Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Airbørn

Replies

• elementrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix polycounter lvl 15
    I am using vista:

when I try to change the link in the target menu without the " " I get this error:
    error.jpg

which is translated:
    The name C"\Program, which is given in the target, is invalid. check your blablabla

so then I add the " " things around the UT3 like, this is exactly what I have in my target:
    "C:Program FilesUnreal Tournament 3BinariesUT3.exe" DM-000?game=Airborn.Airborn -windowed -resx=1280 -resy=720 -log -ConsolePosX=0 -ConsolePosY=0 -useunpublished -mod=..Airborn

working.jpg

and then it works for me.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    hmm just tried it on my laptop and it workds absolutley fine on vista. maybe my xp64 is fucked up. anyways thanks for the help fellas!
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Putting in the ""s got the link working for me, now just to trouble shoot why the game's not loading up properly.

I get the normal UT start up screens then once I'm assuming I get to the actual game the screens black for about 20-30 seconds.

Then it starts panning into the air ship and I start seeing the main character fall a million times, no docks or anything around. The joys of trouble shooting.

the Airborn .rar files were put in my unreal tournament 3 > UTGame > Unpublished > Airborn folder or should i just take cookedPC, config, localization, src folders and put them directly under the Unpublished folder
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    move the airborn folder right into your ut3 root and change the link to load map dm-000 not dm-001 should be fixed soon, thanks to chris at fileplanet
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finally HQ Teaser is on
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/airborn/videos
    doesn't even look as if this is 1280x720, awesome xD
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    owo pogoing and kicking rat-hoppers, my favourite pastimes! can they be combined somehow. It looks so super, not going to grab it until the bugs have been fixed though. On that screenshot with the grass - is that just alpha clashing around the edges or a stylistic choice? It'd be nice to see that field of green looking more lush and smooth if it's not alphas getting messed up
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    what beautiful music, i would kill to be apart of this project *pulls out gun* i mean it :poly118:
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite: we currently have two tests going on, one alpha blended and one alpha tested, both have their strengths, we currently kepts both in it and might test others as well. Alpha blenden in unreal is pretty much unsorted, and therefore doesnt add to the zbuffer end there is going to be drawn behind the outline even if it is in front of the object that is casting the outline.
    Alpha tested has no sorting issues but as it adds to the zbuffer it has an outline which happens to be somewhat noisy from distance, we'll have to test more to be really sure what to use.

@tadpole: team is closed for now, might change some time but not just yet :)
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    kite: there are to two types of grass atm, i guess we havent really decided which one works better.

soft alpha generates some issues with the whole outline postprocess.

but as we really had a hard time getting everything textured (parts of the env textures are really really rushed ;) ), some other stuff hasnt gotten any real love

tadpole: yeah Ian is a great guy :)

edit: stupid neox has no live :D - ok you get a hug
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    cool, wasn't sure as it looked like a stylistic choice. I'm sure whatever you use in the end will look tops, really very excited to play through this.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did anyone already find a fix for the wrong links under Windows XP?

ok it seems to be a problem with the string "Unreal Tournament 3" i dunno which sign you need to make under XP to force a space sign (dunno the english word ^^, when you hit space), possibly it works with removing the spaces, not tested yet but i seems that the path is working

OK have the fix!

update Unreal to the latest version 2.1

thats it :)
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    looks great man
    i'm going to give it a whirl when I get chance
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    that is looking great! it is stuff like this that truely makes the UE3 shine.
    some of us at work were loking at this the other day and wanted to play it as full game.
    awesome job.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
  • e_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e_x polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome work guys! It's so refreshing to see something done in UE3 that doesn't look like GoW or UT3.
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    Finally got it to work, and my GOD was it worth it. Beautiful game guys, I hope to see more soon. And I'm sure you're all recuperating right now, but can we please fly the plane in the public release, even if there's no objective? I wanted to hop on that thing so bad, I spent 15 minutes just trying to hop on in the hopes that it was as hard to get on and fly as it was to kick the rat things (that is to say, I stood next to it and either jumped or hit the use key for 15 minutes hoping that at some point the command would work and I could fly)!

Again, awesome art, I can't wait to see more.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2 ways to go right now, add more groundplay/content to the level or add flight, from the idea of airborn itself i'd say, add flight would fit the universe better :)
    we'll have to discuss our roadmap for the finals
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    really love the art direction of Airborn, just wanted to say keep up the great work! =)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    quick question... is his clothing affected by your SSS shader too?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes but way more subtle then on his face, not sure if it has a mask or just a value to specify the translucency, every character and animal and some animatable assets share the same mastershader, using sss is just a matter of turning on that feature per object, so we use it where it is helping the look, and if its only very subtle :)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok back in business, normal production starts.. lets roll and start with the airpart of the game

t4neu8.jpg
    now's your turn kio :D
  • empeck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    empeck polycounter lvl 18
    Look's like you've seen Mr Miyazaki's movies many times ;)

Have you started working on flying already? I'm curious, how big world will UE3 allow.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Cool!
    But needs bigger exhaust pipes! ;)
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    Really liking the design, but just wondering why the wings aren't in the middle of the body with the exhausts beneath the plane itself. I'm no aerospace engineer but, might be a little out of balance? Maybe maybe? I could be totally wrong! :)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol bigger pipes, look at the dudes, its bigger then they are xD

@empeck: we will see, right now we plan on spawning islands when you get closer we really can't say, but the flightmode is more like a worldmap, we don't plan to have a hundred fully detailled islands streamed in and out, too risky too huge... instead we have stylized representations of each island with landing areas, they will be a little smaller then the originals but big enoug to have something to fly over, we will see how large they will be, it's all theoretical right now

@sirdelita: we are not trying to win a price in aerodynamics, look at pinos jetbike, its a flying whiskey barrel with very short wings. It has to look cool and look flyable enough to fit in.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Very nice concept, i'm not too sure about the rear stabilizer it looks small and in flush with the chassis. Perhaps a little bigger, i'm also in agreement with larger exaggerated exhaust pipes. They really bring character to the plane!
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    i probably should be kicked in the nuts for this, and even if its intended, it reminds me of last exile
    and i should read more stuff

nice
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What exactly? we used no other reference for the design but actual airplanes, so its rather accidental. i only watched a few last exile episodes a very long time ago, but as far as i remember the ships where more or less hodrods with funky motors? Was fun watching it though, might give it another try.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    it doesnt look like last exile ships.

it's cool though.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    LastExileDVDb1004.jpg
    i dunno just reminds me somehow
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe we had the long nose before and will keep it for another ship, but what they did is more or lass teaking an old racing car and transform it into something flyable, which is also very cool we experimented with that but then stood with a more classical approach with changes here and there to give it that "hod rod" feeling, in the end it had to be a bully but still be fast and agile enough to be a good enemy

also i don't take it offensive, if you are doing something in that direction, there of course are things that will be in common, thats just how it is, from most steampunkish settings i think last exile is one of the coolest because its not just the normal victorian steampunk you see everywhere, i guess thats the main similarity between last exile and airborn, its a bit rougher, less fine kind of steampunk.
  • empeck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    empeck polycounter lvl 18
    Neox wrote: »
    @empeck: we will see, right now we plan on spawning islands when you get closer we really can't say, but the flightmode is more like a worldmap, we don't plan to have a hundred fully detailled islands streamed in and out, too risky too huge... instead we have stylized representations of each island with landing areas, they will be a little smaller then the originals but big enoug to have something to fly over, we will see how large they will be, it's all theoretical right now

Thanks for detailed reply. That's great idea with a worldmap-like flying, love it.

I was asking about maximum distances UE3 allows, but I understand, it's too early.

I'm an aviation freak, both realistic (I love hardcore flight simulators ), and stylized. Great work with your planes, can't wait to see more.
  • Canden Picard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Airborn looks amazing. I want to play.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Really impressive Neox, congrats on the initial release. I'm sure it's really fulfilling to see a project like this through.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Has anyone tried this on the ps3?

I might try that out. See if it will work. That would be awesome!!!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    so how do i install this in vista?
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    by reading the readme? (make sure you have the 2.1 patch, and actually extract the airborn folder into the ut3 directory)

Tried it out, pretty darn cool guys. Cant wait to see where it goes :D.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has anyone tried this on the ps3?

I might try that out. See if it will work. That would be awesome!!!

doesn't work as we didn't cook it for ps3 YET, however, for vista and non steam users, follow the readme, for steamusers follow the readmy too, but read the part on non steam users as well, especially where it says "copy it into your ut root folder" thats crucial... also 2.1 is really needed
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a test on simple yet effective realtime 3d clouds, not finished and definitely needs some tweaking but its a start. Right now its only one cloud so we might add different shapes, mix them with particle clouds etc.
    on my machine i tested around and i had 3000 clouds running without an impact, even though its all soft alphaed o.o
    maybe because they are all instanced, dunno

cloud_test_04.1.jpg
    http://nonpublic.airborn-game.com/wip/neox/temp/clouds.gif
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    cool, i did some tests like this a few years ago and it would run at about 1 frame a minute when you got down into the clouds, how does this run when you are in the clouds?

there are some ways around it, Pm if you want to know more
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice Neox, any chance you can give us a quick wireframe shot, or a shot of the cloud itself in the model viewer, would love to see how you built it... cause frankly, I have no idea :P
  • Fang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fang polycounter lvl 7
    Will keep an eye on this :thumbup: Looks great
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @shep: here it doesn't hit my framerate at all, i have 8800gt which is definitely not the latest model or something, but to avaid such things... really dense cloudfields will only be used to limit the players movement. When he flies too low, they start to appear, the fog gets denser then too till you see almost nothing but your outline. So maybe we can just blend out the clouds then, because you won't be able to see anything. So you fly in, fog is getting denser and then we play an anim that lifts you back up in the sky, small sequence like "phew that was closed, i flew pretty low this time" whatever :D

@jason: really simple stuff
    http://nonpublic.airborn-game.com/wip/neox/temp/cloudmodel.jpg
    most "magic" is done by the shader, but basicly its a now brainer and i was surprised how wel it worked ^^
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Looks very cool Neox, I am super pumped to see that new plane design fleshed out.

How do you guys plan on doing the flying? Are you going to try and code it so you don't need to use the C and Spc keys to gain/reduce altitude. So the plane would fly more like a redeemer missile? If so I would love to see something like that working, I spent a couple weeks trying to get a setup like that coded with no luck unfortunately.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woha I'd love to work on some flying dynamics :D the clouds look really good but I wonder if they could be done procedurally and on the fly to avoid repeating (dunno about vertex movement in UE3 but I'd basically create one textured sphere and have the vertexes be moved in random directions and smooth out the result)
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Those clouds look great. Is the opacity controlled by the incidence angle or something? Are you using any normal maps for the clouds?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @nrek:
    you will not be able to stop and hover or something, its a jet not a heli and will only move forward, maybe yiou can slow down a bit you'll never be able to brake

@e-freak: we have no possibility to get into vertexshaders, but its planned to spawn the clouds and not to preplace them by hand

@swizzle: possible :P
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome! It's really cool to see such a simple solution working so well :D
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    awesome work! really like the plane design. Finally zipped through the demo last night, very cool but I so wanted to explore the island more :D