Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Xpload
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Position your sword over the one from the juggernaut reference. Then select only sword1 bone and unparent it. Then hide/remove the reference so only sword1 bone and your mesh are left in the scene. Delete history and freeze transformations. Smooth bind and weight paint the mesh with the sword1 bone. Export to FBX and everything should be fine.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I actually found that I had to move my sword over the root bone, not over the original sword. No idea why, I just kept ajusting it till it looked right :)
  • Largs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eleryn wrote: »
    I actually found that I had to move my sword over the root bone, not over the original sword. No idea why, I just kept ajusting it till it looked right :)

me too hahahaha
  • fierce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i imported my fbx into the client but i can't seem to get the reflections and shadows right

are there any tips?

i used a blank normal map but i thought if you just did a detailed hand painted texture, you could get away with it
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    fierce wrote: »
    i imported my fbx into the client but i can't seem to get the reflections and shadows right

are there any tips?

i used a blank normal map but i thought if you just did a detailed hand painted texture, you could get away with it

its more likely your _mask1 or _mask2

copyed straight from the official dota2 art guide

"Alpha is the self-illumination mask, where the color is drawn from Color texture. Even if you are not using this, fill with a NON-BLACK color. This is done in order for texture compiler to keep this channel. If it is black it will be thrown out and the shader will think it's pure white and your item will be full bright."
  • Nubleet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    so basically you're spamming the workshop with unfinished crap ;)

seriously i think, but maybe i'm alone with that oppinion, the workshop isn't there to just fill it with random unfinished stuff, give it some polish, work on t he texture, is it even normalmapped and stuff? it does look quite flat overall.

I'm not spamming It with unfinished work, by saying that It isn't perfect I meant I'm willing to update it if people make any suggestions sorry if that wasnt clear :D
    Also I think I normal mapped it? I used the bake normals function in blender and used that as the normals, maybe I did it wrong?
  • betasector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xpload wrote: »
    Position your sword over the one from the juggernaut reference. Then select only sword1 bone and unparent it. Then hide/remove the reference so only sword1 bone and your mesh are left in the scene. Delete history and freeze transformations. Smooth bind and weight paint the mesh with the sword1 bone. Export to FBX and everything should be fine.

Yes, ideally that would be right, but whatever I tried with the exporter, Y up X up or Z up, it never works, I usually have to flip the weapons or entirely change the direction. Also, if I try to do a legging or a boot, or a bow for eg. and I skin the model to its bones correctly, export it out, then import into dota, it just jumbles the faces all around the model.

Also, am I the only one who noticed that the originally released reference models have no bones? I mean, they give us reference models which are not useful to anyone, and give us an importer (compiler) which screws up the info anyway? Why bother with releasing references when we have to decompile anyway?

I also tried this->
    -decompile root
    -decompile drow boots
    -launch dota
    -publish new item -> legs -> drow boots (original, decompiled stuff)
    -the imported (compiled) boots are placed all over the place

If this happens, how do they expect us to skin our stuff correctly?

Othet than that, when I tried to upload my Juggernaut sword, everything goes fine, until the submit screen where it says that the client could not prepare the content file, and gives me no more options/info on why. I tried renaming everything, resizing textures to smaller, shortened the directory name, moved the stuff to C:/, even checked the .zip the compiler created, and compared it to previously submitted files, and everything looks correct.

Also, I wanted to do a weapon for Faceless, and guess what (yes, somebody also noticed and I saw comments on this here), it says the polycount is 0. So, what? They want a point cloud? :D

Also, how the frak do you guys come up with shit like that (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=86728317&searchtext=), if the poly limit is so damn low? Or am I missing something? Is this the bigger Lod weapon?

Anyway, its still a nice thing that we can contribute, and I know its just beta, and I am using Blender, but still, why is this so DAMN HARD to get done?

As you can see from my comment, I am either an idiot and missed something out, or just struggling as you guys are. But damn, we seriously need a coherent step-by-step article/tutorial on this, and I WILL DO THAT whenever I CAN FINALLY FIND OUT how this sh*t works.
  • ArchoX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nubleet wrote: »
    Also I think I normal mapped it? I used the bake normals function in blender and used that as the normals, maybe I did it wrong?

I think you dont know what normal map is supposed to do and how. You need some high poly details on your model to normal map them to your low poly one. If you normal map the low poly it will do nothing.

PS: Anyone succeed in exporting model in .FBX suffix with working lightings in preview?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    What kind of lighting do you mean?

I mean, this seems to be fine, so I guess I have?
  • ArchoX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah yours looks pretty good. Can I see your masks and how YOU made them? Thanks very much.
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone polycounter lvl 5
    fast concept of a shield for Chaos knigh (it's going to be darker)
    shshk.jpg
    Whta do you guys think ?
  • betasector
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I just checked out the in-game compiler again, they added two new buttons in the peeview window, that do this:

newpreview.jpg

The third turns the lighting to night time. Very cool!
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    A new mace for Faceless Void that I am working on.
    FVTimeMace.jpg
  • betasector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what_by_betasector-d59rn7u.jpg

Somebody, please help!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Largs wrote: »
    Any clue why my custom head was invisible?

i could be couple things

if you compiled wrong it will be changed to a model of letters writing "error", if your textures are wrong the "error" could be transparent

but forgeting about the model and just focusing on transparency, it could be a wrong shader, the dota default is CustomHero that need to be on the .vtm file

your model may be compiled without pointing to the right texture

or you are referencing to a wrong path of the texture files
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archimedes wrote: »
    I am still puzzling over how to add transparency to my lens, i tried coloring 50% opacity grey into the alpha channel over the lens UVs, and saved it in 32bit, but to no effect. Where am i going wrong?

i think i know what could be wrong, what mask are you using for the transparency?

did you referenced it on the .vtm file?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    i think i know what could be wrong, what mask are you using for the transparency?

other problem could be the shader

anyone remember any model with semi transparency?
    not particle effects, they use different shaders

may i be wrong but if they doenst exist could be that the customHero shader doesnt suport greys on the transparency.
  • Xpload
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would anyone using Blender share how to import a hero mesh with bones to use as reference.
  • neozerahan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YIPPPIIEEE MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS.....THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HELP. I HAVE FINALLY MADE IT TO THE FINISH LINE AND THNX TO U GUYS. All is fine and workin one last question is should i make a zip file or i use the one which it automaticlly creates when i press the submit button.
    Can you let me know how to is last submision file created,i mean the folder procedures.
    Here is the link to the workshop.

Thanks a lot people.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=87094582&searchtext=
  • Largs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just checked out the in-game compiler again, they added two new buttons in the peeview window, that do this:

newpreview.jpg

The third turns the lighting to night time. Very cool!

Wrong place to put a sword =p
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone polycounter lvl 5
    my concept was too complicated so I remade it
    i1cDM.png
    a Shield to fit in with my Axe for Chaos knight
  • Archimedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

No, i left all of the compiling to the new compiling tools, should i go in and manually alter the .vmt in the submitted item?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Largs wrote: »
    Wrong place to put a sword =p

Yeah, I know. I fixed it :)
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, i left all of the compiling to the new compiling tools, should i go in and manually alter the .vmt in the submitted item?

i never used the new compiler and did all the old way

but where is your alpha texture? mask1 or 2?
  • fierce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i dont understand why my geometry/polygons aren't lining up in the client but they look perfect in maya

i'm using fbx too
  • fierce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i dont understand why my geometry/polygons aren't lining up in the client but they look perfect in maya

i'm using fbx too

oh i figured it out

the source engine doesn't like you modeling into the negative parts of the xyz axis
  • Nubleet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished a Crown for Morphling :D
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=87073709
    Much prefer this to the shield i made earlier for dragon knight, probably going to go and remake the shield now since i learnt some more stuff about blender :D
  • perfectpencil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've started a project for Bounty hunter. Concept & Current Progress

Do you guys know if it is possible to submit a weapon that adds armor in addition to the weapon? Something like a katana would look best if you can add a sheath for the sword attached to the belt.

Also, my first post! hello polycount! Its been about 10 years since I did any 3D art as i'm a professional illustrator now, but maybe you guys can help me shake off the rust?
  • itsmadman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    do you guys have any tips. i put mine up and i wanted to see if there are anythings things i can change to better my submission. i didnt submit in mdl format i had a few issues but here is my submission
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=85422067&searchtext=
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    @PerfectPencil Hey! I recognize you from reddit!

Anyway, yes, you should be able to. If you make the scabbard, just skin it to the bone that his hip has, and skin the sword to the weapon bone like normal. THe only issue is they'd both have to be very low on detail because the polycount is very low, and you'd have to spread the budget across both :(
  • Archimedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i never used the new compiler and did all the old way

but where is your alpha texture? mask1 or 2?

...i have been attempting to color the transparency through the alpha channel in the _color texture.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    ...i have been attempting to color the transparency through the alpha channel in the _color texture.

From my understanding, that's correct. I've been having issues with it, too, though.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    It's possible the compiler doesn't recognise alpha channels and thus isn't generating it's VMT's with $alpha. If so, that's valve's fault.
  • Largs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I know. I fixed it :)

How did you done that? by moving it and compiling till it was right??
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14

are there any tips?

Lennyagony wrote: »
    its more likely your _mask1 or _mask2

copyed straight from the official dota2 art guide

"Alpha is the self-illumination mask, where the color is drawn from Color texture. Even if you are not using this, fill with a NON-BLACK color. This is done in order for texture compiler to keep this channel. If it is black it will be thrown out and the shader will think it's pure white and your item will be full bright."

I have tested a few assets now without a problem, but today i ran into the issue of a weapon displaying fully self illuminated, with no shaders. Weird.

I ran a few tests and in this instance it appears to be _mask1 causing the problem. I am unable to discern why as of yet but when tested with a pre existing _mask1 image "edit due to late night window licking"

its the _mask1 alpha map from my previous linked post :\
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

MY BAD MAN

sorry, i confused the textures

is on the color, not on the masks

did you tryied with 100% white? some shader doesnt support grays

other option could be "painting" what is behing the glass on the "glass" like i did on my couriers eyes, i painted a fake specular in it
  • Zuks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why does my model come up huge? i've search in previous posts but couldnt find anything.
    this happens if i export as FBX, if i try with Smd, it appears on the ground.

im using max2012

f5d1x.jpg
  • brt2pp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guys i have a problem. when i converting my beautiful 400 poly obj. to this filthy .smd all squares are converting to triangles and istantly my model have 2x more poly's. Normally i just try to make 200 poly model then convert it but when i look at developer model of sword for sven(downloaded from offic. site), it have normally 400 poly with squares, NOT 200.So my question is, did we need to make 2x less detailed item or i just can don't care about polys after convert to .smd ?(really sorry for my english but i'm still learning ;])
  • ArchoX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Their models are editable mesh - it is triangle model but you see only faces on your viewport. And by poly they really mean triangles.
  • brt2pp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArchoX wrote: »
    Their models are editable mesh - it is triangle model but you see only faces on your viewport. And by poly they really mean triangles.

lol now is see that this sven sword model could be lod0;] thx for answer
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brt2pp wrote: »
    guys i have a problem. when i converting my beautiful 400 poly obj. to this filthy .smd all squares are converting to triangles and istantly my model have 2x more poly's. Normally i just try to make 200 poly model then convert it but when i look at developer model of sword for sven(downloaded from offic. site), it have normally 400 poly with squares, NOT 200.So my question is, did we need to make 2x less detailed item or i just can don't care about polys after convert to .smd ?(really sorry for my english but i'm still learning ;])

the real count is triangles, a square is made of 2 triangles and is easier for us to use because its possibilities to smooth and easy to read when you look at the model, but, every square counts as 2 poligons, you need to check ALWAYS the triangle count

another things that counts to the perfomance is the vertex count, if you use all the poligons with hard edges will increase the times the engine need to calculate each vertex because of the number os normals they have, that why on dota all edges are softened

if you cut your uv too much it will affect the performance too, but they dont asked for that kind of care with the model, just the triangle count
  • Xpload
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you sure about the triangle count? A guy that has accepted submissions told me it is quad/triangles count combined.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xpload wrote: »
    Are you sure about the triangle count? A guy that has accepted submissions told me it is quad/triangles count combined.

yep

thing like that, when you decompile a dota model, it comes with quads or triangles?

every game engine, as far as i know, splits the n-gons in triangles

even if you dont see it, it calculates everything with triangles because the vertices of a triangle shares the same plane (sorry, dont know how to say that in english)
    a quad can have it vertices sharing the same plane, but its not always true, how you calculate a normal of that? its easier to calculate on a triangle

thats why some people likes to work with a lot of triangles on the low poly mesh, so the engine cant decide where it will split, that can make a huge difference on the sillhouette

the guy that told you that is not totally wrong, because is a sum of every polygon, but quads count as 2 =]
  • KingUNREAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, after some time modeling, sculpting and texturing (I do know I have to do some more blending for the seams), I finally got some stuff to show from my concepts I posted. Please let me know what you guys think so far, also I scrapped my old dagger Idea and changed to this WIP one. Thanks!

rikisetcollage.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Zuks wrote: »
    Why does my model come up huge? i've search in previous posts but couldnt find anything.
    this happens if i export as FBX, if i try with Smd, it appears on the ground.

im using max2012

I was having that exact problem. What I did, is select model and reset the Xform, found here:

reset_xform.png

Then collapsed my model, reskined it and it worked :)
  • Zuks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was having that exact problem. What I did, is select model and reset the Xform, found here:

reset_xform.png

Then collapsed my model, reskined it and it worked :)

I think i did Reset my Xforms but ill try again.

Edit: ok that did it. u guys think i should add more detail or leave it as is. this was just intended as a simple model to see if i got the process right. Feedback appreciated
  • Hawt Koffee
  • brt2pp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zuks wrote: »
    I think i did Reset my Xforms but ill try again.

Edit: ok that did it. u guys think i should add more detail or leave it as is. this was just intended as a simple model to see if i got the process right. Feedback appreciated

actually it would be look much better if have any shadow
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    So, working on another set for Lanaya, using the failed ideas from last time. Here's what I have after today:

14.jpg

The problem is, the skirt looks funny, and I'm not sure how to fix it. The concept isn't translating quite as well as I had hoped. Any ideas on how to make the skirt a little...better? Less tacked on.