm trying to think of something constructive to say aside from the normal issues you seem to be experiencing in the axe, but I'm drawing a blank. I'm pretty sure you can get those taken care of no problem.
  • marul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    BenHenry wrote: »
    Why is the picture of his back blurred out?

It was for avoiding the illusion of two heroes, I replaced the effect and reduced the blur.
  • MechBgum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero wrote: »

Done and Done. Cross-posted from my shiny new thread in this forum. If anyone has any crits or advice that I can apply to future projects, I wanna hear 'em.

Expect lots of russian comments soom :D
    Crab is a synonym for noob in russian gaming community.
    Great set anyway!
  • mjjmlandingin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi guys! started importing my courier model to dota 2 test, can i ask if you guys have encountered the same thing?
    Starting compile of test4...
    Compiling TGA: materialsrc\models\items\courier\0x06e84c50\test4\test4_color.tga
     - Compilation successful.
    Compiling VTF: materials\models\items\courier\0x06e84c50\test4\test4_color.vtf
    Compiling TGA: materialsrc\models\items\courier\0x06e84c50\test4\test4_normal.tga
    Compiling VTF: materials\models\items\courier\0x06e84c50\test4\test4_normal.vtf
    Compiling TGA: materialsrc\models\items\courier\0x06e84c50\test4\test4_mask1.tga
    Compiling VTF: materials\models\items\courier\0x06e84c50\test4\test4_mask1.vtf
    Compiling TGA: materialsrc\models\items\courier\0x06e84c50\test4\test4_mask2.tga
    Compiling VTF: materials\models\items\courier\0x06e84c50\test4\test4_mask2.vtf
    Compiling VMT: materials\models\items\courier\0x06e84c50\test4\test4.vmt
    CTargetVMT::Compile OK! - materials\models\items\courier\0x06e84c50\test4\test4.vmt
    Compiling DMX: models\items\courier\0x06e84c50\test4\test4.dmx
    Compiling DMX: models\items\courier\0x06e84c50\test4\test4_lod1.dmx
    Compiling DMX: models\items\courier\0x06e84c50\test4\test4_anim_spawn.dmx
    Compiling DMX: models\items\courier\0x06e84c50\test4\test4_anim_idle.dmx
    Compiling DMX: models\items\courier\0x06e84c50\test4\test4_anim_run.dmx
    Compiling DMX: models\items\courier\0x06e84c50\test4\test4_anim_die.dmx
    Compiling DMX: models\items\courier\0x06e84c50\test4\test4_anim_idlerare.dmx
    Compiling DMX: models\items\courier\0x06e84c50\test4\test4_anim_runrare.dmx
    Compiling DMX: models\items\courier\0x06e84c50\test4\test4_anim_portraitidle.dmx
    Compiling DMX: models\items\courier\0x06e84c50\test4\test4_anim_portraitidlerare.dmx
    Compiling DMX: models\items\courier\0x06e84c50\test4\test4_anim_turnposecenter.dmx
    Compiling DMX: models\items\courier\0x06e84c50\test4\test4_anim_turnposeleft.dmx
    Compiling DMX: models\items\courier\0x06e84c50\test4\test4_anim_turnposeright.dmx
    Compiling QC: models\items\courier\0x06e84c50\test4\test4.qc
    Compiling MDL: models\items\courier\0x06e84c50\test4\test4.mdl
    CTargetMDL::Compile Failed - g:\progrs\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 test\dota\models\items\courier\0x06e84c50\test4\test4.mdl

i've tested importing the exported fbx model back to maya, and it seems fine. maybe the problem is in my hitboxes?
  • Junglehermit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice stuff everyone!

Worked on a Drow Ranger set with my brother, haikai:

DR_BeautyShot.jpg
  • rzr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rzr
    Guys i got a problem. After finishing my mesh in blender, exporting it as *.obj and inporting in ZBrush a got some faces invisible. I mean u can see the mesh from the "outside", but if u move it to see "inside" part u'll see nothing. How can i fix this?
    image.png
  • Plant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rzr wrote: »
    Guys i got a problem. After finishing my mesh in blender, exporting it as *.obj and inporting in ZBrush a got some faces invisible. I mean u can see the mesh from the "outside", but if u move it to see "inside" part u'll see nothing. How can i fix this?
    image.png

Tool -> Display Properties -> Click Double

You're seeing the backside of the poly's, by default its invisible.
  • rzr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rzr
    Plant wrote: »
    Tool -> Display Properties -> Click Double

You're seeing the backside of the poly's, by default its invisible.

wow, dat works, ty so much
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_mjhdqv5NMb1r43xj0o1_1280.png
    Detail pass is now done, I can finally do the colour.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice stuff everyone!

Worked on a Drow Ranger set with my brother, haikai:

DR_BeautyShot.jpg

:poly142: That's a really awesome set you have there! Nice work!
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    @Junglehermit: Great set, looking really awesome! One of the best Drow sets I've seen! :)
    Konras wrote: »
    Finished this guy:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1788240&postcount=4404

Sadly there were now texture space for blue material on belt.
    Textures applied to model here are 256px, because I wanted to know how blurry they will be. Hopefully not much blur going on :D
    tumblr_mjgt8eW3eH1s0s6i1o1_1280.png

Now Madzia will make this ugly texture little more appealing :) and I will try to skin this mess...

I think even with that texture size, the model looks really great! One of the most appealing Lich designs I've yet seen. Also the game does a lot better job at resizing the texture than If you use the 256px texture. Great work!:)
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @Andyk125 I have always resized my textures manually because I was affraid that they will get ugly when automatically resized in game. If you say that DOTA2 resizing works fine, than I need to try it. Other benefit of that would be having original texture size images send in zip file to workshop.
    Anyway as I am looking at my set now.. I really need to redo the small crystals, they will be to noisy in game.
  • IEatApples
  • Paskie
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    BADASS IEatApples!
  • Automedic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I've been working on a Dazzle Staff recently and wanted to apply particle effects to it, which means that I have to manually compile my model. Unfortunately I cannot open any .mdls I compiled with the old GUIStudioMDL in any Model Viewer, and if I test my model ingame (via overwriting Dazzle files) my staff appears completely white in the selection preview and invisible ingame (though you can still see its outlines when the Dazzle model glows, e.g. when leveling an ability, which means the smd is fine but the textures are missing).

After roughly 2 weeks of constant search for the source of the problem I narrowed it down to GUIStudioMDL. I'm experiencing the same problem as in this thread (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1090698), which states that the solution is a newer GUIStudioMDL version. Ver 2.2 requires the Source SDK once again, though, which I cannot get to work.

tl;dr:
    Does anyone know how I can install Dota 2 in the Source SDK? Where do I have to put the decompiled files?
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Automedic wrote: »
    Hey guys I've been working on a Dazzle Staff recently and wanted to apply particle effects to it, which means that I have to manually compile my model. Unfortunately I cannot open any .mdls I compiled with the old GUIStudioMDL in any Model Viewer, and if I test my model ingame (via overwriting Dazzle files) my staff appears completely white in the selection preview and invisible ingame (though you can still see its outlines when the Dazzle model glows, e.g. when leveling an ability, which means the smd is fine but the textures are missing).

After roughly 2 weeks of constant search for the source of the problem I narrowed it down to GUIStudioMDL. I'm experiencing the same problem as in this thread (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1090698), which states that the solution is a newer GUIStudioMDL version. Ver 2.2 requires the Source SDK once again, though, which I cannot get to work.

tl;dr:
    Does anyone know how I can install Dota 2 in the Source SDK? Where do I have to put the decompiled files?
    I don't quite understand your problem but if you want to compile your stuff for Dota2, you should use this

Also, you can just compile using ingame importer and stock name and moving the compiled files in your test client

particles are valve domain anyway, why waste time?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    DashXero wrote: »

@Hawt Koffee
    That set is (for lack of a better word) "Hawt". I'm trying to think of something constructive to say aside from the normal issues you seem to be experiencing in the axe, but I'm drawing a blank. I'm pretty sure you can get those taken care of no problem.

It's looking cool, but I think you derived way to far from original concept of Naga Siren. It probably won't make into game.
    Especialy head is far off. It would be hard to recogize if this is still her if you look from top.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_mjicjevN3d1r43xj0o1_1280.png
    texture work
    I may need to render a cavity pass on the tartan
  • VII.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone. Great work all around the board i must say. Kind of intimidating for a modelling noob like me :P.

I would like to ask you guys for some advice.
    If i want to have part of an item i am modelling/texturing glowing/shining WITHIN dota (the source engine), what do i have to do to achieve that?

Would appreciate answer or PM regarding that question :).

Also, is there a collection or list of tutorials/guides to content creating for dota 2?

Thank all :)
  • oDD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
    some progress on my ward. I have one question:
    can my ward be a little smaller than the sample valve ward or i should match it size?

ward_1_1.jpg

ward_1_2.jpg
  • andyartisand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've updated the animations on my Tideling courier, some textures to fix, then hopefully it will be finished!

Could someone please point me to a tutorial on how to test the courier in-game?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJyec2Q0oSs"]DOTA 2 Tideling Courier Updated Anims - YouTube[/ame]
  • Jalcober
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10
    That is adorable!
  • andyartisand
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @MechBgum, @iniside

Thanks guys! Food for thought for future projects.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    B1RK6k6.png
    Any last crits are welcome
  • I-ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja polycounter lvl 5
    Can someone fix my rig I have tried weighing it, and I have tried using some tuts, but to no anvil. At most times it will just stay in one place while am moves, but when i'm lucky it ends up like this
    nopew.jpg
    (all of the belt is moing to one side and the armor clips)
    or even better this
    yesdone.jpg
    (right arm guard is moving out of control)
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @I-ninja

This is kinda basic, so I don't know if you tried this previously...

If you're using Maya, did you copy skin weights?
    If you're using Max, did you use the Skin Wrap modifier?
  • shellnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @I-ninja there might be a vertex weighted or parented on a wrong bone. Try to delete the vertex groups and reparent the proper bones, and then clear out the weights and repaint it.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Woah dashX! I have a concept of a crustacean set for naga too :D Your looks nice, but its lacking a few things like its hard to see the gradient form top to bottom affecting the value and also the saturation.
    Goodluck on the workshop man!

I'm starting to texture stuff, this anti-mage weapon needs a few more tweaks on the colour and masks (like better spec maps D:) but its almost done. Pretty no frills. I thought about putting runes or other details but when in game they just turn into nothing.
    The metalness works pretty well on it though after finally getting it to match the originals. ingame.jpg
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woah dashX! I have a concept of a crustacean set for naga too :D Your looks nice, but its lacking a few things like its hard to see the gradient form top to bottom affecting the value and also the saturation.

I'm starting to texture stuff, this anti-mage weapon needs a few more tweaks on the colour and masks (like better spec maps D:) but its almost done. Pretty no frills. I thought about putting runes or other details but when in game they just turn into nothing.
    The metalness works pretty well on it though after finally getting it to match the originals. ingame.jpg
    Maybe that's just the angle, but it looks like some neat plastic, not metal at all.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja wrote: »
    nopew.jpg

Bitch, im fabulous! =]
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe that's just the angle, but it looks like some neat plastic, not metal at all.

nah, look more metal than a lot of other "metal" items in game
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    nah, look more metal than a lot of other "metal" items in game
    There's literally more highlights on the bracers that there's on the blade.
    This is how metal looks in Dota2. AM blades are even shinier than this.
  • Jalcober
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10
    There's literally more highlights on the bracers that there's on the blade.
    This is how metal looks in Dota2. AM blades are even shinier than this.

That looks like shiny mud more than anything else.
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, just had a question since my tests were unable to replicate it: there's a shine effect on Outworld's head which I can't replicate properly, and a blue lining glow which doesn't come from edge lighting. Any ideas where it comes from? Cause otherwise, I'm pretty much at the best I can do with this item.
    YS7zfOe.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Looks like a combination of spec and rim light.

Did you match the mask layers to the original?
  • Frosty40
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frosty40 polycounter lvl 6
    Been going at it with a bunch of newly purchased tools. I will be coloring this guy today in hopes of releasing him by weeks end. I am still in the market for a bodypaint/polypaint partner so check by my workshop if your wanting to collaborate. I will do this tiger solo, Excited about this one, hopefully its good enough.

7lLhx7l.jpg
    xToij8r.jpg

Ininja, after binding your skeleton in maya,check smooth skins in window>general editors>component editor. When you select a vertex it will show you its bound value (to 100% via .01-.99) on a graph. You can do anything with that in regards to skinning.
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like a combination of spec and rim light.

Did you match the mask layers to the original?

I matched the Mask1 to the best of my ability, and mask 2 as well (though I heeded the earlier mention that the shaders guide was inaccurate for mask2 Green, and inverted it to what it was supposed to be. The normals even matches the base. If necessary I can post side-by-side comparisons later of both mine and the provided ones. Here's a video of it which should make it quite obvious what I'm referring to.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlu90S3Hy0U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlu90S3Hy0U[/ame]
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Does anyone here who's worked with Kunkka had any problems with the spec? I've increased the specularity in mask2 to maximum but I can't see much anyway. Does this have anything to do with the other color channels in the mask?
    Also, I get different specularity on different parts of the set. The back item gets more specularity despite having the same values as the rest. Has anyone had the same problem?

The quality of the items in this thread is pretty high. I really like some of the items you guys have made(crab set especially). Good job, guys and gals! ;)
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

The metalness works pretty well on it though after finally getting it to match the originals. ingme.jpg

... :icon3: OH! Value AND Saturation!

Thanks, Anuxi!

Hm. I wonder if there's a way to fix that...

@Saman, thank you.

EDIT: I think I've got it fixed. I learned something new today!

Compare the previous one with:
    NSPresentationHeaderB.jpg

Looks like I'm gonna have to recomplile my screenshots and re-upload the textures...
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Shameless crosspost MUAHAHAHAHA

L6PZN7l.jpg
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    Starcofski wrote: »
    I matched the Mask1 to the best of my ability, and mask 2 as well (though I heeded the earlier mention that the shaders guide was inaccurate for mask2 Green, and inverted it to what it was supposed to be. The normals even matches the base. If necessary I can post side-by-side comparisons later of both mine and the provided ones. Here's a video of it which should make it quite obvious what I'm referring to.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlu90S3Hy0U

I remember OD's provided masks being a bit wrong, but it sounds like you've already figured that out. When you say shine are you referring to specular or the pulsing green glow effect?

The pulsing effect is uv directional, so if it's not showing up correctly try rotating your uv chunks to correct it. If you mean specular, try adding some metalness to the shader to increase the specular effect.

spudnik - nice weapon!
  • Madzia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Madzia polycounter lvl 8
    WIP! textures are almost done. Here's model with flat lightning :D
    k2zomf.png
  • bQvle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some current WIP.

Dress still need some work on its texture, primary masks.

Wings has no material yet, but im planning on making them dark, even though the bright wings looks cool in some way.. they are probertly to sweet for QOP.

qop.jpg

Let me know what you think..

Since theres no slot for body, I've attached the dress to shoulder, which is ok, because it looks stupid with shoulders.

but is it okay to do that?
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Madzia - Ahh! That looks great! Why do I have to compete with such artistic skill ; P