Home General Discussion

Replies

• vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    the problem is, you cannot have a human in a suit be as strangely disproportionate as these aliens are, which is entirely why they are cg.

Yeah... and they're 14 feet tall too, towering above the humans in the preview. Forced perspective wouldn't work here either. Expecting some hand-to-hand situations here, too.

And seriously, Gollum couldn't act any good? He almost stole the show from the real actors...

And did you see the 15-minute preview anyway or are you just speculating? Because I've seen it and that's why I am fully convinced by it...
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    jogshy wrote: »
    I'll believe a Cg actor when if it wins the Oscar to the best actor/actress! :poly142:

It'll probably happen in our lifetime. Like in the News Radio episode where joe wakes up in the future and asks beth who's been winning the world series the past 100 years. And she goes, "Yankees, Yankees, Redsocks, Dodgers, Robots, Robots, Robots, Robots...."

New footage from the game:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-09-avatar/54752

Looks true to the movie. Can't help but think that all the effort that goes into these games to make 'em look like the movie and released near the movie makes the game blow, though.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    just from watching the trailer it made me think of some disney flick mased up with aliens..

not all that keen

blue people with funny ears.. all we need now is Gargamel..
  • ArtsyFartsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait, so let me see if I understand this. The guy is human, and then he turns into blue cat people, and then he falls in love with the blue cat woman, because suddenly his standards for women changed so drastically? How can he even tell them apart?

That's like me, mutating into a dog, and then suddenly being attracted and falling in love with a female dog.....

I think it would take me at least a week just to get over the fact that my penis has turned blue....Oh NO! I have blue balls!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Who said they had penises?
  • ArtsyFartsy
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait, so let me see if I understand this. The guy is human, and then he turns into blue cat people, and then he falls in love with the blue cat woman, because suddenly his standards for women changed so drastically?

He's not turned into the avatar, he remote controls it...
    I think it would take me at least a week just to get over the fact that my penis has turned blue....Oh NO! I have blue balls!

Since when is the movie about the events of a single week?
  • vargatom
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    I have some pretty mixed options about this one. It looks really really good along with the animation, (which I believe was mocap?) but I keep thinking about Delgo. Its those faces!

Apparently there's quite a few other similarities between the two, as a buddy of mine sent me this link.
    I laughed. :)

Overall, I bet this movie is going to rock my world.

**Edit: LOL. Another buddie of mine just sent me this. Apparently legal possibility's are already being considered.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I have to say I'm just not that impressed with this yet. Maybe it'll be awesome when I actually see it. But for now, the characters don't really do much for me. The environments look great, but that can't carry the whole film. I'm firmly 'meh' on this atm.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't want to say anything at first, thinking maybe I would get used to the design, but man, it is just bad. Especially the critters. They look like retarded american wannabe-anime Saturday morning cartoon designs. You want to know something? I can see the eyes just fine. You don't need to make the characters look like Bratz.

That is the worst, but the mech suits also look colossally dumb. They are like the robo-suits from The Matrix except not as cool. The Matrix design wasn't that great to start with, because they were themselves a shitty rip-off of the loader from Aliens. Something about recycling the design reminds me of eating your own puke...

Also, I don't even want to watch the movie in 3D. You know why? I can't wear two pairs of glasses at once assholes, and even if I could, I wouldn't want to watch through a pair of warped plastic sunglasses.

The sad thing is that even the design for the critters on the movie poster is better. Smaller eyes and nose, and a bigger mouth. Are they too embarrassed by the real design to put it on the poster? They should be.

At least Battle Angel is still in production (according to IMDB). Maybe Cameron will pull his head out in time to not fuck that one up. It better be rated R.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meh.

In fact a whole page's worth of 'meh'.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    cameron with former spouse:
    james-cameronlinda-hamilton.jpg
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Ex-spouse.

His current wife (Suzy Amis):
    371_g.jpg
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    haha did you guys hear the lulz of a supposed contemplated lawsuit between the blockbuster Delgo and Avatar for their similarities?

http://www.cinematical.com/2009/08/27/delgo-creators-mull-avatar-lawsuit/
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    New, 3 minute trailer is up for download:

*Warning, it basically gives away the entire movie plot*

720p Download link

1080p Download link
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    haha did you guys hear the lulz of a supposed contemplated lawsuit between the blockbuster Delgo and Avatar for their similarities?

http://www.cinematical.com/2009/08/27/delgo-creators-mull-avatar-lawsuit/

When your movie didn't make enough money to cover the expense, find a big budget movie with some similar pictures and make him spit money... Damn I love lawyers...
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I dont know what they've done but it looks alot better than the first trailer. They basically give away the whole plot though.
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    man the new avatar trailer shows the whole movie! If you want to watch the film a highly recommend you avoid the new trailer.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    a lot of trailers have a tendancy to do this recently, showing the entirety of the movie in the trailer.. its a bit disappointing - it only used to be horror movies that did it, now every movie is ruined by watching the trailer.

:shifty:
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    He's not turned into the avatar, he remote controls it...
    hey, i thought the process was permanent - him bonding to a artificially created 'avatar' - liek a new body - didn't think he could go back....

kinda lame if thats so - the bad dudes could just shoot him while he's still 'logged' into the avatar lying down.......

ULTIMATE FURRIES MOVIE!
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Not really interested, personally. Dunno why, just don't feel a strong desire to see the movie.
  • rawkstar
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Not really interested, personally. Dunno why, just don't feel a strong desire to see the movie.

Same here...

With how epic I have heard this movie is supposed to be over the past couple of years, nothing I've seen pulls me in.
    Not much from the trailer sets it apart other than the quality of animation/rendering.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Really, if you hadn't already worked out the entirety of the plot, you must be pretty new to this whole movie thing. I think if they really wanted this to be the be all and end all they might want to run on a story thats a little less archetypal.

It looks decent enough. Good enough to pay the exhorbitant ticket price come release time.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Saw the full thing last night, the stereoscopic version. Almost 3 hours long. Not sure what to make of it. the effects wer pretty mindblowing, probably best iv seen so far. the characters and expressions and animations wer pretty awesome - pretty incredible range of motion in all the faces. Story wise, not sure where to put it yet, cant make up my mind if i liked it or not
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saw it last night, avoided as much hype and advertising as possible prior to watching.

The visuals are really amazing, I was awestruck through the whole 2.5 hours of wearing those dumb 3D goggles. Maybe it's just me, half the time they worked perfectly and the other half I felt like I was having a blurry stroke. I think I'd rather just watch it all flat.

Here's a pretty good (constructively critical) review I read today:

http://chud.com/articles/articles/21882/1/REVIEW-AVATAR-DEVIN039S-TAKE/Page1.html
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    hey i found the stereoscopic effects weird too. pretty blurry for me too!
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Man this movie just doesn't look appealing too me. I really want it to be but these blue aliens and the Mechwarrior suits don't do it for me. Also this film is 3 hours!! Why are more and more director making they're movies so long?
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huh.. thought I had just posted in here.

Pretty amazing CG, awestruck the whole time. But after 3hrs, my head hurts from overstimulation. 15/10

Storywise it's the same story we've seen quite a few times (Fern Gully), no surprises there. :p 3/10

Cinema changing epicness of a scale the world has never known? 0/10
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man this movie just doesn't look appealing too me. I really want it to be but these blue aliens and the Mechwarrior suits don't do it for me.

I can't imagine anyone not liking the actual movie, the overall sensory effect is so good. You'll not only care for the aliens, you'll actually believe they exist.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    There's two threads.

This thread was last posted in on Oct 30.

The other thread was last posted in 2 weeks ago and bumped at 8:37 pm yesterday and was still on the front page.

It's JohnnyRaptor's fault. :poly124:
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just saw the film tonight, 3d fancy-schmancy stuff and all. I haven't seen any '3d' film in about ten years, their use of 'shove something towards the camera' was actually pretty tasteful. Good film, I enjoyed it overall, and certainly enjoyed the visuals. (though fast paced stuff ends up a bit extra blurry with the glasses).

Visually, what I liked best about the rendering was the hair, foliage and facial animation. Mostly the hair, someone gave that some love.

Oh, and how JP respawns and jumps back in the action, total gamer.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erm..I've seen it. Like 3 days ago in the UK. I have to say it was out standing. High definition real3D, amazing story, no stupid Bay humour just pure excellence. One of the coolest movies I've seen in a long time. I always rate movies at the end and I gave this one 9.5/10. Nothing can be 10 obviously :)
    I recommend ANYONE to go see this. It made my day just seeing that something like James could make such a movie.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Saw it and it was good. My previous criticisms about the visuals are null and void. I did believe they were aliens, and with the crisp 3D visuals their clothes(you could see the threads that the clothes were made of), hair, skin looked so good I could almost feel them.

I still dont like some of the designs, the mechs were functionally useless, and had no inertia. The plot and acting were rubbish. But it was a visual feast, their dastardly plan has worked this time.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    rawkstar wrote: »
    its pocahontas!

It really was. CG was good, but story was abismal.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Horribly generic yet beautifully unique.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    i wasn't expecting much when my friends dragged me along to see it. and i was positively suprised. not as good as district 9, but one of the best movies this year. definitely beats terminator 4 and transformers 2. storywise tho it was as much good vs evil as it can get.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    The plot is the basic "Us Humans are the REAL MONSTERS, the monsters are the REAL HUMANS" type stuff but the art is absolutely wonderful and they manage to make a number of great scenes with a sense of wonder and exploration.

It was a ton of fun, absolutely gorgeous throughout, and very well put together. I was expecting it to be ham-fisted and preachy but it wasn't. In a lot of ways I think of it as kind of the special effects/sci-fi version of Moulin-Rouge - taking a very basic plot and showing how you can just dump a ton of production value and style into it to make it seem fresh and exciting.
    I did find it hilarious that the blue dudes have a religious ceremony to move people from one body to another...something that would never be necessary until the sky people came. Once I pointed this out to my brother it killed it a bit for him. Reminds me a lot of the kiss in The Matrix - one of those things that, during the moment, is pretty cool, but when you take a step back it makes it hard to maintain suspension of belief. But whatever
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Just got back from a late screening. Holy fuck. What surprised me the most about the movie was that numerous times, I found myself getting absolutely caught up with the sense of wonder they were conveying, whether it was Sully running around for the first time, or witnessing the environments, or creatures. My cynical ass hasn't felt that sort of wonder in some time, especially from a movie.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can anyone tell me, from the movie, what Unobtainium is used for?
    I seemed to have missed that vital fact.

Or how are the Avatars controlled? Are there cybernetics in their brains?
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    Ghostscape wrote: »
    The plot is the basic "Us Humans are the REAL MONSTERS, the monsters are the REAL HUMANS" type stuff but the art is absolutely wonderful and they manage to make a number of great scenes with a sense of wonder and exploration.

It was a ton of fun, absolutely gorgeous throughout, and very well put together. I was expecting it to be ham-fisted and preachy but it wasn't. In a lot of ways I think of it as kind of the special effects/sci-fi version of Moulin-Rouge - taking a very basic plot and showing how you can just dump a ton of production value and style into it to make it seem fresh and exciting.
    I did find it hilarious that the blue dudes have a religious ceremony to move people from one body to another...something that would never be necessary until the sky people came. Once I pointed this out to my brother it killed it a bit for him. Reminds me a lot of the kiss in The Matrix - one of those things that, during the moment, is pretty cool, but when you take a step back it makes it hard to maintain suspension of belief. But whatever

in regards to your spoiler:
    it has absolutely nothing to do with moving bodies from one to another. the entire point of their culture is that they believed all living things are connected...and they were. in the end, him asking the tree for assistance led the living things of the world to work together.

it is this bond that made him able to leave his body, since their deity really just considers spirits as energy, and independent bodies as a means to harness a spirit. it made total sense to me that they would be able to move energy from one to the other.

in regards to the movie. i thought it was amazing, but it's all hinged on perspective. if you enter this movie looking for parallels with pocahontas or ferngully, i gurantee you will find them. just consider that both those movies are great, and this movie executes it much better than either one of them. it is fantastic, and i got goosebumps countless times.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Word. Saw it in 3d and loved it hard. Best effects evahr.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me, from the movie, what Unobtainium is used for?
    They never mention it; it's a room temperature superconductor. Used to build more maglev trains, but also yo build matter-antimatter reactors and such.

Or how are the Avatars controlled? Are there cybernetics in their brains?
    Yeah, sort of.

Pretty interesting background info here:
    http://www.pandorapedia.com
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    Great movie, loved every minute of it
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I plan on seeing it as soon as I have the chance, but fuck I can't stand the designs of the blue people. urrgh.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    ralusek wrote: »
    in regards to your spoiler:
    it has absolutely nothing to do with moving bodies from one to another. the entire point of their culture is that they believed all living things are connected...and they were. in the end, him asking the tree for assistance led the living things of the world to work together.

it is this bond that made him able to leave his body, since their deity really just considers spirits as energy, and independent bodies as a means to harness a spirit. it made total sense to me that they would be able to move energy from one to the other.

in regards to the movie. i thought it was amazing, but it's all hinged on perspective. if you enter this movie looking for parallels with pocahontas or ferngully, i gurantee you will find them. just consider that both those movies are great, and this movie executes it much better than either one of them. it is fantastic, and i got goosebumps countless times.

Y'know thats really pretty awesome and fixes that up for me.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Saw it tonight. It was awesome. Loved it. Seeing it again.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Great movie!!! Will see it again, just not in 3D that was hell on my eyes. Masive headache for an hour after it and still my eyes have a hard time recalibrating.