Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• RaYfIre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt wrote: »
    that depends on whether or not you can move/rotate the pivot point of your model in blender. if so, just align it with the pivot of the bone you're skinning to
    so i moved the pivot to the center 0,0,0 and also the rotation 0,0,0 and scale 1,1,1.ok then i re-positioned it in edit mode ...so tat how it looks image 2.Then linked it to the bone in image three
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8
    kind of hard to see because the bone isn't visible in the first two images, but does the pivot of your sword have the same orientation (rotation) as the bone?
    other that that I wouldn't know what is wrong, sorry i'm new at this as well
  • RaYfIre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the bone is exactly where it was when i imported it ,bone is also at 0,0,0 rotation 0,0,0 etc..i linked it to the sword ...and it works fine if i rotate the bone or move it..
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Thought I'd show you guys how I'm going, any feedback would be great :D

25.jpg

Textures still very WIP, of course :)
  • Qwiggalo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Qwiggalo polycounter lvl 8
    Zuks wrote: »
    Downloading SFM atm, will try to make something to make my model justice.
    Or might try a render, but the normal doesnt appear to be working on max last time i tried, it does a slight bump nothing major.
    could also use the high poly.

i shall decide after the results but ill follow ur advice.

We used http://www.p3d.in/ for our Windrunner bow and it's a very nice solution IMO. For your display images I just think you need to save your image correctly. Make sure you JPG compression is set to it's highest quality setting.
  • kragniz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eleryn wrote: »
    I really like it! It's an awesome new hair style...A hair style is something I havn't been able to come up with for my Lanaya set, this is great! I think maybe the braid could be thicker, but apart from that, it's nice!

Thanks! The braid bit will be pretty much exactly the same length and thickness as the default lanaya hair, to help with skining.

It looks nice. Are you going to add cloth effects to the pink dangly bit? I think you should make the scarf and the pink dangly bit match (colour and thickness). You could also make the scarf flow behind her, something like this:

Mj6gm.png
  • Largs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would like to put her with an epic infernal background, that's just a test I'm learning
    how to render, to put on the workshop, I couldn't put the particles so I made photoshop
    "magic" hahah
    render1.jpg
    it's very dark, it was intentional but I think.. you can't see the items details =S
  • fierce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=88070598

i made my submission

any suggestions to make it better?
  • kragniz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fierce wrote: »
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=88070598

i made my submission

any suggestions to make it better?

Just a thought, this item is very unlikely to enter the game. It's technically quite good, but you should focus much more on your next items fitting the game's art style and universe.
  • Zuks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Qwiggalo wrote: »
    We used http://www.p3d.in/ for our Windrunner bow and it's a very nice solution IMO. For your display images I just think you need to save your image correctly. Make sure you JPG compression is set to it's highest quality setting.

nice website. Thanks a lot.
    was using windows Snipping tool xD
    updated with better pictures
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=87964096
  • Echelons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick question for those who are working with Blender or have the know how, I'm working on a shuriken for Bounty Hunter and can't get it to appear in the game compiler. The compile is successful but I can't see my item. I've exported it in the fbx format with the bone from the shuriken model and another time with the bone from the hero model itself. Any suggestions for a fix?
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone polycounter lvl 5
  • Nemozini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Echelons wrote: »
    Quick question for those who are working with Blender or have the know how, I'm working on a shuriken for Bounty Hunter and can't get it to appear in the game compiler. The compile is successful but I can't see my item. I've exported it in the fbx format with the bone from the shuriken model and another time with the bone from the hero model itself. Any suggestions for a fix?

Trying to work with this new tool , no luck.
    Made a simple Arrow like bow just to check direction and alignment.
    Here is how it looks in the workshop tool and in blender.

5EavZ.png
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone polycounter lvl 5
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9

Its looking really good, almost like it was an original set =]

@crazyone - yours is looking really good too

how is you planning to rig it? are you planning to let the leg bones influence it?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    kragniz wrote: »
    It looks nice. Are you going to add cloth effects to the pink dangly bit? I think you should make the scarf and the pink dangly bit match (colour and thickness). You could also make the scarf flow behind her, something like this:

You're too good at concepts!

I am doing that, almost exactly. The problem I had though is that it'll look funny if you have the default hair equipped with these shoulders. I might make it part of the hair, I'm not sure yet :D
  • RaYfIre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HUIGc.jpg
    Xu5Te.jpg
    sAegv.jpg
    eWqVe.jpg
    ngsUU.jpg
    V7hJ8.jpg
    Hey Guys What do u think ?.
  • Qwiggalo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's very sloppy. At least integrate those horns and spikes into the pieces if you plan on any type of seamlessness in the texture in those areas.

The spikes on the shoulder are just 3 sided pyramids? I wouldn't go any lower than 5 on spikes that large.

The sawblade has this quadsymmetry going on and it looks bad. Either make all the spikes face in a non-symmetrical angle or make it an appealing pattern.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    26.jpg

I really like your idea, kragniz. I added it. I used your design because I loved it so much, but I can change it if you wish, I'll understand. It looks a lot better with a tailing scarf though! :)
  • Nuniez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today i will detail and retopo it
    hVxbZ.jpg
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Started on a new thing. This one's something for me. I really want to use this in-game myself. I did a test, and attaching a hat to her works just fine with a bit of extra skinning to prevent clipping with the hair.

I got a good crit from a friend of mine that the first wip's wrinkles looked like loose skin folds rather than fabric so I reworked it and got the following.

WIP1

[IMG]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2184332/WIP Images/Dota2/LinaHat2.jpg[/IMG]
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Love it Frump!
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, Frump. That is totally going to kick butt. Just make sure to match her color scheme and you are golden.
  • Largs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Should I submit or do I need to correct something?
    showcase.jpg
    render5.png
  • Jalcober
  • Nuniez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i will redo it, just tested i lil bit with painting

GNU3j.jpg
  • kragniz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SinAmos wrote: »
    match her color scheme and you are golden.

I see what you did there.

Also, awesome hat!
  • Largs
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    Can someone give me a bit of help with this? Its probably a question which has been already answered a million times but can't figure the problem.

So, I made a mace for Ogre Magi, I probably won't submit it because this was my first model oriented to Steam Workshop and its just a learning proccess to know how to submit properly.(Still trying to figure how to work with the _masks etc).

As you can see in this image http://i.imgur.com/glY12.jpg I imported the .FBX to workshop, but I dont know why the mace is looking like that, I skinned it to the root bone and also to the weapon_3 bone(same as the default weapon), when testing it on 3ds it works just perfect.(Tried it with all the animations on Ogre Magi and it moves correctly) but I can't make it pose well, anybody knows what I'm doing wrong?.

PD: Must say that it's the first time I try to skin something in my life.

Thanks for the help in advance, this thread is awesome by the way!
  • Largs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus wrote: »
    Can someone give me a bit of help with this? Its probably a question which has been already answered a million times but can't figure the problem.

So, I made a mace for Ogre Magi, I probably won't submit it because this was my first model oriented to Steam Workshop and its just a learning proccess to know how to submit properly.(Still trying to figure how to work with the _masks etc).

As you can see in this image http://i.imgur.com/glY12.jpg I imported the .FBX to workshop, but I dont know why the mace is looking like that, I skinned it to the root bone and also to the weapon_3 bone(same as the default weapon), when testing it on 3ds it works just perfect.(Tried it with all the animations on Ogre Magi and it moves correctly) but I can't make it pose well, anybody knows what I'm doing wrong?.

I think you should work on it and submit, why not?!
    soo there's some guys explaining that on the earlier posts, what I made (it was my first time too), I adjusted the position a little then compiled and test,till it fits perfectly I know there is easier ways, but what I did, worked :D
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not going to submit it(at least soon) because I had some UV's problems, some newbie mistakes, etc, and I dont like to submit work which isn't done correctly. For submitting it I have to remap it and that means re-working the texture, and im not in the mood to re-work that again, I prefer to start another item :D

About you're answer, I dont understand what you mean, where do I have to adjust the position? Shouldn't the weapon place itself at the hand in the Dota 2 in-game viewer?. I think I skinned it correctly because it works flawlessly in 3dsmax.
  • Qwiggalo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Don't bind it to the root, only the weapon joint. Weapons that aren't bows or flexible have one joint.
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Qwiggalo : Will definetely try that as soon as I can, I bound it to the root because I saw that the default weapon that the Ogre Magi comes with has both Root and Weapon_3 bones.(Even thought with my lesser knowledge about this matter, I think it has Root with weight 0)
  • Binary Colour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was wondering if i could get some help, i have made a sword for juggernaut but i cannot seem to get the thing to properly align itself with the model. I am not sure whats going on and its probably some noob mistake on my part i was wondering if anything with more experience could maybe figure out whats wrong and explain to me how to fix it.

This is the image of the sword when i import it with the new tools
    NjkjT.png

no matter what i do from changing the position to different sizes seem to do anything. My guess is it has to do with parenting to the bone because i possibly am doing it wrong.

Any help would be very appreciated
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8
    just uploaded an update to my juggernaut sword

previewes.jpg

preview2d.jpg

workshop page:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=87732087

feedback very much appreciated

also, I have yet to figure out how to properly get an SMD file working in the engine, along with jiggle bones for the chain with the stuff on the rope.

texture to be updated soon, the thing dangling on the chain is still unfinished
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Qwiggalo : I tried what you said and just skinned the weapon to the 'weapon3_0' bone instead of both weapon3 and root, but it still looks wrong on the Importer Viewer, here's a pic.

http://i.imgur.com/AyI6b.jpg , any ideas?(Thanks for trying to help :D)
  • Qwiggalo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Qwiggalo : I tried what you said and just skinned the weapon to the 'weapon3_0' bone instead of both weapon3 and root, but it still looks wrong on the Importer Viewer, here's a pic.

http://i.imgur.com/AyI6b.jpg , any ideas?(Thanks for trying to help :D)

Did you freeze transforms before binding it?

If not, delete all history and freeze transforms (If not using Maya I'm not sure what other programs call this, but non-frozen transforms means there's numbers other than 0 in xyz rotate and position and anything but 1 in scale... and history is any modifier you put on to make the model or operation that was performed like adding a bevel to an edge, when you delete history it removes that operation and makes the item just a poly object)
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just tried that (Alt + Click -> Freeze Transform, thats it, right?). But keeps doing the same wrong thing.

I think what you mean in 3dsmax is Reset XForm, which sets all the scaling rotating and so as "default" for the object.

Did that, I read somewhere that object pivot has to be in 0,0,0, did that too, freeze transform, then applied skin modifier, weighted the weapon to the weapon3_0 bone, exported as .fbx loaded into workshop and it's still wrong.

Does it matter the pose that im using for weighting it? Im using the BindPose.smd as I asummed this was the correct one.
  • Qwiggalo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just tried that (Alt + Click -> Freeze Transform, thats it, right?). But keeps doing the same wrong thing.

I think what you mean in 3dsmax is Reset XForm, which sets all the scaling rotating and so as "default" for the object.

Did that, I read somewhere that object pivot has to be in 0,0,0, did that too, freeze transform, then applied skin modifier, weighted the weapon to the weapon3_0 bone, exported as .fbx loaded into workshop and it's still wrong.

Does it matter the pose that im using for weighting it? Im using the BindPose.smd as I asummed this was the correct one.
    Might be bugged maybe. I could try it in Maya if you want to send me the 3ds file, you don't need to send me a texture though. You can email me it at [email]white.matt86 (at) gmail.com[/email]
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Make sure your weapon is aligned correctly in max, and simply use the link tool to link weapon mesh -> bone. Then select both the weapon and the bone and export selected.

This works for me with Axe.
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay okay okay, that worked lenny! :D No I have it properly placed in the In-game viewer !!! ^^ - Thanks everyone for the help!!!. Btw, is this method correct for submitting it to the workshop?

PD: Now I have a small problem that isn't a problem at all because it looks good too, but the mace isn't placed exactly as I want.(I modeled it with the hand closer to the handle of the mace). But in the in-game viewer its grabbing it from farther and it goes throught the chest a bit when idleing. Any ideas? :D
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Largs wrote: »
    Should I submit or do I need to correct something?

Hey Largs

how is the hair with the animation, did you test it? im worried of it entering the body mesh
  • Largs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    Hey Largs

how is the hair with the animation, did you test it? im worried of it entering the body mesh

I changed the jigglebones setting so the bones linked to the base were harder, but today I saw in game items, there's a Axe cosmetic head , that's always inside axe's body, I will work a little more on that tomorrow.
    Thank you man
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay okay okay, that worked lenny! :D No I have it properly placed in the In-game viewer !!! ^^ - Thanks everyone for the help!!!. Btw, is this method correct for submitting it to the workshop

I'm yet to submit but i will use this method for single bone effected objects when i do or hear otherwise :)
    PD: Now I have a small problem that isn't a problem at all because it looks good too, but the mace isn't placed exactly as I want.(I modeled it with the hand closer to the handle of the mace). But in the in-game viewer its grabbing it from farther and it goes throught the chest a bit when idleing. Any ideas? :D

You can adjust the position inside of max. Break the link on your mace, reposition, reset xform in the new position, relink and re export.
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That worked lenny, thank you very much :D Its hard to understand the workshop workflow at the start, so complex :P
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Largs wrote: »
    I changed the jigglebones setting so the bones linked to the base were harder, but today I saw in game items, there's a Axe cosmetic head , that's always inside axe's body, I will work a little more on that tomorrow.
    Thank you man

dont let others mistake blind you =]

did you tried skinning with the spine bones too?
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    8NAin.png

Got my first item into the game all working and nice, going to wait until I finish my set until I publish it.

I spent a lot of time looking over people's comments in this thread and it helped a LOT with all of my problems so thank you everyone :)
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Grat stuff everyone..
    Doing my Bachelor Thesis.. this some break modeling ;)
    Decided to make a set for the Tidehunter - tentacle king -
    here some first wips ;)

TentacleKing_wip.png
  • Largs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    dont let others mistake blind you =]

did you tried skinning with the spine bones too?

No, I'll work on it, you are right, I just sent to workshop so it can be judged already but today I'll completely work on that glitches
    :D BTW thanks man you're always helping me
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone knows any tutorial or guide to help me understand the _mask1 and _mask2 usage? I tried searching on SDK Index and everywhere but can't find anything that helps, and its a bit hard for me to understand just by trial and error.