Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    NoChance wrote: »
    Legal question

I'm interested in doing this in my spare time but was wondering if this would count as an "invention.' I signed a contract that I'm sure is pretty standard that states that anything I "invent" belongs to the company.

Normally I wouldn't care about art I was making on the side, but since this has a chance of making me money I thought I should cover my bases.

I'm not sure. I know people who work at studios have had items accepted into TF2 so at least at some studios it's acceptable. Might be best to just ask someone where you work.
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    is it possible to get the "sandbox" running without an dota 2 key..
    waiting for soo long to get a key, but i dont like to pay 30$ ..

// no begging.. just wanna model some things for the game ;)
  • BenHenry
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    This stuff looks great! keep et comin!
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Been trying to think of a symbol to put on the the shoulder and tail armor of my "Gaurdian of the Deeps" set for Slardar. I've done quite a bit of searching but can't really find anything appropriate. Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: Thought of something. Think I'll use something based off of Cthulu's mythos. Seems fitting as Slardar is a fairly dark hero mythos wise and he even has a voice line from the Necronomicon.
  • pear
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    Almost all rigged.Unwrapping soon.Im really happy with the result!(theres also a cape but its hidden)
    front.png
    back.png
  • TortillaChips
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    EDIT: Thought of something. Think I'll use something based off of Cthulu's mythos. Seems fitting as Slardar is a fairly dark hero mythos wise and he even has a voice line from the Necronomicon.

Good choice, I was thinking and could only come up with a trident. When stumped for ideas I found the character bio and trivia on the dota 2 wiki helpful.

Did the belt today, but these 2 wing-like things in the pubis section of the character were troublesome, so incorporated them into the belt. Then I touched them up a bit as well as the boots to fit the style a bit more. Hopefully if this set does find its way to the game it'll come as one set together, as I don't think anyone wants to pay for a small touch-up to the main character texture.

So here's the 'finished' set as a collection: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=76237352
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone have any info on the masks required? I've tried to make them but in Model Viewer it just makes my model show up black. When I use other models masks though it works fine.

EDIT: I've got them sort of working now... They light well but it completely destroys the diffuse.

EDIT2: Got it. The Mask1 needs to be green 255 on the diffuse and the Mask2 needs to be Blue 255.
  • aivanov
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Zip, what are you using to view the masks' shading? The Alien Swarm model viewer?

Reason I'm asking is because it even shows Valve's own materials and masks incorrectly on many of the heroes, so you may be simply compensating for using a non-Dota SDK and hence it may not look right in-game.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using the Alien Swarm model viewer and it seems to be working. The only part of Slardar's model that doesn't show up right is his hands. Otherwise everything seems fine.
  • pear
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    hey does anyone know where i can get the latest version of vtf edit and vtf plugin for photoshop , nem's tools's website is down. thanks!
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished and uploaded my Gaurdian of the Deeps set. Click the images to go to the workshop pages. Please vote them up!

gaurdian_helmet_01.jpg

gaurdian_shoulder_01.jpg

gaurdian_tail_01.jpg

gaurdian_trident_01.jpg

gaurdian_01.jpg

gaurdian_02.jpg
  • kwakkie
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    So is it possible to just photoshop an idea and valve will make the models? Half of the store is filled with photoshopped items and are getting the most votes?

Also, where can I find more info about the actual game, the website only leads to the store?
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    All of the concepts and google images on the workshop are either trolls or 13 year old kids who don't understand what the workshop is for. I'm quite sure Valve has never made a model based off of an image uploaded to the workshop. Any concept artist actually looking to get some items made usually looks around Polycount or Facepunch for an artist to create items based off of their concepts and then they'll split the sales.

Here's the Wiki on the game where you can find out pretty much anything you'd want to know.

http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Dota_2_Wiki
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    are there any restrictions, like max poly or texturespace ?
    Couldnt find anything on the valve page..

//Zipfinator looking good, but i think its too dark
    cant u bring some color on the fork ``?
  • kwakkie
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    All of the concepts and google images on the workshop are either trolls or 13 year old kids who don't understand what the workshop is for. I'm quite sure Valve has never made a model based off of an image uploaded to the workshop. Any concept artist actually looking to get some items made usually looks around Polycount or Facepunch for an artist to create items based off of their concepts and then they'll split the sales.

Here's the Wiki on the game where you can find out pretty much anything you'd want to know.

http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Dota_2_Wiki
    Ah ok cool thanks for the explanation! :) Yeah it's a shame valve isnt really curating any of the submissions so real models get a fair chance. So if I understand correctly the game isnt released yet, or in a closed beta? I can only find the same screenshots that were 'leaked' half a year ago? If not they need to slap some marketing people around haha never had that much trouble actually finding any info about a game let alone where/when I can buy it!
  • TortillaChips
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it's quite closed and underhyped if I'm honest. You can buy an invite instore which comes with a bunch of common/uncommon/rare items (or the equivalent names) for I think £24 ($40?). OR you can find someone to trade an invite with, the trading will differ every day I imagine but I traded 2 treasure keys bought from the dota2 store for an invite, which came to £3.18. So it can take some finding, but you can get it for cheaper. (Try this http://www.reddit.com/r/Dota2Trade/)

Also, I've just been putting off the idea of the mask textures since there wasn't much information about them, however discovering this thread: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/discussion/900965776457485644/?appid=570 I think I've got a fair bit of work to do on my submitted items.

@alpha - No official numbers, but it's been said up to 500 tris for an item, and you want an LOD of that model with up to 250 tris, but it varies on what the item is. As for textures, I'd say 256x256, or 128 if it's a small one. For QoP they've used a 512x512 which covers her whole main body, then 256s for the hair, shoulders and wings. Best to just compare what you're making to what numbers the character has.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it's quite closed and underhyped if I'm honest. You can buy an invite instore which comes with a bunch of common/uncommon/rare items (or the equivalent names) for I think £24 ($40?). OR you can find someone to trade an invite with, the trading will differ every day I imagine but I traded 2 treasure keys bought from the dota2 store for an invite, which came to £3.18. So it can take some finding, but you can get it for cheaper. (Try this http://www.reddit.com/r/Dota2Trade/)

Also, I've just been putting off the idea of the mask textures since there wasn't much information about them, however discovering this thread: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/discussion/900965776457485644/?appid=570 I think I've got a fair bit of work to do on my submitted items.

@alpha - No official numbers, but it's been said up to 500 tris for an item, and you want an LOD of that model with up to 250 tris, but it varies on what the item is. As for textures, I'd say 256x256, or 128 if it's a small one. For QoP they've used a 512x512 which covers her whole main body, then 256s for the hair, shoulders and wings. Best to just compare what you're making to what numbers the character has.

Thanks for that link. I just winged those mask textures until I got it to look acceptable. I'll go back over them tomorrow and do them correctly.

EDIT: Here's a link to a post with a lot of info on how to properly compile your items. I need to go back over my entire set and do some texture optimizations and recompile them now. Dern.
  • TortillaChips
    Offline / Send Message
    EDIT: Here's a link to a post with a lot of info on how to properly compile your items. I need to go back over my entire set and do some texture optimizations and recompile them now. Dern.

Oh, that's not good. So no smoothing groups, and the texture limit =s.
    Items and hero textures should all add up to 1024x512 or less
    Queen of Pain is 512x512 and 4x 256x256 (hair, shoulders, wings, weapon) already, so I don't actually have any spare texture space.
  • TortillaChips
    Offline / Send Message
    Just going to double post here, I know a lot of people have asked about limits in this thread and not everyone will go to all the links posted, but there ARE limits and it's important that you stick to them, so you don't end up having to go back to change things >_>
    YOU MUST BUILD WITHIN THE COMBINER'S BUDGET TO SHOW UP IN-GAME. Can't stress that enough. Everything must stay within the 1024x512 final texture, lower than 7000 tris total for LOD0 and 3000 tris total for LOD1 or the combiner will toss it.
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    @ all
    here another tutorial side.. maybe we can put
    it on the firstpage ...
    http://wyksblog.com/getting-started-dota-2-cosmetics/
  • aivanov
    Offline / Send Message
    Zip, any snags/hints on the texture masks that we should know about?

I'm about to start texturing my stuff and really don't want to spend the customary 'learn Valve's tools' day just fiddling with the masks.

Also, I feel you need to either add some lighting to your Slardar set or otherwise brighten the colors. As it looks somewhat muddled together when viewed from far away. Get some contrast in there to help sell your normals and separate the plates.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Whoa, Whoa, that budget. Enchantress' base model is 6,600 tri polys! That means my helmet is gonna have to shrink to less than 400 tris and I can't add anything else!

Checking the polycounts, Enchantress with my helmet barely scratches the budget limit and is at 6,920 polys.
  • Mark.N
    @Zip - Looking good so far, diggin' the C'Thulu-esque emblem. One thing I would work on though are the textures; they look like they could use a bit more color variation and fatigue (Perhaps try splotching in some of the aqua green from his lower jaw and just have the metal showing more signs of corrosion). After all, Slardar does come from the depths and last I checked salt water and metal don't exactly get along too well.

Definitely a great look for him though!
  • Mathinus
    Is there a way to test item ingame, if yes is it possible for not yet workshop ready heroes like Dazzle? I'm asking because I'm trying to make masks atm and it looks like Alien Swarm SDK have some problems with them.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alpha, that tutorial has a bit of misinformation and doesn't go over much that isn't covered already (Decompiling, importing SMDs to Max, basic artist tips like gathering reference).

@Aivanov, that link that we've posted above (And I've now pasted on the front page) goes over the masks and the 8 textures required in them.

@Mark, yeah a lot of the color was lost after I started messing around with the masks. After I redo the masks I'll see if there's enough color and if not I'll do another pass on the diffuses.
  • Rai
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Not sure if I should ask here or make a new thread, but is anyone else going to be in Seattle for the Dota2 International? - Got my tickets this morning! :D
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Went ahead and decided to upload it onto the Steam Workshop:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=76897916
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Hey guys. I'm pretty new here, and to 3D modelling, but I had to try my hand at modelling for dota 2.

paweap7.jpg

The texture is still extremely WIP, it's at the moment, base colours. The weird checker pattern comes from the VMT referencing non-existent masks, so it comes out funny in the model viewer.

Here's a wireframe of LOD 0: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2347130/dota2/paweap8.jpg

And LOD 1: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2347130/dota2/paweap9.jpg

Tricount at lod 0 is about 590 and lod 1 is about 480.

If you guys have any feedback, or maybe cool ideas for the texture, I'd love it :)
  • Sparr
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
    How would you go about making a courier?
  • OpethRockr55
    Making a courier is like making any other character, really. Same polycount restrictions as heroes, but keep everything in one texture for the sake of performance.

The only things really required are that you must make a flying variation as well, and must animate a run, an idle, and a death for each variation and a spawning animation for the grounded variant.
  • Sparr
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
    I wanted to make a horse-like courier, but I don't think I saw the original listed to use as a guide when I extracted the files. Am I missing something or is it not there?
  • aivanov
    Offline / Send Message
    Working away on textures, but not sure whether to use a bloodied variant or not:

i6R3WMKbHRAhm.jpg

There's little to no visual difference from top-down and thus I feel like the blood is adding needless complexity, but a clean variant clashes with Lifestealer's blood-soaked motif. Thoughts?
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    aivanov wrote: »
    Working away on textures, but not sure whether to use a bloodied variant or not:

---

There's little to no visual difference from top-down and thus I feel like the blood is adding needless complexity, but a clean variant clashes with Lifestealer's blood-soaked motif. Thoughts?

Keep the blood soaked texture. It keeps the models from looking basic/bland and fits his motif.
  • Tomm
    aivanov wrote: »

--

YES to blood! it blends nicely with his hands and looks better overall.
  • OpethRockr55
    Valve let us know that they posted some AMAZING art style hints and tutorials on the workshop. Check them out under the helpful links section down the page: http://www.dota2.com/workshop/
  • Swampsteel
    Hey all! Been lurking on this thread for a while, just created an account. I picked up modeling a couple of weeks ago with Blender and Photoshop. My ideas outweigh what I can do with Blender at the moment. Could I get your suggestions or critique of this spirit breaker heavy flail I have constructed? Is it worth working on textures?
    X2eWd.png
    zCnMZ.png
  • TortillaChips
    Offline / Send Message
    Swampsteel wrote: »
    Hey all! Been lurking on this thread for a while, just created an account. I picked up modeling a couple of weeks ago with Blender and Photoshop. My ideas outweigh what I can do with Blender at the moment. Could I get your suggestions or critique of this spirit breaker heavy flail I have constructed? Is it worth working on textures?

That looks like it's a crazy amount of textures, you can use that model to build your high poly, then do a low poly version of it. Then you can unwrap, bake a normal map and do textures.

I've almost finished, but I'm getting this weird checkered problem on my texture in Alien Swarm SDK, any suggestions?

asdsdsaasd.jpg

Edit: Nevermind fixed it. I thought putting a pattern in alpha of mask 1 would create a glow, but instead it just messed it all up.
  • Sparkwire
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
    animation progress on my courier
    runcycle_wip2.gif

I'm also available if you have any animation needs for dota2 in any way. :)
  • TortillaChips
    Offline / Send Message
  • Damytria
    Offline / Send Message
    Damytria polycounter lvl 7
    Sparkwire wrote: »
    runcycle_wip2.gif

Fucking amazing!
  • e-barron
    runcycle_wip2.gif

Awesome I love it!! :poly142:
  • Swampsteel
    Well, here's my finished spear up on the workshop:

Nice work, would get! So I would have to remake it completely? And any other suggestions or critique of design?
  • TortillaChips
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work, would get! So I would have to remake it completely? And any other suggestions or critique of design?

Kind of, the general steps are:

1. Base Mesh
    2. High Poly
    3. Retop (Make Low Poly)
    4. Unwrap Low Poly
    5. Bake Normal Maps, Ambient Occlusion, Lightmaps etc etc.
    6. Texture it
    7. Skin/Compile/Config stuff

So generally you do remake it yeah. Personally I wouldn't want to do a weapon with chains on, and I wouldn't advise it especially if it's going to be your first model.
  • Swampsteel
    yeah i ran into problems with chains, but I actually figured some good information out. This is first i've heard of retop, researching.... Thanks!
  • Sparkwire
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
    yeah i ran into problems with chains, but I actually figured some good information out. This is first i've heard of retop, researching.... Thanks!

this is how chains are done in dota2 typically:

BeAO
    BeAF
  • ScudzAlmighty
    runcycle_wip2.gif

yer skillz, they are mad.
    Mad I say!

MAAADDDDD!
  • Hazardous
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    I put those PDFs up on the front page Haz.

Anyone have any idea why the masks are turning my items black? I engineered them based off of looking at a few other items and I see no reason that it should turn my item black. I'm guessing a few of you have some more experience creating them and know some of the common causes of these problems.

EDIT: The Metalness map in the Blue Channel of Mask 1 was causing it. When it has anything other than pure black in it the entire item turns black... Think it's just a problem with the AS SDK?
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Anymore crits before I resubmit these to the workshop? I optimized them and they use about half the texture space now to fit the requirements. I still have some tweaks to do to the diffuses too.

slardar_gaurdian_wip_03.jpg

slardar_gaurdian_wip_04.jpg
  • TortillaChips
    Offline / Send Message
    Anymore crits before I resubmit these to the workshop?

It does look awesome Zip, the problem is can you see the detail when at Dota2 distance? It might need a bit of colour on the emblem depending, and maybe some baked shadow on the lower ends of the upper 3 spine pieces on the back. Spose it's just trial and error, you might even need some mossy stuff on it, the dota2 workshop seems hard to please :p