Snader wrote: »
    Troubleshooting. Bughunting.
    :D!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    okay so,

i have experience with a couple of different guns, was wondering how any of you would compare (if possible) to the ones i'd used.

pistol wise, i only got to use the Browning L9A1, personally i found it a bit clunky and was never what i would consider comfortable with it. but it was standard issue so i had no real choice.

assault rifle wise i trained heavily with an SA80 (L85A), which most americans would likely never come into contact with outside of the military and even then it's unlikely. i've also trained with an H&K G36, and a colt M4A1.

i've used three rifles, a lee-enfield mk3 which was a beeeautiful gun, it felt very nostalgic and it was actually the first gun i'd ever fired when i was 13 in the sea cadets. i've also used an M40, which was nice but i much prefered the L115A3.

now, i appreciate that this is pretty much all military restricted gear, but i know you can get semi-auto varients of most of it in the states if i'm not mistaken. and i haven't fired a weapon in around 8 years now but i'm curious if anyone has fired anything similar and could compare to anything they have. talking about ease of use, how smooth they feel, maintenance etc.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    pistol wise, i only got to use the Browning L9A1, personally i found it a bit clunky and was never what i would consider comfortable with it. but it was standard issue so i had no real choice.
    Aren't those out of use by now? I thought they stopped using them in the 60s. That's one of the older 1911-esque designs. I think it's been replaced by Glocks lately. If you found it clunky, then I'm sure a Glock will fix that. It's a hell of a lot more minimal. I own a SigP226, which isn't exactly streamlined either (though it has a lot less "features", like it doesn't have a safety for instance), but I think it's a lot more streamlined than those. Even the Beretta feels too clunky to me. Just having to deal with the safety is annoying.

The modern Glocks mostly have internal safeties you don't even interact with. The only thing is a safety that's mounted on the trigger itself, which obviously makes it very streamlined.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    okay so,

i have experience with a couple of different guns, was wondering how any of you would compare (if possible) to the ones i'd used.

assault rifle wise i trained heavily with an SA80 (L85A), which most americans would likely never come into contact with outside of the military and even then it's unlikely. i've also trained with an H&K G36, and a colt M4A1.

i've used three rifles, a lee-enfield mk3 which was a beeeautiful gun, it felt very nostalgic and it was actually the first gun i'd ever fired when i was 13 in the sea cadets. i've also used an M40, which was nice but i much prefered the L115A3.

now, i appreciate that this is pretty much all military restricted gear, but i know you can get semi-auto varients of most of it in the states if i'm not mistaken. and i haven't fired a weapon in around 8 years now but i'm curious if anyone has fired anything similar and could compare to anything they have. talking about ease of use, how smooth they feel, maintenance etc.

Pretty much the only firearm you listed that is completely unobtainable in the US is the G36... and there are even a few of those floating around.

As far as the SA80, it's not well thought of over here, mostly due to its less than stellar history and the poorly executed bullpup layout. Modern fighting rifle theory demands the ability to fire from both shoulders where necessary, and a weapon that tries to break your jaw when you fire it left handed is, well, less than popular.

Surprised you didn't like the Browning Hi-Power. It's a very popular and well-liked pistol worldwide.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Just ordered all the goodies for my build. Only thing I'm still having difficulty buying is the bolt carrier group. A friend who's helping me sort out my build messaged me at ~4:30 today, said he'd gotten a notification around 4 that a particular site had them in stock. I went to the site, and it already had them listed as "all BCG's that were delivered to us on 5/2 (today) are sold out." :poly142:

In other news, on the 'customization' front, turns out the laser engraving company I was looking at only goes as big as pistol barrels. Not to worry, though, that same friend sent me this link for a barrel fluting company...

http://twistedbarrel.com/

designs.jpg

Already emailed the guy up to get a quote for the "interrupted" style for my barrel, though asked if it'd be possible to get a variant based on the hole size / spacing of my handguard. We'll see what he comes back with.

So, for you guys looking for interesting reference material... there you go!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Aren't those out of use by now? I thought they stopped using them in the 60s. That's one of the older 1911-esque designs. I think it's been replaced by Glocks lately. If you found it clunky, then I'm sure a Glock will fix that. It's a hell of a lot more minimal. I own a SigP226, which isn't exactly streamlined either (though it has a lot less "features", like it doesn't have a safety for instance), but I think it's a lot more streamlined than those. Even the Beretta feels too clunky to me. Just having to deal with the safety is annoying.

The modern Glocks mostly have internal safeties you don't even interact with. The only thing is a safety that's mounted on the trigger itself, which obviously makes it very streamlined.

they were standard issue in the UK military (except the SAS) until 2012 i think, they were replaced with the glock. unfortunately i haven't served in the military since i was 20, so i won't get to try the new glock unless i visit the states and find a range that will loan me a weapon for a couple of hours (do they even do that?)
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah some shooting ranges let you rent guns, depends on where you go. It's popular for Japanese tourists to go to shooting ranges in Hawaii and rent different guns because almost all guns are banned in Japan.
  • alberkhav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I own a pair of zombies chained to the wall in my basement ;)
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bibendum wrote: »
    Yeah some shooting ranges let you rent guns, depends on where you go. It's popular for Japanese tourists to go to shooting ranges in Hawaii and rent different guns because almost all guns are banned in Japan.

Yeah. Gotten plenty of time with various handguns at the local indoor ranges. I don't know about other states / areas, but I do know around here you're required to go with another person. It was a (rather smart) thing they started requiring to cut down on the number of suicides that were happening.

Japan's anti-gun rules have actually had one interesting side effect. They are a top-quality producer of airsoft guns and gear, since that kind of 'gun' is allowed over there.
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    Here's some ref for a Springfield XD45c. I'm a little embarrassed to post some of these because I didn't realize how filthy this thing was. But this is my EDC and it's seen a lot of use.

Link to rar with full res images.

XD1.jpg

XD2.jpg

XD3.jpg

XD4.jpg

XD5.jpg

XD6.jpg

XD7.jpg

XD8.jpg

XD9.jpg

XD10.jpg

XD11.jpg

XD12.jpg

XD13.jpg

XD14.jpg
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    i'm not pro guns at all, but that gun looks pretty awesome. thanks for the hi-res shots. seems the thread is getting more useful :)
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good reference thread (among many on the forum) for both those of you wanting photos of guns and those of you wanting to take photos of guns.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=37727
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they were standard issue in the UK military (except the SAS) until 2012 i think, they were replaced with the glock. unfortunately i haven't served in the military since i was 20, so i won't get to try the new glock unless i visit the states and find a range that will loan me a weapon for a couple of hours (do they even do that?)

Oh yeah, most ranges around the LA area will have rentals. It's usually $10 a day, and that grants you access to their entire selection, which will surely have a few Glocks, and you can switch out as much as you want. Some have $20 rentals which grants you access to all those, plus some "fancy" ones. Fancy ones being classics, or stuff like the Beretta 92fs. But that varies from range to range.

Only catch is that you have to have a driver's license from one of the 50 states. You can't just go in with a passport. You can still go, but you'd have to go with an American who has a driver's license.

If you're ever in the LA area, I'll happily take you.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    You pay for ammo separately though, right?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Oh yeah, most ranges around the LA area will have rentals. It's usually $10 a day, and that grants you access to their entire selection, which will surely have a few Glocks, and you can switch out as much as you want. Some have $20 rentals which grants you access to all those, plus some "fancy" ones. Fancy ones being classics, or stuff like the Beretta 92fs. But that varies from range to range.

Only catch is that you have to have a driver's license from one of the 50 states. You can't just go in with a passport. You can still go, but you'd have to go with an American who has a driver's license.

If you're ever in the LA area, I'll happily take you.

man if i ever manage to make it out to cali again i'd happily take you up on that.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Geez, you guys have some serious hardware.

Really nice high-res shots! The dirtier the better, right? :P
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »

Usually, yah. Haven't been recently, but I suspect with the rising cost of ammunition, it's probably good business sense to be charging for that.
    man if i ever manage to make it out to cali again i'd happily take you up on that.

Same offer applies up here in the Bay Area, and if I can't host there's plenty of other industry folks around here that like guns as well.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Yeah, ammo is separate. It's around $12-$20 for a bag of 50 rounds, depending on the caliber.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

These days, it's so pricey and so hard to find, you take out a loan and put your heirs on a waiting list. :poly127:
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 wrote: »
    These days, it's so pricey and so hard to find, you take out a loan and put your heirs on a waiting list. :poly127:

Exactly the reason I bought the .22lr pistol and I'm building a .223/5.56 rifle. "Common as mud" ammunition, and a hell of lot easier to find (and afford) than the .303 rounds my current rifle uses.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    making your own .303 rounds isn't too difficult.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    making your own .303 rounds isn't too difficult.

True, but I'd rather not get overly involved in that kind of hobby.

Besides, the 303 has too much kick for it to be a fun regular target / range gun, at least in my opinion.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i always found my lee-enfield to be fairly soft, as rifles go. but i've not used another 303 rifle to compare.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    That XD, all my jelly. I'm not old enough to buy a handgun for a few months and find the XD very sexy.

And yeah ammo is crazy expensive, if I wanted to go shoot 1 mag from my AK it would be between 8-15 dollars. Think about that. 8-15 dollars to empty a mag.
    It's like 200 dollars for one day of fun:/

BTW, that fluted barrel looks sexy, that one youre ordering.
  • RMeeks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually it was a thread about showing off your guns. Or what would be called an "arsenal thread" The refs was a secondary objective in order to make it applicable to game art. I really don't get why people in this are so butthurt. Yeah, we get it guns are scary if you live in Europe, great. Let's not post whiny comments about how terrified you are and shit up this thread. Not really saying you specifically but it's old and unnecessary.

ALSO: Magazine vs Clip - YouTube

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kU0XCVey_U"]This Is My Rifle. This Is My Gun - YouTube[/ame]
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Picked up my Browning Buck Mark 22lr pistol today, can't wait to get to the range sometime soon! I need to find somewhere in our place that has good lighting so I can take some photos of our guns for you guys. For the moment, a 'just unpacked' photo of the pistol.

465765_10151407138731022_1417848524_o.jpg
  • Caleo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    px4k.jpg
    Took this pic a long time ago.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    btw just saying any sick materials on gonne pics posted here will get an official Sick Mats approval rating from me so post sick materials
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Lol Sick Mats.

Hey, uh, what's the deal with this trigger here:

XGRcNcm.png

Explain.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a safety. The trigger can't move until that extra part on the trigger is pressed.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I suspected as much. How safe can it be though, being right on the trigger? IDK, I never shot one, but wouldn't that either have very little effect, or otherwise make it more difficult to fire in quick succession?
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    XD3.jpg

It's pretty safe. If you look at the back of the pistol, you can see the grip safety. This must be depressed and held in for the weapon to function. In my limited experience with trigger safety, I didn't notice the difference between that and a standard trigger, in terms of feel.

Glocks on the other hand have trigger safety only, but are used worldwide by police and military. Their philosophy is that the holster is the first level of safety. Once you've drawn the weapon, your finger shouldn't be on the trigger unless you intend to fire. If you're aiming at a target, finger on the trigger, the safety better be off or you're going to have a problem. Trying to disable a safety while drawing and aiming the pistol adds another level of complexity to an already difficult maneuver. If you factor gloves into the equation, this further complicates matters as fine movements are inhibited by the glove material.

It's also possible to carry the weapon without a round in the chamber, where the top-slide must be drawn backwards before a round is placed into battery - adding another stage of manipulation before the weapon is hot. How safe is it really? I don't know, however most NY cops need heavier weight triggers. Whether or not this is really safer is also a point of much discussion.

http://glock.com/english/options_triggerspring.htm
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Walrus wrote: »
    Glocks on the other hand have trigger safety only, but are used worldwide by police and military. Their philosophy is that the holster is the first level of safety. Once you've drawn the weapon, your finger shouldn't be on the trigger unless you intend to fire. If you're aiming at a target, finger on the trigger, the safety better be off or you're going to have a problem. Trying to disable a safety while drawing and aiming the pistol adds another level of complexity to an already difficult maneuver. If you factor gloves into the equation, this further complicates matters as fine movements are inhibited by the glove material.

Dude mindblow, i didn't ever realized at all the mechanics into aiming and using a weapon. Excellent explanation.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Walrus wrote: »
    It's also possible to carry the weapon without a round in the chamber, where the top-slide must be drawn backwards before a round is placed into battery - adding another stage of manipulation before the weapon is hot. How safe is it really? I don't know, however most NY cops need heavier weight triggers. Whether or not this is really safer is also a point of much discussion.

http://glock.com/english/options_triggerspring.htm

Chamber-empty carry (sometimes called Israeli carry) used to be somewhat common but is heavily advised against by professional firearm instructors in current day theory, for a variety of reasons... mostly response time. Most modern handguns have redundant internal safeties to prevent the firing pin dropping on a chambered round without a deliberate trigger pull, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to further handicap yourself in a split-second life and death situation by requiring that you rack the slide before you can get into the fight.

"NY triggers" for Glocks only exist because NYPD leadership is so incredibly politicized and anti-gun that they hate the very idea of police officers having guns, and only allow it because the brass would pay for it politically if they made beat cops use hugs and soft bunnies the way NYPD and NYC city leadership would prefer. Bloomberg, Cuomo, and the NYPD brass have a pathologically deranged hatred towards firearms of all kinds and NY triggers for the NYPD Glocks were created simply to make it harder for an officer to pull the trigger.

Besides the leadership's mental problems and the politics involved, NYPD has a history in recent years of serious training problems (because of the political influences) and their undertrained officers repeatedly lit up some people who might not have needed shooting.

NYPD brass and city leadership's answer: better training? Nope. Better officer candidate selection? Nope. Come up with a contrived mechanical solution to make the gun's trigger more difficult to pull? Yup. Ignore the other problems that introduces, such as making it much more difficult to fire the weapon accurately and inducing other very bad weapons handling habits in officers? That too.

Glock does not recommend the heavier trigger configuration, they only provide it because NYPD demanded it and that contract is a big chunk of cash.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ wrote: »
    Dude mindblow, i didn't ever realized at all the mechanics into aiming and using a weapon. Excellent explanation.

Yup, thats pretty well thought out, thanks for the info!
  • lilJohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lilJohn polycounter lvl 5
    My 870 Express. 5La7n54.jpgFqXN4n8.jpgLSf3GqQ.jpgJdc3zaA.jpgo4CW8S5.jpgWS580hZ.jpg

sorry about my feet being in the picture. I took over 30 ref photos, this is my new project.

my quick 10 cents: guns are difficult, and require patience. my last AR took over 4 weeks to make the highpoly. so holy shit, if you can make perfect (functionally aesthetic) guns, you can make anything.

hope, I'm not making a bad impression on myself by posting these. if anyone would like more references just feel free to pm me.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I own a 30/30 hunting rifle that is a mutt of Winchester and Marlin components. It was given to me by my great-uncle. I live in a relatively urban area, so I don't get a chance to practice with it very often. Once the temperature cools down, or my uncle visits, I will probably pull it out and head out to the shooting range.
  • Itholon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Itholon polycounter lvl 7
    I wonder how hard is it to obtain a Firearms licens in other countries? Because I live in Czech Republic which is one of the countries with "easier" firearms laws, for example you can carry a concealed firearm without any particular purpose (unusuall in EU). But you still have to answer shit ton of questions and have a great medical/psychological condition and stuff like that.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    I have swords... and throwing knives.... :3 but not guns :(
  • Itholon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Itholon polycounter lvl 7
    Swords are fucking cool though.
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron wrote: »
    Lol Sick Mats.

Hey, uh, what's the deal with this trigger here:

XGRcNcm.png

Explain.

Yeah, it's basically a safety feature to help prevent shooting yourself in the leg while reholstering or if the trigger gets snagged on something. Your finger has to be in full contact with the trigger to be able to pull it. There's almost no resistance so you don't notice it while firing.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Does anyone know if it's possible to get gun replicas/ realistic airsoft guns in the UK?

I don't think you can because of the VCRA act. You can get an exemption but I don't know if 3d modelling would be valid. Though you can get replicas from before 1870.

Anyone have any experience with this?
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    komaokc wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's possible to get gun replicas/ realistic airsoft guns in the UK?

I don't think you can because of the VCRA act. You can get an exemption but I don't know if 3d modelling would be valid. Though you can get replicas from before 1870.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I believe you can have them if you can prove that you regularly participate in air soft events.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe you can have them if you can prove that you regularly participate in air soft events.

Yep I played airsoft for 3 years at Uni. The short of it is UK shops will only sell them to you if you have a UKARA membership that you get by playing 3 airsoft games within I think 2 months or something.

The exception is you can buy them straight away with if you allow for it to be painted bright blue and or green.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    BlvdNights wrote: »
    cps2000_00.jpg

Damn man I'm kinda intimidated now. This kinda firepower should be outlawed.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    You can buy deactivated firearms in the UK but they can be rather pricey if you're after something specific.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    So if I understand correctly you can purchase a deactivated real weapon but you can't buy a replica or an airsoft gun? Doesn't seem very logical. Don't really feel like playing airsoft just to get the gun.

Guess I'll just have to stick to online reference :(
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    komaokc wrote: »
    So if I understand correctly you can purchase a deactivated real weapon but you can't buy a replica or an airsoft gun? Doesn't seem very logical. Don't really feel like playing airsoft just to get the gun.

Guess I'll just have to stick to online reference :(

UK weapons laws are some of the most convoluted and nonsensical in the western world, largely because they were adopted in knee-jerk phases under "THINK OF THE POOR CHILDREN" emotional media blitzes, without stopping and looking closely at how they would actually work in practice and whether those results were remotely logical.

Might I suggest the Czech Republic or Switzerland? :poly121: