• Jedairusz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedairusz polycounter lvl 13
  • Rav3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rav3 interpolator
    Great works everyone! Here are some icons on which I have worked for awhile and some samples of their real size. Merry Christmas and Happy New year PC! :)

nlicons2.jpg

nliconshq.jpg
  • Darkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkbox polycounter lvl 8
    Hi! awesome works in this thread, this my wip.
    Thread link: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104068
    Thanks.

Captura_zps3132892d.jpg
  • Daft.Eng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cross-posting from my thread been tweaking the textures and lighting, a fair bit to edit still, but It's looking nicer.

skorpionnew.png
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alberto
    i get what you're saying here, but you're still not getting a good amount of variety, it looks like you just copied and pasted. doesn't feel like someone labored over that stiching, plus some of the spots you have the stitching on, doesn't look too hot.. maybe breaking pieces off the bumper or something, something to at least break up the silhouette...

ok so i went to PS to illustrate what i mean...

Heya dude!
    thanks for getting stuck in :D I think you're right about the damage to the bumpers, I doubt ill be vastly changing the silhouette of the car without severely damaging it (which Id love to do, but seems a shame seeing as ive put so much work into the body of the car!) The areas where the bumpers are cracked need work for sure, this was a test to see what I could achieve in Zbrush and what was the best way to do it. :D

@Ace-Angel
    That...that is an exaggeration, c'mon now, are you seriously trying to read the silhouette of a car now, and if it dictates if it's new or not? Most of the time such information is surface based, not silhouette based at all.

Car's are 2 ton machines, made out of metal or hardy material, they're hardly going to be showing dents, and if you look at the pictures and video Scott posted, you will see that plenty of those cars had nasty bumps and bruises, but nothing to the level that changes the outline of the car.

Hell, you can even have a car dent the side of the door, leave a license plate and no paint on it, and it still wouldn't change the outline. I have seen this happen several times infront of me, no outline change at all.

There are many crits you can give the piece, such as how the dents look 'mushy', the stitching is too 'clean', since you can clearly see that when people stitch the cars they do one-liners loops instead of crosses, etc, but to mention at such an early stage the outline of all things...

Heya dude!

Yeah, I see what you mean, ive seen extreme cases where the actual silhouette has been changed by impacts and what not, but that is mostly where panels (bumpers etc) are removed and the car suffers for this aesthetically (hence why I wont be doing it!). I will be going back through the car, (restarting the metal damage for sure) and confining the drift stitch to the fibreglass and the denting to the metal, but ill probably keep this to a minimum. Im going to rust up the problem areas (around the arches) etc but ill probably try and keep the rest of the body as straight as possible, although id like to offset a few panels etc. I was using something like this for reference for the stitching:
    dscf0051d.jpg which is quite "clean" but then again, it looks almost like the owner is trying to make the stitch un-noticeable rather than it simply being there for function. Ill make sure to fix that.

Thanks for the help dude!

@kaptainkernals
    The large issue is the stitches don't read like cable ties, they're all X's, close together, which would to more harm than good, any stress on those ties so close together and the plastic is much more likely to crack and tear.

Plenty of good examples in here:
    http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drif...stitching.html

The other issue is: no one in their right mind would cable tie plastic body parts onto metal.

It's silly, and I've never seen someone drill holes into their fenders so they can cable stitch their side skirt onto the body. Most people I know would just toss the side skirts.

Right now you're using the cable ties to attach the bumbers and sideskirts, which would never happen, those parts have 4 or more clips that attach it to points on the frame. If the bumper fell off, they're more likely to cable stitch from those points to the frame from inside the bumper, than to drill holes into the body work to attach something.

The main issue of how you did it, was cable tieing to the body - the metal. Cross stitching or straight stitching, thats a personal preference.

Heya man!

Yeah, i think you've hit the nail on the head really, confining the stitch to fibreglass will be much more believable than having the stitch running across the metal panelling. Less uniform spacing and positioning of the cable ties will hopefully sell the believably also, ill probably try and keep a varied selection of "stitches" in terms of a few crosses a few straight stitches and maybe even a few zipties missing.

Thanks for the help! Most appreciated, got a busy few days ahead I think :D
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    yea i think it was the cross stitching that i had the biggest issuew with, because it looked like the stitching was with laces or something. That, and I'd never seen that done before now. Personally I's suggest making the stitches a bit longer, having more straight ones, and modelling a few with the actual lump at the end of the cable tie, maybe even leave a few that haven't had the tails cut off
  • LordEsther
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

You guys produce some astounding work, it silences me all the time.

I am in my 2nd Year of College, doing a Games Design Course, yet I am still quite lame at modelling :/ I was wondering if anybody could give me some links to tutorials, or just give me some tips?

Many thanks!
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    high poly thingy hpgaurd_zps7f58f19c.jpg
  • nazeil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nazeil interpolator
    Boy I've missed a lot of stuff in this thread over the last few months. Such great things happening here.

Here is an old bust I decided to dust off and turn into a realtime asset. Rendered in Marmoset. I'm still working on her, trying to get all the materials to read the way I want them to. Some specific areas are the eyes and lips. The iris' probably went waaay too big, so going to have back and fix that. Also the lips are very flat. Need to work on popping those out, and tweaking the shape a little.

Any other critiques and suggestions welcome. Thanks!

morena15.jpg
  • Denny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
    Rav3 wrote: »
    Great works everyone! Here are some icons on which I have worked for awhile and some samples of their real size. Merry Christmas and Happy New year PC! :)
    I find the icons really appealing. Awesome work, I really have nothing to C&C.
  • NecronPariah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First real post here! Anyway, this is Zoey, a character I've been working on as an combined exercise in silhouettes, tone, and conceptual work:
    Zoeysampledetailed_zps6af69e5d.png
  • Hideouscreation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hideouscreation polycounter lvl 5
    Worked on this a few pages back, decided that the arms and the legs seemed a bit silly, so i serioused it up a bit more.

The whole idea is, is that i'm remaking my first Z-brush blob (left) to my current skillset.
    oK3CJ.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    finally upgraded from a small to a medium wacom tablet and to celebrate heres a anatomy/colour study :)
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fozwroth polycounter lvl 9
    Ending this year in style-with a barrel! :poly142: even the polycount is 2012

still WIP rendered in Marmoset
    BarrelWIP2.png
  • dirty bassett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Struggling along with this.
    sidep.pngfrontv.png
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    Sick today and I feel death is upon me, wanted to be somewhat productive, so I started sculpting Melona...I've been dying to sculpt a Queen's Blade character for a while, I'll have to finish her up much later though...worked on it for about ~2hrs
    MelonaWiP.jpg
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
  • Sammoh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5d13b6058366c4369b3d71df216c714f.png

Here is what I've been workingon the past couple of days. This is my first post here on PolyCount. I would love to hear feedback from the community.
  • ImsumDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImsumDave polycounter lvl 11
  • mikhga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    Great work everyone!

An update on my arena environment. Been working in Cascade with some dust effects as well as fixing lightmapping stuff. Next up is some torches.

arena_environment_19.jpg
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    Nice work guys and girls keep it up

@ scotthomer thanks dude, I forgot about your old Portfolio how cool it was, very original

@ Polygoblin hey Benjamin how are ya. Thanks a bunch, specially from you. nice

@ Paul68Rageous Thanks for the advice, I will think about it.
    On that Smith Carbine of yours, You might wanna tighten the bevels bit. Also compare your barrel hole with the reference one yours is kinda big.

thanks everyone

Enjoy
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    Nice barrel Fozworth.

Anyway, quick weekend project I decided to give a go after seeing the Hobbit for the second time I wanted to do some kind of medieval fantasy character. Now onto retopology! So many projects!

And so little time...

Oh, and cheers gilesruscoe for the mini hair tut, helped me save a lot of time using splines.

highpoly01.jpg
  • Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gungriffon Geona polycounter lvl 18
    This year I got very inspired by the development of the indie game The Other Brothers (I've discovered here on Polycount), so I produce a couple of fanart based on his universe.

This latest one was my holyday card for the team. Hope you enjoy too:

dadoalmeida_tobgift.png

And with this one I think I`m done pimping on PCount this year. Wish you all friendly members the best - it a pleasure to check WAYWO and Sketchthread from time to time. Saúde!

I wish the game had looked remotely as interesting as this piece makes it seem
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10

dude, ouch...
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    r4ptur3 wrote: »
    dude, ouch...

Right? Don't know what that was about...
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I wish this comment had remotely any relevance to anything in this thread.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Finally started something for myself tonight (just a couple of hour in). Gonna work more on the likeness and then do a stylization pass on him. End goal is to put him in Marmoset, etc.

data_wip01_zpsd42dbf98.jpg
  • BrianP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianP polycounter lvl 7
  • Sakunia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sakunia polycounter lvl 7
    lXQJi.jpg
    I wanna ride my bicycle!
  • Klash-120
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klash-120 polycounter lvl 6
  • Evil raz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Evil raz polycounter lvl 10
    XSBo8.jpg

Work in progress.
    Critic would be appreciative.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    more WIP, working out the foliage would be next. ill save that for another day. The fatigue is getting to me. lol

gatewip_zpsb27322a7.jpg
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    just finished this, i know it needs more weathering, but i suck at texturing
    (3ds max viewport grabs)

colt.jpg
  • Gusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YEY! randomly I just dug up and watched ze Goonies last night :poly136:
    Looks good so far :)

The-Goonies-the-goonies-673248_400_269.jpg
    Finally started something for myself tonight (just a couple of hour in). Gonna work more on the likeness and then do a stylization pass on him. End goal is to put him in Marmoset, etc.

data_wip01_zpsd42dbf98.jpg
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Klash-120: I would consider muting your colors in the environment. The gold and reds distract the eye from the creatures and their purple eggs. I had trouble keeping my attention on them, which is what I would guess you're going for.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    FIddling around with UDK with some random test metal object I threw together : )

testprop.jpg
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good tor!
  • TehSplatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TehSplatt polycounter lvl 11
    1 or 2 hour quick sculpt . Original by Carlos Huante http://www.carloshuanteart.com/album_archive/index.html

Posting it here because i was wondering if any one had tips on rendering/presentation because my renders all ways look so average and gross haha

Apething.png
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Snefer wrote: »
    FIddling around with UDK with some random test metal object I threw together : )

testprop.jpg
    Hey man is this dDo ? looks cool :)
  • maarten_dominicus
    Hello polycounters,

My 3d-model of the ACB-M81(a knife). Hope you like it :D

Any tips or criticism is/are welcome.

Speed texturing:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxd4CmPKJhw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxd4CmPKJhw[/ame]

render1.jpg

render3.jpg?m

:)
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 wrote: »
    just finished this, i know it needs more weathering, but i suck at texturing
    (3ds max viewport grabs)

colt.jpg

Your normals are quite broken, especially around the bottom of the grip, it looks like a case of incorrect smoothing groups combined with not enough geometry to hold the shape and the normals are as a result buckling. The same effect can be seen around the top of the grip also. It is best to separate the different smoothing groups into different UV islands and visa versa and bake that way, so you don't get areas where light is trying to interpolate around a corner using 1 smoothing group. Polygons are generally much cheaper than textures, so it would be alot better if you used a 1k texture and two or three times the polygons for a weapon like this.

testprop.jpg

Fantastic work as always Tor, hate you. :D
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10

testprop.jpg

I want your flats and material setup. :D
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth

[IMG*]http://torfrick.com/Art/WIP/testprop.jpg[/IMG]

Impressive ! What is your texture resolution to have a such nice level of details ?
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    thanks Hector, ill desat his skin as soon as possible! :)

Great working everyone!
    Renaud (i liked your last username better :P) Looks great as usual!
    tehsplatt thats more than i can manage in zb haha
    how did you render this model?
    evilraz: looks pretty sweet man. following a concept?

Started with a mech design suit few hours in. Zbursh 4
    I think i will be exaggerating the anatomy further
    vqobib.jpg
  • nazeil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nazeil interpolator
    Renaud Galand - awesome! Man that makes me want to go watch goonies, such a great movie. I like the style you're putting into him.
    Tor - badass as always. Setting the bar for good material read.

Some more tweaking on this bust.

morena17.jpg
  • penE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penE polycounter lvl 7
    Some stylized props and textures :):

0Xoxz.jpg
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    Klash-120 wrote: »
    8323899533_eb8e251de6_o.jpg

Looks like you have weird Ao maps on the metal. Did you use nDo to generate those Ao maps
  • nukes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nukes polycounter lvl 4
    man you guys are a bunch of art bullies

crosspost from here

lowtex.png
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
    Molluck from Oddworld :D