Home General Discussion

Guns You Own

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
Anyone like guns? Own guns? Post what you got!
Also feel free to take reference pictures of your guns and bundle them up so other artists can have some refs.
I just finished refinishing the wood on my WASR-10.
XDbjvQS.jpg
egJnAru.jpg
MF7JRDJ.jpg
RaYXGxK.jpg
Eg7pWfw.jpg
The two on the left are my friends.
What's funny is the AR style rifles can barely kill a small bird in one shot.
Only 22lr's.
Good fun for plinking outside( I live in the middle of no where.)

Replies

• Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are those Mosin Nagants?
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overlord wrote: »
    Are those Mosin Nagants?

Yes, they are.
  • Barbarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Barbarian polycounter lvl 12
    Nice collection. I'm down to two 12 gauge shotguns (pump and an auto) and a rifle. I still try to get some skeet shooting practice in now and then. Every now and then I get to a black powder group range, but I use someone else's musket.
  • James Ordner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very impressive!

I own quite a few, but most of them are locked in a gun safe that no one knows how to get in to. The safe was inherited, but the password, unfortunately, was not. The ones that aren't locked up are really nothing special, but do their job just fine. The two I use the most are a 9mm Ruger P89 and a small caliber .22 rifle. We just moved out of the city to the countryside, and guns are definitely a big plus living out here! :)
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Then post some pics guys!
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    Here is a crappy cell pic of my evil black guns, I have a bunch of fudd guns too.
    From top to bottom:
    Custom 6.5 Grendel
    Bushmaster 5.56
    Springfield XD45c
    STG-2000c/AK type

ebr.jpg

I would be happy to take detailed pics for reference, if anyone needs them just pm me.
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @AlexCatMasterSupreme
    When the market cools down I have to get me one of those WASR-10s with the wood furniture and those 416s are sweet.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    never post your guns.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a crappy cell pic of my evil black guns, I have a bunch of fudd guns too.
    From top to bottom:
    Custom 6.5 Grendel
    Bushmaster 5.56
    Springfield XD45c
    STG-2000c/AK type

ebr.jpg

I would be happy to take detailed pics for reference, if anyone needs them just pm me.

How do you like your XD?
  • nukes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nukes polycounter lvl 4
    So these are airsoft guns, or real guns with real bullets?
    Sorry i'm from europe...
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The XD has been great! I've run that thing filthy, 500+ rounds without cleaning between IDPA matches with zero malfunctions.

@Cholden: Is gun ownership a faux pas in the industry, I'm from Texas so my perspective may be a bit skewed. Also, I love the Crunch Cast!
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    I've always been extremely hesitant to discuss the details of my firearm ownership in a professional setting. Too much risk of somebody who hates / is scared of guns freaking out and having the end result be bad for me, work-wise. Which is really kind of sad... because I'm about as harmless as you're going to find, and a lot of firearms have some fascinating engineering, aesthetics design, and history behind them that are lots of fun to share and enjoy. :( I was having to explain to a gay rights activist friend of mine why I'm so reluctant about discussing it; he thought it was strange that something so historically fundamental in American culture was becoming so faux pas to talk about publicly, compared to homosexuality, which is kind of the inverse - previously verboten but now widely accepted. I told him "well, Ben, because unlike me and a firearm, you don't have to worry about being fired without warning or proof, if somebody who has it in for you makes an anonymous phonecall to your boss that says you're going to gay up the office tomorrow."
    cholden wrote: »
    never post your guns.

Pretty much this. For a variety of reasons, beyond just causing problems in your professional life.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    How much do you spend on a collection like that and is there a lot of effort involved in being allowed to own them ?

And yeah I have to admit, I think to a lot of Europeans you come across as some kind of maniac with collections like these.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I see guns as much of a valid hobby/collectible as anything else. I makes sense that some game artists, that often are paid to make weapons, own one.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I own a pair of zombies chained to the wall in my basement ;)
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    How much do you spend on a collection like that and is there a lot of effort involved in being allowed to own them ?

And yeah I have to admit, I think to a lot of Europeans you come across as some kind of maniac with collections like these.

You just have a background check.(have to be 18 for a rifle) and 21 for a handgun. Some things such as fully automatic rifles are much much more difficult to obtain and you must have a class III FFL ircc.

They can think whatever. The truth is 99.99% of people who own guns in the US are responsible with them. Especially rifles, they only account for a small amount of violence. And most of the violence is in the ghetto.

I had a kid from the UK tell me "i can't believe everyone walks around with machine guns". Please. I don't know anyone who carry's them in public. (or owns a REAL machine gun). Everything the standard person can buy is one shot per trigger pull, bolt action, or pump action. They ask "why do you need those guns". I don't NEED them, I enjoy them, I find them interesting, doesn't mean I'm dangerous, I just have a damn hobby. Why do people have cars that can drive faster than the speed limit? Well cause they can, that's what THEY like.

As far as prices they are quite high in America right now sadly, so it pretty much costs an arm and a leg:/ My AK (which is considered a pretty shitty Romanian one) was 900 (they were 375 5 years ago). The 22lr's are about 630. The Mosins are old russian surplus rifles and REALLY cheap (120, 199) these used to be cheaper too. Ammo is even worse, shooting one mag with the AK can cost between 10-15 dollars. So if you wanted to go shooting a lot one day it could cost you a couple hundred. It sucks.

This is all cheap ammmo too. Once you get into 308 it can be amost 80 cents a round. 50 cal is even worse.

nukes wrote: »
    Sorry i'm from europe...
    Yes. They are. (real)
    The XD has been great! I've run that thing filthy, 500+ rounds without cleaning between IDPA matches with zero malfunctions.

@Cholden: Is gun ownership a faux pas in the industry, I'm from Texas so my perspective may be a bit skewed. Also, I love the Crunch Cast!

That's awesome:)

I know a lot of gun owners in the industry personally or just in the 3d world in general. A lot more people own them than they are willing to admit.

I agree it could cause possible trouble if someone REALLY wanted to be that mad about it but I mean it's not like it's some top secret thing. Guns are fun to shoot, and you get together with people and talk about guns, shoot guns. They are interesting. All they require is responsibly and attention, just like a car.

I mean if someone really has an issue with this thread they can just delete it. I thought some people on polycount might enjoy it. I mean we talk about everything else in general.

I just kinda get sick of people treating guns like a freaking taboo. It's a gun, it shoots metal. It's fun to shoot. They have history behind them, it's a sport. It's just interesting!

All I'm saying is:

1. Guns are a hobby
    2.Guns are interesting and like collecting coins, they all have a different story.
    3. They are fun to shoot and get good at shooting. It's not as easy as video games make it seem.
    4. It's what I'm into, and a lot of other people. I don't get why it has to be so taboo to enjoy guns with other people. Lots of people own and enjoy guns all over the world.
  • Mithdia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mithdia polycounter lvl 8
    Well I don't see the point in owning working guns from collector's viewpoint... Atleast in Finland as far as I know most guns that you collect just for collecting are deactivated.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    ZacD wrote: »
    I see guns as much of a valid hobby/collectible as anything else. I makes sense that some game artists, that often are paid to make weapons, own one.

Just like blood effects and gibs. "oh these are my reference corpses"
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    These things are so gorgeous to look. But yeah, coming from Australia I really do a double-take that they're really things you just own and have lying about.

Whenever I see guns like this I think of third-world dictatorships and loonies going on killing sprees, or people paranoid of the government. Owning heavy weapons isn't as big a thing here, especially after the assault weapon ban. A few people I know are farmers and have shotguns, but there's no comparing those to these babies.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    >implying this is a political thread. I didn't name the fucking thread "DO YOU THINK THERE SHOULD BE GUN CONTROL."
    No, I didn't.
    If you don't like guns, then let people who actually do talk about it.

This thread is going no where.
    Way to go guys.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Some things such as fully automatic rifles are much much more difficult to obtain and you must have a class III FFL ircc.

i wonder why they are more difficult to obtain...

surely they would be more 'fun' to own and shoot with, don't you think ?

if "fun" was the only criteria to justify ownership of something then i can think of 100 other things i would like to own. may be a grenade, or a M60 or C4 or.. they would be lot more "fun" than any guns.

on a serious note, i personally would love to own some of the guns shown above. but when ever i think of giving my money to a weapons manufacturer i realize how much terrorism they intentionally support all around the world.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    This thread is going no where.
    Way to go guys.
    Polycount loves a bit of controversy and there few topics more controversial than guns at the moment. You were deluding yourself if you didn't think this was going to immediately going to turn into a discussion on gun control, devolve into a flame war and then get locked.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Keep this on topic guys, this isn't a political thread. If you wanna discuss gun control im sure you can find somewhere more constructive than here.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Alex if you have a controversial hobby, of course you are going to get some backlash from an international community. I fully get that there is a gun culture over there that says this sort of thing is normal, but normality is only perpetuated by other people doing it in your culture.

to let you get the picture, the only times i have ever seen assault rifles in my life is going to air bases for the od airshow where soldiers are there. And even then i think the only type i have ever seen is aus-styers.

You are going to get the same or similar response from the vast number of Australians and Europeans on this as well.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to turn this into a gun control thing. I just wanted to mention the immediate reaction we get over here.

I love the look of them and I'd really love to have a play with these (under adult, responsible conditions, of course). I'd never own them for the same reason I'd never own a suit of armour or a dinosaur skeleton - they're awesome, but I'm not into collecting that kind of thing.

But for guns in particular there's a natural skittishness that comes with them, because of the whole mass killings stuff and the political controversy surrounding gun control. So I'd say if you want to discuss owning them and have it not go to shit, keep this in mind because people outside USA will appreciate reading into your post that you understand the responsibility and power etc. that comes with them.

Please keep posting, though, because more refs are fantastic (especially ones like these that aren't showroom clean).
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Um... some of you guys are seriously suggesting that someone might have trouble with their job because they admit to owning a gun? So that Bungie employee who pulled a gun on some dude and performed a citizen's arrest was fired right? More pictures please!
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Wesley wrote: »
    Um... some of you guys are seriously suggesting that someone might have trouble with their job because they admit to owning a gun? So that Bungie employee who pulled a gun on some dude and performed a citizen's arrest was fired right? More pictures please!

Just because you are a professional doesn't necessarily mean the people who you work for all are. I think guns is a sensitive and emotional topic and it may just rub people the wrong way if they tend to have different views, and you never know who in your company these people may be, and you don't know if they will treat this hobby as what it is: private.

But yes, please post reference :)
  • James Ordner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Please keep posting, though, because more refs are fantastic (especially ones like these that aren't showroom clean).

Good luck finding someone who enjoys using and owning guns and doesn't take care of them. You can spend almost as much time cleaning them than actually firing them if you want to keep them in good condition. 90% of the time we put an unrealistic amount of wear and tear on the weapons we texture, but it adds visual interest and has become accepted by gamers as normal, so there's not really anything wrong with it. I think the biggest challenge is texturing a gun to a realistic (very light) wear and tear level, but without making it seem too bland.

Anyways, if I get around to it today I'll post some pics of my 9mm P89. It's not anything special, but hey! It's something. I doubt anyone would chose to model it, but I'll be happy to provide the reference anyways :)
  • sheckee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sheckee polycounter lvl 9
    I always find it so weird when people post images of their guns just chilling out on their beds or something. It's odd to me because in England, you rarely see any guns; the only people carrying them are the army. My friend owns an air rifle, that's about as common as you can get; and even seeing that is weird. It's so odd to me, I'm not saying whether I think it's right or wrong. But coming from the UK, I
    find it very weird.

What I do like about it though, is that when you need reference for a gun, you can go onto a gun enthusiasts forum and someone is usually nice enough to take loads of reference photos for you.
  • Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    I always find it so weird when people post images of their guns just chilling out on their beds or something.
    That IS the preferred display method!

I've been collecting/shooting for over 10 years, this picture is very old. Highlights include:
    Left Column - 17, 22lr, 12 ga, enfield 303, 12 ga pump, enfield 303, 22 lr, 10-22.
    Right Column - M1 Garand, bushmaster AR-15, SKS, AK, AR Pistol, AK, AK, AK...(2)1911 45's, Ruger 9mm, S&W 9mm.
    rgiDcop.jpg
    yGMcVNC.jpg

I would be happy to answer any questions. Responsible gun collecting and shooting is great fun! Quite expensive though! By now I've sold almost all of these, and don't really have the time/funds to start up a new collection, but I'm still quite knowledgeable.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
  • wichenroder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Might just be lamest post I've seen on Polycount. Well done guys.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Might just be lamest post I've seen on Polycount. Well done guys.

Do you need a ladder to get down from your high horse of coolness?
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Memory
    Any plans on turning that pistol into a SBR?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i do not own a firearm, however later this week i will be purchasing a simple recurve bow, will take pics when it arrives.
  • Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    @Jonathan - There a bunch of regulations and processes to go through to be allowed to do that, and I don't want to pay the tax! It has since been sold as well. The only thing I have from these old pics is the AR and the black grip 45.

@gir - Bows are cool too, lots of fun!

I havn't been out in a while because ammo is so pricey, a month ago a box of 9mm was $20 and that was on a good day. ARs are still only going for $1000 in some places so that's not too bad. I def recommend target shooting an AR-15 to anyone who is curious as to why so many people enjoy the sport.

@wichenroder - Thanks for stopping by!
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    guns are pretty cool. wonderful pieces of mechanical engineering.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    This is one creepy thread. :o
    Cool guns tho.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Some of these collections are pretty neat! Moar!
  • Bibendum
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Racer445 wrote: »
    guns are pretty cool. wonderful pieces of mechanical engineering.

This!

Posting from my phone now or I'd go in depth on what we have. I'll likely be doing bore sighting this weekend, so I'll get some photos and info posted up.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19

This made me laugh so hard ~!!! oohh the smell of liberty in the morning !! :D
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    peanut™ wrote: »

This made me laugh so hard ~!!! oohh the smell of liberty in the morning !! :D

I've got a few airsoft guns as well... have plenty of fun with those!

photo_airsoftaction.jpg
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    i have one similar to this, quite old but pretty good to kill small animals like rats:

image.jpg

http://www.gamo.com/portal/es/carabinas-gamo/ctnt/s0_0/_/_/zyf/Hunter-440.html

In my country only the army can have those guns you posted guys lol

edit: i feel envy haha
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Is this a real SWAT team with airsoft guns knocking at someone's door

hahahahaha :poly142:

photo_airsoftaction.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Keep this on topic guys, this isn't a political thread. If you wanna discuss gun control im sure you can find somewhere more constructive than here.

Thank you.

And the reason fully automatic rifles are banned is kinda silly to me. IF you can obtain one it has to have been made before a certain year, I think 1985 or something. They costs 4k-60k (or more).
    Honestly I don't see why, they are less accurate when fired that way. Sure youre shooting more, but if you don't have ill will it really doesn't matter, and having it full auto wouldn't make much of a difference if you did.

It's like banning pistol grips.

Anyway, if anyone else wants to talk about guns that would be cool.

One more thing I feel like a lot of people say that they think guns are culturally normal here, I feel they are to an extent but also that half the population are not.
    I didn't get into guns until recently and did not grow up around them.

With all that said shooting and automatic rifle would be soooo much fun. The only thing I think I could think about doing it is how much money I', spending and how fast.

rgiDcop.jpg

Wow I just saw page two. This is awesome!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    And the reason fully automatic rifles are banned is kinda silly to me. IF you can obtain one it has to have been made before a certain year, I think 1985 or something. They costs 4k-60k (or more).
    Honestly I don't see why, they are less accurate when fired that way. Sure youre shooting more, but if you don't have ill will it really doesn't matter, and having it full auto wouldn't make much of a difference if you did.

It wasn't really a political thread until this post :P

I've shot bows, rifles, and shotguns, but I do not own any guns.

The reason fully automatic is banned is because we typically ban weapons that can cause a massacre, shoot a fully automatic gun into a crowd, and aiming does not matter. Not saying its a valid point, but the general idea behind the law.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    It wasn't really a political thread until this post :P

I've shot bows, rifles, and shotguns, but I do not own any guns.

The reason fully automatic is banned is because we typically ban weapons that can cause a massacre, shoot a fully automatic gun into a crowd, and aiming does not matter. Not saying its a valid point, but the general idea behind the law.

Actually, the history of that law is a little more convoluted, and it goes back to 1934. It had to do with a combination of Hollywood-driven hysteria over "gangsters shooting innocent people" (which wasn't actually happening except in movies), and large organized crime rings bribing lawmakers to help block smaller black market competitors out of easy access to weapons. Basically, crooked politicians took bribes to write a law that helped big gangs stomp out little gangs, and justified it publicly by saying "HAVEN'T YOU SEEN ALL THE PEOPLE DYING IN THOSE MOVIES?!" Which, if you follow American politics, is pretty much how every law happens anymore.

Regardless, title 2 weapons (machine guns, short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns, "destructive devices" like grenade launchers and 20mm rifles, etc) are not banned, per se, at least by federal law in the US. They simply have to A) be registered with the ATF, who hates guns, B) you have to pass a background check on par with getting a top secret security clearance, C) you have to pay $200, and D) you have to wait months on end for the paperwork to be processed. Some state and local laws restrict them further, but you don't need a special license and you can definitely still buy them. The problem is cost, since you can't build new ones.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    i do not own a firearm, however later this week i will be purchasing a simple recurve bow, will take pics when it arrives.

Awesome! When i was still in school i made a composite longbow for my leaving cert woodwork project (I think thats your A levels). The draw weight wasnt much but it could put a bodkin arrow clean through a wooden pallet. :) fun times.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Awesome! When i was still in school i made a composite longbow for my leaving cert woodwork project (I think thats your A levels). The draw weight wasnt much but it could put a bodkin arrow clean through a wooden pallet. :) fun times.

You guys would love The Impossible Bow by Nicholas Tomihama. He's written an entire book about making serious, legitimate bows of all kinds from PVC pipe... which means you can make a fully-usable replica Mongolian horsebow for less than $10.