Home Technical Talk

AMD crimson drivers : does anyone having any issues

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
kolayamit polycounter lvl 13
I am using the latest AMD crimson drivers(hotfix version-nov 30) with AMD HD 7970 in windows 10. The issues i am having are :
a. In Maya(2015 with latest service pack) cannot drag select any objects in viewport, can only select in outliner
b. cannot use chrome browser, weird display issues occur

Does any one having any issues with the new AMD crimson drivers.

Replies

• kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update : weird display issue is also with Firefox, no AMD for me next time. Pathetic driver support.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    The crimson drivers are likely intended for the newer cards; run whatever is most stable for your 7970 (13.12 or maybe 14.10?)
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually they are for GCN cards, HD 7970 is GCN 1.0 card so it's fully supported. I was searching on some computer hardware forums, new crimson drivers are having several issues like fan speed lock/high temperatures/display artifact/etc. AMD rushed this drivers without proper testing.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    I noticed a pop-up announcement on my taskbar about this Crimson driver thing, but didn't updated. I have a slightly older HD 6870, and now that you mentioned this, I'm not going to update.

Next year I'll be upgrading my PC with some new parts, and I'll be switching to Nvidia regardless, so I'll never be an AMD user anymore.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Previously i had GTX 660, i bought this 7970 second hand for pretty cheap. This card has good performance with high power draw but the crimson drivers are so buggy, catalyst drivers were fine. I can confirm that the older catalyst drivers were fine.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I noticed a pop-up announcement on my taskbar about this Crimson driver thing, but didn't updated. I have a slightly older HD 6870, and now that you mentioned this, I'm not going to update.

Next year I'll be upgrading my PC with some new parts, and I'll be switching to Nvidia regardless, so I'll never be an AMD user anymore.
    You cannot update to Crimson drivers because your card is not GCN architecture. Do you have any issues with the catalyst drivers with any 3d software's.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    kolayamit said:
    Actually they are for GCN cards, HD 7970 is GCN 1.0 card so it's fully supported.
    Just because the card can run the driver doesn't mean it should. While the architecture doesn't hold the card back there's no guarantee the drivers were made with the older cards (The 7xxx series being four years old now) in mind, obviously the newer ones take priority. Run whatever is most stable, which in your case is not 15.11. Though if you're desperate to get it working you could try the 15.11.1 beta or windows 8.1, just in case win10 is being disagreeable.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I upgraded to the latest crimson drivers because of increased performance in Fallout 4, and this issues with the crimson driver is not only with the older gen cards it is also with the latest AMD cards like R9 390 or R9 380X. No issues with windows 10, what is mean is AMD f _ _ked up, this may be it will be fixed later with new driver release. For now have to downgrade to catalyst drivers to work in Maya :smile: 
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    kolayamit said:
    Do you have any issues with the catalyst drivers with any 3d software's?
    Blender may occasionally, but somewhat rarely freeze the whole computer (and the mouse cursor) which needs manual rebooting/resetting, but most of the time everything works fine. Even Zbrush works without any problems. Games work fine.

Only really annoying thing is that when watching videos on the internet, screen turns either into green-ish stripes, full white, blue or black etc, and everything freezes and needs rebooting. Something similar to BSoD, but not really. It happens just before video starts.

Same issue on my laptop which has an AMD graphics card as well.

Anyway, I would be more worried if I had already upgraded my computer, but soon most of the parts in my PC will get changed nevertheless.

EDIT: Fallout 4 works fine, except horrible, sometimes quite unplayable fps drops in the dense city area. In interior areas I have 60fps or more at best. Well, soon all my problems will be nonexistent. :D
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    ZBrush is not GPU dependent.

I can confirm that in Maya 2016 SP1 there's the same problem with both DX11 and OpenGL viewport modes.

Working good in Cinema 4D R17.

Have you tried reporting this problem to AMD?
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kolayamit said:
    Do you have any issues with the catalyst drivers with any 3d software's?
    Blender may occasionally, but somewhat rarely freeze the whole computer (and the mouse cursor) which needs manual rebooting/resetting, but most of the time everything works fine. Even Zbrush works without any problems. Games work fine.

Only really annoying thing is that when watching videos on the internet, screen turns either into green-ish stripes, full white, blue or black etc, and everything freezes and needs rebooting. Something similar to BSoD, but not really. It happens just before video starts.

Same issue on my laptop which has an AMD graphics card as well.

Anyway, I would be more worried if I had already upgraded my computer, but soon most of the parts in my PC will get changed nevertheless.

EDIT: Fallout 4 works fine, except horrible, sometimes quite unplayable fps drops in the dense city area. In interior areas I have 60fps or more at best. Well, soon all my problems will be nonexistent. :D
    that stripes thing also happens to me, i have no idea why and when this occurs, just randomly. But it comes and goes i never had to restart. They should have properly tested the crimson drivers before releasing to public.
    same thing happens to me also in Fallout, i will upgrade next year. If this kind of things continues then i have to abandon AMD completely.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue said:
    ZBrush is not GPU dependent.

I can confirm that in Maya 2016 SP1 there's the same problem with both DX11 and OpenGL viewport modes.

Working good in Cinema 4D R17.

Have you tried reporting this problem to AMD?
    Yes i reported via the report tool in the crimson drivers. Nvidia drivers were nice, AMD should hire some software guys from Nvidia :smile: 
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Not related to your issue, but make sure you're running the absolute latest version of the Crimson drivers, as up until about 2 days ago they had an issue where they would limit fan speed to 20%, causing overheating issues: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9823/amd-releasing-new-crimson-drivers-for-gpu-fan-issue

• kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz said:
    Not related to your issue, but make sure you're running the absolute latest version of the Crimson drivers, as up until about 2 days ago they had an issue where they would limit fan speed to 20%, causing overheating issues: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9823/amd-releasing-new-crimson-drivers-for-gpu-fan-issue

I am using the Hotfix driver of the crimson version, the latest one. Thanks.
  • chilemang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chilemang polycounter lvl 9
    @koylaymit im having the same issue, can you let me know when you figure it has been fixed?
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chilemang said:
    @koylaymit im having the same issue, can you let me know when you figure it has been fixed?
    No @CHILEMANG it's not fixed, i am having so much problems with the new crimson drivers man :(. Because of the maya selection issue and display artefacts i have downgraded from the hotfix driver to the first release of crimson drivers. Now i have no idea why this driver is also having the same issues, previously it was working fine(maya selection bug was there but there was no artefacts). I used Display Driver Installer and AMD driver cleaner but still the issue persists. Today when i return home i will install the old catalyst driver lets see what happens, last resort will be a system format. If that doesn't solve the artefacts then i have to assume that drivers really damage cards. And what graphics card are you using @chilemang
  • govind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    govind polycounter lvl 5
    This is so bloody frustrating. I have the same issues as Kolayamit. Crimson driver it seems. 
    I am downgrading to catalyst v15.7
    I can't marquee select in Maya and I can select at all in wireframe mode.
    The issue has been reported to AMD forums and I don't think it's going to help us in anyway.
    https://community.amd.com/thread/192086
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    govind said:
    This is so bloody frustrating. I have the same issues as Kolayamit. Crimson driver it seems. 
    I am downgrading to catalyst v15.7
    I can't marquee select in Maya and I can select at all in wireframe mode.
    The issue has been reported to AMD forums and I don't think it's going to help us in anyway.
    After downgrading is maya working fine? are you experiencing display artifacts? Main reason peoples hesitate to use AMD cards is because of their crappy drivers, and i can feel that now :smile: 
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just installed the last catalyst drivers(amd-catalyst-15.11.1beta-64bit-win10-win8.1-win7-nov14) and maya issue is gone. But the display artifact is still there lot less but it's there. I have no option but to reformat. AMD is losing because of it's bad untested drivers worried 
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did a clean install of Windows 10, installed the old catalyst drivers. Now the display artifacts is so much that i have to restart my PC, the crimson drivers may have damaged the card. I am in trouble now, don't know what to do the card is out of warranty.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I changed the monitor refresh rate to 59 hz from 60hz, no artifacts until now seems to be working fine. Will test for few days and report back. Hope this helps someone :smile: 
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got the artifacts again, this time i turned off wait for vertical sync, and now i think i have fixed it, been using the pc for 3 hours :smile: 
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got artifacts again while using chrome browser, switched to firefox. Working fine now.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last drivers I had, before Crimson, were:

AMD-Catalyst-14.7-RC3-Windows-Aug12

AMD-Catalyst-15.9.1Beta-64Bit-Win10-Win8.1-Win7-Sep30

They worked really good, almost all the 14 series after .7 crashed Cinema 4D randomly, also the 15.x series, before this beta one.

When you install a new driver, are you using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to clean up the old one?

• kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue said:
    Last drivers I had, before Crimson, were:

AMD-Catalyst-14.7-RC3-Windows-Aug12

AMD-Catalyst-15.9.1Beta-64Bit-Win10-Win8.1-Win7-Sep30

They worked really good, almost all the 14 series after .7 crashed Cinema 4D randomly, also the 15.x series, before this beta one.

When you install a new driver, are you using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to clean up the old one?

Yes i use DDU and AMD Clean Uninstall Utility. What graphics card are you using @SonicBlue. I will try the 15.9.1 later.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The one inside my A8-7600 APU, it's a Radeon R7, GCN 1.1; in technology, similar to the chip the R9 290 uses.

Or to put it with another example, it's half the compute power of the one you'll find in a Xbox One.

I'm planning to switch to a Nvidia card, but I read they have problems with drivers on Cinema 4D too, so, it's complicated.

Edit:
    Just to be sure, have you tried using a different cable to connect the card to your monitor? Or a different output, like the HDMI?
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue said:
    The one inside my A8-7600 APU, it's a Radeon R7, GCN 1.1; in technology, similar to the chip the R9 290 uses.

Or to put it with another example, it's half the compute power of the one you'll find in a Xbox One.

I'm planning to switch to a Nvidia card, but I read they have problems with drivers on Cinema 4D too, so, it's complicated.

Edit:
    Just to be sure, have you tried using a different cable to connect the card to your monitor? Or a different output, like the HDMI?
    Yes @SonicBlue I have tried different cables, reformatted PC, changed the thermal paste :smile: 
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With the artefacts appearing only for certain kind of software, or randomly is hard to say if it's software or hardware related.

It could be some kind of hardware commands used by Chrome, or the card getting hot and glitching. If possible I'll wait for the newer cards to surface before changing it.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue said:
    With the artefacts appearing only for certain kind of software, or randomly is hard to say if it's software or hardware related.

It could be some kind of hardware commands used by Chrome, or the card getting hot and glitching. If possible I'll wait for the newer cards to surface before changing it.
    Now i am getting artifacts while running maya, this is driving me crazy not able to work. Here is a youtube video i made to illustrate the problem.
    https://youtu.be/19d6QM2DXrc
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see, this looks like the problem I have on my old laptop, expect it stretches what's currently showing and flashes, it doesn't change pattern like that. I know mine is a hardware problem on the panel, cable or inverter, since connected to an external monitor, it works perfectly.

Do you have a second monitor or a TV to test if it's the card and not the monitor itself?
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue said:
    I see, this looks like the problem I have on my old laptop, expect it stretches what's currently showing and flashes, it doesn't change pattern like that. I know mine is a hardware problem on the panel, cable or inverter, since connected to an external monitor, it works perfectly.

Do you have a second monitor or a TV to test if it's the card and not the monitor itself?
    Thank you very much @SonicBlue.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMG the issue is in the monitor thank god my card is ok. I connected my TV and it is working fine no issues. And the i connected the monitor in my laptop and the same issue happened.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably can be repaired if it's not the panel, try searching for your monitor model online. You can also try touching the borders of your monitor and apply some pressure on it (not too much or you'll damage it) to see if it stops glitching like that, it may be a faulty cable connection.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue said:
    Probably can be repaired if it's not the panel, try searching for your monitor model online. You can also try touching the borders of your monitor and apply some pressure on it (not too much or you'll damage it) to see if it stops glitching like that, it may be a faulty cable connection.
    i tried two cables but it's not working, maybe it is because i keep my mobile phone near the monitor. I will try the border thing tomorrow and let you know @SonicBlue.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried the border thing you said @SonicBlue, not working. Monitor is done i think.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9

Just encountered this issue! F*ck!

I'm running latest crimson versions and Maya 2016....
    this is ridiculous
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Report that directly to AMD (not through a community site), more people making noise about it the better.

Since my lasts posts in this thread I changed GPU (7870 -> r9 380) and OS (8 -> 10), using crimson 16.1, no issues thus far. I DO get the downclocking in games, not enough to cause a performance problem, but I haven't been playing much anyway, at least not enough to bother fixing it by downloading clockblocker.
  • GlowingPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 10
    Does anyone know if this issue still persist ?
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone know if this issue still persist ?
    using the old catalyst driver, crimson drivers are all messed up. Maya and most of the softwares run fine on the last catalyst drivers. Have you tried the last crimson drivers.
  • GlowingPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah i'am using the old catalyst beta, and no, i didn't try the last crimson.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I rolled back to the July 2015 Catalyst Drivers, I had been using Max for a while so it hadn't been a problem until I started using Maya again. Though... now Windows Update wants to update my drivers...
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP said:
    I rolled back to the July 2015 Catalyst Drivers, I had been using Max for a while so it hadn't been a problem until I started using Maya again. Though... now Windows Update wants to update my drivers...
    Follow this link to disable the stupid windows 10 auto driver upadate : http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10
  • Geexile
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geexile polycounter lvl 8
    I can confirm problems with Crimson Drivers as well. I have Radeon R9 280X, last Crimson drivers and Maya 2016, and my multiple objects marque tool is not working.When i try to select multiple objects with my mouse via dragging marque square it`s not selecting anything.

• kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geexile said:
    I can confirm problems with Crimson Drivers as well. I have Radeon R9 280X, last Crimson drivers and Maya 2016, and my multiple objects marque tool is not working.When i try to select multiple objects with my mouse via dragging marque square it`s not selecting anything.

AMD driver's are pretty awful, have no idea when this will be resolved.
  • peteed1985
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has anyone worked out what the issue is or a workaround that doesn't involve going back to old drivers? New games don't work on old drivers very well so i'd be going back and forth in drivers like a yo-yo.

Seems stupid and impossible for a video card driver to of caused this because it isn't a displaying issue it's a selecting one. I could understand if it was selected with the marquee tool but just didn't look selected/highlighted but since it's properties doesn't show up in the attribute editor/channel box and it isn't selected in the outliner that isn't the case.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has anyone worked out what the issue is or a workaround that doesn't involve going back to old drivers? New games don't work on old drivers very well so i'd be going back and forth in drivers like a yo-yo.

Seems stupid and impossible for a video card driver to of caused this because it isn't a displaying issue it's a selecting one. I could understand if it was selected with the marquee tool but just didn't look selected/highlighted but since it's properties doesn't show up in the attribute editor/channel box and it isn't selected in the outliner that isn't the case.
    As of now there is no workaround, we have to test future drivers and go back to older ones if it's not working. My gaming is postponed until i buy a new nvidia card. AMD's drivers are nighmare.
  • HGC125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kolayamit said:
    I am using the latest AMD crimson drivers(hotfix version-nov 30) with AMD HD 7970 in windows 10. The issues i am having are :
    a. In Maya(2015 with latest service pack) cannot drag select any objects in viewport, can only select in outliner
    b. cannot use chrome browser, weird display issues occur

Does any one having any issues with the new AMD crimson drivers.

I have an A10 3.4Ghz + R5 and R6 graphic cards and crimson and I experienced issues with the CPU clockspeed (It wouldn't go higher than 1.95Ghz in a game while settings where set for high performance). Graphically it would also not work well, very slow and buggy.
    I reverted to catalyst and then back to crimson (I hate the spam of the .exe settings), for me it partially solved the issue..
    Now I can run up to 2,5Ghz in game (that's pretty low) but at least I can use maya without problems for now. I have tried to go to the BIOS and change the settings for cool n quiet but BIOS doesn't show up anything about CPU/GPU or whatever else.
    Does anybody have this problem too?

• beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Yep I had the same exact problem with Crimson drivers (latest release) with Maya 2014. Marquee select didn't work at all. Had to revert to 15.11
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all, The new AMD Radeon Software Crimson 16.2 is out now. Has anybody tested it with Maya. Is this driver working fine? 
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Same exact result, you can't select anything with the marquee tool.