Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• RaYfIre
  • betasector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

I might have missed this part, but are we supposed to weight the stuff? I mean, I parented the weapon to its corresponding bone, but if I try to weight it to all the bones (Drow Bow), it won't import in nicely. This is not so problematic with a bow, cos its looking fine in the preview (I guess they will weight it), but for the clothing, I cant do a nice preview in-game unless I can import them in nicely.

So, any tips on weighting?
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Eleryn wrote: »
    I've also been drawing a concept for another set for Lanaya. I'd love some feedback now (it's a lot easier to make changes here!)

concept3.jpg

I'm not 100% sure on the scarf, but...

The basic design is cool but you should try to exaggerate the basic shapes and punch them out. Make everything chunky and have a noticeable silhouette. The really small pieces you have on there on the forearm and shoulder don't seem like they'll be very visible from game cam. You could also add a bunch of damage to the armor like cracks or scratches.

Here's a helpful image about exaggeration.
    functionality.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I took a look in game at what level you can see her current gear.

Zoomed in and out.

The top of her shoulder pads are the most visible part (obviously) but her bracers and skirt are visible too, moreso at certain angles however.

Damage I'll add when it comes to texturing, don't worry :P

concept4.jpg

Some small changes, but I hope that'll enhance the general shape of it.
  • PrOOf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone. Need help. I try to compile my axe, the model was atached to the bone axe_1, but in game it looks like as on the second image. What i do wrong? Textures are still WIP.

axe2.bmp
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    That is something I just dealt with.

I found that exporting from your program into a .SMD doesn't work, and that is the result. Exporting to a FBX file should work.
  • PrOOf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eleryn wrote: »
    That is something I just dealt with.

I found that exporting from your program into a .SMD doesn't work, and that is the result. Exporting to a FBX file should work.

Great thanks, it works.
  • betasector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, this is not even funny anymore. I tried to import the original game files back, with their rig and skinning + geometry, the only thing i changed is that i added my own textures, since i didnt want to decompile those too. And this is what happened: (attached)

If the originals are messed up (both SMD and FBX do this), then how am i supposed to skin the stuff?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    betasector wrote: »
    Ok, this is not even funny anymore. I tried to import the original game files back, with their rig and skinning + geometry, the only thing i changed is that i added my own textures, since i didnt want to decompile those too. And this is what happened: (attached)

If the originals are messed up (both SMD and FBX do this), then how am i supposed to skin the stuff?

my suggestion for you keep starting from the beggining, maybe you are missing something like cleaning your files history before exporting or not skinning properly

and i really know what you say about beeing not so funny, the compiling process for a courier was painful.

but the models on drow works, dont give up =]
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PrOOf wrote: »
    Hello everyone. Need help. I try to compile my axe, the model was atached to the bone axe_1, but in game it looks like as on the second image. What i do wrong? Textures are still WIP.

im not sure about that, but based on the position of the axe staying flat on the for it appears a skinning problem, like its not recognizing yours axe bone as the on it should be using
  • betasector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is nothing to clean, i simply decompile the legs, then put them back in the game and they dont compile back :D
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i wasnt recognizing that were the legs =]

im using my Dota Test with all the files decompiled, i deleted the pak file and left just the decompiled ones and is still working
  • betasector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is that Dota Test you speak of? Oh mighty, share your knowledge! Unless you are using the built in stuff which shows a preview after compiling.
  • Nemozini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So you decompiled legs from MDL to SMD , then used new workshop tool with these SMDs?
  • Largs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    i wasnt recognizing that were the legs =]

im using my Dota Test with all the files decompiled, i deleted the pak file and left just the decompiled ones and is still working

So you delete the .vpk and capy everything to steamapps/common/dota 2 test/
    replacing the original items with your custom with the same name?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @betascetor Dota test is another game that you can download if you have dota2, on steam library you can see it to download

its same game but you dont connect to your steam account or something like this, you can explode everything you want without been accused of cheating by valve =]

the problem with testing in game is that every time you compile you need to close the game and restart it because every time the game starts it compile some models and textures in a fewer pieces and you cant undo that, just restarting the game

to see you model you can use the modelviewer that comes with the sdks
    the sfm sdk works but dont accept the CustonHero shader, so you need to use the vertexlit one that does not support normalmap and the mask1 and mask2

the alienswarm sdk is the best that i tested, it supports the shader and the maps

using the modelviewer you can choose the animation you want to test

@Largs - exactly that, but you need to use as a custom item because you dont have the options to choose
    in my case, the donkey is on models/prop_gameplay/donkey.smd and i deleted it and renamed my sillydragon to donkey and did all the needed chages in the qc file and reference of the textures
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    custom item i mean the default item
  • betasector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest stupidity:

550*275 is not power of two, try 512*256, then when i do that, it says that the width is too small, target width is 550, now what?
  • betasector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the last time i do anything different than a simple headgear or a weapon, this is starting to be a nightmare. Seriously, if I use a power of two texture, it is not good. If i use the size it will be resized anyway, it is not power of two. heh
  • betasector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the heads up on the Dota test :)
  • Largs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @betascetor Dota test is another game that you can download if you have dota2, on steam library you can see it to download

its same game but you dont connect to your steam account or something like this, you can explode everything you want without been accused of cheating by valve =]

the problem with testing in game is that every time you compile you need to close the game and restart it because every time the game starts it compile some models and textures in a fewer pieces and you cant undo that, just restarting the game

to see you model you can use the modelviewer that comes with the sdks
    the sfm sdk works but dont accept the CustonHero shader, so you need to use the vertexlit one that does not support normalmap and the mask1 and mask2

the alienswarm sdk is the best that i tested, it supports the shader and the maps

using the modelviewer you can choose the animation you want to test

@Largs - exactly that, but you need to use as a custom item because you dont have the options to choose
    in my case, the donkey is on models/prop_gameplay/donkey.smd and i deleted it and renamed my sillydragon to donkey and did all the needed chages in the qc file and reference of the textures

I tried it, but QoP doesn't have items yet, so there is no option for that, then I replaced my custom item with her original hair, when I tested it she was bald :poly124: , then I tried change CustomHero to VertexLitGeneric as cybormatt says in source filmmaker then everything was ugly on game I could only see silhouettes, sooo I deleted everything and I'm downloading dota2test again :\
  • Nubleet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So ive been working on a shield for Dragon knight ( yes i know theirs already heaps of them, but i figured why not :D )

sBsRx.png

so far hasn't been going too bad however, I have kind of hit a brick wall when it comes to improving the textures, spent couple of hours and didn't get anywhere. Thought maybe it would be better to get some peoples opinions on it before continuing.

Thanks
    Nub
  • Largs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any tips on how to improve it?
    Blender.jpgBlender2.jpg
    Blender3.jpgBlender4.jpg
    The orb on viper's mouth isn't worked yet(ideas are welcome, I'm thinking on something like furion's custom staffs with some light)
  • Zeldrak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrak polycounter lvl 8
    having an emissive map on that tiny sphere in her mouth could turn it into awesomeness. I like the model so far, the textures seem ok as well, but the texture seems to have too much noise. Is that LoD0? So far looks good, so i can't wait to see more :)
  • Largs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrak wrote: »
    having an emissive map on that tiny sphere in her mouth could turn it into awesomeness. I like the model so far, the textures seem ok as well, but the texture seems to have too much noise. Is that LoD0? So far looks good, so i can't wait to see more :)

About the noise is on a different layer(on .psd), and I'm willing to use it only as specular map, it's lod0 and lod1 cause it has just 295polly
    thanks for the feedback
  • feracon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I'm having a hell of a time getting my specular map to show up in the engine. If anyone has information on where to plug the mask2 texture into Maya shader before exporting FBX it'd be very helpful!

This is my thread for this issue:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1639553#post1639553

Thanks, and great work everyone!
  • lancemaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cant delet this ..
  • lancemaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Largs wrote: »
    About the noise is on a different layer(on .psd), and I'm willing to use it only as specular map, it's lod0 and lod1 cause it has just 295polly
    thanks for the feedback

idont think plugin it on maya will change anything on the compiling process. my model is having the same issue, i have the flat color map showing only. I cant really tell if the normal map were aplyed. I dont belive u can atach the mask map on maya the way it is, since its made specificly to valve. But, you can make a grayscale map to use on you specular shading menu. Using specular maps in maya is kind of tricky. I coud never figure out whats the wright way to use it, from what i read u need a grayscaled map, and the same map inverted and then plug the maps on specific places. but i think it is a waste of time. We need to figure out why its not showing on the dota viewer.
  • Largs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lancemaker wrote: »
    idont think plugin it on maya will change anything on the compiling process. my model is having the same issue, i have the flat color map showing only. I cant really tell if the normal map were aplyed. I dont belive u can atach the mask map on maya the way it is, since its made specificly to valve. But, you can make a grayscale map to use on you specular shading menu. Using specular maps in maya is kind of tricky. I coud never figure out whats the wright way to use it, from what i read u need a grayscaled map, and the same map inverted and then plug the maps on specific places. but i think it is a waste of time. We need to figure out why its not showing on the dota viewer.

Humm I'm using blender, so my noise layer(on photoshop)will be on the red channel of mask2, and before that patch that came with a compiler my model had spec mask =S, but I can't tell you now, cause the new compiler doesn't got Queen Of Pain support =S
  • neozerahan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,
    This is my first model for Dota 2 workshop so went easy with my concept. Please check it out and let me know how it is. I have finished modelling and texturing the stuff. Only the final compilation is left.

Thank you,
    Zain
  • Archimedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @neozerahan

I can dig it, the color is great. I would name it something that plays upon the themes Juggernaut is based, or some of his lines from ingame. "Wandering Blade" or "Curved Cutter of the Lost". Scimitar of Awesomeness is a bit literal XD
  • Xpload
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have trouble positioning a sword in juggernaut's hand. I'm positioning it exactly over his one on the reference and exporting to FBX in maya.

EDIT: wrong bone my bad. It's working now :)
  • Archimedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xpload wrote: »
    I have trouble positioning a sword in juggernaut's hand. I'm positioning it exactly over his one on the reference and exporting to FBX in maya.

You have to make sure to go to the animations menu set and from the "skin" dropdown menu, you smooth bind the sword to the hand bone on juggernaut's model. Make sure you also export that bone along with the model to .fbx.
  • crazyone
  • Taz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taz
    @crazyone - That is just pure awesome. nice work :)

If anyone from Australia, New Zealand, India, Japan, South East Asia need a beta key you can grab one from here.

http://www.alienwarearena.com/giveaway/dota-2-closed-beta-key-giveaway/

Just sign up for an account and they'll send you a code.
    There's 235 left ;)
  • neozerahan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CRAZYONE- AWESOME AXE BRO....can u pls explain me how did test the weapon..i mean i checked out the video link and its epic...can u explain me how did u do that??
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone polycounter lvl 5
    neozerahan wrote: »
    CRAZYONE- AWESOME AXE BRO....can u pls explain me how did test the weapon..i mean i checked out the video link and its epic...can u explain me how did u do that??

yeah sure, just follow this guide http://wyksblog.com/getting-started-dota-2-cosmetics/

1) Export original weapon from a hero you need (into SMD format)
    2) Import it into a 3D program (like 3ds max)
    3) attach your model to the same bone (as the original weapon)
    4) delete the original and attach texture in 3ds max to your model
    5) and export your model in SMD formal
    6) the follow the guide ( http://wyksblog.com/getting-started-dota-2-cosmetics/ ) to compile your model to MDL format

Try to open original SMD file in TXT format to understand how textures are attached to models and do the same thing with yours
  • Nubleet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shield isnt perfect but im not sure i will ever be able to get it perfect so i uploaded to workshop.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=86834752

Please go Rate & Comment, im willing to make changes :D
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    so basically you're spamming the workshop with unfinished crap ;)

seriously i think, but maybe i'm alone with that oppinion, the workshop isn't there to just fill it with random unfinished stuff, give it some polish, work on t he texture, is it even normalmapped and stuff? it does look quite flat overall.
  • betasector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have done a sword for Juggernaut, the importer/compiler worked, I could even position the stuff, but when i ty to submit... (2nd image).

Any tips on that?

"Could not prepare content file."
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Largs wrote: »
    I tried it, but QoP doesn't have items yet, so there is no option for that, then I replaced my custom item with her original hair, when I tested it she was bald :poly124: , then I tried change CustomHero to VertexLitGeneric as cybormatt says in source filmmaker then everything was ugly on game I could only see silhouettes, sooo I deleted everything and I'm downloading dota2test again :\
    The vertex lit is just for the sfm that cant handle the custom hero shader
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    so basically you're spamming the workshop with unfinished crap ;)

seriously i think, but maybe i'm alone with that oppinion, the workshop isn't there to just fill it with random unfinished stuff, give it some polish, work on t he texture, is it even normalmapped and stuff? it does look quite flat overall.

As far as i know one of the rules of the workshop is: do not submit WIP itens.
    But people like to ignore it sometimes
  • Archimedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am still puzzling over how to add transparency to my lens, i tried coloring 50% opacity grey into the alpha channel over the lens UVs, and saved it in 32bit, but to no effect. Where am i going wrong?
  • Largs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The vertex lit is just for the sfm that cant handle the custom hero shader

Any clue why my custom head was invisible?
  • Largs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still working on my queen of pain's set, give your opnions about the dagger:
    forum.jpg
    (I'll make that dagger orb look the same as the orb on the shoulder)
    planning to make it spin on its axis, When qop is holding it the blade spin(red part), when it's on the back(during shadow strike), the base spins and the blade remain still
  • damio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys. I'm currently making some items for dota2, but i have some problems with the textures. If any texture artist is interested in some work, let me know :)

Hpyda.jpg

hDOKO.jpg
  • betasector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damio, have you tried doing boots or something? Did you skin anything yet? Just asking because nobody helps with that :(
  • neozerahan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome model Damio.

how the hell are you guys getting the weapons fixed with model. When i skin it with the bone it floats in the air and it seems only sme parts of the model aare attached..Pleas hellp me...i have attached a screenshot....
  • Largs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neozerahan wrote: »
    awesome model Damio.

how the hell are you guys getting the weapons fixed with model. When i skin it with the bone it floats in the air and it seems only sme parts of the model aare attached..Pleas hellp me...i have attached a screenshot....

lol same problem but I'm trying change the position of my weapon all the time and compiling and testing