Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    It does look awesome Zip, the problem is can you see the detail when at Dota2 distance? It might need a bit of colour on the emblem depending, and maybe some baked shadow on the lower ends of the upper 3 spine pieces on the back. Spose it's just trial and error, you might even need some mossy stuff on it, the dota2 workshop seems hard to please :p

Yeah they're definitely harder to please than the TF2 community was. I think I'll mess around with coloring the Cthulu a bit so it's more visible at a distance and maybe some moss/salt stain. The normals are more visible than you'd think though at a distance. I'll get a screenshot of that tomorrow after I fiddle with the textures some more. People are always asking for a lot of detail in the textures though but you can't see it at all when it's high up. Most of the items are just solid colors and gradients.
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Why not color Cthulhu and the trims a lighter color, following most of the armor design in Dota which have lighter/contrasting trims and decorations.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, I was gonna say this as well, it seems that the armor just blends into itself a bit too much while clashing with the base model. Maybe bring in some of the color palette from the original model like the PDF they released suggests? I really like the Cthulu theme :)
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    Zipfinator
    i would definetly put another color correction layer on top of your diffuse, to adjust the overall tone, so the colors suit slardars skin color more.
    right now the armor feels kinda detached from him.

although this is a case where you should definetly check in game how it all looks with light and stuff.

im not doing shit until they release the dota sdk.
    already wasted too much time trying to compile stuff without knowing if the result will even work in engine.
  • Tomm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my current wip, looking at it for too long I'm not sure if I didn't fck up his silhouette too much.
    5oh27k.jpg
  • Robbyh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If thats bountyhunter, id say his silluete is off a little. he looks bulky , to thin stomach area and to big shoulder´ish pads.
    just my take.

Oh and dont hide the eyes. !
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits everyone.

@Aivanov, I'll mess around with that. The reason I didn't do that originally is because it's pretty much crafted as a single piece of plate but if it looks better it doesn't matter.

@Spudnik and Goeddy, right now the armor's color is based off of the metal on his stock mace. I'll mess around with coloring it similarly to his body though because it does look a bit too contrasted.
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    The reason I didn't do that originally is because it's pretty much crafted as a single piece of plate but if it looks better it doesn't matter.

You can keep the concept of it being made of single forged pieces by just simply making the trim/logo more weathered; something like this?

i5V4oXysxdx5o.jpg

You can also probably add some more color variation by adding warm-colored tones and lighting, akin to this:

ZNp0o.jpg

and

h1Lgl.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the paintover and refs Aiv. I have a layer of color var like that last ref but it wasn't that visible. I turned up the transparency on it so it's more obvious now. Here are a few color variations. Which one do you guys like best? I'm going to mess around with brightening the edges and symbol now.

slardar_gaurdian_wip_05.jpg
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the helmet's scheme.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all of your help Aivanov and everyone else. Pretty much done now, just collecting the files to make the new .zip files. Does anyone know what the upload limit is? Or how to resize the VTFs when creating them? I tried using the resize function in VTFEdit but it doesn't want to work so I'm thinking of uploading the PSDs and VTF/VMTs but each PSD is about 6mb.

EDIT: Looked on the workshop and saw some submissions up to about 8.5mb so it should be fine to submit larger PSD files.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    zip, to stick that armor into the aquatic theme, why not attach some barnacles on it?

also fill the grooves with a lighter greenish tone:
    http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00MCAaLSHqLopZ/Bronze-Sculpture-Antique-Imitation-RXBC030035-.jpg

As you can see bronze got corroded, and when polishing its hard to get into the deep grooves so it stays corroded at those places.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Evil, I'm most likely done with this set. I've spent enough time on it and have other things to work on. Maybe I'll do another slardar set sometime that's more seaworn and barnacled. My logic for why this one isn't too worn is because it's his Guardian armor so he takes care of it. I did already paint some lighter tones though.

Here's the new images. Click on them to go to the workshop page!

guardian_helmet_01.jpg

guardian_shoulders_01.jpg

guardian_tail_01.jpg

guardian_trident_01.jpg

guardian_01.jpg

guardian_02.jpg

guardian_03.jpg
  • CGB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CGB
    swordgrab.png
    Something that i've been working on. Probably for the Faceless Void or another hero if that doesn't work out. Still needs work around the guard/pommel and the upper part of the blade.
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! Great execution! I'd suggest to test it against the hero's geometry as soon as possible to avoid any weird animation snags.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great zip!

I have been pondering about an item for the workshop, I'l try to get a concept piece up for it soon.
  • deolol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deolol polycounter lvl 6
    are animations 24 fps or 30 fps?

e.g. courierer animation? thx
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some runes to the handle of the Trident so it's not quite as simple.

Guardian_trident_01.jpg
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    CGB wrote: »
    swordgrab.png
    Something that i've been working on. Probably for the Faceless Void or another hero if that doesn't work out. Still needs work around the guard/pommel and the upper part of the blade.

Legit man, make it reddish and orange (fiery) and i could totally see this on doombringer
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    @pear I really like it, love the idea too. Drow's a personal favourite of mine and I love cool items for her! I think the hair may be too white though. I know that's her actual hair colour, but in game it's mostly hidden by the hood, so you don't have a glaring white beacon of light. It's one of the reasons I don't like the spiky hair she has currently as an unlock.
  • e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Added some runes to the handle of the Trident so it's not quite as simple.

Guardian_trident_01.jpg

@ZIp I like the rune design but i think that it would be nice if you add a little more or some other crazy desings in the body... I don't know i am concerned about how clear the player will see it in the WorldView as is it right now.

@Crazyfingers Yeaaaaa:poly136:
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    And what about this?
    catfood-1.png
  • Nemozini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you made her bold still better than the spikes in the store. that said , yours is good and I like it. Yep much better than earlier bright white version.
    btw you are blocking the quiver section with hood being down.

I'm working on Drow too , so maybe my items will fit your hair in a set :)
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    oh man im so dumb i forgot about the quiver FFFFFFFFFFFF
  • I-ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja polycounter lvl 5
    Nice stuff Zipfinator if only i had the skill

any way right now i'm just making random stuff for BH and thinking of a way the put it together.
    pu1c.jpg
    pu1cback.jpg
  • CGB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CGB
    Done some more work on this. Tested it with the Faceless Void's attack anim and he just struck with the side of the blade (his attack animation was meant for a mace), so that might not work.
    swordgrab3.png
    voidblade1.png
    voidblade2.png
  • I-ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja polycounter lvl 5
    That sword seems more like a sword for Doom Bringer then faceless void
  • Kamaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamaki polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys, this was a weapon I submitted to the workshop a few days ago but I guess I should post it here and get some crit.
    600x337.resizedimage

The comments have been pretty helpful actually as I've been updating it the last few days.

Are people actually compiling there items by the way? I've only submitted an .obj and my texture.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Kamaki wrote: »
    Hey guys, this was a weapon I submitted to the workshop a few days ago but I guess I should post it here and get some crit.
    600x337.resizedimage

The comments have been pretty helpful actually as I've been updating it the last few days.

Are people actually compiling there items by the way? I've only submitted an .obj and my texture.

Initially I compiled them but didn't try to get them working, with my latest weapon though I got it working, it takes a bit of figuring out. It doesn't really effect the way people vote though, and valves not gonna come round to it for a while I reckon, so you don't need to, however you can't really test how your mask1 + mask2 textures work unless you get it in an SDK like alien swarm.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I finished (version 1, at least) my blade for PA.

01.jpg

I'm thinking of making it darker, as some people have said in the comments, to match her armour a little more, but I'm pretty happy with it.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=77546361
  • spazmortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, I only found out about this the other day. This is what I have made today. Im thinking pirate/samurai/ninja :)

this is so much fun!
    bountyffront.jpg

What do you all think? will it fit with the theme of the game?
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spazmortis wrote: »
    Hi, I only found out about this the other day. This is what I have made today. Im thinking pirate/samurai/ninja :)

this is so much fun!

What do you all think? will it fit with the theme of the game?

Hmm as long as you make sure it stays close to his palette and not overly samurai/ninja/pirate colours, then I reckon people will like it.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @spazmortis
    Looks like the most solid submission i have seen so far.
  • KrazyTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @spazmortis Very Interesting idea I don't know why but it reminds me of a Ghibli Movie, just be careful with the color combinations:)
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Done a hammer for OmniKnight, I dunno about it though, not feeling it.. will probably come back and retexture it sometime - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=77594276

12weaponpreview1.jpg
  • KrazyTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Done a hammer for OmniKnight, I dunno about it though, not feeling it.. will probably come back and retexture it sometime - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=77594276

Lookin good, just one question... when u modelled it the object was all one mesh? or sepparated objects But combined? also it would be awesome if those symbols irradiated light, does Source support EmmisiveMaps?
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KrazyTaco wrote: »
    Lookin good, just one question... when u modelled it the object was all one mesh? or sepparated objects But combined? also it would be awesome if those symbols irradiated light, does Source support EmmisiveMaps?

The low poly is 2 elements, a hammer and a handle yeah, and the high poly I think 4 pieces. It does have emissive kinda, in the alpha of Mask1, it's currently on it already.
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    I remade the hood.
    newhood.png
  • spazmortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @visceral

I havnt submitted yet. I need to get a game code off valve first :S

Plus Thats only some zbrush concepting, I will start texturing and retopo soon.
  • RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    INCOMING MODEL REWORK:

uyIiP.jpg

Updated based on various feedback suggestions etc. Slimmed the sides, reworked the texture. Changed the designs on the side and shortened the outrageously wide noseguard that use to cover Enchantress' outrageously wide nose. Added a proper normal map. Anything other suggestions before I update the workshop link?

EDIT: I'm probably going to lower the sides so the ornaments won't block vision of Enchantress' mouth.

I also finally got it to appear in a SDK Model Viewer, compiled it with TF2's item test tool. Can't get it to load in the CS:GO SDK though, even with compiling with the itemtest made .qc file. Oh well:

d7Mhu.jpg

It's nice to see it looks nice with the source engine shaders. Anyone have any guides on how to get models compiled and working into the CS:GO Model Viewer?
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some cool stuff guys. @RossC while i like the overall helmet i feel it's a bit too obstructive, i think you could raies the bits covering the mouth a bit higher so you can see more of enchantresses' face. The little noby bits at the bottom in the mouth area look a bit out of place as well, a different type of detailing might look a bit better.

I had a question maybe someone here can answer.

Is it taboo to delete geometry from a character? I was thinking of doing some work for sniper but i wanted to get rid of his beard, but this is part of the base mesh of the character, so should I refrain from actually deleting polys? Or should I go ahead and do so knowing that at some point older characters will be revamped to allow for more intense reworks of their assets?

Hopefully have a concept to post soon, excited to get started on this stuff! Best opportunity for us artists with free time as far as I can tell :D
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're planning to remove geometry Crazy it might be better to wait until they set up those heroes for items so you know exactly what will be able to be removed. I'm probably going to start just not messing with heroes that aren't ready yet other than concepts/ideas and make some items for the heroes that they're accepting them for.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah right on zip, good advice, I think i'll skip on sniper for now and brainstorm a new hero.

Definitely lots to consider when choosing a hero that isn't in the valve documents yet. It would be nice to have a list of heroes that are ready to have items made for them officially released , though for those of you with the dota 2 beta you can skip through heros in the customize screen to see who has items currently released and be sure those heroes are ready to be geared.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It would be nice to have a list of heroes that are ready to have items made for them officially released , though for those of you with the dota 2 beta you can skip through heros in the customize screen to see who has items currently released and be sure those heroes are ready to be geared.

On the Steam Workshop you can sort items by the various tags. I think those heroes that are 'taggable' are the ones that are ready, although some other heroes not listed are broken up, these ones are probably going to be the first to have items implemented. Although having said that, Queen of Pain is broken up and on the list, but has no customizable item screen ingame...
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah thanks tortilla i'll definitely keep that in mind
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    @Spaz: Really fucking sweet man! Can't wait to see the textures on that!

@Tortilla: Looks great, the only thing that's trowing me off is the 90degree rotated logo at the top of the hammer. Maybe you can come up with a different design for the top so it doesn't look as copy pasted?
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik wrote: »
    @Spaz: Really fucking sweet man! Can't wait to see the textures on that!

@Tortilla: Looks great, the only thing that's trowing me off is the 90degree rotated logo at the top of the hammer. Maybe you can come up with a different design for the top so it doesn't look as copy pasted?

Yeah you're right, I wasn't liking it before but last night I touched it up. I'd added these bits and pieces but they just looked like noise on the model so I just cleaned it up. Spread out the symbols and removed some glowy bits too.

213weaponpreview2.jpg

I think he could do with a white/gold hammer at some point, something I might try with a different model.
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I've read and looked at most of your comments. I actually commented on some of your submissions on the workshop pages before I found this forum.

Zip- when you compiled your set, did each piece represent an item or is everything just one model? I'm working on a complete set and I don't want to waste the time of the community by separating each item. I would like to compile them all at once, which would include armor, gear, and a weapon. Also, are the sample images just including the base mesh, but not included in the submission? So people are including the base mesh in the screenshot to show their add-ons, but not including it in the zip. The zip just includes the finished smd compiled into a mdl/vtx/vvd vtf and vmt compiled from your diffuse, normal, and mask?

(Cannonfolder compile or GUIstudio MDL?)

1. Base Mesh
    2. High Poly
    3. Retop (Make Low Poly)
    4. Unwrap Low Poly
    5. Bake Normal Maps, Ambient Occlusion, Lightmaps etc etc.
    6. Texture it
    7. Skin/Compile/Config stuff

Normals maps with shared UV borders? What are you using to produce your normal maps? By using the STEAM UV symmetrical uv layout style, I'm finding problems generating normals maps that cover that shared border for a flawless seam. Again, I'm using Zbrush, so that might be an issue in itself.

As far as texture maps: color, mask, mask 1, mask 2, normal. 5 possible. One mask had nothing. Another mask seemed like it could be glow with its neon colors? Any clarification of the mask files would be helpful.

That is all I have for now. I will be sure to post pictures in the near future of what I'm working on.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sin, I uploaded all of my items separately because otherwise they wouldn't have all fit into one upload (With OBJs, SMD, QC, MDL, VTF, VMT, TGAs that are 4 times the resolution for all 4 textures). The images are just for presentation and don't have anything to do with how the model was compiled. It's just easier to see how the item would look when it's on the hero obviously.

I used xnormal to bake my normals from my high poly (Which I sculpted in Zbrush). Usually when you're baking you should move anything that's overlapping out of the 0:1 space. If you don't have your smoothing groups set up correctly and your render isn't synced you're going to get seams though. My items have seams too, they're just not very noticeable. Pretty much everything will have seams. You just need to UV it in a way where seams will be in a crevice for the most part.

As for the masks, check the first post. All of the information you need to develop items and fit them under the constraints of the model combination system is there.