Home Technical Talk

AMD crimson drivers : does anyone having any issues

Replies

• kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kolayamit polycounter lvl 13
    So we are struck with the old driver. What is wrong with AMD, next upgrade is Nvidia for sure.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    kolayamit said:
    So we are struck with the old driver. What is wrong with AMD, next upgrade is Nvidia for sure.
    I think both manufactures have pretty bad problems from time to time. With the 970 the 3.5gb of ram issue severely cripples Painters performance if you get above that 3.5GB mark.

• kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni said:
    kolayamit said:
    I think both manufactures have pretty bad problems from time to time. With the 970 the 3.5gb of ram issue severely cripples Painters performance if you get above that 3.5GB mark.

That was a hardware issue. Never had any issues with nvidia drivers when i was using GTX 660. New drivers came and i just downloaded and installed, but with AMD drivers it's a horror story. Last working drivers are the catalyst ones, none of the crimson drivers work with Maya and they already know this issue from their forums. They just don't care.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator

For a period when the 500 series cards just came out, normal maps were not supported in Maya viewport, but that is the last major Nvidia driver bug I can remember. Recently saw some people complaining about weird bones display in Maya with one of the latest drivers but that seemed relatively minor.

In the last couple years AMD has been pretty bad with driver issues, and they don't release updates as frequently as Nvidia which leaves a lot of time between potential fixes.

• kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow said:

For a period when the 500 series cards just came out, normal maps were not supported in Maya viewport, but that is the last major Nvidia driver bug I can remember. Recently saw some people complaining about weird bones display in Maya with one of the latest drivers but that seemed relatively minor.

In the last couple years AMD has been pretty bad with driver issues, and they don't release updates as frequently as Nvidia which leaves a lot of time between potential fixes.

I totally agree. With the new Crimson Edition Drivers only graphics/theme is updated the actual driver has become worse.
  • GlowingPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 10
    The game that my team is working on have a rendering bug with the older catalyst version, but if I update to solve those bugs, I can't use Maya. So..... I'am F**ked,
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The game that my team is working on have rendering bug with the older catalyst version, but if i update to solve those bugs, i can't work on maya anymore. So..... I'am F**ked,
    What kind of rendering bug have you experienced. I am lucky that all my softwares run fine with the old catalyst version, other wise i would have no option other than selling the card.
  • GlowingPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The custom terrain shader is a mess with the older catalyst. Works fine with crimson.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The custom terrain shader is a mess with the older catalyst. Works fine with crimson.
    What software are you using.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    kolayamit said:
    With the new Crimson Edition Drivers only graphics/theme is updated the actual driver has become worse.
    ...totally ignoring the 60+ bugfixes (mostly for specific games) plus extra features added in the crimson driver. There's a difference between something becoming worse and something becoming worse for you.

Also the Maya display issue isn't listed on their known issues. Keep sending emails to AMD support.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek said:
    kolayamit said:
    With the new Crimson Edition Drivers only graphics/theme is updated the actual driver has become worse.
    ...totally ignoring the 60+ bugfixes (mostly for specific games) plus extra features added in the crimson driver. There's a difference between something becoming worse and something becoming worse for you.

Also the Maya display issue isn't listed on their known issues. Keep sending emails to AMD support.
    Yeah introducing 60+ fixes and creating several new issues like : http://gearnuke.com/amds-new-crimson-drivers-bugged-killing-graphics-cards-report/ , https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3u4vsb/crimson_drivers_causing_big_problems/,  maya selection bugs, etc. And if you read through this thread and/or just google this keyword "amd drivers have become worse" then it will be very clear to you that AMD drivers has become worse not only for me, but for many of us.
    And you can keep sending emails or just switch to a nvidia card and have your peace of mind returned back to you. That is what i am planning to do with a full system upgrade in few months.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    60:4, I'll take it - especially since nothing has been broken for me. Buy whatever you want; it sucks that you're having problems but you can't say the drivers are objectively becoming worse. You don't have enough data to prove something like that. And suggesting I google "amd drivers have become worse" is, for reasons that should be obvious, a poor way to gather worthwhile data.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are right Bek,  after spending some time on the Internet I have found that most of the driver issues are for older architecture cards (gcn 1.0)like my 7970. And this cards are gaming cards not professional so any maya related bugs are in least priority. Hope I didn't offend you anyway @Bek .
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Of course not, all good :) I'm not emotionally invested in one company over another; I just don't think crimson showing that amd drivers are becoming worse is true. Sometimes it's best to leave cards on the drivers sets they release with (or whatever the latest driver set released before a new architecture is released) for stability, though of course then you miss out on any new features/fixes that might come along. Unfortunately that can take some trial and error.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I totally agree...
  • GlowingPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lets report this annoying problem so we have it fixed!
    http://amd.com/report
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lets report this annoying problem so we have it fixed!
    http://amd.com/report
    cannot open the link, i get this :
    "No data received

ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE"
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New AMD drivers out, Crimson Edition 16.2.1 Hotfix. Hope this will fix the issue :smile: 
  • GlowingPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kolayamit said:
    New AMD drivers out, Crimson Edition 16.2.1 Hotfix. Hope this will fix the issue :smile: 
    Aaaaaand it didn't, right ?
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    If you are interested, Radeon Crimson 16.3 fixes the Maya problem :smiley: 
  • GlowingPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue said:
    YES! yEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue said:
    YES! yEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!
    Going to download and install now, Yahooooooooooooooooo new drivers!!!!
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i can only download "Crimson Edition 16.3 Hotfix", are you guys using this version.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have installed "Crimson Edition 16.3 Hotfix" and Maya 2015 is working fine(Windows 10). Yessss!!!
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My display just went off, both my screens went to some kind of power saving mode(was not displaying anything). Had to restart, anyone having this issue.
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    kolayamit said:
    My display just went off, both my screens went to some kind of power saving mode(was not displaying anything). Had to restart, anyone having this issue.
    Are you on Win7? My workstation PC had this issue earlier in the week (Quadro card), the day after I signed off with some updates installing. It only happened once though, it's a long shot but maybe related?

Alternatively, do you have any monitors connected to intel HD? The latest driver supplied by Win10 (on home PC), was causing massive glitches, power saving flickering on and off, corrupted colours etc. rolling back to the latest drivers on Intel's site fixed it.

I haven't tried 16.3 yet though so I'll see if I get the same issue when I update tonight.

For anyone's interest, AMD's 16.2 driver should have fixed the power saving issue that only happened on PC's with other monitors running off Intel HD graphics (like mine), but it didn't until I rolled back the intel driver. No idea why Win10 has a WHQL driver for intel HD graphics that's newer than the versions listed on their website, website lists 15.xx something or other, Win10 was showing me version 20.xx Anyone know what's up there? I don't usually keep track of intel's driver updates.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Maybe a GPU lockup? I had something similar happen on 7 with my APU machine that I'm using for graphics programming and neither numlock nor the power button worked afterwards.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 said:
    kolayamit said:
    Are you on Win7? My workstation PC had this issue earlier in the week (Quadro card), the day after I signed off with some updates installing. It only happened once though, it's a long shot but maybe related?

Alternatively, do you have any monitors connected to intel HD? The latest driver supplied by Win10 (on home PC), was causing massive glitches, power saving flickering on and off, corrupted colours etc. rolling back to the latest drivers on Intel's site fixed it.

I haven't tried 16.3 yet though so I'll see if I get the same issue when I update tonight.

For anyone's interest, AMD's 16.2 driver should have fixed the power saving issue that only happened on PC's with other monitors running off Intel HD graphics (like mine), but it didn't until I rolled back the intel driver. No idea why Win10 has a WHQL driver for intel HD graphics that's newer than the versions listed on their website, website lists 15.xx something or other, Win10 was showing me version 20.xx Anyone know what's up there? I don't usually keep track of intel's driver updates.
    I am on Windows 10. I just restored my system to the older catalyst version. Everything is fine now, very bad experiences with the crimson versions. Not updating my drivers again until i buy a new card.

I don't have any onboard graphics card.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Maybe a GPU lockup? I had something similar happen on 7 with my APU machine that I'm using for graphics programming and neither numlock nor the power button worked afterwards.
    Maybe, also the temps are high with the new crimson drivers. With Catalyst 46 degrees when idle and 51 degrees with crimson when idle. Not updating my drivers again until i buy a new card. 
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Maybe the fan controller is running at a lower speed now? You can bump it up if need be. I wouldn't worry unless you're getting over 90 degrees Celsius under load.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually in my system fan speed is controlled by Asus GPU Tweak. Are you using the latest Crimson drivers, do you have any issues like increased temperature or any kind of display issues.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    I've downloaded 16.3 but haven't installed it yet, currently on 16.2. When I install 16.3 I'll keep an eye out for any oddness. I wouldn't worry about the temp difference, but you can always bump the fan up a few percent if you want. Maybe the asus utility was controlling the fan until catalyst updated, and now it's overriding the asus utility and running at a lower fan speed? If changing the speed in asus has no effect then that might be something. But yeah I wouldn't worry about it.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So 16.2 is working perfectly, what's your graphics card and Processor.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    r9 380, i5 2500k. Obviously not using maya though. 16.1 worked fine too, haven't noticed any bugs.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe I am having issues because I have an old 7970. Looking forward to upgrade in couple months.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Using the AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.3.1 driver, working fine so far :smile:
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Just a heads up for any modo users; 16.3.2 guts my viewport performance (down to 5fps with 6million tri, was 40fps). 16.4.1 doesn't help. 16.2 is the latest working version for me (r9 380, win10).

• kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys sold my 7970 and bought a gtx 950 2gb. Everything is smooth now :)
  • daviddionne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daviddionne polycounter lvl 3
    Damn guys! This issues are soooooo wrong!... 

I'll try the downgrade @kolayamit
    let see if its work then :(
  • daviddionne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well maybe i didnt figured out how to roll back my driver but if someone could give me the link to a working driver for the amd display, i would rerally appreciate it :(

• kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi @daviddionne currently i am using Leadtek Quadro K4200.
    This driver version "AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.3.1" was working for my 7970, here is the link http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/amd-radeon-software-crimson-16-3-1-driver.html

Also if you want to roll back Drivers this tools works best for me - Display Driver Uninstaller(DDU) link here : http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
  • daviddionne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kolayamit
    thanks your very much... i'll try this right aways

• daviddionne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kolayamit

OMG IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man... you can't know how i'm grateful... I lose almost 10h of work because of that and now... everything is fine... 

Youre a god... and i bow before you!

Do i sound grateful enough ? hahaha

• kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @daviddionne  you are welcome,  glad that your issue is solved.
    And you sound super grateful hahahahahaha
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Damn so after a while problem free I'm running into problems with the newest Crimson Drivers and Maya 2016.5. Just a bit slow in the viewport.

15.11.1 Catalyst works fine though for the time being until newer 8GB cards are out!
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni said:
    Damn so after a while problem free I'm running into problems with the newest Crimson Drivers and Maya 2016.5. Just a bit slow in the viewport.

15.11.1 Catalyst works fine though for the time being until newer 8GB cards are out!
    AMD has new 8gb cards? Are you talking about RX480?
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Nah Nvidia. Last gen it was $$ to get 6GB (980ti). That's why I went with the 390 originally. At the time, it worked really well with 3d applications and had 8GB of VRAM. Not sure what they're doing with the Crimson drivers :/
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AMD cards has very powerful hardware, i wonder who is charge of the drivers department. I believe AMD can sell more cards if they work on their drivers!
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Yea, I was recommending the 390 heavily because it was super stable with everything I used (Maya/Max/Painter/3dcoat/Designer). At the time, having 8GB of faster VRam for Painter was absolutely crucial for me but I believe the 1070 will fill that role at a relatively affordable price. 
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes 1070 is the best value card, if you can wait may be one month. Because with the release of new AMD card  RX480 and others(reviews will be out on June 29th), the price of 1070 will be reduced.