Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Fletch wrote: »
    I like this idea. I think I might go back into Zbrush and try making some .

This is easy to say, but I am working with sword proportions as well that need to be maintained :x There's kind of a certain size that I feel a juggernaut weapon is restricted to due to silhouette. Eventually scaling ruins that silhouette if I keep just making everything bigger.

I think I can see what you mean about the handguard and I have ideas now that might help. As for weathering, do you think the blade should be weathered as well? I kind of felt that Juggernaut would keep his blade pristine but if it helps the overall appeal, then it might just be better to do it.

Also, does anybody have a really good resource they turn to for weathering blades/armor?

mmmmm, I don't really mean the size of the blade, I mean the size of the details on the blade. Say the patterns on the blade for e.g., if you made them with a size 5 brush, you should probably go back and rework them with a size 15-20 brush.

I think silhouette-wise the blade itself is ok, but you might want to relook at the parts past the head in relation to jugger. Jugger has quite a chunky design, and iirc (the workshop is down atm, can't check) your handle is something like half as thin as each of his fingers. So that handle could be at least 4x thicker (not longer). If you scale the hand guard and head up by that same amount it gives you a lot more in-game visual real estate to work with for your details.

As Kite suggested, Motenai does really good weathering on his weapons, has a LC set WIP just a few posts above too. Other than the polycount dota artists, you could also look at the polycount darksiders entries. Got a lot of awesome work there. This is one of my favourites together with JFletcher's: http://orbart.free.fr/index.php?Gallery=107
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Finished a rapier for Kunkka, i need to say that is really enjoyable to work on a item with a defined concept, it denies me of changing the model everytime =]

workshop link

3jzrV5C.jpg
  • Fletch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm wrote: »
    mmmmm, I don't really mean the size of the blade, I mean the size of the details on the blade. Say the patterns on the blade for e.g., if you made them with a size 5 brush, you should probably go back and rework them with a size 15-20 brush.

I think silhouette-wise the blade itself is ok, but you might want to relook at the parts past the head in relation to jugger. Jugger has quite a chunky design, and iirc (the workshop is down atm, can't check) your handle is something like half as thin as each of his fingers. So that handle could be at least 4x thicker (not longer). If you scale the hand guard and head up by that same amount it gives you a lot more in-game visual real estate to work with for your details.

As Kite suggested, Motenai does really good weathering on his weapons, has a LC set WIP just a few posts above too. Other than the polycount dota artists, you could also look at the polycount darksiders entries. Got a lot of awesome work there. This is one of my favourites together with JFletcher's: http://orbart.free.fr/index.php?Gallery=107

I think I get what you're saying now. Yeah I could definitely look at that and see what comes of it.

As to the weathering, by resources I more mean techniques and methodology rather than end results. I don't quite know how to get to final stages just by looking at them D: I did watch that complete darksiders video and picked up the Orb brush, and it looks pretty awesome. I'd still like to learn different ways for building up the hard edges around a crack to really blend it into a blade though.

Also, does anyone know a way of smoothing a surface (smooth brush/polish/etc) while keeping the crease in effect in zbrush? I'd like to be able to smooth right up to a crease without moving it if it's possible :D
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Hehe..

BACK

Hehe

Putting it up again NOW!!!!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=219785623

Huge thanks to Michael Verhaaf (confuse-d) for helping me with these presentation shots: http://confuse-d.cghub.com/

Dramatic.jpg

Hoodie.jpg
    Quivver.jpg
    Arm.jpg
    Cape.jpg
    Shoulder.jpg
    Legs.jpg
    Bow.jpg
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice and clean set Jacque
    As to the weathering, by resources I more mean techniques and methodology rather than end results. I don't quite know how to get to final stages just by looking at them D: I did watch that complete darksiders video and picked up the Orb brush, and it looks pretty awesome. I'd still like to learn different ways for building up the hard edges around a crack to really blend it into a blade though.

I show my workflow in my videos if you're interested
  • Akaime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Akaime polycounter lvl 4
    @belkun

it's so adorable!
    will you do an eye ball?
  • cottonwings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chinese New Year has settled down, had a lot of food fortune in my tummy, and ready to showcase my latest submission today.
    Demure Style of the Rider

NEW Hairstyle for Luna with t1mu

yDMEBbf.png

z1yHawA.jpg

o0Hdy2M.gif
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Looking great belkun, can you explain how you did the leaves?
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    vertical wrote: »
    Looking great belkun, can you explain how you did the leaves?

Thank you :)

It was super boring! I first got the leaf shape using ShadowBox, did some simple sculpting and then started to place them. I used transpose move holding CTRL to duplicate it several times, while rotating and scaling to add some variety. Also used AutoGroups constantly to separate them into individual polygroups. I could have painted them but the result wouldnt look that good. I could have also used an IMM brush to insert them, but I forgot about that haha.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    z1yHawA.jpg

the "cuts" look really awkward and flat, the volume on the dies is lost, and it looks like a helmet, rather than hair. You may want to rethink using the alpha (or if that's just geo) and add more volume via geometry.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    Also, does anyone know a way of smoothing a surface (smooth brush/polish/etc) while keeping the crease in effect in zbrush? I'd like to be able to smooth right up to a crease without moving it if it's possible :D

I use the hPolish brush or mask one side of the crease and smooth the other.
  • QuadWrangler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i have a question and i'm completely clueless...

...i've been approached by a team who want to use a custom courier as part of a ticket theyre selling for a tournament, but i've no idea of the process involved...

- do i upload it myself onto the workshop?
    - do i let them upload it?
    - does it even need to be uploaded onto the workshop or does it bypass the workshop entirely?
    - is there someone at valve who can help with this?
    - How is the ticket price divided up?

Not done this before, so if anyone has more of a clue than i do, i'd be very eager to hear all about it!
  • Kraken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraken interpolator
    Awesome work Tvidotto !!
    And here is some new stuff from me:
    3274AAE91F32B862FDA9016EB14DBAD70E122735

D47E47E817DD074D5E5C374929DF0EFEED387FF2
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Kraken wrote: »
    Awesome work Tvidotto !!

Love this bow, best Clinkz bow imo :thumbup:
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    @quad
    - do i upload it myself onto the workshop?
    - do i let them upload it?
    1 & 2 - The thing that happens with workshop submissions is that somebody submits the item to the workshop. When they do that, they have the option to add other partners involved. You only need one person to upload the item to the workshop
    - does it even need to be uploaded onto the workshop or does it bypass the workshop entirely?

3- the item needs to be uploaded to the workshop.

5 minutes until the beast awakens!
  • foxclover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like lots of new items! So far, we can only see the sets out on the store, so grats to everyone who got in.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    This item is on the top of the workshop right now.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=224471847&searchtext=

Got 47 pages of comments in one hour and EmpireTV.Heaven is listed as a creator.
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    zip beat me to it
  • Oroboros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »

Got 47 pages of comments in one hour and EmpireTV.Heaven is listed as a creator.

Also, 5 creators on a single item? Am I missing something here?
  • hayes87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hayes87 polycounter lvl 6

I wonder why 5 ppl to create a rather simple sven sword? must be the most bureaucratic process ever
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeeeeey, gz who get something in!
    jg_weapon_files2_large.7bd3ecf5f823a8439c7f9bb65fc86f78bf519b87.png
  • MagnoHusein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Yeah this sucks. Some people here were saying that was not bots votes, the guys just picked good artists that would be on the top anyways and scammed then.

My vote is that there is still a ghost votes system. I remember I saw something close to that few years ago, but it was not dota related.

---

Gratz for those who got something in. Lucky day, I guess Gaben doesnt hate me anymore. yayy
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Prosomogy wrote: »
    yeeeeey, gz who get something in!

Grats! My first acceptance!

dota_item_armaments_of_the_dragon_emperor_set_large.7bdab52d8600fd5d0fa2affe9cfb941b123420d6.png
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Hehe..

BACK

Hehe

Putting it up again NOW!!!!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=219785623

Huge thanks to Michael Verhaaf (confuse-d) for helping me with these presentation shots: http://confuse-d.cghub.com/

awesome work sir, i was missing your submitions on the workshop for one year i think =]
    Kraken wrote: »
    Awesome work Tvidotto !!
    3274AAE91F32B862FDA9016EB14DBAD70E122735

D47E47E817DD074D5E5C374929DF0EFEED387FF2

best clinks bow IMHO
    Oroboros wrote: »
    Also, 5 creators on a single item? Am I missing something here?

found it strange too, well, if you have a good fanbase apparentlly you can put any item on the top of the wotkshop nowadays...
    kite212 wrote: »
    Grats! My first acceptance!

comgrats!!!!
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    hayes87 wrote: »
    I wonder why 5 ppl to create a rather simple sven sword? must be the most bureaucratic process ever

haha, this! Yeah, this whole situation is really weird.

I wouldn't doubt it if there is 1 content creator, and 4 "hype-men", with that much attention in 24 hours.
  • Andumy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andumy polygon
    Guys we need your help,what concept do you believe it fits better to razor ? A or B?

A:
    6wy3.jpg

or

B:
    cnrl.jpg

:)
  • QuadWrangler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @quad

1 & 2 - The thing that happens with workshop submissions is that somebody submits the item to the workshop. When they do that, they have the option to add other partners involved. You only need one person to upload the item to the workshop

thanks for the reply - seems pretty straightforward! *

*famous last words
  • Chemical Alia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
    Hey, I finally got to start texturing my and Dry's baba yaga courier we started a while back. The textures are still a WIP, but I'm going out of town for a few days and wanted to posted what I've been working on. We have a couple different styles in mind for her, too.

wip_babayaga2_by_chemicalalia-d758i5v.png
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    More progress on the treant!

NnPBp2c.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I finally got to start texturing my and Dry's baba yaga courier we started a while back. The textures are still a WIP, but I'm going out of town for a few days and wanted to posted what I've been working on. We have a couple different styles in mind for her, too.

wip_babayaga2_by_chemicalalia-d758i5v.png

im loving this since the first post =]

looking really nice, take care with those leafs, if you are going to use planes for them, that will give you a hard time skinning
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    looking really nice, take care with those leafs, if you are going to use planes for them, that will give you a hard time skinning

Nightmares from remembering Shagbark? Haha
  • Fletch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on my axe set some, here's a little WIP of the blade. Trying my best to weather it.

Also, will be watching a few motenai videos. Thanks for your channel.

YsfQr6d.png
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    @bronto

Well he would only need a couple of alphas to break up the silhoutte a bit. Its not like you need all the leaves to be an alpha. Just create a base leaf chest and add extra leaves on top of it.
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4

Well I wouldn't even care, at the end Valve decides what comes into the game and what not. So I wouldn't even worry about it.
    Even if it gets a million positive votes and the item is terrible, they probably won't add it.. maybe only for the money :P

What I don't understand is that more and more sets and items are really deatailed and very busy. most items look amazing, but when I started modeling for dota everyone screemed don't add to much detail it will be too noisy :S (maybe Valve is evolving as well :p)
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nightmares from remembering Shagbark? Haha

precisely =]
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    I think you are naive if you think voting has nothing to do with what Valve choose to implement to the game. And getting on the first page of the workshop is often a factor if your item make it into the game or not, so it pisses me off when i see undeserved submissions chilling at the top.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
  • MechBgum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pls give Goraz some love guys <:
    It's a new Beastmaster boar with new animations and 3 styles
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=224958296

fjFyR77.png uzvSX9s.png 3uXduJT.png
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Congrats guys, I'm srsly getting a little bit by bit less motivated by getting nothing in. Enough of sour grapes. I need to get on with and keep going. I'm not going anywhere Valve, accept it! :)
  • Kael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

I'm new around and hope you will be kind with me. I'm not sure if this is the right thread.
    We have created a Warlock+ Golem set but the stuff become a bit differentiated. I'm not sure where should the team go forward. Should we follow the Warlock's style or the Golem's.
    What do you think?
    All oppinions appretiated!
    Kael

warlock-set1.jpg
  • Noblebatterfly
  • Reza
  • Rocket_Science
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rocket_Science polycounter lvl 8
    Started sculpting LC set.
    ZBLqhl2GRL4.jpg
  • La Haie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all!

Do any of you make your submissions on a Mac? I've run into some strange graphical issues with the Workshop page. I've installed the client onto several different machines, and they all end up looking like this. Anyone have an idea of what the issue is here? Naturally, I'd prefer to test my items in the same OS as the one I'm working in. :)

y3275aN.png

And while I'm here talking about client issues, I've been curious about something for a while. I'm close to completion on an item, and when I pop it into the game (on my Windows partition) I notice some strangeness with the shaders. In the turntable my specular maps and such are very noticeable, but when I actually launch a local game the item appears totally flat regardless of how pumped up (or down) my masks are. Is that normal behavior?

P.s. My first real post on here! :) I've been lurking for a while now.
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Nannou wrote: »
    I think you are naive if you think voting has nothing to do with what Valve choose to implement to the game. And getting on the first page of the workshop is often a factor if your item make it into the game or not, so it pisses me off when i see undeserved submissions chilling at the top.

Absolutely. I'm pretty convinced that the main reason my first item got accepted was because it got 7000+ votes and stayed on the front page for almost 10 days or something (7 or so were in the top slot). I think that got it (and me probably) noticed, making it easier to get the next one in.

Sure, Valve has the final say, but with so many submissions these days they need to see your item before they can decide whether to let it in or not, and the more popular an item the more incentive they have to accept it.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Absolutely. I'm pretty convinced that the main reason my first item got accepted was because it got 7000+ votes and stayed on the front page for almost 10 days or something (7 or so were in the top slot).

I mean it does, and it doesn't. My first ward got like 30k views, and 4.5k votes with a 98% approval and its 3 of all time for wards (lul humble brag.(but it's relevant, I promise)), but it still hasn't been implemented. Granted it's seasonal, but you would imagine with high numbers and rating, they could let some stuff slide.

I'm not defending the behavior what soever tho, and I'm just as flustered as everyone else. Just saying that although votes "matter" they "don't matter".

TLDR, Everyone's a winner! ... except people valve decides shouldn't win?
    ..I guess?...maybe?
  • La Haie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Absolutely. I'm pretty convinced that the main reason my first item got accepted was because it got 7000+ votes and stayed on the front page for almost 10 days or something (7 or so were in the top slot). I think that got it (and me probably) noticed, making it easier to get the next one in.

Sure, Valve has the final say, but with so many submissions these days they need to see your item before they can decide whether to let it in or not, and the more popular an item the more incentive they have to accept it.

I spoke to Robin Walker in person a few months ago and actually posed this question to him, and he confirmed that the community has a huge amount of sway in their decision making. Sometimes they'll add something they wouldn't normally because it has a large number of votes, or vice versa, they'll keep from adding an item they like because the community doesn't back it.

Then, of course, there are other factors behind the scenes. The point was that it's not all Valve or all community.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started sculpting LC set.
    ZBLqhl2GRL4.jpg

try to no oclude much the eyes, if you reduce the volume on the forehead will be better i think
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    La Haie wrote: »
    I spoke to Robin Walker in person a few months ago and actually posed this question to him, and he confirmed that the community has a huge amount of sway in their decision making. Sometimes they'll add something they wouldn't normally because it has a large number of votes, or vice versa, they'll keep from adding an item they like because the community doesn't back it.

Then, of course, there are other factors behind the scenes. The point was that it's not all Valve or all community.

While I do believe it's true, it's not like Robin is going to ever say "Oh yeah we totally just pick and choose." to anyone. Also by 'community' do they mean just whoever votes on the workshop? Are they aware of how rigged some of the items are with sites supporting them?

Honestly, as has been repeated ad nauseam, if Valve *communicated* with us about how and why things happen, half these complaints wouldn't exist. But all that's going to happen is *maybe* someone at Valve reads this thread, skims through all the kvetching, and goes on with their day.
  • Gamer_Alien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, this is a remodel of a former entry i had. Critics appreciated :

6p45j5.png