Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Or how about this?

Leagues/ teams can only submit their items directly to valve representitive. Valve either accepts or denies the items. If valve wants to see how the community feels. They (vavle) submit it into the workshop without having teams/league names on the item. Finally the last condition for the item to be be with the leaguer team is that it's not advertised anywhere else on the internet(finished product). A quick search on google can finish everything up in like a minute. If it is found being advertised, it is rejected.
  • SemiColonThree
    Hawkseye wrote: »

And good job calling people lazy communists just because they dont want the workshop to turn into a race of whoever can get the most advertisement by sharing revenue.

Isnt that what communism is tho? a communist country is basically a country that isnt a race....

I mean im not the only person who has this view...More than half of the people on this reddit post are actually bashing the op. http://en.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/1p9gle/why_dota_cimena_and_other_3rd_parties_should_stay/

Again you can have your views on it... whatever.... it doesnt make you any more correct or less correct than my beliefs. this is all a debate in the end... im all in for a democracy though.

and I have taken in criticism, and we are already working on refixing some issues w/ the sven set. Im happy to listen to criticism, as long as you are not an asshat about it... Primrose tried giving me some advice using words like fucking "abysmal" quality.. how the fuck am i suppose to react to this disrespect?
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    I'm sorry Semi, but as far as I can read there, most people are against this.
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edit: Whoops! Double post
  • Hawkseye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawkseye polycounter lvl 4
    Isnt that what communism is tho? a communist country is basically a country that isnt a race....

That may be true, but this is just the workshop, not a country.

There will always be 2 sides to it. The ones who are all for total freedom and you can do whatever you want and whatever is necessary to get ahead in the workshop, and the ones who defend what the workshop originally was and was supposed to be.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Or how about this?

Leagues/ teams can only submit their items directly to valve representitive. Valve either accepts or denies the items. If valve wants to see how the community feels. They (vavle) submit it into the workshop without having teams/league names on the item. Finally the last condition for the item to be be with the leaguer team is that it's not advertised anywhere else on the internet(finished product). A quick search on google can finish everything up in like a minute. If it is found being advertised, it is rejected.

You know I was just thinking about this today, I honestly feel if valve wants to continue to push third-parties in dota (and I hope they do) I'd like to see a second section or tab open up, decicated to just third-parties.
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So it's not really communism, if it's what is was originally, and you want to keep that, it will more be conservatism right? Since we're all up in this political ideology business.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    I mean im not the only person who has this view...More than half of the people on this reddit post are actually bashing the op. http://en.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/1p9gle/why_dota_cimena_and_other_3rd_parties_should_stay/

I don't see "more than half of the people" bashing the op, but even if that was true, how does this makes any of the discussion here different? People bashing OP on Reddit would suddenly change the opinion of the majority of users here? It sounds like a pretty childish excuse.

Anyway, all of this aside, I'm glad that you took criticism the right way and is changing stuff based on it. Even though I'm not really a fan of the whole thing, I think that the set have some serious potential, so good luck with everything!
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Hawkseye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawkseye polycounter lvl 4
    Simple changes to how the workshop works could fix everything. But things like the options to import and submit sets as a whole has been in demand for a long time now and valve has only made small changes to the workshop since it opened up.

I honestly dont even know if they care at all what happens in the workshop as long as they get enough items to put in the game.
  • SemiColonThree
    So it's not really communism, if it's what is was originally, and you want to keep that, it will more be conservatism right? Since we're all up in this political ideology business.

Look, even if you guys wanted to stop all this competitiveness. It still wouldn't happen.... just like how you cant stop an economy from existing... Lets say valve really does make some changes, there will always be a bunch of people out there who will try to find out ways to outshine each other.

its just a natural process of life, you can never get rid of it. people will find these nooks and crannys, eventually.

but a bunch of these communist countries have eventually converted to a democracy over the hundreds of years, because you know why??? a democracy is a the real way of how a population should function.
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    Honestly I wouldn't mind having third party sponsored sets advertised in a Banner similar to the way they are done in the DOTA 2 client. My assumption is, could be wrong, that the vast majority of these sets are included within the client anyway. With the obvious exceptions of some of the works from NaVi, I expect that working with a sponsor increases the chance of inclusion. In this way the Workshop is more of a further advertisement rather than an area for community voting. Especially in the case of Dota Cinema where the voting on the set was conducted outside of the workshop.

I think this speaks to the need for an overhaul of the workshop in general. I would love to see space for these "sponsored" sets but keep them from occupying such a large space on the front page.

qF3gMlb.jpg
  • quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    ...wow, this is one hell of a conversation ...
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    Still think that banner take too much space and put the focus away from the other submissions. A seperate tab would be better.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Hi guys!

i would not like to intervene on the discussion, mainly because i think discussing is always good, i just want to ask to keep the tone down and DO NOT act aggressively here, people should feel free to give their opinion without worrying of being harassed

Lets keep the discussions going, the main thread is amazing for that, but please, lets keep the environment as friendly as usual =]
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wings of Warrun
    8F65DF578B73CC1D22703F4B05EF01A8393C5FC5
    C278AD4E529EE7D4DBBA0BCDFD32C1A6FDB773E0
  • SemiColonThree
    Youve come a long way prosomogy, looking better and better and everyday.

Prosomogy wrote: »
    Wings of Warrun
    8F65DF578B73CC1D22703F4B05EF01A8393C5FC5
    C278AD4E529EE7D4DBBA0BCDFD32C1A6FDB773E0
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We never had the chance to post it in here but here is our second item for Nexon! Tusk's Glacial Shard! I think I can speak for everyone that worked on this that we are all very proud of how this item turned out. And doing new animations for Tusk was awesome!

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXvjpMPEVGo[/ame]
    WORKSHOP LINK

69858CFB376167BFD93D7848C6D6460459021A55
    Another brilliant illustration from Ouroboros

loadout_anim.gif
  • Zaphk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
    7thBattery: You're making some crazy hair styles! Love it x)
    AndrewHelenek: Ohhh this looks so good. Thumbsuped!
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    AndrewHelenek: Love it so much, turned out great!
    7thBattery:Love this hair style too!
    K-PAX: amazing set! I am almost embarrassed to upload my sword now, but I must get better... little by little... :poly136:
    Puppy: Very nice for a first set! Keep it up!

My second Dota submission, there were some wips posted :poly124:, must improve at making Dota items, I am really enjoying this compared to the TF2 items I submitted :poly142:
    SwordPromo1.jpg
    Links to workshop
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    We never had the chance to post it in here but here is our second item for Nexon! Tusk's Glacial Shard! I think I can speak for everyone that worked on this that we are all very proud of how this item turned out. And doing new animations for Tusk was awesome!

Top notch work guys, definitely taking it to the next level :)
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    like!
    Great work Helenek
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    but a bunch of these communist countries have eventually converted to a democracy over the hundreds of years, because you know why??? a democracy is a the real way of how a population should function.

brilliant ^^
  • kendmd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    @andrew Very nice work, you guys! Adding custom animations definitely gives it so much more!

Kinda late with this, but meh, I also wanna chime in with my opinion regarding the involvement of third parties in the workshop. I think getting partnered with a third party is completely fine since that's how it is in real life, although the quality of the items must also be super high (which I must say, I'm not a big fan of the DC's Sven set concept and execution wise, I can give a more detailed feedback later on, through PM if you want).

The concerns of all the artists here are also very valid. I would hate seeing the workshop as a big giant ad-filled monstrosity. A workshop overhaul is most definitely needed. Some of the suggestions here on how Valve can improve it are very good too (like adding a separate tab for third parties).

Lastly, I'm a believer that no matter what, a great item that conforms to the basic Dota style and is unique/innovative will definitely get a lot of votes and will most probably get in, it's just a matter of time. So all this rambling regarding sponsored items doesn't bother me that much. The penguin, beaver, and CK set (not sure how I feel regarding the QoP set, I think it's not as bad as some people claim) are just an outlier.
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, end of discussion for me too.

I apologize to :3 for putting him on the spot. I can't say I would have said "no" to DC either.

I would also say that for a few texture issues the set is still solid and has a good silhouette.

I just get more pissy in my old age. More resistant to change I guess.
  • Gamer_Alien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just a wake up call, but for those of you who are complaining about Dota Cinema, you are just lazy communist, and want the workshop to provide equal publicity even to the people who are not working hard enough to get it.

communist ? lol k ... The workshop doesnt provide publicity. 3rd party sites/people do. Anything getting u ppl to vote your item is publicity.
    You know, Dota Cinema didnt magically get 600k subscribers out of thin air. They put sweat and tears into earning it. and you know what? they do deserve to advertise their sets, because they have put in a lot of work to become sucessful in life. I mean come on, they even have a week dota 2 top 5 workshop week episode to help "YOU" guys out, and then you sit there fucking complaining, show some respect... Dota cinema has done A LOT for the dota community.

Dota cinema kinda DID get 600.000 subs because it was one of the first youtube channels on dota 2. I cannot judge about their "Hardwork and Sweat and tears", but their videos about the workshop are not charity.

dota cinema has done alot for the dota community ? good for them. No seriously, Koodos. Its not about dota cinema, its about a workshop mono-culture or monopoly. Its about equalizing the chances of an item getting in.
    Right now I can name some workshop artist who could probably compete w/ dota cinema's publicity.. such as kunkka (he got 23000 votes on his loadout screens), Anuxxi, Danidem, tvidotto, etc.....

The difference is : Great items form tvidotto or anuxi or someone else, which tend to be at the very least "Godlike", DESERVE THE VOTES. That sven set does not. Compare it with some of the great sets submitted ... they are on a seperate level, while this sven set is just your average submission.
    This is a democracy here folks, the people who work the hardest willl be rewarded the most.

Or just some people gradually obtain power over the system, or use their power to heavily influence it, and then they will benefit the most while the hardworking people disappear in their shadow.

Just take any random "democracy" (it has literally nothing to do with democracy, counter to communism is imperialism but whatever works for you) -> Look at economy -> Benefit from your newly gained world view.
    If you are worriedd about views, take some advice from Lennyagony.... create blogs, use social media to advertise your set...... eventually your name will grow to the point where you can get 10k+ votes on your own.

We do. i personally post on reddit (and get bashed... alot) and tell my friends on steam ... however there is an upper power cap that should be kept. No one should be able to stomp the workshop with a 600K subscriber hammer.
    but in all, from the fast few pages the only thing that is correct is what bounchfx said "combine collections into 1 item".. this will make everyone happier.

Agree.
  • SemiColonThree
    Tamarin wrote: »
    Yeah, end of discussion for me too.

I apologize to :3 for putting him on the spot. I can't say I would have said "no" to DC either.

I would also say that for a few texture issues the set is still solid and has a good silhouette.

I just get more pissy in my old age. More resistant to change I guess.

yea lets just put it behind us

The only important thing today, is how many Karma points u got from that reddit debate. U got like 1000?
  • foxclover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately, self posts don't give you karma at all. :(
  • SemiColonThree
    whut.. that doesnt make any sense.. whyynot?
    foxclover wrote: »
    Unfortunately, self posts don't give you karma at all. :(
  • alexxrafael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys. I'm making a set for morphling but i'm having some problems with mudbox. The normal map glitching and ambient occlusion doesn't recognize the light.

Ambient occlusion
    3DYNI6E.png?1

Normal map
    HDgB1Uz.jpg?1
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Hi guys. I'm making a set for morphling but i'm having some problems with mudbox. The normal map glitching and ambient occlusion doesn't recognize the light.

I don't use mudbox, but if I did I would not bake my normals in it. Bake in xNormal, or for really good results bake an object space normal in xNormal, and use handplane to render a normal just for the source engine, because at the end of the day that is what matters most, how it looks in game. Just use mudbox to make your high poly. Wasting time sorting out some mudbox stuff will result in you having a bad time.

Edit: Also use xNormal to bake your AO you will use for texturing.
  • SemiColonThree
    edit: im wrong

Ambient occlusion
    3DYNI6E.png?1

Normal map
    HDgB1Uz.jpg?1
  • PyK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyK
    I think this discussion of the workshop/organizations should be in a separate thread.
    But I think (because of this situation) that artists and organizations should no longer be able to submit their name on their products. Meaning they have to submit their work anonymously in the workshop just so people would vote based on quality.

Person submitself.

Hi ESP Dota 2 Cup admin here. It was brought to my attention that some polycountforum members were upset with the quality of the CK set. However, the CK set Borse was on page 2 of highest rated items all time and it was well presented so my untrained eye did not see anything particularly bad about it.
    However, we certainly want to work with high quality artists. From the top rated items all time, could you please point out the sets that so/don't deserve to get in?

Sry for typos I am on my phone.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    Friend of the West set in-engine:
    D2_BM_FOTW_Ingame.jpg
    D2_BM_FOTW_Portrait.jpg
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    That looks great! I love the headpiece, and I'm super happy to see Beastmaster get more attention.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone know why all of my imported Juggernaut items are offset by a small amount?

You can see the gap between his mask and his neck, and that his sword isn't held in his hand.

Everything's in perfect alignment with the decompiled SMD file :/

juggernaut_wip5.png
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Because the files in the requirements of page is outdated. Extract them from Dota 2 test.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have, it's aligned to the SMD from the decompiled MDL file.
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    First things i check when something like that happens are...
    Check the Pivot, and eventually align it to the original object
    Check that you have done a Reset Xform (if you use 3dsmax).
    As a last resort, create a new scene, and expor the files from there...for my PL spear it worked.
  • alexxrafael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 wrote: »
    I don't use mudbox, but if I did I would not bake my normals in it. Bake in xNormal, or for really good results bake an object space normal in xNormal, and use handplane to render a normal just for the source engine, because at the end of the day that is what matters most, how it looks in game. Just use mudbox to make your high poly. Wasting time sorting out some mudbox stuff will result in you having a bad time.

Edit: Also use xNormal to bake your AO you will use for texturing.

It worked, thanks
  • Robobobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robobobo polycounter lvl 6
    5135M.jpg
    GOGOGOGGO 2 fun games in EU :)
  • toby.rutter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toby.rutter polycounter lvl 7
    Hey friends quick WIP for a templar assassin set I'm dreaming up. Would love to hear what you all think

TA4.jpg
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    What's up with all of those cool custom avatars? I've been seeing more and more people with them around here every day, but never managed to ask anyone about them.

@toby.rutter

That TA is looking good :D Love the cloth, and the mask idea is pretty neat.
  • Vextrakt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt polycounter lvl 6
    Robobobo wrote: »
    5135M.jpg
    GOGOGOGGO 2 fun games in EU :)

That is one sad sad night stalker :(

@Toby.rutter - as belkun said, love the cloth :) good work
  • SemiColonThree
    solid flawless work my friend
    Hey friends quick WIP for a templar assassin set I'm dreaming up. Would love to hear what you all think

TA4.jpg
  • toby.rutter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toby.rutter polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks SemiColonThree, loving the Sven set btw
  • foxclover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toby.rutter: I don't think the design is far enough from TA's default design or other existing sets. The shoulders have a similar silhouette, where they're both assymetrical with one large, exaggerated side, with the other smaller side balanced by double layers. The waist wings look similar too. The hair looks close to the other combed updos in the game too

The pieces look very well modeled, but I think you could add something to spice it up a bit more and set it apart from the other sets for ta.
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18

TA4.jpg

Best design for TA that i've see till now...and very clean and nice execution...i can't wait to see the rest
  • SemiColonThree
    Safe isnt particularlly a bad a thing, it makes it much easier for Valve to accept because they dont have to worry about it breaking the game.

but if it does get accepted, it might not sell as much as you would think.

t
    foxclover wrote: »
    toby.rutter: I don't think the design is far enough from TA's default design or other existing sets. The shoulders have a similar silhouette, where they're both assymetrical with one large, exaggerated side, with the other smaller side balanced by double layers. The waist wings look similar too. The hair looks close to the other combed updos in the game too

The pieces look very well modeled, but I think you could add something to spice it up a bit more and set it apart from the other sets for ta.
  • Lachance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lachance polycounter lvl 5
    How can I tell if a character has Alpha allowed for his textures or not?