polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
danidem polycounter lvl 11
EDIT! Finished!!

1wYbP

Latest Update!

dota_disruptor_sculpt.jpg

There we go!!!

I'll update tomorrow all of this with a good presentation, Lore and all the stuff... but to get an idea, Disruptor went back to the Oglodi Lands and explored deeper on the lost civilization to scrutinize deeper the secrets of bolt and thunder.

One of the old books talk about Rampant, a gluttonous bird-creature created by Zeus and gone wild. The document talks about some adventurers that saw the creature running on forgoten steppes, eating bolts and running fast like lighting through it, leaving behind him a thunder trail. Noone of those little siluettes sawn by those persons are identical but the shape of Rampant is similar. He found a closest picture of the creature, and he went to hunt him.

(Tomorrow he'll hunt him I guess!)

Cheers!

1dSEY

Update 10/14

1eANo

Update 10/21

1hgvk

Update 10/24

dota_disruptor_mount1.jpg

Update 10/26

1iPTP

Update 10/31

dota_disruptor_mount3.jpg

Update 11/04

dota_disruptor_mount4.jpg

Update 11/06

1nepx

Update 11/10

dota_hammer_wip2.jpg

Update 11/10

dota_hammer_wip3.jpg

Update 11/12

dota_disruptor_01.jpg

Update 11/15

1qkOg

Replies

• Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Looking really nice so far! I'm digging the direction you decided to go in, he has a much more arched look to him. :)
  • Mike.j.c.
    Just looking at it makes me wanna ride it!
    nice one
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Love the concept danidem, Disruptor will look great getting around on this guy.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Extraordinary as usual!

The only problem I can see is that the polycount will skyrocket because of all the spikes.
  • Qwiggalo
    Offline / Send Message
    Qwiggalo polycounter lvl 8
    Spudnik wrote: »
    Extraordinary as usual!

The only problem I can see is that the polycount will skyrocket because of all the spikes.

Non-issue, most of the spikes can be flat planes.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Does Disruptor have transparency enabled?
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Quite an exiting design. Looking forward seeing this modelled. :)
  • Xeramon
    The first one and the third looks realy amazing!
    Can't wait to see the model.
  • Mark.N

Disruptor himself, or any hero for that matter, does not need '$alphatest 1' in their base .vmt (disruptor_color.vmt in this case, or more specifically mount_color.vmt) as long as you go ahead and add it to your own .vmt upon compiling.

mount_color.vmt does not have $alphatest 1 so be sure that when you go to compile your materials that you add it if you plan to use alpha cards for the spikes.

The concept looks great and I really look forward to seeing how the mesh turns out.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought there was some rule against using alphas and double sided faces on heroes that don't already have them enabled by default?! Don't get me wrong, I'd love if that wasn't the case and I'm just remembering incorrectly. Follow up question, though: Can you test custom .VMTs in-client (at work so I can't check)? I seem to remember that you'd have to replace a default item, for example and couldn't just use the submit tool (which would cut into iteration time in a big way). Again, may be wrong on that one.
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Mark.N wrote: »
    Disruptor himself, or any hero for that matter, does not need '$alphatest 1' in their base .vmt (disruptor_color.vmt in this case, or more specifically mount_color.vmt) as long as you go ahead and add it to your own .vmt upon compiling.

mount_color.vmt does not have $alphatest 1 so be sure that when you go to compile your materials that you add it if you plan to use alpha cards for the spikes.

The concept looks great and I really look forward to seeing how the mesh turns out.

Cheers for the additional info on transparency Mark, will be incredibly handy. Do you know if i add the line myself will i be able to view the transparency in the stock standard publish new item window? (Edit: beat me to it Spudnik!)
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Yea I am loving all of this.

I think if you add the 2nd eye (in your 2nd thumbnail) preferably the higher one a little more behind the would be "main eye", would make It not look like a regular bird and maybe make It the demon eye. ;)

Reminds me of the ravenlord which i love so.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Love the concept! Very well done
  • Mark.N
    Yes, you have to replace a default item in order to view custom opacity on an item (Assuming your hero does not natively support it). In order to do so (Use Dota 2 Test for this so you don't screw up your main game) follow these steps:

1) Go into your main steam Library, right click Dota 2 Test, go to properties, updates tab, and from the drop down choose "Do not update this game automatically".

2) Using GcfScape, extract all of the game files from pak01_dir.vpk located under dota 2 test/dota into dota 2 test/dota. This essentially de-compresses all of the game files.

3) Rename all .vpk files located within dota 2 test/dota to something like pak01_000.vpkOLD. This will cause the game to load the uncompressed files rather than using the .vpk archives.

4) Using Studio Compiler, de-compile whichever default item you wish to replace in order to obtain it's .qc file. In this case it would be /dota/models/heroes/disruptor/mount.mdl. The only line that needs to be edited in the .qc file is the very first one; $cd "<insert your file path here>"

You may use any standard text editor for writing .qc; I prefer notepad++ as you can get a .qc language plugin for easier reading.

5) Export your custom model (as a .smd) from your 3D program being sure to follow the naming conventions of the default item you are replacing.

6) Using GuiStudioMDL, load up the relevant .qc file and compile your new .mdl; copy it into dota/models/heroes/<your hero here>.

7) Using VTFEdit, import all of your .tga textures into the program and simply export them out as .vtf files; follow the naming conventions of the default item you wish to replace.

8 ) Using a text editor, modify the .vmt file for the slot of your choosing and add $alphatest 1 somewhere in the middle of the code. I generally place it right before the Proxies line.

9) Launch Dota 2 Test and use the Loadouts window located under the Customize tab to view your custom item. It should show up as the new default. It should also work in-game as well if you create your own lobby, join a team on All-Pick, populate it with a passive bot or two, and choose your hero to view your item inside of the game map.

That being said, Spudnik may actually be correct about there being a rule against using opacity on heroes where it isn't already supported. Quoting the workshop page
    Valve wrote:
    Alpha channel of 32 bit "_color" texture can be used as opacity for your item if alpha is allowed for this hero.
    So keep in mind that you may not be able to use alpha cards for the spikes and may have to model them out. Lucky for you the mount has a rather high polygon budget :)
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Hey spudnik

im not sure about that, but as it will be a new model and texture, it can br enabled on the vtm

each weapon has it own vtm or the entire character has one? now im in doubt
  • Qwiggalo
    Offline / Send Message
    Qwiggalo polycounter lvl 8
    I beleive I read on the dev forums from robin walker that each hero has one VMT for all of their items and base.
  • Mark.N
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    Hey spudnik

im not sure about that, but as it will be a new model and texture, it can br enabled on the vtm

each weapon has it own vtm or the entire character has one? now im in doubt

It's per object.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Mark.N wrote: »
    It's per object.

just checked the files, its per split item

in the disruptor, for example, the hair has one vmt, the body other, and the mount other

the mount dont have the alpha but as a custom item i dont see any problems in adding it
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    But don't all the items get combined into one model at the start of the game? How does it work then? If only one of the items has the transparency flag, does the whole combined one get it? If that's the case, then they probably won't allow you to use it because of this quote that Mark.N found earlier in the thread:
    Alpha channel of 32 bit "_color" texture can be used as opacity for your item if alpha is allowed for this hero.
  • danidem
    Offline / Send Message
    First is first :)

@ Computron: We'll try our best to make that happen!

@ Bobo: Thanks mister! I appreciate that

@ Xeramon: Thank you! I still have to keep working on the creature study in 2D. Anyways, the modeler already started :)

@ Supdnik: Yaaay thanks!! :D

@ $!nz: I already played with the beak to don't make it look like a regular bird... the idea is to avoid the demonic looking because of the natura of the character riding him, a Radiant. Anyways you can be badass AND be one of the good guys... that's the challenge! Thanks!

@ Mark.N: Thanks man!

@ Xeramon: Damn I'm getting depressed... let me play a bit around with the creature after sending him to the 3D factory :P I want to make sure everything it's working on him as well as giving a real good concept and reference for the 3D artist, for me, it's a must :) Cheers!

@ AimBiZ: Thanks for the kind words!!

@ Lennyagony: Thank you!

@ Mike.j.c.: Glad you dig!

@ shrew81: Agree! I played a lot with that, thanks a lot!

I was supossed to have more time starting yesterday to be full time for this, but seems like it will be next Monday :poly005:

Anyways I'll keep this updated everyday (:

There we go with a Wip of the sheet, we'd like to share all the process either final stuff or not.

1eANo

I'm actually working on the final shapes of the character. I'd like to give to Soldeus (my 3D mate on this adventure) as I said before a really well defined concept/sheet and references to work with.

Finally I decided going for a more agressive feeling for the feathers. It haves advantages everywhere: it fits better with an electrical creature, we can save polys, we set it appart for most birds out there, gives to it a more speedy feeling...

About the beak, the way the bottom part it blends it's more original in my opinion and, like the spike feathers, it set him appart from a common bird.

I made sure the spikes are sepparated enough to avoid any clipping issues with the body or the legs when he moves the head, and also that brings him so kind of lion looking wich I really like, it fits for a creature created by a god.

And still not the best presentation, the lore it's not finished.. Looks like hunting Rampant it's taking to Disruptor more than expected! I hope he gets it soon!

Cheers and thanks for stoppin' by here!
  • danidem
    Offline / Send Message
    And by the way guys, I'm really glad about that helpful technical chat you are having here around. I think it's gonna help a lot!
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    I want one IRL.

Also, I think I prefer the alternate beak.

Cheers!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Wow that concept is mad good! Love love love this!
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    But don't all the items get combined into one model at the start of the game? How does it work then? If only one of the items has the transparency flag, does the whole combined one get it? If that's the case, then they probably won't allow you to use it because of this quote that Mark.N found earlier in the thread:

humm, that is good question Spudnik

Mark, where you found that line? is on the Q&A thread?
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    REALLY liking where this is going! I hope you find out about the alpha conundrum.

Surprised they didn't go with DXT1 0,0,0 Black = transparent for everyone.

One minor suggestion, is I would really like to see a strap that holds the harness on the back.
  • Futashia
    this is so adorable!!! ADORABLY DEADLY!! hah! Amazing concept :D
  • PoPcorn
    Looking forward to an update!
  • LuCh!
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    haha, awesome! totally love it!
  • danidem
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments!

Next!

1hgvk
  • danidem
    Offline / Send Message
    Edit: Got a partner :)
  • danidem
    Offline / Send Message
    There we go with a wip on the presentation :) Like if I should be some kind of artist of the world of Dota documenting Disruptor tale :u

1hH5M

And I wanted to make sure (already made some rough overpainting) that when disruptor sits, he's overlapping on the right areas.

1hHo8

Already started some doodling on Disruptor :D

Cheers!
  • Beezow
    Did you really draw a hairy orc butt
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Dat ass.

This is looking awesome!
    Can't wait to see it all come together.
  • danidem
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha I uploaded the "hf" version, sorry >.< (I forgot to hide the butt layer)

Thanks for saying it, Beezow! (and thanks Bronto!)
  • Caldria
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria polycounter lvl 8
    Gorgeous concepts so far. Really looking forward to seeing how this is translated into 3D.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    INSANE Daniden =]
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    This looks sweet! Will be watching :D
  • Danglebob
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
    really great concepts. i cant wait to see more from you.
  • danidem
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments!
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    REALLY liking where this is going! I hope you find out about the alpha conundrum.

Surprised they didn't go with DXT1 0,0,0 Black = transparent for everyone.

One minor suggestion, is I would really like to see a strap that holds the harness on the back.

Jacque, as you can see I've made some counterweights on the rear area at the chair. Doing a strap on the back could give some problems when it rigs :P Thanks for the point!
  • ACap
    Offline / Send Message
    ACap polycounter lvl 9
    Great mount. Eagerly waiting for disruptor and 3d, of course, Hope your 3d matte will show us awesomeness as well as you)
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Dam Love the colours too :D

Grats on getting a partner :D
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks a little off balance now, as if he would tip over on his head if he were to stand straight.
  • danidem
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron, imagine him without the feathers :) (I made the head smaller from the original concept just becuase of that)
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron wrote: »
    Looks a little off balance now, as if he would tip over on his head if he were to stand straight.

it doesnt feel out of balance for me, its like he is leaning forward to walk
  • HntrLuc
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys, I'm teaming up with danidem on this one.
    looking forward to making that concept 3d! :)

Here's a bit of an early start on the mount. Still tons left to do! I just wanted to add some 3D to the thread.

dota_disruptor_mount1.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
  • aeruz
    Offline / Send Message
    aeruz polycounter lvl 4
    reminds me of the raven mount on world of warcraft
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Loving it so far :) dynamesh FTW!!!