Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• murphy7
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    It ended up taking me a lot longer on this than I would have hoped but I'm happy with the result. Links below, hit it with some votes!

coverImage.jpg
    closeup.jpg
    capeshot.jpg
  • ArchoX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lancemaker wrote: »

I probably need to fix all the masks. I dont have a clue about it. But the FBX import is working. I think its a lot easyer to preview the item now.
    Can u guys tell me why the weapon is not reciving lights ?

I made it to preview window with FBX and my model doenst receiving any lights too. I think its maybe some glitch, so be patient, valve will fix it.

On the other hand, in 3dsmax on my model it says 350 polys if I click 7 on my keyboard but if I export it then to .SMD suffix it goes to 700. Does it supposed to work like this? If yes, why should I use .SMD suffix If I can use .FBX and doenst have problems with the polygon count? Thanks for answer.
  • Archimedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eleryn wrote: »
    23.jpg

Hooray! An improvement!!

Now I just need to figure out why it's floating out there rather than in his hand.

Moving it's position relative to the bone seems to do nothing...

I think it looks great! I also think it's funny how you seem to be going through everything i just did XD You'll get it! If i can do it you can.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @3pwnies, I'm having the same problem. Something strange happened though. I had the model in model viewer and everything but the diffuse was showing up fine. The diffuse wasn't showing up because I had the wrong texture applied in Max when I exported. Once I fixed that though and reimported, none of the textures show up in model viewer. Also some of Valve's weapons are showing up purple checkered in model viewer too.

Edit: I am just a dingle and forgot that the vmt's name is what's important for a bit. Anyway, I tried to fix it by renaming it with weapon_ in front so maybe that could fix it for you.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP of a poleaxe for Chaos Knight. A bit more work to do on the metal but otherwise I think it's about done.

poleaxe_wip_01.jpg
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    gettin my feet wet, blocking out this axe for Slardar:
    pa_trolling_wip_01.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking pretty nice so far Breakneck. It might be hard to get all of those strap details into the in game model though. They'll all have to be one sided planes most likely or just baked straight into the handle/head.

Uploaded the Poleaxe to the workshop. Click the image to go to the workshop page.

poleaxe_01.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Maybe you should do something like this.
    paintover_ck_axe.jpg

My quick paint doesn't really explain it, but maybe something like the glowy red parts on his body, the kind of "magma" look, in the middle there. It's a bit plain and doesn't really fit in with his general look at the moment. I like it though :)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eleryn, yeah I was thinking of painting magma like on the stock weapon to the blade. I'll try painting some in and see how that looks.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    That looks great! Actually slightly reminds me of the Sharpened Volcano fragment from TF2 :)

ArchoX wrote: »

On the other hand, in 3dsmax on my model it says 350 polys if I click 7 on my keyboard but if I export it then to .SMD suffix it goes to 700.

You're probably looking at polycount, while the source engine (and most others, I think?) use triangles. So exporting as a SMD will split all your polys up into tris. Maya and 3DS, and I'm sure the other programs do too, have a "triangle" statistic as well as a polygon one, which I suggest you use.
  • penOr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    (I don't plan to put this in the store but wan't go through the entire process correctly)

iWbtBWKHTM7am.png

I've modeled and hand painted textured a weapon but I have no idea how to do the rest.

I assume this is the color map.

iRHA6HGEp7LuL.png

But I have no idea how to do the rest...
    - baking an ambient occlusion map?
    - rendering out a light map?
    also
    - baking a normal map? (the one that's all raindbow colors)
    - diffuse map?
    - mask1 and mask2?

These are listed at
    http://dota2.com/workshop/requirements?l=english
    http://media.steampowered.com/apps/dota2/workshop/Dota2CharacterTextureGuide.pdf

But they're saying what you need to do, not how (nor do they say where to learn)

I've yet to find a tutorial that covers this, and was hoping someone here could help me!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    An ambient occlusion map is the shadows that your model casts on itself, where shadows "pool", baked into an image file. You don't strictly need it, but generally it's a good idea because it makes things a lot nicer looking. How you bake it depends on what software you're using, (googling "baking AO <software>" would probably give you results).

A light map isn't really needed for weapons, so don't really worry about it. It's along the same idea as an AO but instead of self-shadows, it's shadows cast from a light.

Both of these you combine in photoshop with the colour map, to get your diffuse map (the coloured texture map, what you see on the model).

Baking a normal map is a little bit more involved, also depending on what software you're using. It's where you take a hi-poly mesh and use it to create the normal map for a lower-poly mesh. Most people use xnormal to do this (a google will find you the download). If you don't have a hi-poly mesh, you can generate a normal map from a software, like crazybump or NVidia's photoshop plugin...but they generally don't do very well.

Diffuse map is the colour map. Simple as that.

Mask1 and Mask2 are unique to Dota 2:
    o _mask1 - 32 bit, every channel is used:
    1. R - detail map mask
    2. G - diffuse and fresnel warp mask
    3. B - metalness mask; controls where color and fresnel are suppressed
    4. A - selfillum mask; color is drawn from _color. *Always put something in here, even if you are no using selfillum. This is done in order for texture compiler to keep this channel. If its black - it gets thrown out and then shader thinks it's pure white and your item will be full bright
    o _mask2 - 32 bit, every channel is used:
    1. R - spec intensity
    2. G - rimlight intensity
    3. B - tint spec by base color, INVERTED! black=tint by base color, white = uses specular color
    4. A - scale factor of specular exponent from shader. e.g. if spec. exp set to 16 then this channel values 0...255 will control exponent values from 0...16. Look at hero specular exponent number to get good idea what values to use in this channel for your item.

Googling how to use masks in Photoshop will let you create these. I reccomend looking at existing mask textures to get an idea of how to use them.

Hope that helps.
  • ionic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An ambient occlusion map is the shadows that your model casts on itself, where shadows "pool", baked into an image file. You don't strictly need it, but generally it's a good idea because it makes things a lot nicer looking. How you bake it depends on what software you're using, (googling "baking AO <software>" would probably give you results).

A light map isn't really needed for weapons, so don't really worry about it. It's along the same idea as an AO but instead of self-shadows, it's shadows cast from a light.

Both of these you combine in photoshop with the colour map, to get your diffuse map (the coloured texture map, what you see on the model).

Baking a normal map is a little bit more involved, also depending on what software you're using. It's where you take a hi-poly mesh and use it to create the normal map for a lower-poly mesh. Most people use xnormal to do this (a google will find you the download). If you don't have a hi-poly mesh, you can generate a normal map from a software, like crazybump or NVidia's photoshop plugin...but they generally don't do very well.

Diffuse map is the colour map. Simple as that.

Mask1 and Mask2 are unique to Dota 2:

Googling how to use masks in Photoshop will let you create these. I reccomend looking at existing mask textures to get an idea of how to use them.

Hope that helps.

Really very useful information, thanks a lot!
    I reccomend looking at existing mask textures to get an idea of how to use them.
    Can someone load existing mask textures? :icon15:
  • bugball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello guys I'm making a drow set, but items in the current workshop ingame viewer, the items appear static, the model is animated but the shoulders are not in the model shoulder, they are floating static..

I'm new to the forum and hope i can participate a lot!
  • <3pwnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    @3pwnies, I'm having the same problem. Something strange happened though. I had the model in model viewer and everything but the diffuse was showing up fine. The diffuse wasn't showing up because I had the wrong texture applied in Max when I exported. Once I fixed that though and reimported, none of the textures show up in model viewer. Also some of Valve's weapons are showing up purple checkered in model viewer too.

Edit: I am just a dingle and forgot that the vmt's name is what's important for a bit. Anyway, I tried to fix it by renaming it with weapon_ in front so maybe that could fix it for you.

hmmm i still cant get mine to work, i seriously dont know what i'm doing wrong, if u got skype i can share my screen & u can point out where im going wrong xD
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    ionic wrote: »

Bind your objects to the bones that they should follow. Check the original skeleton for the names.

Question: Since Dota only support 1 sided materials, how do you handle cloaks like Invoker's? Duplicate geo at the back side?
  • XzXDooGXzX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik wrote: »
    Question: Since Dota only support 1 sided materials, how do you handle cloaks like Invoker's? Duplicate geo at the back side?

I was wondering the same because of Queen of Pain's wings. Also, how are the vmt files used as compared to vtf?
  • polysquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Better?

Looking sharp (literally)! Nessaj looks like great fun to model for, I really love his pallet. For now it's just some Necrolyte for me.

Finished Heartstopper.

iaza12568887786200.png

I'm not very good at rendering it like it's in-game though.
    ionic wrote: »

If you download one of the character model ZIPs from the Workshop technical requirements page, they're in the supplied materials folder.
  • ionic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polysquid wrote: »
    If you download one of the character model ZIPs from the Workshop technical requirements page, they're in the supplied materials folder.
    :poly102:
    I was too inattentive! sry, and ty!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    XzXDooGXzX wrote: »
    I was wondering the same because of Queen of Pain's wings. Also, how are the vmt files used as compared to vtf?

Capes are only one sided, if you notice. You can't see them from the back, mostly you don't notice becuse their body is blocking it :)

QoP's wings would have geometry on both sides, I guess.

VMT files are basically a text file that "defines" a material. In dota 2's case, it's a file that points to the color, normal, mask1 and mask2 , each separate vtf files (the actual image data). It can also contain lots of other neat commands, like transformations, specular colour/level definitions, even some really complex stuff called proxies. But for dota 2, it's pretty basic :)

An easy way to remember is VMT stands for "Valve MaTerial" and VTF stands for "Valve Texture File"
  • XzXDooGXzX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got it, thanks so much for all of the help :D

It's going to take me a bit of learning to figure out all of this texture stuff... Gonna start with making some weapons because they seem to be the simplest in texture files. On a side note, there is a model decompiled with queen of pain called shadowstrike_model that is a small demon. I'm guessing it is a part of the attack animation, but it is very subtle if that is the case.
  • Zuks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ugh, this is driving me insane.

When I export my sword as a FBX, it comes out really huge, but attached to his hand in the game compiler. When I export the exact SAME file as a .smd, it comes out the correct size but not attached to his hand, on the floor unmoving.

When I try what you people have suggested, a completely clean file, it still has the same results.

I'm just about ready to give up I think.

I'm having the same issue you had.

Tried Creating a new scene, imported my model and juggernaut's skeleton. X-form reset done my model, linked to sword_1 bone and made a clean export. the sword apears to be somewhat well positioned but really out of proportion.

f5d1x.jpg

What did i do wrong or missed?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Better?

poleaxe_wip_02.jpg

AWESOME! (just needed to say that =])
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Capes are only one sided, if you notice. You can't see them from the back, mostly you don't notice becuse their body is blocking it :)

QoP's wings would have geometry on both sides, I guess.

VMT files are basically a text file that "defines" a material. In dota 2's case, it's a file that points to the color, normal, mask1 and mask2 , each separate vtf files (the actual image data). It can also contain lots of other neat commands, like transformations, specular colour/level definitions, even some really complex stuff called proxies. But for dota 2, it's pretty basic :)

An easy way to remember is VMT stands for "Valve MaTerial" and VTF stands for "Valve Texture File"

some capes have two sides like the crystal maiden´s
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    working off of simons concepts, but it get kinda useless to tweak maps and set up stuff without beeing able to see it in the actual engine and with the shaders it should be using.

dotasword.jpg

if anyone has a a key he could spare, it would be really appretiated :)
  • bugball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh damn so i have to download maya to import bones? there is no way to do in 3dmax?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    The SMD importer for 3DS should import bones.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    working off of simons concepts, but it get kinda useless to tweak maps and set up stuff without beeing able to see it in the actual engine and with the shaders it should be using.

dotasword.jpg

Have you applied for an invite straight to Valve? Pretty much everyone who has has gotten one by now so the line shouldn't be too long.

That sword is looking boss, but have you read any of the guidelines for creating items? Your item looks way over on the polycount and depending on the hero the texture will probably need to be 128x256 although it's fine for it to be 512x1024 for authoring and presentation obviously.

If you tell me the hero it's for I can get you the right specs for the textures. Polycount wise, weapons are generally under 700 for presentation and portraits and under 300 for in game.
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone polycounter lvl 5
    GNA98.jpg
    WIP
    Lod0 - 686 tris , Lod1 in progress
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I repainted the magma on the Poleaxe to match Chaos Knight a bit better. Probably done with this one now. I think I might do a set for CK next.

poleaxe_01.jpg
  • KingUNREAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, started to model my concept for a Riki set, let me know what you guys think or what should be modified, changed, etc! Also, the reason for different blades is I noticed in Riki's attack anims his left hand is primarily used for the backstab anim and wanted to give him a blade that looked designed for a downward stab.

testriki1.jpg

rikimodeling.jpg
  • penOr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    In order to make a normal map using a high poly mesh and applying it to a low poly mesh, do you guys model the weapon twice, if so, do you do it completely seperate, or create the low poly, then go into detail from that and save it as the high poly.

I just wanted to test the new publishing feature in DotA2 and suprisingly it worked for me. I didn't make the sword for dragon knight so it doesn't really match his theme, and I didn't publishi this.

iblPL5fTXFi7RL.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you applied for an invite straight to Valve? Pretty much everyone who has has gotten one by now so the line shouldn't be too long.

That sword is looking boss, but have you read any of the guidelines for creating items? Your item looks way over on the polycount and depending on the hero the texture will probably need to be 128x256 although it's fine for it to be 512x1024 for authoring and presentation obviously.

If you tell me the hero it's for I can get you the right specs for the textures. Polycount wise, weapons are generally under 700 for presentation and portraits and under 300 for in game.

Well i guess then i made something right. :)
    It is way below 700 has around 500 tris (put the info on the image now).
    Giving it a non square sheet is no issue but when i looked at some of the demo assets they have been using square textures and didn't mirror the blade (which would be obviously the way to go to save some pixels). But what do i know about their technical constraints so i decided to do it as i saw it on the assets i looked at.

and yep i also applied with the beta application survey form
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

i tryied do get my key on the inscription but it was tasking too long and i wanted to test my courier so i bought it.

it was 40 dollars but last time i saw was 30
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr wrote: »
    In order to make a normal map using a high poly mesh and applying it to a low poly mesh, do you guys model the weapon twice, if so, do you do it completely seperate, or create the low poly, then go into detail from that and save it as the high poly.

I just wanted to test the new publishing feature in DotA2 and suprisingly it worked for me. I didn't make the sword for dragon knight so it doesn't really match his theme, and I didn't publishi this.
    second option

i use zbrush for the high poly but its not necessary
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    i tryied do get my key on the inscription but it was tasking too long and i wanted to test my courier so i bought it.

it was 40 dollars but last time i saw was 30

you bought what? sorry i'm not really sure i can follow you, the game isn#t for sale right now?

as for the highpoly lowpoly debate, i build a basemesh for sculpting using the double smooth workflow, so i don't have to chamfer anything. its already a almost perfect lowpoly so once the detailling is done i can just go in cut down the tri count, optimize, unwrap and whatnot and have a whole new asse tin a couple of hours. No need for the full complex route with highpoly basemesh, sculpting, retopo route as the style so nice and simple.
  • Sn1pe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sn1pe polycounter lvl 9
    you bought what? sorry i'm not really sure i can follow you, the game isn#t for sale right now?

You can pretty much buy your way into the beta if you haven't gotten in yet, there's a bundle with a whole set of items and stuff which also gives you a beta invite.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    9gMc4.png

Set I'm working on for BH.
    Scrapped my last stuff.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sn1pe wrote: »
    You can pretty much buy your way into the beta if you haven't gotten in yet, there's a bundle with a whole set of items and stuff which also gives you a beta invite.

hm in dunno buying a freetoplay account, not really my thang - anyways here is the zbrush model of the second sword, just simple polypaint

dotasword_02.jpg
  • Tomm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You pretty much nailed the dota2 style, great work.
  • limesimme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    limesimme polycounter lvl 11
    hm in dunno buying a freetoplay account, not really my thang - anyways here is the zbrush model of the second sword, just simple polypaint

*snip*
    That's sooo beast!
  • Largs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Creating a set for queen of pain, any ideas for wings?
    Set1.jpgset2.jpg
    Forget shoulder textures, and helmet texture is 256x256
  • Xpload
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it possible to use Blender and submit to the workshop? Anyone doing so?
  • Largs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xpload wrote: »
    Is it possible to use Blender and submit to the workshop? Anyone doing so?

I'm using blender
  • Gooche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Largs wrote: »
    I'm using blender
    Ah ive been spending so long getting my C4D to work, finally got pudge in and animating why did i not think of blender.. oh well.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you bought what?

you can buy the game invite on steam
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

awesome work =]

i hesitated a little on buying a free game, i waited for a week to get the free invite and then i decided to buy it.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Well, I finally got my coral sword working for Kunkka

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=86536162

01.png

Give it an upvote if you like it! :)

I've also been drawing a concept for another set for Lanaya. I'd love some feedback now (it's a lot easier to make changes here!)

concept3.jpg

I'm not 100% sure on the scarf, but...