Home General Discussion

Guns You Own

Replies

• flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Jerc wrote: »
    I guess it's just that most of us Europeans have almost never seen or used a real gun.

I'm fine with people collecting guns because they think of it as a hobby, I'm pretty sure firing a gun at targets is pretty fun.
    I'm a lot less fine with people owning a gun for their "safety" because it means the reason they own a gun is that they are afraid and the purpose of the gun is to shoot at someone someday (auto defense or not, willingly or not).

And I tend to think that that second category counts a lot more people and is far more dangerous.

I can't really go to much into that second item from personal experience, granted there are plenty of places around the bay area (*cough*Oakland*cough cough*) where the thought of being allowed to be armed would probably help to deter the crime levels. I have nothing against (*responsible and regulated*) carryng of small / defense arms in public or for use in the home, but it's not something I have a need.

If it acts as nothing more than a deterent, making a potential criminal have to think twice about whether someone's armed, it's already done its job without a single shot fired. I think most people who have or want to have a gun for personal protect tend to be of the mindset that they refuse to ever allow themselves to be the victim, which there's nothing wrong with in my book as long as they're still firmly planted in reality.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    My wife and I watched a show on BBC called Luther, which is about a cop in the UK. I was so confused why none of the cops had guns for the longest time. Luther would go into houses where there were obviously dangerous individuals and I was like "WHERE IS YOUR GUN DUDE!!" I then found out that police usually don't carry firearms over there unless in special circumstances. The thought of it baffles me lol :poly142:

the idea is to avoid an arms race between regular police and ordinary criminals (not organized crime or terrorists though). Here in China the cops don't have gun either (okay, okay, they'll just deport your entire family if you mess up ;) )
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    flaagan wrote: »
    I think most people who have or want to have a gun for personal protect tend to be of the mindset that they refuse to ever allow themselves to be the victim, which there's nothing wrong with in my book as long as they're still firmly planted in reality.
    A tazer is enough to protect you from being a victim. I think using a lethal weapon to protect yourself from a criminal will simply give him the idea of getting a bigger gun than yours for his next attempt. And that's without acknowledging the fact that a large percentage of people act stupidly when confronted to a stressful situation.

Guns as a defense device simply helps violence escalation imho, defeating the initial purpose.

Anyway, keep posting those photos, even if I don't like to see people using guns, I like modeling them, so more reference is good :)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    XDbjvQS.jpg

Your guns don't have enough scratches on them. Or enough duct tape on them for no reason. And I don't even see one scratched line of all the people you have killed with them. It really makes them look fake. :P

But seriously, these are some really great photos!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Autocon wrote: »
    Your guns don't have enough scratches on them. Or enough duct tape on them for no reason. And I don't even see one scratched line of all the people you have killed with them. It really makes them look fake. :P

But seriously, these are some really great photos!

Thanks!

And can we please keep politics and weather or not you think guns are okay for X out of here and focus strictly on guns. I don't want this thread to become a cesspool of opinions and no one agreeing until it is utter shit.
  • nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so i dont usually post here but thought you'd like these. i had to take a bunch of photos of some guns that my father is inheriting from his father. these were for the insurance peeps in case they got lost in transit but i thought you'd like the ref.
    anyway here they are. the files might take sometime to upload i'm on a stupidly slow connection

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ortgies_Semi-Automatic_Pistol
    IMG_20130429_201023.jpg
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_28
    IMG_20130429_201258.jpg
    cant find a nice site about the shotgun, but its a savage foxworthy produced starting circa 1930 i think but this one is probably much later.
    IMG_20130429_201901.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15847162/polycount/guns/IMG_20130429_201150.zip
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    giving in!

Here's mah pieces, with lots more to come. Hopefully ;) Oh and of course if anyone actually does want close ups and orthos just PM me and I'd be more than happy.

WP_20130423_007.jpg

WP_20130419_007.jpg

hF19E152A
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    What are the rules on storing these? What about storing ammo?
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »

Can't quote official rules off the top of my head at this time of night, but general "best practices" are guns locked in a safe with ammunition in ammo boxes or containers in a different part of the house. We keep the magazines for our guns with the ammo at the absolute opposite end of the house from our gun safe. When my pistol shows up, it'll have the safety lock installed AND it'll be locked in its small transport box which will be stored in the safe.

If I had the money or the inclination I'd go to the trouble of a 'gun room' like some folks have, which is essentially just a walk-in safe to store everything away from prying eyes and curious hands.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Well I know what best practices are, just curious what you officially have to do with them. I bet it's different per state though.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I know what best practices are, just curious what you officially have to do with them. I bet it's different per state though.

Quick search seems to confirm that. That all falls under politics and personal preferences in my book. I don't personally know anyone who keeps a gun 'under their pillow', so to speak, but if someone feels they have to keep a loaded firearm next to their bed, that's their business... and I will be keep a safe distance from their house.

I gotta say, the 'gun buying scare' the politicians have caused is giving me a real headache on some aspects of my gun build. I've been lucky that most of the parts I'm interested in appear to be in stock, but one or two key parts are out at the vendor I'm looking to buy the majority of the items from, and listed as "indefinite backorder". Gotta call them up and see if I can sweet talk them into saying how soon they'll have stock, as I'd prefer buying all the mechanical bits from one source and have it set up for 'best fit'.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I then found out that police usually don't carry firearms over there unless in special circumstances. The thought of it baffles me lol :poly142:

Given the average intelligence of our local street-bound police is approximately on par with a soggy potato, I feel considerably safer knowing that they don't have them.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13

At the federal level, there aren't any "safe storage" laws, per se, except where title 2 (NFA) firearms are involved, and those are an entirely different ballgame.

You can store normal rifles, pistols, and shotguns that you buy at the store pretty much however you want, with the possible exception of piling them in your front yard overnight. That might get you jacked up for various forms of negligence if anything happens.

Locked up, laid out on the kitchen table, loaded, unloaded - up to you, your living circumstances, and your desire to follow safety principles. What's "safe" for one person might be dangerously stupid for somebody else. A single guy living out in the woods in bear or meth head country leaving a loaded 12 gauge next to the bed isn't inherently unsafe, but it's not a good idea for a couple with small children running around or visiting frequently.

That said: at the state and local level, all kinds of different storage laws come into play in different places. Best to look up what the laws are at your specific location.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    if you have the guns locked and ammo stored far away from the guns, then how would you ever get to them fast enough to prevent a burglar who just broke in ?

seems like counter active to have gun for defense without the ability to open carry them fully loaded any where and everywhere. just makes the whole point of responsible owner moot if they are not allowed to actually carry them responsibly.

this isnt an anti-gun political question, it is just a serious question that always came to my mind.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    MM wrote: »
    if you have the guns locked and ammo stored far away from the guns, then how would you ever get to them fast enough to prevent a burglar who just broke in ?

seems like counter active to have gun for defense without the ability to open carry them fully loaded any where and everywhere. just makes the whole point of responsible owner moot if they are not allowed to actually carry them responsibly.

this isnt an anti-gun political question, it is just a serious question that always came to my mind.

...welcome to the firearms rights debate, you just strolled into the center of no-man's-land. :poly121:
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Not my photo, but I own this bad boy

FK7XAVKFXETSF0H.LARGE.jpg
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11

If you live in a state that has this rule, you simply don't follow it for your home-defense weapon. Hopefully it never comes to it. But if it does, then you simply say that you went to the other room and got the ammo and nobody can prove otherwise. More likely than not though, you'd simply just not say anything at all and it will never come up.

Most people own several firearms for different purposes, and most of those are probably not for immediate self-defense. So those should be locked up in a gun safe. Both for safety reason, and also because you simply don't want them stolen if your house gets broken into when you're not there. Shit's expensive.
  • Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    @Bigjohn - spoken like a dude who needs to post some pics!

@flaagan - I've found both AR parts and ammo to be quite scarce online. You might be better off hitting a show (at least for ammo.) I actually want to unload my 16 inch fixed front sight for something I can put a full rail on with a flip up front and back. Like this, only I would still keep it around 16 including muzzle break ar15.jpg
    If I wasn't into that, I would do what you're going for, make my AR reach out there. I know you already have that upper, but you might see how you like AR-10s (.308 )

Nice pics dudes.

Yeah, for home defense, it's best to have something nearby, or a few stashed here or there.

Also, as far as I know, having a piece for home defense is very common (everywhere I've lived.) Even people I know that don't collect or sport shoot have something for the house. It's generally understood not to go into anyone's home unannounced...
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PLEASE STOP POLITICAL CONVERSATION IN THIS THREAD. Thank you.
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bcottage polycounter lvl 13
    I dont think it is possible to not talk about politics when a thread about guns is involved.

I guess if you live in the US it comes natural. Living in England the subject of guns does bring up questions. All i hear on the news from the US is another killing spree.

It cannot be helped
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    on a topic like that you can not stop talking about this. you will have to live with it.

guns

.. mehh
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Memory wrote: »
    Also, as far as I know, having a piece for home defense is very common (everywhere I've lived.) Even people I know that don't collect or sport shoot have something for the house. It's generally understood not to go into anyone's home unannounced...

I think that's more of a regional thing - it was common in rural areas I lived but I saw it less in the suburbs and urban areas... until I moved to Texas.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Memory - Unless the vendor I'm going with is way behind on their site, about the only thing I'm going to have trouble getting from them is the bolt carrier group. That being said, I can get even better ones (nickel bromide instead of chrome) from other sources if need be. I'm going with a 24" barrel and I've already ordered my free floating handguard, an octogonal carbon fiber setup with cooling slots and no rails setup.

I'm also looking into some laser engraving setps for the exposed part of the barrel, will likely be doing some hot rod flames (classic or pinstripe style) around the barrel and may do some dark red pinstriping on the handguard. The colors (silver, black, red) are going to end up mirroring what I want to do with the Morgan I'm rebuilding, though a bit more 'hot rod'-ish in appearance.

I want the thing to end up looking badass, not just "big and scary". :)
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bcottage wrote: »
    I dont think it is possible to not talk about politics when a thread about guns is involved.

I guess if you live in the US it comes natural. Living in England the subject of guns does bring up questions. All i hear on the news from the US is another killing spree.

It cannot be helped
    Yes, you can, you can not post in this thread and let people who have a different view than you post.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Is it possible to get some nice ref of the clips and stuff? These pictures are nice but they arent much use for modelling / texturing :)
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv wrote: »
    Is it possible to get some nice ref of the clips and stuff? These pictures are nice but they arent much use for modelling / texturing :)

Just fyi, "clip" is the wrong term. A clip is the old style 'feed from above' setup like in some WW1 and early WW2 weapons. A "mag" or "magazine" is the correct term for a seperate, removable and reloadable ammo container that is attached to and feeds into the gun. I can dig up a few vendor sites for your reference if you want.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Shiv wrote: »

lol, this thread isnt really about getting reference for modeling/texturing. i bet it was just an excuse to show off your guns.

lets face it, there are enough websites where you can get LOTS of good photo references for modeling guns and as far as texturing goes, these guns are no good mainly because they have not been used that much. there is very minimal surface damage on these, some of them even look like oxidized as if they had been stored in a locker for most of their lives.

if you want proper texture reference that reflects heavy use like it should in most action games, then look it up in google.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, this thread isnt really about getting reference for modeling/texturing. i bet it was just an excuse to show off your guns.

lets face it, there are enough websites where you can get LOTS of good photo references for modeling guns and as far as texturing goes, these guns are no good mainly because they have not been used that much. there is very minimal surface damage on these, some of them even look like oxidized as if they had been stored in a locker for most of their lives.

if you want proper texture reference that reflects heavy use like it should in most action games, then look it up in google.

Actually it was a thread about showing off your guns. Or what would be called an "arsenal thread" The refs was a secondary objective in order to make it applicable to game art. I really don't get why people in this are so butthurt. Yeah, we get it guns are scary if you live in Europe, great. Let's not post whiny comments about how terrified you are and shit up this thread. Not really saying you specifically but it's old and unnecessary.

ALSO: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoSNHe413rY"]Magazine vs Clip - YouTube[/ame]
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Actually it was a thread about showing off your guns. Or what would be called an "arsenal thread" The refs was a secondary objective in order to make it applicable to game art. I really don't get why people in this are so butthurt. Yeah, we get it guns are scary if you live in Europe, great. Let's not post whiny comments about how terrified you are and shit up this thread. Not really saying you specifically but it's old and unnecessary.

LOL the irony! i always thought people who bought that many guns were the ones who were terrified and scared than any one else, specially with the talk of people living out of city areas and what not...

as for the thread, i said that because if you consider the non-usefulness of this thread as a source of gun reference then it becomes pointless for this thread to exist in Polycount since it has nothing to do with art really.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL the irony! i always thought people who bought tha tmany guns were the ones who were terrified and scared than any non gun owners.

as for the thread, i said that because if you consider the non-usefulness of this thread as a source of gun reference then it becomes pointless for this thread to exist in Polycount since it has nothing to do with art really.

Except that it's in off topic/general and doesn't have to do with anything.

Listen man, you can think whatever you want, I don't care, but please don't come and shit up threads that you have nothing positive to contribute to.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    the mods/admins can clarify better, but all off topic threads still need to be art/game art related somehow...
    This is where all the off-topic 3D/videogame art talk goes.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the mods/admins can clarify better, but all off topic threads still need to be art/game art related somehow...

I'm done arguing with you. There are plenty of off topic threads, no one has bitched about it except you. Go shit up some other thread.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    He's not bitching about it. He's having perfectly valid discussion in a discussion thread. You don't get to set the rules for what people post in threads, if you want to do that go start your own forum with hookers and booze and you can do whatever you want.

He could just as much say you're bitching about his posts but he won't say that because he's a nice guy and not a fucking psycho who owns a bajillion guns and is probably already planning to use them to shoot up a school or something. (See how generalising based on where you live is stupid?)
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

for those of you who want to argue politics in this thread the mods have ALREADY WARNED YOU not to derail this thread with anti gun rants and your political views.
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Keep this on topic guys, this isn't a political thread. If you wanna discuss gun control im sure you can find somewhere more constructive than here.

this is not directed atf MM but in general...

if you dont like the topic DON'T POST. start your own thread about politics if you want to argue about politics.

it comes off as very ignorant and intolerant to muck up threads just because they do not fit into your narrow cultural beliefs and local customs. most of the world does not work like new york or london and it never will. being open minded means you have the capacity to accept other peoples customs and culture without feeling threatened or disconcerted.

@AlexCatMasterSupreme, from a non gun owner thanks for the pics and information. i think you can count your objective a success.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11

Oh dear, looks like it's someones first time in the often artistically irrelevant General Discussion! Oh, the cats and cocks you will soon see...

Guys, if you don't agree with a bit of pew pew, don't post in this thread. I don't agree with civilian gun ownership either, but harassing these guys who are just trying to talk to each other about their hobby is very unfair. Give over and go do something else.

Nice photos guys. I am now a little more scared of all of you.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    To be fair, the images would be of some value to the community. If folks are taking pictures anyway, we might as well get some nice clean shots in neutral lighting to toss in our collective reference folders.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    This is a pretty meaty thread if I do say so myself; so this is why people like those shooting games so much?
  • Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    valuemeal wrote: »
    This is a pretty meaty thread if I do say so myself; so this is why people like those shooting games so much?

It's actually quite interesting, informative, and somewhat of a privilege to have shot a lot of guns featured in games in real life--not a lot of people get to do that (except for FPS Russia bless his heart.)

From my experience, I can tell you that I wouldn't be hauling ass across a jungle hip firing an M1-Garand as depicted in games! One inaccuracy in games that gets to me, besides generally handling weapons in a terribly unsafe manner (pointing them at teammates, etc) is the sound all the "silencers" make. They generally aren't as "sub sonic" as games would have you believe!

More gun questions!
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks for this thread, i love to see law abiding citizen thinking for themselves while this makes me learn a thing or two by just watching. We've gone to the moon with rocket science didn't we ?

-Regards
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    Well, I meant meaty in the sense that many people seem to be tough guys.
    I wasn't aware that so many people own firearms and were so well versed in how they operate.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal wrote: »
    Well, I meant meaty in the sense that many people seem to be tough guys.
    I wasn't aware that so many people own firearms and were so well versed in how they operate.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of some of the individuals I see at the range, treating the gun like it's some extension of their machismo. I see guns no differently than I see cars - they're incredble piecs of machinery and can often be incredible works of art in their own right, they must be respected but there's absolutely no reason they shouldn't be enjoyed.

I'm actually a little surprised some of the guys I used to work with at Cryptic haven't posted up in this thread, they've got some damn cool guns in their collection.

Oh, and sorry to dredge up 'politics', but some dumb-ass who was disobeying the laws regarding 80% lowers and the handling of machining them into full lowers (and flaunting that he was) got raided by the ATF a short bit ago, and then folks started spreading rumors that the ATF is saying "build parties" are now illegal. So all the potential build parties I was looking to go to in order to get my 80% lower machined out are now cowering in the corner shitting themselves. Now I've either got to wait for that to blow over or try and do the machining myself.. not something I really want to do. Just my luck. :P
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    Here is some reference sans politics.

Kimber 1911:

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
    6.jpg
    7.jpg
    8.jpg
    9.jpg10.jpg
    11.jpg

Here is a link to a rar with the high res photos.
    http://jonathanlambert-art.com/Public/GunRef/kimber1911.rar
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jonathan - Nice! The Kimber 1911 is definitely one of those "want to own at some point" pistols for me.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    That's some sexy sexy reference there. Can we get additional shots of the included CD-rom?
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    lol, stay tuned...
    XD45c on 50 shades of grey is coming soon.
  • AdmiralTex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4310097_f520.jpg

Welcome to the gun show, ladies.
  • Kave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kave triangle
    Guns are cool.

If i lived in 'MURRICA HOME OF THE FREE LAND OF THE BRAVE™ i'd probably own guns too.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    why is that gun resting on a c++ learning book?
    guns dont help you coding
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    @JonathanLambert
    nice reference. I was actually looking for something like this for a personal project. thanks
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    why is that gun resting on a c++ learning book?
    guns dont help you coding

Troubleshooting. Bughunting.