Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dirty Tex

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
Hey all,

This is going to end up being a pretty lengthy thread. I'm going to show you WIPs as I work on it until I get my final version.

Project Goal: Make a character around 10k triangles with a normal, diffuse, and spec map and put him in the Unreal engine.

Right now he's at 25k triangles because I'm building his mesh for Zbrush.

Critiques are always welcome :)

dirtyTexWIP01.jpg

dirtyTexSilhouettes.jpg

gun.jpg

dirtyTexBootsWIP.jpg

gun02.jpg

dirtyTexHeadWIP01.jpg

Replies

• fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    SWEET start....no crits so far....will watch thread.
  • kodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arms look a little janky to me and seated a little bit too low on the shoulders.

and make those lower legs a size longer!

otherwise lovin the design and silhouette
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Looking good so far. It definitely has a ton of character.

Just an idea, but seeing how everything else is exaggerated except the hat, why not exaggerate the hat?
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodiak: Could you elaborate on your definition of "janky"?

brandoom: As for exaggerating the hat, should I make it bigger or smaller?
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    i'd approach the hat the same EXACT way you did w/the boots. curvy....twisted.....like the face. little bit bigger for sure. that would add a ton of balance to the whole thing i think.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^^ what fritz said.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome style! Keep it up :thumbup:
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will do, thanks for the info :)
  • krysar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great character. keep working :thumbup:
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some significant reworking on the pistol and built the entire thing to smooth. I figure that'd make it easier to bake its normal map.

I also added subdivisions on everything to prep for Zbrush work. Adjust the belts to fit tighter, added the rounds on one of the belts, made the holster, made the hat bigger, and several other small things here and there.

dirtyTexSilhouettes02.jpg

gun03.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hah, I really like this guy :)
    The massive gun is awesome too. Keep it up, I wanna see it finished!
  • madspacemarinemustdie
    This guy can touch his knees while standing straight.

Cool guy, I would play a Third person shooter with him as a main character.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    His arms are so long that he would have trouble taking out his guns :O.

The rest of him seems good but the arms just ruin it for me :\.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Looks sweet.
    Would like to see some sharp creases in the sculpt though!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the compliments and critiques everyone!

MoP: I see your resume states you did some work for Liquid. Their studio is literally a 5 minute bike ride from where I live :)

Muzz: He probably wouldn't, actually. With normal arms we can reach all the way up to our armpits with little difficulty. Due to the fact his arms are proportional (albeit long), he can reach his armpit just as easily as we can, therefore should have no difficulty reaching his gun.

Of course, this matter could revolve more around the size of the gun and its holster relative to the character... but I really don't care because he is not supposed to make sense ;). I was hoping people would be able to make the association of the stylization and lack of need for realistic situations.

butt_sahib: I received a crit like this a few weeks ago, so I will definitely incorporate some strong creases in key areas in my sculpt :)
  • Warhamster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, i really like the giant bullets! =D
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I dont mean to make his arms normal size as that wouldnt look right, just scale them down a bit. Currently the extreemly long length breaks the rhythm of the character.

tex.jpg
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh.. I see what you're saying. It does look a little better. I will go in and see what I can edit to hit a middle ground.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update! The character is coming to a close. I got all of my sculpting done and now I'm moving into low-poly correctional modeling.

I'll post the body sculpt in a bit.

What's funny is he turned out a little like Bruce Willis :)

dirtyTexHeadWIP02-1.jpg
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some body shots. I had some symmetry issues on one of the belts so that's why one of them is half grayed out. It'll be fixed because the belts are symmetrical so I'll just duplicate the normal map texture over in Photoshop.

Anyways, this picture is huge but it shows off a lot.

Comments and critiques are always open, as per usual :)!

dirtyTex_zbrushing01.jpg
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    I'd like to see spurs on the boots
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funny you mention that. He already does.

I haven't posted up the low-poly mesh in a while, there have been a few changes since the one in here. I will show the low poly again after corrective modeling from the new level 1 subdiv from Zbrush.
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    Seems like the villain in a bugs bunny show. I love the look, it's got a perfect caricature look.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elmer Fudd.....? Seriously?

ElmerFudd2.jpg
  • Warhamster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First off, this concept is freaking amazing. Seeing this character from the birth of the concept till now is awesome. I love the detailing on the leather belts and the use of creases. The one thing that i can say right now is that the inner shirt seems a little vague. I would like to be able to look at it and know exactly what material and style of shirt it is, like i can with the rest of his clothes. Perhaps a loose-ish turtle neck? :)
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nicely done Haiasi. Really coming together nicely. The hat is looking very nice now. I like how you've pulled it down over his eyes. Gives him a lot of character. I think his collar could use a few wrinkles, right now it looks pretty solid.

Just a suggestion, how about a cigarette or a piece of straw?

Also, how about a side view of the head.

Great work so far!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the critiques Brandoom and Warhamster. I'll see if I can edit the undershirt in the texture. I would have loved to make a white under-T but I don't think they had those back in the 1800s.

As for accessories, I was planning on having a cigarette or a fatty cigar in his mouth :)

Also.... there should be a side view of the head available... try refreshing the thread, Brandoom. I actually updated the image.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the final low-poly silhouette.

I managed to cut him down to 13.5k triangles... but it's damn hard with so many small accessories. I believe if I want to hit a 10k limit I need to choose a project with less small pieces.

dirtyTexSilhouettes03.jpg
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NORMAL MAPPING!!

I will post more tomorrow. I just put in a full 13 hours on this mofo today from 2pm to now.

I barely ate today and I feel like I'm about to collapse from sleep necessities.

must... sleep...

more tomorrow

oh and the tri count is high because I just slapped in some sphere primitives for his eyes before I took a screengrab.

bed time.

dTex_headNormMap01.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Look at dat face! Awesome.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • Rens
  • SiegeEvans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love it! Has a lot of personality.
  • Famouz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Famouz polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah a very cool guy!
    I like his hat!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, all four of you :)

I am now well rested (albeit hungry) and ready for more ass kicking today. I'll post up some full screen grabs of him once I bake the normals on his gun and place all the bullets into their slots on his belts :)
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are shots of the full body normal mapped. The gun and bullets are not normal mapped because I'm dealing with some hardcore cylindrical issues that I'm sure you pros know about with normal maps.

I am baking my normal maps in Maya so the tutorial on Poop's website does not apply. I have also watched the .SWF file that's like 1.05MB by some guy talking about fixing cylindrical issues in Maya but still to no avail.

I will be posting a serious thread aboot it in Technical soon, right now I just have to move forward because the project is due tomorrow so I need to prepare a turn table for it.

I will continue to texture and badass-erize him to make him full portfolio material.

The screen grabs are from Maya viewport, so I have no AA like Max does so some details will appear grainy from far away. I will be in a Maya to Max crash course class next term so I'm excited for that.

dTex_fullNorm01.jpg
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a silhouette turn-around for you guys. It's only about 8MB so it should take less than a minute to download.

spinImage.jpg
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm lame and i dont read every post, so i dont know if this has been addressed or not, but the razor sharp cheekbone is probably the only weak part of this entire model. Everything else in the low poly model looks super kickass.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you achillesian. Problem fixed:

dTex_headNormMap01-1.jpg
  • Warhamster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rawr, sexy. You never did change that inner shirt ;). Looks great though, good job.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had a full round of critiques today and I actually never had anyone mention anything about either of the shirts... so I'm wondering if I really need to remodel, bake, and unwrap a new shirt.

I'm a bit beyond the point of return and it'd take a lot of time to fix it.

• Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    i like it a lot, the added geometry on the cheek bone really improved the face as well.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Haiasi. Iam super stoked to see that your posting this character up. He is after, genius!

Whats your plan of attack now? I think you should really take care of those six sided polygons before you dive into the texuturing. Other than that I think its looking great dude.

I cant wait to see you texture this guy, as your painting skills are out of this world.:thumbup::thumbup:
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Mike :)

Yeah, I will definitely be editing his mesh on his back because a 6-sided pole with two 5-sided polies is pretty bad topology. Shame on me for not seeing it earlier :p

After fixing his mesh I am going to do some work on the gun because I was having issues baking normal maps. Cylindrical shapes and normal maps in Maya aren't on good terms with each other so I had to post a thread up in technical to figure out my issue.

But! I believe I have it figured out now thanks to some brain geniuses around this forum.

After baking my normals for the gun I'm going straight into texturing. I was really hoping to get a copy of Bodypaint so I could teach myself the program because it seems pretty damn useful. If I can't manage that I'll try out CS4's new 3D painting.

I'm trying to get this project wrapped up before Blizzard opens up the applications to Summer 2010 interns ;)
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick bump here. I will be picking up this project again now that I'm on winter break and have my other projects squared away. Dirty Tex is now #1 priority on what to finish.

I'm bumping to see if there are any additional critiques on where he's at right now before continuing.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Wow really glad you bumped this, great character no crits so far, love to see how he ends up!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    when I look at this I can't help but feel that the big chunky gun looks out of place.

A thin spindly gun would suit him much better, balance and all that.
  • flow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flow3d polycounter lvl 18
    Im digging the topology on the back of his shoulders, some tasty deformations right there.

funny how you depend on backfaces, like having all those borderedges at the top of the shooes and the holster.. we sure thats ok? ;D .. I dunno, whatever..

gonna guess the inside of his mouth is not there? it all just ends at the lips huh?
    no cool clint eastwood lipsync animations to be seen in the future? :/
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This project's target is to be put in Marmoset, which can take care of backfaces. It is bad practice, most definitely. Future projects will have this taken into account.

As for the design of the ridiculously massive gun, I believe that's a bit subjective. I personally find it hilarious that someone so spindly would use something so ridiculous. I don't want this character to make sense. I suppose it would make sense that when I had originally thought of this character, I was expecting his weapon to destroy parts of buildings by shooting it.

Maybe one thing that makes it seem a bit too ridiculous is that he's holding it with one hand. Having him wield it with both hands and preparing for the kickback of that beast may help.
  • LlamaJuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaJuice polycounter lvl 11
    I'm gunna have to agree with the size of the gun being just a little bit overly ridiculous.

Is it the same length as his torso? Overall the piece looks amazing, but the size of that gun really really throws it off to me.

Other than that though this piece looks amazing, i can't wait to see it textured :D