Home Contests & Challenges Archives Warframe

Warframe Tennogen Contest Q&A

Replies

• EYSSIX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EYSSIX polycounter lvl 3
    @kary , I'm getting close to finishing my Alt-Mag Helmet submission. I hadn't seen the images for the fx layers on her helmet, but intend to have that effect on the visor. Should I create my own images for this or would it be possible to have the in-game fx images posted?  It would be awesome if we could get those so the effect is in line with the effects already on her helmets?

Thank you to all of the DE staff. Your hard work in supporting us in this contest has been tremendous and a great learning experience in general.

• DESizzlingCalamari
    @jeebs
    We're looking into this issue. A hacky fix right now is to start the Steam installation of Warframe and cancel it after the download starts. That should get rid of your error.
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Del said:
    @kary  just to confirm, 5k tris is the poly limit for the helmet?
    Somewhat soft (there are pieces that slightly more could be justified), but essentially yes.  We have to be respectful of our min-spec and all these things do add up.

@jeebs I let @DESizzlingCalamariknow, he's working on it with some folks at Valve.

@EYSSIX

@A bunch of people:  I'll do some more detail on the painter shader's help page then.  Crux of it is User 0 = RBG, User 1 = L8.  Your exporter takes the RGB from User 0 and puts User 1 into the Alpha chanel.  I export straight to game this way.  Note that you must screen your G and B channels on the folder level in painter, not per layer for it to work.  

I'm going to attach the files here as well -- but the help page will be updated in the future and this post won't, so check there for the latest.

Hope that helps.

• EYSSIX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EYSSIX polycounter lvl 3
    That's awesome @kary, Thank you for sharing!
    Am I correct in that these images for the mag fx layers are in the Evolution engine or is that a different application? I've really only used substance painter out of the allegorithmi applications and some times bitmap2marterial.
    Are the screenshots for the fx possibly from substance designer or? I know mags effects were in place a couple years before substance was even out so I'm assuming its something else.

I'll go back tonight and rework my tint layers as well. they're working but it would be nice to export them out as one file. Super Helpful.

• DERebecca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rekkou_109 I can ask about this but it depends on a number of things, I'll try and get a better idea by end-of-day.
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    @EYSSIX Yep that is in engine.  You could author that type of map in Substance Designer, but it is the sort of thing that might be faster with PS.  Not sure the best way to preview the movement... Just keeping in mind that it is one black and white map being modulated by another one might help a bit.  Bit beyond our scope with our app at the moment, perhaps if we have enough demand etc.

Glad that the Painter help update worked out.  Should have improved that awhile ago -- sorry y'all it has been busy lately :neutral: 

• EYSSIX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EYSSIX polycounter lvl 3
    @kary very cool. Yeah definitely. I'll see what I can come up with to try and match the effect. I have some ideas for how to present this in the final submission thread with an animated texture.

Cant wait to see what you guys have in store for us in U18. Missed the dev stream this time around. but its better that way. more of a holiday surprise. o/
  • jeebs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeebs polycounter lvl 11
    @DESizzlingCalamari thank you for the suggestion, but I couldn't find how to do this. It all goes like this: I press INSTALL, then NEXT, and after I press I AGREE on license agreement downloading start and I only see FINISH button, can't cancel instalation. or maybe I just didn't understant it correctly.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    @Rekkou_109 Unfortunately there cannot be an extension for this contest. 4 weeks has been a suitable duration for contests like this in the past.

As well, we have new events happening in December and January that shouldn't overlap with each other.

• DESizzlingCalamari
    @jeebs
    After you press FINISH, you can right click on the game in your Steam library and select Delete Local Content.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    @kary Thank you! That's much more functional :)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    For the sake of maintaining coloring consistency on helmets,  could we have access to the Tennogen-compatible color customization PNGs for Mag and Volt ? As far as I am aware the wiki only has the "content creation" ID masks for these characters.

Thanks !
  • Takai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Takai vertex
    Aight, I got all the other tints to work fine in SP with the file provided from DEKary (thanks a bunch!), but the base or Tint 0 never shows up Red on the Layer->User0. It is showing up as Tint Color 3's channel. I used the base smart material, but I am getting no luck, any ideas?

Edit: Ohhhh snap, got the Base Layer on the provided Smart Material to work. If you run into the same wall heres how to smuggle your Red channel under it: 
    - Layers [v] User0: just set it to User0 so you can see the channels
    - Goto "Base" layer: Set User0 to Red (1,0,0)
    - Make sure User1 is at 0.0 for its slider
  • Screamheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Screamheart polycounter lvl 8
    I'm having 2 major issues currently.

1. When I'm in the Waframe TennoGen preview, the tint mask is only letting me use the 4th color. The other 3 colors do nothing. I used the files provided, so it's not an issue with the model/maps.
    2. Could you go into more detail about what the User0 and User1 in your guide for SP are, and how to get them where they need to be. My User0 is black and white (Black being the red) and the User1 is all white.
  • Clyptic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for all the post regarding the Shader!
    I am starting to get most things working, but now I have a new issue....I am getting texture seems when I import my model into the Tennogen tool. I do not have any issue with seems when viewing in maya, marmoset, or substance painter. Does the map need to be a specific type or do some channels need to be changed? It all look good aside from the seems. 
  • MrAwexome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrAwexome polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for that! You saved me what I'm sure would have been an hour or two of frustration.
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    @pior Damn that is a flaw in my logic.  We started the workshop with skins for the bodies of those characters, so people would be authoring those from scratch and wouldn't need those files.  Which was handy as we haven't converted those characters to PBR yet, so the files don't exist.  So Mynki is going to run me through his Designer graph of doom this afternoon and I'll convert Mag and Volt and the alt helms as fast as I can.  In the meantime I'm attaching their body's existing tintmasks in a zip so that you can at least get some sense of colour continuity.  My apologies for that everyone!  Should be sorted out in a few days and I'll do the base bodies first, get the content files on the help site updated and message back here.

@takai Yep User1 to black should sort that out.  I thought I'd set it that way in the smart material... though it might make the layer white if you apply the smart material before you add the channel.  Or I might have snafued.

@ScreamHeart  Are you using "
    UploaderDefaultExample" or "UploaderWeaponExample"  These are the only ones where the tintmask will work.  The ones in the Mag / Volt folders are just ID maps for use in your texturing DCC app.

The tintmask is a 4 channel mask that allows players to control colour.  Channel 1 is red and lines up with tint1 in Tennogen / Warframe.  Channel 2 is green / Tint 1.  Blue / Tint 2.  Alpha / Tint 3.  In painter User 0 has your Red Green and Blue channels, the texturing guide is fairly extensive in how to work with them.  The User1 is the alpha channel.  You combine those two channels on export to make your Tintmask (as per the Warframe Export preset that I uploaded).  https://warframe.com/steamworkshop/help/index.php?page=texturing-guide near the bottom.

@Clyptic Which sort of seams?  Is it fine grey lines around the areas in your Tintmasks?  That could mean an issue with screening the green and blue channels.  If it's more general seams it could be something with the tool that Jeremy fixed this morning that we're hoping to have pushed out mid day.  A screenshot or two might describe it better.  Tennogen is running off OBJ and not FBX so we're losing some fidelity there as well, but we haven't run into too many full on eye bleed issues with the differences yet.

• Screamheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kary I was trying to test it using the Volt model and maps. So you're saying those will not work correctly? I guess my question with Substance Painter is; How do you tell it that User0 is the RGB, and User1 is the Alpha. You helped me understand a bit better, but I read your guide about 10 times to try and figure it out and I'm still coming up short.
  • EYSSIX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EYSSIX polycounter lvl 3
    @kary I'm not sure if this is actually causing an issue with my normal map export out of painter, but for some reason when I preview the height solo in painter the RGB mask comes through in the solo mode. like its screened or something. I'll update this later once I'm home with a screenshot. Also solo viewing the user1 alpha tint only shows white on my side. everything else is checkered (completely transparent) I need to investigate further and know you guys are super busy, but thought I would mention it in case anyone has run into this.

Thanks again!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kary - thanks for these files ! As far as I am concerned this is all I needed in order to work out the tinting for these two Warframes. And the color chart is a nice bonus :smile: 

Of course having access to all the PBR/Tennogen-compatible PNG maps for Mag and Volt would be very useful as well (since that would allow for a accurate preview in the viewer, thus allowing for perfect consistency with the base bodies), but I understand that these might require some time to get prepared.
  • Clyptic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kary Sorry, it might help if I was more specific. I meant to say it was a normal map seem. Mirrored parts show up fine, but I get a seem on areas where the UVs were cut. I did have to flip the green channel in order to get my normals to show up correctly, because my bake was done in openGL. But I don't know what would cause the seems. 
  • Screamheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Clyptic If it's the same issue I had, you need to go into Maya with your low poly model, and go to Mesh Display>Soften Edges. 
  • Clyptic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Screamheart Thanks for the suggestion, but the normals have been softened. They also read perfectly fine in other programs. 
  • Serduk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, guys!
    Can you offer some programs with which one I will be able to create UV? I tried to do that via Blender 3D, but it's does not work in Tennogen tool.
    I have not so much experience and I have sculpted too difficult mesh for good unwraping via Blender. 
  • Screamheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Serduk Hey. I was able to figure out how to create my UVs in Maya in only 1 day. And honestly, if you cut your model into smart polygroups and unwrap in Z-Brush, you can also get pretty good results. I ended up starting in Z-Brush, then doing some UV work in Maya.

I still need someone to help me figure out the Substance Painter deal. I followed all of the steps I could in the guides here, but I'm clearly missing something. Message me with Skype info if you're willing to help.
  • DESizzlingCalamari
    We've released the tool update that @kary was referencing. Please check if this version of the tool fixes the normals issue.
  • Clyptic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately the update did not change anything. If I am the only one getting the issue, perhaps I am doing something wrong? It just doesn't make sense because the maps works fine otherwise. 
    Here is an image showing exactly what I am talking about. 

• EYSSIX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EYSSIX polycounter lvl 3
    @Clyptic
    It may be your uv layout. flip faces etc. take a look at volt and the way DE placed the uv islands in the UDIM space above. his face is split in two and the second half is in the UDIM above the standard 1:1 UV space. Not sure how your uvs are placed, but may be a place to check.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kary , @DESizzlingCalamari , @EYSSIX :  I can confirm that I too am getting the same seam shading issue as @Clyptic when previewing an asset in Tennogen, even if said asset  displays fine in Toolbag with Mikkt. (the screenshot below was taken after the recent update that just rolled out / nov 24th)

Here are some details about the asset used in the above example, as well as some remarks about the issue :

- The mesh used in this example is all smooth (no hard edges), since introducing hard edges when not needed is usually a risk potentially causing errors (I notice that the meshes for all the Warframe characters are all smooth too, which makes sense).
    - For the sake of it I did a test bake of the same asset with hard edges on all UV islands (which is usually not needed when things are synced anyways, especially on organic models where gradient compression is not an issue) but the issue remained. I also tried a few different tangent basis conversions in Handplane but I couldn't find one compatible with the Tennogen viewer.
    - I have the gut feeling that Tennogen might not be using Mikkt, firstly because of the aforementioned shading error but also because of the fact that it is requiring y-down normals rather than y-up (of course there is more to Mikkt than that, but that's a hint ... )
    - The problem also affects provided example assets. Here are similar artefacts spotted at the UV seams of the body meshes for Exc and Mag :

- On the plus side, this basically means that these assets will be a very good testbed for the DE guys to track down the issue :)
    - It somehow looks as if the models were shaded according to the way a flat plane would shade if it was given these normalmaps (if that makes sense !)
    -  And from there, I have the feeling that this issue might only be affecting Tennogen but not the game itself - meaning that our submissions will probably look fine in the end. But of course that's just a guess :)

I hope this helps !
  • Clyptic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @eyssix Thanks for the suggestion, I have my UVs offset in the same way. 
    @pior Good to see it's not just me and nice find. I did not think to check the default models for it, perhaps it is just the viewer.
  • MasterNoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try to invert your normal map green channel anyways, because I think the example assets have always been that way and the items I tested (a syandana and the sybaris) both look fine.
  • jeebs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeebs polycounter lvl 11
    @pior 
    I can confirm that I also had this problem in tennogen viewport, but I just ignored it and tried to use as less UV islands as possible to have less seems.

• Clyptic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Masternoob Inverting my green channel was required initially for my normal map to work properly in tennogan, however these seem results were after doing so. Good suggestion though. 
  • Screamheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are screenshots of my Substance Painter. What am I missing? I spent the last 9 hours, and a good chunk of yesterday watching tutorials to get this far. User0 seems to be correct as far as I can see, but User1 shows up transparent unless I select the mask itself. Thanks. Please be detailed.
  • Victor29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys! I have found a problem when inserting my helmet in the Tenogen tool. When i asigned the normal map it did not wrap on the surface of the helmet in a normal way. In stead it looks like an image that repeats over and over on the surface.

As you can see the normal map looks as if it were on a planar projevtion type rather than an UV projection.

I,m relatively new at this and am using Luxology Modo as my main tool. And modo does not have many obj export options. I have to open the file with blender and export it from there so i can get it in tenogen because, for some reason, exporting directly from modo is not working. My best bet is that something is happening to the UV map during the file transfer from modo to blender. But as i said i,m relatively new at this and therefore am not sure.  If someone has encountered this issue before and knows how to solve it, i would apreciate the help. 

Best of luck to everyone!
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    From Pior :
    "
    -  And from there, I have the feeling that this issue might only be affecting Tennogen but not the game itself - meaning that our submissions will probably look fine in the end. But of course that's just a guess "

Yep that should be true.  Jeremy is going to take another look when he has time, but our shader experts are a bit strapped for time at the moment.  A big feature of the Tennogen tool is to give people who don't have access to Marmoset / etc a way to show their work.  The biggest feature is a (largely) valid preview of the tintmasks, as working on those without being able to see them would be very un-intuitive.  

On the hard surface side (which is my side) we do smooth groups per UV shell, as gradients are the devil for us.  We have also started to use 3DC compression on normals where appropriate, but the fewer variables to deal with the better.  Characters are made as you describe, and have worked out without much issue :).

@Screamheart:  Seems to be transparent in all your layers as well.  Can you add a fill layer to your Tint3 folder.  Turn on User1.  Change the colour to white?  Also go down to the Base Layer.  Turn on User1 and change that one to black.

@Victor29:  Not familiar enough with either software to help unfortunately.  Hopefully someone else can jump in.

Colours applied there are just random -- no plans to change the character's default schemes.
    I did get Mag and Volt's base materials converted over.  They might be tweaked a bit further on, but should be ballpark.  Our web folks should have the new zip added to the content page in a few minutes.
    NOTE:  These textures will require "Spec Map is Metal map" to be turned OFF to work.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kary Awesome news ! Thanks a ton for the help and support. The materials are looking pretty damn nice in that screenshot :smile: 
     And yeah, gradient compression sure is the Achilles' heel of the whole process, even for fully synched pipelines ... So many things to think about ...

@Victor29 While it is hard to tell what went wrong in your particular case, I can at least confirm that it is possible to export an OBJ for an alt helmet out of Blender in a way that is compatible with Tennogen, so at least that rules out this specific variable.

(On a side note, so far I have not been able to export a combined OBJ containing both body and helm with two sub materials and sub objects as it is done with the Excalibur example file, but unless I am mistaken I don't think that this is required for an helm submission anyways so that part shouldn't be too much source for concern.)
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    I've only done it from Max so far and that's just standard "apply materials, export" and the two materials come in as expected.  

No worries about how the viewer OBJ is structured.  We are looking for an FBX as part of the submit and that will be what winds up in game (with Tangents and Binormals if we're lucky).  Everything in the Tennogen viewer is to make for the best ability to preview your piece, and help make for good marketing material for you guys when seen on the Steam part, etc.  

https://n8k6e2y6.ssl.hwcdn.net/steamworkshop/help/assets/downloads/UploaderMagExample.zip 
    https://n8k6e2y6.ssl.hwcdn.net/steamworkshop/help/assets/downloads/UploaderVoltExample.zip
    Just went up.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there again @kary - I am currently testing these maps, and while most materials are indeed very close to the ingame look (give or take some colors to boost up a bit in the viewer in order to match with the defaults, but that's indeed very minor) there seems to be an issue with Mag's untinted/white areas - they seem to come out as dark and metallic as opposed to white and rubbery, as seen here :

Looking at the provided maps, this seems to be caused by that specific region having a dark Diffuse, high Specular and low Roughness/high Gloss, as opposed to bright Diffuse, medium Specular and medium Roughness (I think !)

I hope this helps !
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Short version:  Glad you asked about this stuff the other day.  The look expressed in the new files is what we intend.

Long version:  I'm very glad that you asked the other day.  The in game screen shot that you're showing has Mag's blinn-phong textures as they are in the game.  The ones in the content files from this afternoon will be live in the game very soon.

Mag and Volt are both older characters and our tech has changed quite a bit.  At the time that they were made we didn't have the type of cube map that would let us depict metal the way that we would like -- our zone maps weren't modulated by light probe intensity, so there was a tendency to glow in the dark (WF Trivia:  That is why the older 'prime gold' responded differently).  So with that limitation in mind we would use a brighter white in those spots on the WFs and it worked out reasonably well.  Once we switched to PBR our ability to define materials improved radically.  Volt and Mag's base textures hadn't been redone for the PBR shader, so I did that today.  In the case of Volt that meant little obvious change.   The metal connectors in his untintable area were also changed over, but those are very much tertiary details in his case.  For Mag it is a large change in one of her dominant forms reading differently.  I got a lot of help from Mynki to clarify how he wanted these two to look, and how to use  his quite awesome Designer setup to get Mag and Volt's base textures and Volt's core variations done.  Volt's changelist had  33 images touched and the new look will be on his alt helms and the skin variations we have done.  Same true of Mag by EoD tomorrow I hope.  

Quite relieved that we made that did that art direction iteration before the end of the contest, and not after.  Apologizes to not have thought that potential change through earlier.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad to hear that it's all working out :smile: 

On an unrelated note, something I just ran into regarding the submission process : everything uploads fine, but something seems broken when it comes to assigning the service provider splits. After assigning a % to Polycount and xnormal and pressing Save, I am getting : "An error was encountered while processing your request: 8". This happens through Steam as well as through Chrome. I am not sure if this is an issue on my end or on Steam's end, but I thought I'd bring it up ...
  • DESizzlingCalamari
    @pior
    That sounds like an error on the end of Steam. I'd suggest waiting a few hours and trying again. If the issue persists, you may want to contact Steam support at support.steampowered.com.

• Takai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Takai vertex
    Hello Everybody! 
    I have two three questions before I submit: 

- What is the object hierarchy to turn in for helmets? Do we basically just turn in the helmet.obj itself? Or do we turn in our helmet and the original body in a .obj pack, similar to the example (like the little picture)? 

- Secondly, if we are to turn in with the helmet and head both together in one .obj hierarchy  is there a way to link the color sliders of both the body and the helmet? (ie: if you make tint 1 on the body Red the tint 1 on the helmet will be that same Red you selected for the body.)

- Thirdly: Will 1024 x 1024 get rejected? If it does, then I will have to do the re-texture process all over, which i dont-ish mind.
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    @Takai it's in the fine print a bit but: 

Your final workshop upload must include your FBX for models, PNGs for textures and the Warframe Workshop Tool will guide you through their upload.
    So the OBJ is just for your viewing purposes.  We want an FBX for in game and the PNGs.... and I now realize that one of the links on the main contest thread doesn't go anywhere :pensive:  Will sort out and have a tighter list to copy / paste to answer these questions.

Secondly:  Sorry there isn't.  On the list if we get sufficient demand, but that is deep in the land of javascript and shaders where fearful beast with large teeth tread.

Thirdly:  Quite likely.  1024x2048 for a helmet would be much preferred.
  • Takai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Takai vertex
    @kary
    Thanks for the quick and helpful response. I already went back and corrected the UV. The one I did before was not so pretty, so I did some more topo work on the low (did not know 5k, aimed at 3k before), smoothing groups stuff, rebuilt the UV, then put a little more wear and tear on the high. Got a better bake off the bat from just being more careful, while getting the 2k x 1k. Now just gotta paint it again... which is just fine knowing the proper setup. Painting is really relaxing too so why not.

The Color Slider link thing I can completely understand. Thanks again ^^

• Blob_monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there are two examples of poly limits for the skana, one is 3250, the other is 3500..... which is it D:
  • Takai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Takai vertex
    Aight, all saddled up with a working Tennogen preview with all correct stuffs. Last question (I think :S):

When we turn the .fbx (and the texture files) for the helmet, what all do you want in there? 
    - Just the Helmet model (with UV)?
    - Helmet connected to the body? 
    - Textures plugged into the mesh or just model with UV?
  • DERebecca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Blob_monster
    3500 for the Skana!

@takaiJust the UVed model in the .fbx, please!
  • Takai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Takai vertex
    @DERebecca ;

Ty, got my pony ready for the show now ^^

• ZukeSangue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im not sure if it's a problem on my end (most likely) but everything on my weapon is SUPER shiney