shouldn't this be in 'technical talk'?
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    look for a place that has a lot of girls working there, and apply for a part time position. Try walmart. That's what my friend john did. His only goal was to fuck as many women, of whatever quality, he could. He would basically walk over to the beer section and steal a six, sneak it back to the deli, hide in the freezer and down the six, and then spend the rest of his shift hitting on the fly deli bitches.

he made it to number 25, and you can too.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    to go along with dolemite.... my brother met his wife at la vie en rose. a womans lingerie store... he was the only guy working there.

maybe they`re on to something?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    dolemite wrote: »
    and then spend the rest of his shift hitting on the fly deli bitches.

Bwahahahaa!

Brilliant.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Muzz wrote: »
    Me and a friend were sitting in the mall sketching people once, and this dude, looked middle eastern noticed my friend was drawing him so he comes over, looks at the drawing then points at the page and exclaims "YOU'RE DRAWING ME!, your bloody drawing me". Me and this other guy are just sitting there bewildered and not sure what to do, he then starts exclaiming to everyone around us that we were drawing them, noone seemed to care. He then told my friend to erase the drawing, but it was in pen and he refused anyway. It gets so bad that he eventually calls over the mall guards, and they have no idea what the hell to do. Finally my mate tore the drawing out of his sketchbook and handed it to the man and he tore it up and threw it in his face and stormed off....

So no not everyone likes getting drawn and its not really a problem of it being a bad drawing of him as the dude is one of australias top concept artists...

My problem with women is that im too picky, and all the ones i do like already are taken, and im not the sort of dude to go after a woman already with a man as if they are willing to leave somone for you, there is always the chance that they will leave you for somone else.

Oh and i have trouble relying on people, that probably has to be a big part of it.

they can't do anything about it... with photographs its different, but ever asked why on some trials (dunno the word, when you are at court) no photos are shot but there is always someone painting that stuff? because drawing/painting is not considred as breaking any personal rights... damn i could describe it better in german... the conclusion, you have all the rights to draw people when you want to but you are not allowed to photograph them if you didn't ask them before and have their permission
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    lol because it's ridiculous.

Here we can easily extrapolate your idea further.

Darfurian war orphans starve....

ah Common Poop, give me a break man. You're watching ONE SINGLE thought process that I'm using in ONE context and making this massive generalization that i use that process in EVERYTHING that i do. you don't like it because it smells like bullshit that you've heard before from people who use that process out of context.. and i happen to agree with you in the context you gave -- that process doesn't apply.

that being said, there's a time and a place for everything. yes, if you're black and you're living in an entire world filled with KKK, fine, then you might have something to complain about, but i'm quite sure that isn't Oxy's situation. We live in a culture of total fucking abundance. if you're going without love in your life it's because you've got a shitty internal map about how to get that love.

So yeah, I won't reduce externals to internals -- don't do the opposite....

Sorry 8ft spider, i wanted to reply, but i wont, cuz I'm tired of writing walls of text. I will say that if that was true, people wouldn't enter abusive relationships.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    if you're going without love in your life it's because you've got a shitty internal map about how to get that love.

really?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Ferg wrote: »
    really?

Apparently!
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I had no idea... I'm gonna have to take a serious look at my internal map
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    for the most part!

don't just be cute, give me a counter-example, you boobies.

Ferg -- that's a good idea.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Ferg wrote: »
    Having a significant other significantly reduces your personal freedom. Not in a bad way, if you're in a place in life where you're ok with that. I like not having to coordinate my schedule with anyone. It also makes it a lot more difficult to flirt with girls at bars and coffee shops, etc.

Also, I've found you're much more likely to meet someone when you're NOT looking. Do you really want your girlfriend to be attracted to the "looking to get hooked up" version of yourself, or the normal you?

Chicks are crazy anyway.

EXACTLY. It's funny how people give the single life this negative stigma, like you need to find your 'second half' or such bullshit indicating that one's life is not 'whole' or 'complete' without your 'soul mate'. When it comes down to it, do what makes you happy in life, and it's ignorant to think no one can find 'true happiness' without that 'special someone'. This sentiment seems to extend from older traditions in small communities where you were considered weird (or in the case of women, an old maid) if you weren't married before a certain age by the community, and the fact that this feeling of social pressure to 'settle down' persists is hilarious, especially in the US where divorce is a huge industry and more than half of marriages fail.

I'm not putting down anyone who leads a happy marriage or monogamous relationship, if that's what makes you happy, right on! But to those folks that are single, I encourage you to not stress over being single, enjoy the hell out of your free time, and when you are interested in a date, don't get so insanely stressed about it, just meet the person for a nice chat over drinks and/or food, and don't have any expectations beyond a pleasant conversation. If you're desperate, stressed or self-conscious most people will pick up on that and it is a turn off.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well finding a perfect soulmate is one thing,
    but i think alot of people are also searching between not having anything, to that one girl.
    more along the line of having some female company, or atleast the option, just having fun.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    Smart man Vail, id say you hit it closest to the truth.

Clearly, our industry isnt taking home the prize for gender balance. You gotta get out and doing things that even it out a bit. Shows and bars are fine, but honestly, not the best place to meet people especially in the city (girls come armored, standard). Unless you're the type A steal the spotlight type, in which case, the floor is yours!

I met my last girlfriend at an under 30s meditation class. I went cause of an interest in meditation, but that place was a goldmine! NEVER go to stuff like this just to pick up though...girls will smell it a mile away, and everyone else will think you're a douche.

Also, try yoga, if you're man enough...
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with ChaosEidolon; find some stuff you may be interested in doing for yourself, but where there's femmes about, as well :P Look into like salsa classes, yoga, meditation, even volunteer stuff. Something you're interested in but maybe you've just never tried, and you'll meet new people :D
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    In addition, after reading so many comments on this thread, you can try treating women like they're people too.

I thought I was misogynous before coming in this thread, but some of the comments take it to a whole new level.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Sorry 8ft spider, i wanted to reply, but i wont, cuz I'm tired of writing walls of text. I will say that if that was true, people wouldn't enter abusive relationships.

Man, I honestly have no clue what you are talking about half of the time. I think I smell what you're cooking, and my rebuttal is those people may or may not have been abusive at the start of the relationship, and therefore may or may not have been 'being themselves', noone can speak for every cicumstance. But in most of the cases I have been aware of they did not start off being abusive (i.e. they weren't 'being themself'), which is the whole point of what I was trying to say.

Go into a relationship being someone you're not if who you are is a benign nerdy type, and it's bad for you.

Go into a relationship being someone you're not when you're a wretched fuck, and it's bad for others.

You dig?

In short, being yourself is good, but don't expect to land the honeys if 'yourself' is a pile of crap (unless that's the lady's 'thing').
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    In addition, after reading so many comments on this thread, you can try treating women like they're people too.

Geezus, no kidding.

Rule one, gotta be happy with yourself before you can date others. That's where the confidence that people find attractive comes from. Once you have that, you'll see it's no big deal to just go up to someone that you find interesting or attractive and talk to them like any other mature human being.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    thinking alot of it might be some of you looks and act like complete nerds. I really don't know what the problem is with the dating thing. Unless youre completely shy or butt ugly, talking to a girl and getting a date isn't that hard. Finding a good date is a completely different story.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Being a female looking at this thread, this reiterates my idea that I might need to bring pepper spray on the job if I ever get hired in the industry...

Er, I mean, certainly no one here has strongly repressed testosterone-related emotions :D

Anyway, in realtion to the thread, I've come to realize that I'm single basically because I've put myself there. I don't go out often enough to meet people, and really just am not trying that hard to find someone. It could be great if I did, but I'm working hard at not relying on anyone else for my own happiness and completeness.
    Oh, and I totally agree with other people that have said confidence and being yourself are always key, very true :)
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you better watch out! its a jungle out there!
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    boy is she in for a surprise / shock . haha.
  • Elhrrah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elhrrah polycounter lvl 8
    For me, I think it is a matter of my preferences conflicting with my area. The average college has a larger population than my entire county, and, to put it politely, the levels of genetic variance are low enough to cause significant concern.

That, and the fact that I try and find intellectual people - who are not there on retirement, and are not twenty years my senior - in what is an extremely non-intellectual region. Whenever I try and strike up a conversation, whether it be politics, cooking, or education reform, nobody seems able to comprehend anything beyond the basics. Well, other than the crowd at that one Mensa luncheon. . .

I could go on with examples, such as the time when I was introduced to a friend's girlfriend - via cellphone - and was warned to use small words. Instead, I think I'll start looking for apartments in Paris.
  • dolemite
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz wrote: »
    Oh, and I totally agree with other people that have said confidence and being yourself are always key, very true :)

From my experiences and observations, meeting people and asking them out requires something like this:

5% personality
    5% sense of humor
    90% confidence
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    oobersli wrote: »
    5. Church Really, its a pretty good place to meet a nice girl if you don't have a problem with religion. You usually don't have to be a holy roller to be successful. it sorta weeds out most whores and crazy bitches. Just don't plan on getting laid on the first date, unless you have a huge penis made of gold with the image of virgin mary on it somewhere.

I would stay away from this, unless you want to be brainwashed. I know someone that got turned and hes completely unrecognisable..
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness wrote: »
    I would stay away from this, unless you want to be brainwashed. I know someone that got turned and hes completely unrecognisable..

Yeh you have to be careful about that. Church is a high stakes gamble. On the one hand, the girls are fucking horny. On the other hand, they're actively trying to brainwash you.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness wrote: »

I don't think it's quite that simple. There are certainly churches/denominations/entire religions you'd probably just want to steer clear of if you're mostly just looking to meet chicks, but there are certainly smaller groups and very welcoming church communities that do more community service work and stuff along that line than actually trying to convert you to their belief system.

I'm from a Catholic background and can tell you that it wouldn't be the best place to go for meeting people because, at least these days, a lot of the people only keep going to church for appearance's sake and often want to get out of there as quickly as possible and aren't interested in mingling. I know a lot of Mormons and I'm certain you wouldn't want to try them either. A lot of local charity groups are run by small non-denominational Christian groups that generally have some decent people, though, so if you're interested in that sort of thing, you'll usually find good, non-scary people to meet at their charity and volunteer events.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    dolemite wrote: »
    Yeh you have to be careful about that. Church is a high stakes gamble. On the one hand, the girls are fucking horny. On the other hand, they're actively trying to brainwash you.

I'm not a fan of church but I would not go that far. my key issue here would be the fact that our beliefs would clash.

although last time that happened by the time we broke up she was pretty much an atheist lol
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea church would be a good way to find like minded people. Chances are if they've been sitting there week after week they're going to roughly check the same boxes on a personality test.

It's probably a bad idea to show at a church Sunday morning (Sat night for you) because at 2am the bar closed and you have to go somewhere and you weren't going home alone.

Muzz, awesome attitude to have. I personally think nothing spells disaster or failed relationship faster than two people who think they need another warm body just to exist. And yea, everyone's a lion online... heh.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks ChaosEidolon.

After reading these next two pages I suppose a few caveats are in order.
    1. While I am male and speaking from my experience, a lot of what I said is generic advice no matter if you are male, female, straight, gay, bi, or any other gender/preference label you apply to yourself.

2. My circle of friends is a good 90%+ female. IMO a girl setting you up with her friend has a better chance of going well than a guy setting you up with his female friend. Generally speaking a woman is a better judge of what another woman would like unless you happen to have a male friend who pays far more attention than average. On this line I can't really speak for what works better or worse for the GLBT community, but I can hazard the guess that staying with the idea of "similar gender and orientation of who you are looking for" is a likely good bet for good recommendations.

Elhrrah: yeah I think the best option for your situation would be to move.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    ebagg wrote: »
    dating foreign women... I like dating them because they aren't interested in something long term! :D

You lie. We both know you do it for the accent. The sweet, sweet foreign accent.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I meet girls everywhere, Online, in clubs, in bars, at swing dance lessons, the gym, the park, facebook (just not work, or your cute neighbor).

If you're single, just get yourself out there.

(Bars and clubs seem to be the least successful places to meet girls for the longer term).

Generally just go to the places where the types of girls you like will be.

Swing/Salsa dance classes was an awesome way to meet girls. You're always paired up, the girls who go there are generally open minded to new things, and they're usually pretty active (which makes them physically fit).

Online dating works if you don't chat. Just message them once to say hi, then another to suggest where and when you should meet (you're never going to know what they're like until you see them face to face).

You can get a lot of dates online, but its generally the same kind of crapshoot as the clubs.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8FtSpider wrote: »
    You lie. We both know you do it for the accent. The sweet, sweet foreign accent.

chicks with foreign accents dont count as relationships if the relationship is only an hour
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    8FtSpider wrote: »

and not getting alot of american humor and being oblivious to alot of jokes (Dont lie Ebagg Ive dated some of them to you know what I mean haha!..........offtopic but thinking of doing something monday with a few of the au pairs you in? )
  • Celes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm a character modeler in Full Sail University. My boyfriend is an environmental modeler in the same school :)
    we work our asses off together.
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    Being in a similar situation i quite know how you folks feel.
    my last relationship was 3 years ago and lasted for 4 years before she had to move out of country, rendering the relationship impossible.

in the past 3 years i´ve learned quite a few things tho, which helped me handling my shyness.
    a good idea to start conversations is at places that are NOT that common for being picked up, eg bars etc.
    people will think "oh great another idiot trying to get me laid".

instead talk to girls at bus stops or in the sub.
    aside from that you might have some fun shortening the waiting time.

eg i once, well sort of, picked up a girl waiting for a train.
    she had a guitar and a mandolin in cases with her and started talking to her like.. hey can i help you getting rid of the corpses? she stared at me for a second in perplexity and then i pointed at the cases. she had to laugh. so we started a convo and later had a coffee.
    although it didnt work out between us two we still meet each other from time to time.

i guess one big problem people might have is that they treat the other half as something holy-like, trying to be the perfect gentleman. instead, treat them just like any other female or male friend you have. be funny be cocky. if you can make a woman laugh, its half the deal.
    also dont hasitate getting in close contact. tickle her, if she´s cocky to you give her a slap on her rear, but stay civilised.
    of course it all the depends on the woman, but if she reacts overly negative towards your teases, you might overthink your choice on that woman.

teasing works wonders, specially with overly attractive woman (and often theyre a easy catch that way, just have the guts).
    however stay civil and dont make utterly dumb remarks.

don´t have to high expectations, don´t run after her.
    date other girls and tell her that.
    she´s instinctively think (what does she have and that i dont?) and if she´s half way interested in you she´ll be the one running after you.

dont talk about past relation ships unless its a funny story.
    no negative things in general.

don´t answer all her question directly, stay a bit of a mystery makes you more interesting :)

i´ve tried all of the things above and they all work pretty well in gettin to know girls.
    finding the right one takes time, especially for long term relationship.

in the end its a game, the more often you play it, the better you get, the more fun you´ll have and eventually get what you want.
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    It's all really just a fluke. About 8 years ago I was at a party and all of sudden I heard this girl say, "I'll shove my foot so far up your ass, your dad's dick will fall out of your mouth". I was intrigued and went up to to say hello. Cut to today: She's sleeping in the next room.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    some light internet stalking can help you zero in on a target. scary and true.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    untill you mention someones name or something you could not have known otherwise XD
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel wrote: »
    also dont hasitate getting in close contact. tickle her, if she´s cocky to you give her a slap on her rear, but stay civilised.

SEXUAL HARASSMENT LAWSUITS FINES JAILTIME PERMANENT CRIMINAL RECORDS

Just to clarify that, it's usually safe to touch another person somewhere innocuous like their upper arm, but anything much more than that and you've got to be extremely careful. It might be okay to brush an eyelash off a girl's cheek if she knows it's coming, and people are usually okay with something like a tap on the shoulder or tapping the toe of their shoe with yours in a playful way, but breasts, butts, just about any part of the legs, feet or head is generally off-limits unless you're pretty familiar with one another. Granted, this may be somewhat different in other cultures, but it's generally understood among people I come in contact with (not really a pun...) on a regular basis.
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha.

Of course. That´s why i said civilised and it also depends on the situation and person you deal with. groping someone isnt a good idea ofcourse..
    But yea i guess its a cultural thing. In some countries they might even sue you if you look at her in a "wrong" way.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    What the fuck are you talking about, America is the only country that sues, you get stoned every where else.
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    well, at uni, there was a blond girl, she was small skinny and didnt look very beautyful, but after i had bad luck with some weird girl, we kept slaging the weird girl off for about a year, during that time, the mensa food got really gross, so we decided to cook for ourselves, and the small girl grew beatiful because of proper nutrition. and then since i was hanging around her place everytime , i made her drunk and made her mine.
    thats all to say about it except that i always claimed i find her gross, before the relationship, some girls seem to like that
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You were just starving and found a cracker.. admit it monk ;) :P
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, at uni, there was a blond girl, she was small skinny and didnt look very beautyful, but after i had bad luck with some weird girl, we kept slaging the weird girl off for about a year, during that time, the mensa food got really gross, so we decided to cook for ourselves, and the small girl grew beatiful because of proper nutrition. and then since i was hanging around her place everytime , i made her drunk and made her mine.
    thats all to say about it except that i always claimed i find her gross, before the relationship, some girls seem to like that

This is hillarious, an almost similar story happened to me except she stayed skinny and I ditched her ass
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    getting really drunk helps.... oh hang on.... im single