Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Prosomogy
  • stevoqwerty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I just finished my second set. I've only started to do 3D modelling last year so obviously not as good as most of you, but I think it looked awesome. Hope you like it too, special thanks to Anuxi and Vlad cause they inspired me to make awesome items. And if this set don't make it in, I'll keep trying till I ran out of cake :).
    3f2g.jpg
    edit: Oh and here's the link to my set
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=163244188
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    aivanov wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's called "every stroke was done in Zbrush" instead of PS. ; )

pretty much, but it takes WAY less painting that what i would usually do in photoshop as zbrush offers plenty of great brushes to kick in the detail needed, also a lot of baking voodoo going on ^^
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    Neox wrote: »
    pretty much, but it takes WAY less painting that what i would usually do in photoshop as zbrush offers plenty of great brushes to kick in the detail needed, also a lot of baking voodoo going on ^^

proceed... :)
  • stevoqwerty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    George2346 wrote: »
    I am making my first workshop item and have just started the textures. I wanted to see if i could get it into Dota which worked fine but when I test it in game it glows like this. Anyone tell me why??

W5Z5rIX.jpg
    Try to make mask1 as transparent as possible, the more solid the colour is the more glow it has.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try to make mask1 as transparent as possible, the more solid the colour is the more glow it has.

could even be the difference between a tga file saved in 24bit or 32bit. at least this caused some similar glow issues for me while working on a kunkka blade. mask1 and mask2 need to be 32bit tga files. color and normal better be 24bit. alpha channel and stuff
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Making Axe item from scratch, stream.
    Who wona see how i making dota 2 items, check my stream ;3
    http://www.twitch.tv/masternorma
  • Erni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! Made two concepts for warlock's golem. Can u give feedback?)
    k8MvVbN.jpg or V89OrFM.jpg
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Done hight poly model of axe weapon :)
    Fii9OGyIhhY.jpg
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    i like the silhouette, but must of those detais are just going to come out as noise.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    tumblr_mqgh6oB0un1r43xj0o1_1280.png
    The Ghost of Leragas
  • someguy216
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys quick question how often does valve add more hero models for item creation? or is it completley random?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    someguy216 wrote: »
    Hey guys quick question how often does valve add more hero models for item creation? or is it completley random?

It's pretty random. There's a handful of heroes who are broken down but not available to submit for yet like Earthshaker, Abbadon, and Treant.
  • Speedban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm new here, hi. It's the best place possible I could think of to find help.
    This is how my problem looks.
    gx3b.png
    First is the particles. I've been doing this Anti-Mage blade for quite some time and didn't find much help about particle placement and how it's mesh should look like. Like you can see it's out by 90 degrees.
    The other problem is the lightning. Can I somehow make it to light it as one single object too look more like Magina's blades ingame?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
    Edit
    Problems solved thanks to Vlad the Implyer :D
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    PSA: if you see these shady fellows in your game, disconnect immediately

THIS IS NOT A JOKE

3LhTz.png
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    tumblr_mqgh6oB0un1r43xj0o1_1280.png
    The Ghost of Leragas

Looking awesome! Really solid!
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Never EVER play with Danidem! Especially not when he picks Meepo and I pick Troll, then the game is over in <20minutes :P
  • Esaxil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, then i did good going to bed not joining party :DD
  • Maks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maks polycounter lvl 14
    Our first Set is in the Workshop.

Feel free to vote the items :poly131:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=163591754

drow_artwork2.jpg

drow_02.jpg
    drow_03.jpg

drow_04.jpg

drow_05.jpg

drow_06.jpg

drow_07.jpg

drow_08.jpg
  • Tomus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomus polycounter lvl 5
    Maks wrote: »
    Our first Set is in the Workshop.

High quality as usual, but im not surprised that you got stomped by comunity with those ears. The second headgear looks fine though. I wonder how would this set look if you change the pinkish tint to Traxex's light blue.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Kawaii as fuck, indeed.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Really nice Maks, but those ears.. really jarring plus it kinda changes her vibe to a furry type thing.. if that's what you're going for thats fine, but they pop so abruptly from her hair. I really like the rest of the set a lot.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @Maks Some people just tend to hate new things no matter what. I saw things more outside of lore/color scheme/game style that were getting accepted in the end. Your idea is fresh and well made. One thing that you could have done is to explain your decision process in items description or made a thread at reddit for example about it so people would know the intentions behind the design.
    Anyway you have an upvote from me :)
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Konras wrote: »
    @Maks Some people just tend to hate new things no matter what. I saw things more outside of lore/color scheme/game style that were getting accepted in the end. Your idea is fresh and well made. One thing that you could have done is to explain your decision process in items description or made a thread at reddit for example about it so people would know the intentions behind the design.
    Anyway you have an upvote from me :)

thats what we always try to do with the backstory, people don't tend to read this that much :/

vlad thanks a lot, nice move from a fellow artist, especially the point about breaking the colorscheme, which you seem to be allowed to do, on many many items. And i think this is great and not a bad idea at all, if well executed and well readable from the game distance.
    So why would i go into the workshop head into your pieces and craptalk on them? Really nice move, really really nice.
  • Chemical Alia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
    A cosmetic set should communicate its idea clearly by the visuals alone, and not have to rely on a paragraphs-long back story to clarify what is actually going on. Writing lore shouldn't even be necessary for a concept to work.

Honestly, what immediately came to mind when I saw the set was that this is a deliberate appeal to weeaboos with an overt kawaii animu uguu nekochan catgirl theme, which arguably has little place in Dota 2. That imagery is very strong (especially with all the pink); I personally wouldn't have made a connection to Luna's cat in a million years just by looking at it. This is the kind of stuff that the fans of the game are super serious about, so how they react to idea is definitely something to pay attention to and consider.

Also, by "killing off" someone else's character, you're going to run into a lot of people who are very emotional about their waifus and what you do to them. (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧*:・゚✧
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    A cosmetic set should communicate its idea clearly by the visuals alone, and not have to rely on a paragraphs-long back story to clarify what is actually going on. Writing lore shouldn't even be necessary for a concept to work.

Honestly, what immediately came to mind when I saw the set was that this is a deliberate appeal to weeaboos with an overt kawaii animu uguu nekochan catgirl theme, which arguably has little place in Dota 2. That imagery is very strong (especially with all the pink); I personally wouldn't have made a connection to Luna's cat in a million years just by looking at it. This is the kind of stuff that the fans of the game are super serious about, so how they react to idea is definitely something to pay attention to and consider.

Also, by "killing off" someone else's character, you're going to run into a lot of people who are very emotional about their waifus and what you do to them. (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

I have to agree with everyone else concerning the cat girl thing. The concept could be reworked to come across as 'Drow killed a cat and wears its remains as a trophy' without having to wear the ears. Since Drow has a hood as a default I think the better way to show this concept off as a 'trophy' would have her wear the cat's pelt over her head like a hood. Then have the cape be the rest of the pelt.
  • Hellmouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellmouth polycounter lvl 11
    Don't say I didn't warn you.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Sukotto wrote: »
    I have to agree with everyone else concerning the cat girl thing. The concept could be reworked to come across as 'Drow killed a cat and wears its remains as a trophy' without having to wear the ears. Since Drow has a hood as a default I think the better way to show this concept off as a 'trophy' would have her wear the cat's pelt over her head like a hood. Then have the cape be the rest of the pelt.

the problem with another hood was, that it was just another hood, we tried that with the skinned head, or stuffed head, as it's the most obvious choice. but it didn't read well from the games distance, so it was just another black hood with slightly odd shape. However we changed the weight of the set more towards the jawbone piece with fangs and kept the ears as the alt headpiece.
    I#D redo the turnarounds but that would mean to change the asset entirely, it was never made to be seen from this close, it works great ingame and modelviewer but doesn't hold up for a HD video.
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Remaked high poly model =\ 3.5kk polys =\ so many details what i think will be good look like in game =\ 5 hours remaked it =\
    HaL95T4lVWo.jpg
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i am sorry, but i dont see no difference
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    Neox wrote: »
    the problem with another hood was, that it was just another hood, we tried that with the skinned head, or stuffed head, as it's the most obvious choice.

The hair alone would've looked great.

As said, those ears don't make much sense for anyone that isn't trying to look cute, thus the backlash.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Prosomogy wrote: »
    Remaked high poly model =\ 3.5kk polys =\ so many details what i think will be good look like in game =\ 5 hours remaked it =\

could you post the wire?

we can suggest some changes to get a lower polycount result
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    could you post the wire?

we can suggest some changes to get a lower polycount result
    QwzQ7H2jd9M.jpg
    aPgaTjLUu6c.jpg
    Also wona ask something...
    I get problem whis Test textures whan baked maps, how can i fix it? whis photoshop brush its so hard and long ^_^
    gJy9SQDKZLA.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    are you sure this one have 3,5k polis?

btw, try to avoid polygons with more then 4 sides

---

guys, i listing all the usefull links and videos for the dota 2 workshop production. if you guys have any suggestion please let me know on the thread

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123800
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like you've got plenty of spaces to continue reducing. often just turning n-gons into quads will cut the tri count, as the software might not be triangulating those faces in the most optimal way.

the grips on the handle don't necessarily need geometry - and can probably be baked down. the edges across the lower portion of the blades can get cut...you could definitely get it lower fairly easily.
  • fICHTARRR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I tried to fit Bristleback in the uniform of a nightwatchman. The clothes are not made for his physique but here it is:
    6vTZtJf.jpg
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=163764936
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That has to be my favorite bristleback set yet. I'm kind of struggling with the candle on the arm, and the colors may be a little heavy on the dark gray...but it's awesome.
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make test in game whis my weapon. Not fix yet problem whis textures. And on photo test textures, so ;3
    reverendK i will try make something, ty =3
    cQxsqgvMViU.jpg
  • Speedban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Big thanks to Vladimir The Implyer for all the help he gave me. My first fully made item and posted to workshop.
    Blades of Shattered Crystals
    2gz0.png
    30h.png
    s4qh.png

Any criticism and help is welcome. Well I have high hopes and will definitely continue to try to make more and improve. Check it out on steam workshop :)
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198033182265/myworkshopfiles/?570
  • stevoqwerty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, which colour scheme looks better for this set? The gold/green one is more eye cathcing but abit generic, and the silver/blue one is more unique but some people thought it was a bit bland.
    y5yp.jpg
    n5ea.jpg
    So what do you guys think? The link to the set is here http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=163244188
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    Both versions looks somewhat detached from the character, at least the golden one stick to the color scheme better.

Don't get me wrong, I like it, but I feel you could add some element to balance the homogeneous tone of the armor, something to hold it together, if the poly budget permits.
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    Why did this take me so long?!
    aBQZJuP.jpg

Also, is anyone having any issues uploading their marketing images to the workshop. Steam doesn't want to upload my items if I have an attached .PSD
  • stevoqwerty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus wrote: »
    Both versions looks somewhat detached from the character, at least the golden one stick to the color scheme better.

Don't get me wrong, I like it, but I feel you could add some element to balance the homogeneous tone of the armor, something to hold it together, if the poly budget permits.

You may be right, I'll see if I can add another colour inbetween to make it better.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    fICHTARR: That set looks awesome, really love the flail and the wrist candle!
    Speedban: Congrats on your first item, looks pretty neat!
    Hudston: Haha FINALLY finished! I think it was for the better, I like the design of this set compared to the original.

And here's what I'm working on. I thought it was odd that no one has taken advantage of Sven's mysterious origins for items, nothing that hints at his mer-people blood. So here's the high poly for Sven's Ceremonial Meranthic Sword. Still a bit of cleanup but done for the most part.
    sword1.jpg
  • Prosomogy
  • stevoqwerty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I've made anothe colour scheme for my set. It's a combination of V1 and V2.
    hlzx.jpg
    I think it looked more varied and better, but what do you guys think?
  • Speedban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seems a lot like V2 to me. Can't spot the difference. Overall v2/v3 looks better to me than v1.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    As long as it has the gold trim it's way better looking than V1, big improvement.

Now I'd say you should maybe work on the shape of the bottom edge of the front of the helmet that is seen in the portrait (pro description). It seems really big and chunky and not that interesting. If you just made it more curvy rather than angular I think it would help. I really like the head piece other than the portrait view.
  • gechbal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gechbal polycounter lvl 6
    Hi its the first time for me making items for dota 2, I've made a sword for doom,
    I Imported dooms original weapon fbx and then exported my rigged weapon as an fbx as well, tough when I import in dota 2 the sacle is always of or it has a wierd position, anyone got any tips or can point me in the right direction ?
    thanks