Replies

• marul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    crazyone wrote: »
    took me 4ever but here it is :D
    1fjQ58Q.jpg

I love your set, especially the mount. I think this one is the best yet for Mirana.

Good job! (And good luck)
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    Grats Sirax! Been waiting on that one for awhile.

I've also been wondering if it was a liger or a tion, and the sabretooth teeth kept throwing me off, now the mystery is solved: "Sabretooth Liger" XD.
    Try colouring the shadows and have white as the highlight/lighter parts. See how crystal miaden's fur isn't pure white its a ice blue shadows, light grey blue for mids and little flecks of white for the highlights.

Thanks for the help, using CM as a reference was very useful.

Better?

Texture_Comparison_Shot.jpg
  • HatPoweredSpyCrab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HatPoweredSpyCrab polycounter lvl 10
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    good god the item tricounts for some of these heroes are so picky
    this already looks way too low and it doesn't even meet Lod0
    Valve really needs to increase the tricounts by 100 at the very least
    It's not like a mere 500 extra triangles on a hero would make a decent computer chug or anything
    hell even 1000 total extra triangles divided among hero items would be fine
    but trimming this down and still trying to get it to look good is incredibly tedious.
    They're that way because that's all it needs. If you can't fit it within the texture/poly budget it means it's too ambitious - a quiver isn't meant to be a big show piece like a weapon, head slot or mount; it should compliment a set.

Either your concept doesn't work or you need to be smarter/more resourceful with your triangles.
    crazyone wrote: »
    took me 4ever but here it is :D
    1fjQ58Q.jpg
    Poor guy is cross-eyed :(
    He looks great though, the whole set does!
    Grats Sirax! Been waiting on that one for awhile.

Better?

Texture_Comparison_Shot.jpg

It's still just way too much white and you have no gradient which draws the viewers' eyes towards the head, the white of his legs are just as bright as his head. You removed all that pink/purple/teal/dark blue and just replaced it with white. The white on his default beard is so minimal and is the only instance of that in the whole model, I don't think it works covering his whole body. There's also no flow to the hair, it just seems like a coral pattern instead of hair which flows from follicles.
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe it would be a cool idea to integrate some of his old colours into a gradient on the white?
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback all.

What about this?

Recolor1.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for the feedback all.

What about this?

Recolor1.jpg

The color looks a lot better, maybe change the head item/horns?
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    The problem I have with the horns is that they're pretty much the same constant thickness - They could use a little flare - play with the weight and flow of them a bit and you'd have something awesome going on.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Hey people, me and Sharc are shipping some more shiny things!
    485B46704B73C2BA9A0974D6ABF285ADF20FBD59
    Clonk on it!

Also, we hugged, kissed and i did some items
    001_h.jpg
    002_h.jpg
    003_h.jpg
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    yeah, that's it! It looks fine to me, you can add a bit smudging/unevenness on those paint strokes, but otherwise it looks pretty solid, nice going!

moko-mojo2_textured5.png

kinda like that, i think i am coming to a close on this model soonish.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    I also see you heeded none of my advice but never the less they're still pretty good.
    but the shaft on that centaur axe could be much better it feels very crooked
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te wrote: »
    moko-mojo2_textured5.png

kinda like that, i think i am coming to a close on this model soonish.
    Awwy yes, i would've added the vertical unevennes on the teeth, and made the chin paint bit less obviously mirrored and looking more like a brush stroke
    I also see you heeded none of my advice but never the less they're still pretty good.
    but the shaft on that centaur axe could be much better it feels very crooked
    You know what to do so i could submit them.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Hawt, Vlad, do you know each other personally? ;) However its good to hear that both of you agreed to work together.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awwy yes, i would've added the vertical unevennes on the teeth, and made the chin paint bit less obviously mirrored and looking more like a brush stroke

You know what to do so i could submit them.
    That doesn't make any sense
    I told you to manually model the high poly before sculpting a non organic item
    but it's as if you completely ignored everything I asked you to do
    don't get me wrong I'm glad you can churn out items as quick as anything but I'm still looking for quality over quantity
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That doesn't make any sense
    I told you to manually model the high poly before sculpting a non organic item
    but it's as if you completely ignored everything I asked you to do
    don't get me wrong I'm glad you can churn out items as quick as anything but I'm still looking for quality over quantity
    Yeeeeeah, i'll stick to the way Valve does their models.
    I'm still looking for quality over quantity
    AA5D95E247EAD700EE85037A6255E105462B036C
    yeah, it really... shows

Anyway, good working with ya, good luck with the stuff.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

AA5D95E247EAD700EE85037A6255E105462B036C
    yeah, it really... shows

Anyway, good working with ya, good luck with the stuff.

My own items very rarely meet my own standards and expectations
    I absolutely hate that centaur set
    the only reason it was uploaded was because my friends and family kept bugging me not to let it go to waste even after telling them I don't like it.

The fact that you aren't taking any of my advice into consideration is incredibly childish especially when I know you can do better than this.
    I know you don't like hearing feedback on your items especially if it's criticism but you're just going to have to grow up and learn to take criticism like everybody else here on polycount.
    I've been trying as hard as I bloody can to get better, doing what little I can on my items between my college classes and it's incredibly frustrating knowing someone significantly less skilled than I am is finding significantly more success, Call it jealousy if you want Vlad but this awful attitude of yours has made working on Dota items, a once pleasant experience for me a complete and total nightmare.
  • Jalcober
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10

They way you do your models is not how valve makes their models. There is a reason why valves work is significantly better than anything you could do with the way you model.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    argue in PM's fellas. Sheesh.

omClub_C01.jpg

OM club from my lunch break.
  • Uff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uff
    My own items very rarely meet my own standards and expectations
    I absolutely hate that centaur set
    the only reason it was uploaded was because my friends and family kept bugging me not to let it go to waste even after telling them I don't like it.

The fact that you aren't taking any of my advice into consideration is incredibly childish especially when I know you can do better than this.
    I know you don't like hearing feedback on your items especially if it's criticism but you're just going to have to grow up and learn to take criticism like everybody else here on polycount.
    I've been trying as hard as I bloody can to get better, doing what little I can on my items between my college classes and it's incredibly frustrating knowing someone significantly less skilled than I am is finding significantly more success, Call it jealousy if you want Vlad but this awful attitude of yours has made working on Dota items, a once pleasant experience for me a complete and total nightmare.

But if you can't follow your own advices and pull off desired quality content, why do you expect the others to listen to them and to follow them? I'm sorry, but I only see Vlad acting more adult and proffesional than you are, and bringing up your conflict every once in a while is getting a little tiresome, so please don't.
  • marul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    reverendK wrote: »
    argue in PM's fellas. Sheesh.

omClub_C01.jpg

OM club from my lunch break.

Nice concept but I feel it should look a little less "human" :poly124:
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Marul - Indeed - i'll get back to it later on. push the eyes a little farther apart, the nose a little higher, mouth a little wider..make the head in general have less human shape. will update...but i have to finish my dark seer set first :)
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    1) Giving critique has nothing to do with the abilities of the person giving the critique. If I make a dumb mistake and somebody on the workshop who has no clue of 3D content generation calls me out on it, then I still made a dumb mistake.

2) From what I gather, Vlad made an uploaded a concept by Hawt without his permission after Hawt explicitly stated that he would like to be asked when using any of his concept.

3) It's over. Lets move on. Things were anything but pretty but lets not resort to being passive aggressive or having people afraid to post up ideas.

@reverendK
    Nice concept! And I agree with the making it less human, give it some glowing eyes or something, otherwise the facial detail gets lost at game cam distance.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    finally finished with all the lo-poly and uving, so back to more exciting things - like texturing!

lopoly_wip2_zpse924a87a.jpg

still a long way to go, but the end is finally in sight!...

the hardest task gives the better satisfaction at the end =] going really well man =]
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice items vlad and sharc, really like the shape of the blade on that centaur axe, although the handle's angle does look a bit odd.

On the jugg sword, could you try adding the spec from the preview pic to the diffuse on the actual item? It looks really nice and would make the item appear less plain.

Thanks for the feedback! Updated the antlers a bit, especially the lod0.

Adjustments1.jpg

Going to make some minor adjustments then I think it should be good.
  • shellnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm back on my Item Set project. Here's what I have finished tonight. :)
    8641832546_a8c0febb21_b.jpg
  • tibbi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice bow design. I like the carved look.
  • Zaphk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
    Almost done! We'll work on the shoulder and bow now
    2ys72
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
  • tibbi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice set.
  • Uff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uff
    Spudnik wrote: »
    1) Giving critique has nothing to do with the abilities of the person giving the critique. If I make a dumb mistake and somebody on the workshop who has no clue of 3D content generation calls me out on it, then I still made a dumb mistake.

2) From what I gather, Vlad made an uploaded a concept by Hawt without his permission after Hawt explicitly stated that he would like to be asked when using any of his concept.

3) It's over. Lets move on. Things were anything but pretty but lets not resort to being passive aggressive or having people afraid to post up ideas.

1) Giving critique is one thing, but forcing people to follow your own pipeline is dumb, especially when it's not working well for you.
    2) It was ovbiously a bold joke a he deleted it almost immediatly after hawf saw it. Also it was more or less an act of help after hawf wrote a big post about how much he works and that his only accepted item is one of his first. From what I see, vlad only had the best intentions, even if he did it in a provocative way.
    3) Yes I agree. I see nothing preventing people from posting ideas, you can always report a certain submission if your concept was used.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    A cold knocked me on my ass this week so I haven't been able to spend a ton of time on this until today. I made a bunch of changes and mostly finished off the high poly. I have a feeling it's going to be grueling to meet poly budgets and rig this.

I think it got buried at the end of a page the last time I posted it, but I am looking for design feedback on it.

5KYCN2K.jpg
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like what i see frump! Huge fan of this battlegear theme for Lina. Maybe some more details/ornaments with the style from her default corset or what she is wearing?
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moko-mojo2_textured6.png

Its the details in the end. I think i'll leave it like that. now on to the promo. lets see if i can get that modelviewer to work.
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    I noticed like almost the entire Polycount community uses the high poly to low poly technique, and I'm seeing why. It's just less of a hassle. I'm still using the low poly to high poly technique but when it comes to sculpting, it's a damn chore.
  • shellnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moko-mojo2_textured6.png

Its the details in the end. I think i'll leave it like that. now on to the promo. lets see if i can get that modelviewer to work.

I like the look, looks like raw painted wood. :)
    vertical wrote: »
    I noticed like almost the entire Polycount community uses the high poly to low poly technique, and I'm seeing why. It's just less of a hassle. I'm still using the low poly to high poly technique but when it comes to sculpting, it's a damn chore.

The way I do it is form a low poly model then sculpt it.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shellnut wrote: »
    I like the look, looks like raw painted wood. :)

then i succeeded ^^ thx
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moko-mojo2_textured6.png

I would've done it like this:
    xeqTm7W.jpg
    But it's so minor that it won't matter. Good job

It's also good to zoom out and check how it'll actually look in game. Portrait view size:
    8nDAH3p.jpg

Uff wrote: »
    text.
    Mah nigga!
  • RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9

Yeah, with the PA Hair I did, I did the low poly first rather than more of a base mesh. Because of this it was far more difficult to sculpt in some areas that weren't evened out and it forced to me to stay more focused on edges rather than having free form or I'd risk distorting the mesh.

I'll probably try doing a base mesh to high poly before creating a low poly from now on.
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Usually i go highpoly to low only because it allow me to prototype in zbrush directly without caring too much about keeping the original volumes.
    You can change the main shapes very quickly and then do a quick retopology with the right polygonal detail in the point where you need them. Usually is hard to know earlier in my opinion.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Paskie wrote: »
    I like what i see frump! Huge fan of this battlegear theme for Lina. Maybe some more details/ornaments with the style from her default corset or what she is wearing?

Thanks for the suggestion, I am going to try to work some more stuff like that into the texture.
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai wrote: »
    Usually i go highpoly to low only because it allow me to prototype in zbrush directly without caring too much about keeping the original volumes.
    You can change the main shapes very quickly and then do a quick retopology with the right polygonal detail in the point where you need them. Usually is hard to know earlier in my opinion.

I tend to jump into the deep with new things, thanks for the advice! :thumbup:
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But what boggles my mind is how do you make sharp edged things, you know, like, swords and mechanical objects?
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another question though, how do you guys sculpt sharp edged forms like you would find on swords or any mechanical part? That's my main concern in sculpts at the moment.

Edit: Sorry double similar post! >.<

Damnit bad internet.
  • shellnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But what boggles my mind is how do you make sharp edged things, you know, like, swords and mechanical objects?

I don't know if this is how everyone do it, but I crate a low poly model and subdivide it to just enough subdivisions so it won't get distorted when you sculpt on it.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would've done it like this:
    But it's so minor that it won't matter. Good job

It's also good to zoom out and check how it'll actually look in game. Portrait view size:
    8nDAH3p.jpg

ah ok, wasnt really clear to me how you ment it at first. now i get it. I checked the portrait size every now and then when making screenshots. works well i think. thanks for the help, really appreciated
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Special thanks to everyone who offered advice on this set, it turned out much much better than it would've otherwise.

Workshop Link

Collection_Cover_Small.jpg
  • Trow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another question though, how do you guys sculpt sharp edged forms like you would find on swords or any mechanical part? That's my main concern in sculpts at the moment.

Edit: Sorry double similar post! >.<

Damnit bad internet.

If you're using blender, one good way to get the fine edges and clean surfaces is to use subdivision surface modeling. At least that's what they call it in blender. A good tutorial is at the blender cookie website. It's called "creating an Axe" and shows some of the methods pretty good.

I'm sure that the other 3d packages have similar features. I'm just not familiar with them.

So you could model the blades/axeheads/other smooth stuff with sub-surface, then model the more organic forms on a separate mesh, then retopo over both meshes for the final model. Then bake normals and ambient occlusion from the high detail model to the final model.

That's the approach that I'm using, anyway.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're using max or zbrush, you can model using Nurms sub-d, smoothing by smooth-groups, and export that to Zbrush and reconstruct sub-divisions - that will retain your hard edges when you further sub-divide in Zbrush.

If you're just using zbrush, I use a combination of Dam Standard and Trim Dynamic brushes to get hard surface edges. It's kind of a trial and error process, though, and there may be a better method i don't know about.
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    In Bleder, even using a multiresolution mesh, you can keep hard edges by beveling (Ctrl+B) its corner edges, fairly simple, there's no need for separating the meshes.
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK wrote: »
    If you're using max or zbrush, you can model using Nurms sub-d, smoothing by smooth-groups, and export that to Zbrush and reconstruct sub-divisions - that will retain your hard edges when you further sub-divide in Zbrush.

You can do something similar with Maya using the Crease edge tool.