Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Today's WIP on the gyro set. The rocket launchers are almost done, though it looks like the colours might still need a little tweaking.

--Edit-- OK change of plans. Gonna aim to finish by next weekend so that I have time to finish up a head piece to complete the set.

Also, updated colours.

yQ9FF9n.jpg
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    So, I've started working on a courier/ couriers and am currently just finishing up the highpolys. They're a couple of little imps called Ehks and Oh - one Dire, one Radiant.

SamChester_Dota_Imps_Concept.jpg

SamChester_DOTA_Imps_WIP01.jpg

I'm not sure if I should add the boils on Ehks or the hanging sashes on them both as in the concept now or if they look better without them - what do you guys think?
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Looking great FAT_CAP, I think you should leave the sashes and keep the boils.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Well, here's the NP set so far, just the staff left now!

bPYaynB.jpg
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    belkun : Looks great man :)

the only change that I would maybe make is :the leafes on the "treant" ( they are a bit small/same size)
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    First dota 2 workshop item, 'Skull Cap of the Betrayed' for Juggernaut. Check it out! Here is my thread where I speak about the pitfalls of my first dota 2 item

268x268.resizedimage

637x358.resizedimage

637x358.resizedimage
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=226232991
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is where I went with my LC weapon. I think this is my best work by far. This ia only the color map I am triying to learn about cavity and other maps as well as learn how to merge them into an awesomeness. I still need to do lod1 by hand.
    Feel free to feedback.
    oVmgG5s.jpg
    7jWcOuZ.jpg
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys, is this colour scheme working for Riki?
    efsffer_by_julionicoletti-d75rz7t.png
  • Akaime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Akaime polycounter lvl 4
    belkun wrote: »
    Well, here's the NP set so far, just the staff left now!

bPYaynB.jpg

omg, that's so cute! I wanna squeeze this treant >.<
    would love to buy it!
  • Plant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu wrote: »
    belkun : Looks great man :)

the only change that I would maybe make is :the leafes on the "treant" ( they are a bit small/same size)

Could also add some color variance (Lighter / darker leaves) to break it up a bit(See prophets base shoulder)
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Plant wrote: »
    Could also add some color variance (Lighter / darker leaves) to break it up a bit(See prophets base shoulder)

I agree! I thought about that, but the leaves are around 4m polys for some stupid reason, and even though I planned to use polygroups to paint some color variation, I needed to do an autogroup, but since there are so many tris ZBrush just hangs. I'll see if I can work that out, if not, it can easily be done on the texturing stage.

Thanks for the suggestions!
  • MagnoHusein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Plant wrote: »

Also something something that you might want to add every time:

0M4SYoC.png

An overlay layer with gradient light grey (top) <----> (bottom) dark grey, adjust till looks good.

It improves alot the values in the texture, making it better readable/contrasting in game.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    @MagnoHusein

A LOT of people suggested that, haha! I like to do this later on Photoshop or 3DCoat, since ZBrush doesn't have blending modes or anything of the sort, making it a bit hard to paint details while keeping the gradient, so I find it much easier to just do it on the Diffuse texture instead of on Polypaint, which is not the final texture but just a base to help out the texture artist.

Thank you for the input! I'll definitely keep that image in mind.
  • Aris Atherton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do you make items for heroes that don't have items yet?
    For example, if I wanted to make a set for nightstalker, how would I know which items are allowed? Since there aren't any items currently for nightstalker, can I just make up its item slots? As opposed to making a set for Lone druid, where I know I can make a bracer, shoulder, back, head and weapon. Different heroes have items for some slots that some other heroes don't have slots for. Also, where can I find the models for the heroes that don't have items yet? They aren't on the technical requirements page.
    Also, how do I know what the technical requirements should be? eg. what each item's poly count should be and what the size of the item's textures should be. I posted this in the Steam workshop forum, but didn't get any useful replies. Any useful information about this would be helpful. Thanks.
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    @Aris Atherton

The short answer is that you don't.

The long answer is that you could put a lot of effort into something that may never be implemented so you are probably better off focusing on things that have workshop support. (Admittedly not much of a longer answer)
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Aris,
    Longer Answer:
    You can decompile heros. You'll have to google :D It's basically the same as all Valve stuff.

When you decompile you will get all the meshes a hero has (helmet, shoulders, etc..)
    I think you will only get the lod1 models (low poly in game).
    And you can extract the textures and convert to TGA.

Most likely Valve will eventually implement items for all characters (why would they not).
    And with the above files you will have all slots and texture sizes.
    Most likely the tri counts will be close to what you have (you can approximate high polys from looking at items for other characters that have similar lod1 tri counts to get the lod0 counts)
    Most likely the texture sizes will be the same (pretty much either 256x256 or 128x256)

You can rig items to those decompiled bones and import onto another character that allows those counts and texture sizes. Then over ride the meshes onto the correct character.
    But like Reyne said. Is it worth it? Will it ever be useable? Will they drastically change the slots tri count or character?
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Finally got around to starting this set, been meaning to get to it for months. Hoping to have it finished in a week or so. Concept by Zeidrich.

wE3GtWEU6HcymFjY
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    bounchfx wrote: »
    Finally got around to starting this set, been meaning to get to it for months. Hoping to have it finished in a week or so. Concept by Zeidrich.

wE3GtWEU6HcymFjY

finally something for shadow demon! nice one Bounch
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    How do you make items for heroes that don't have items

Keep in mind if a hero is not workshop compatible that the model may be redone before it is made workshop compatible.
  • bladeshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bladeshot polycounter lvl 5
    Hello everyone! I'm making set for PA with custom crit animation. Can somebody tell me how can I import animation in game? Do I need to compile mdl with animation included and put it in .vpk file? Thanks!
  • agito666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    happy valentines everyone who got GF or BF ( i know bladeshot got 1)

no need wish me because i still single :|
    here is 2 postcard-like i do for tumblr upon requests from someone. :)
    1017479_801917893157735_1997992894_n.jpg
    1622626_802210479795143_1175843452_n.jpg
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    What is happening lately with "loadingscreens" submissions is just hilarious... so many stolen artworks, reuploaded over and over again. What really pisses me off is that now I am not sure if fantastic looking image is made by uploaded or is just one more scam. I am really tired of digging all piece alone, searching their portfolio/deviantarts and so on just to verify if I can upvote art that I actually like or should I report it because it was stolen :/

I hope such people will be banned soon for good:
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/Keybal/myworkshopfiles/?appid=570&p=1
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    Konras wrote: »
    What is happening lately with "loadingscreens" submissions is just hilarious... so many stolen artworks, reuploaded over and over again. What really pisses me off is that now I am not sure if fantastic looking image is made by uploaded or is just one more scam. I am really tired of digging all piece alone, searching their portfolio/deviantarts and so on just to verify if I can upvote art that I actually like or should I report it because it was stolen :/

yeah, i feel ya. kinda had the same thoughts lately, its just annoying and basically just plain copyright infringement. should be punished more severly
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They probably need to institute a watermark function for uploaded load screens.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    well, the problem is that ppl just take artwork from all over the internet and put it on the workshop as loading screen, that they dont have any rights to the work they try to publish wont change with a watermark added or not. the community just needs to be weary and report those scammers straight away to prevent such fraud like activity
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    lel, for kicks and giggles I did a shitty recolor of venge to look like a skywrath and now reddit is battling over the idea of it going into the game.
    2J0vrcL.jpg

Good god someone decompile her model and let's do a vengeful spirit arcana for april fools day
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good god someone decompile her model and let's do a vengeful spirit arcana for april fools day

hahaha, Lets do it!!!!!!
  • Akaime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Akaime polycounter lvl 4
    that would be so epic. She has a touching lore :)
  • QuadWrangler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UV'd, normalmaps and occlusion baked :) - next stop, rigging...:(

ward01_02.jpg

ward01_01.jpg
  • Chemical Alia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
    Drysocket and I just finished our latest Bounty Hunter set, for team Na'Vi. Here's some shots of it, as well as some promo art c:

promo_border_by_chemicalalia-d74vgv7.png

loadingscreen_nologo_small_by_chemicalalia-d74vgvt.png

turnaround_by_chemicalalia-d74vguo.png

bh_high_by_chemicalalia-d74vgwu.png
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Great sculpts! Really like the backpack and hip-plate in particular. Awesome stuff you two!
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drysocket and I just finished our latest Bounty Hunter set, for team Na'Vi. Here's some shots of it, as well as some promo art c:

Turned out great fantastic work!
  • Drywall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks you guys! Bounch that Shadow Demon set up at the top of the page is pretty great, looking forward to that one :D
  • Chemical Alia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks! That means a lot to us, glad you like it!
  • Lachance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lachance polycounter lvl 5
    Hahaha, that 'Carry Me' art of venge+sky is awesome
  • agito666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lachance wrote: »
    Hahaha, that 'Carry Me' art of venge+sky is awesome

hehe, thanks :)
  • QuadWrangler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick question - (i'm not able to get near the steam client for a bit!) - does anyone know what the bone limit is for wards?

if i have a rough idea then i can start working on a rig...
  • Aris Atherton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, thanks to everyone who answered my question about the heroes without items. I probably won't do it then, if it'll be a lot of work with a low probability of being implemented. Thanks.
  • Gaiascope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaiascope polycounter lvl 4
    quick question - (i'm not able to get near the steam client for a bit!) - does anyone know what the bone limit is for wards?

if i have a rough idea then i can start working on a rig...

Any NPC has a bone limit of 52, including wards. So I dont think you have to worry about going over that.

Its been a while since I was in here. Damn... so much awesome work being posted! Even with a week of absence I feel like I fell so far behind! Time to get back to work!
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really cool Chemical Alia! I love the weapons and the textures came out super sharp and crispy :)
  • QuadWrangler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks! didnt realise they'd have the same as a courier - means i dont have to worry about going over the limit :)
    Gaiascope wrote: »
    Any NPC has a bone limit of 52, including wards. So I dont think you have to worry about going over that.

Its been a while since I was in here. Damn... so much awesome work being posted! Even with a week of absence I feel like I fell so far behind! Time to get back to work!
  • danjohncox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danjohncox polycounter lvl 7
    Up to date version of my Shadow Demon Set.

YGOM9a2.jpg

However, I'm curious for some advice from you folks. Bounch is making a set that is, i think, empirically better than mine. He's also got a big following and Valve doesn't tend to put 2 sets into the store at the same time (i may be totally mistaken). My worry is that finishing this now and putting it next to his will only ensure this set gets no where. Should I just say fuck it and finish it now? Or maybe let pragmatism rule out and wait till after Bounch releases his.
    To be clear, I love what he's making and I love the competition, this reveals to me some serious weaknesses my piece has (apart from the fact that I've just found the shoulders need an adjustment due to animation). But I just feel like I'd be throwing it out there to get a tko in the ring when I could just wait. I'm sure you've all dealt with this, what do you think? I'd love your input too Bounch! :P
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bladeshot wrote: »
    Hello everyone! I'm making set for PA with custom crit animation. Can somebody tell me how can I import animation in game? Do I need to compile mdl with animation included and put it in .vpk file? Thanks!
    its not easy, this is the way i know
    • you need to decompress the game
    • decompile the model
    • create the controlers for the boes
    • animate
    • export as smd
    • compile all the model again with the new animation
    Konras wrote: »

totally agree with you, that bothers me a lot

the ui on the loading screen should have some copyright notices warning people that they can receive SEVERE PUNISHMENT for uploading things that they didnt make

really nice sculpts you have there =]

loved the work

guys, i finished a weapon with custom particles for the monthly contest (sorry for the crosspost)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=226791051

F570EAFCEA6B13143EE1BB86804AC828619FA012

14CA3FF1265A9B0F7DF9446C23D649C6F9B84F3E

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IIF_EDunVk&quot;]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IIF_EDunVk[/ame]
  • agito666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »

dang that is nice relic OwO
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow - REALLY nice sword there Tvidotto. Amazing idea and execution!
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn Tvidotto! Nice one!
  • agito666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tEpZO5z.jpg

meanwhile still doing concept for WK, here's the sword.
    using Spade as base theme. (other 3 still working in brain)
    lower one i not really sure want to simplify the pattern for the tip or not
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Freaking love that relic blade, such a great design, way "out of the box". This opens a huge lot of potential - very well done !! I hope there will be some kind of breakdown on how you achieved the effect !
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Freaking love that relic blade, such a great design, way "out of the box". This opens a huge lot of potential - very well done !! I hope there will be some kind of breakdown on how you achieved the effect !

yay! thanks

im planning to do a series of quick tutorials in video, i think i could cover a little of particles. I dont know much, its really hard to work with particles to be honest... its a fail 90% of the time...