Home General Discussion

Replies

• glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the uncanny valley applies since they hominoid, and when they're the only thing on screen the seem human 'enough' most of the time (except the animalistic snarl things they'd do when they were mad).

I saw it last night in 3D and was pleasantly surprised. It was really good. The plot was dances with wolves/pocahontas/last samurai/whatever else, but it's a basic archetype so calling it 'simple' is really just misunderstanding literature. The performances carried emotional weight, and describing the movie as a 'rollercoaster' feels almost like too little since the term is so overused to describe lackluster thrillers. I'll be going to see it again, probably fairly soon. I think the last time I saw a movie twice in a theatre was the lord of the rings trilogy, and that was probably the first time I'd ever done that.

Oh also, the 3D was surprisingly tasteful and subtle as I'd been told. The alice in wonderland trailer in 3D beforehand felt hamfisted in comparison ('look at this pole jump out of the screen at you, wooaaaaah').
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Me and a buddy were discussing this earlier lots of reviews are saying "avatar breaks the uncanny valley" but the uncanny valley doesn't exist for non-human characters. Right? I mean, it's an alien so there's no reference to base the uncanny valley on, the characters were amazing don't get me wrong but I'd like to see this in the proper context of the cinema where you are comparing apples to apples. Comparing a blue alien that looks somewhat human doesn't get into the uncanny valley simply because you've already suspended belief long enough to accept the fact it's a blue alien. When it's based on a human to human scale is where the uncanny valley comparison should only be used.

The uncanny valley isnt a conscious thing, someone saying the uncanny valley doesnt apply here doesnt mean anything. If something looks human then we will take it as such and know and expect certain things from it, it also applies to animals. You just know when somethings wrong.

Its not really in the uncanny valley but even with District 9 and the pure aliens in that, there are occasions where the animation is just not right. Its off balance, or the limbs arent movie exactly right, you know, even though you havent seen anything like it before.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I thought of Ferngully during the film. Especially the bulldozer scene. Also, the native's connection to nature reminded me of the "Pequeninos" from Orson Scott Card's Speaker for the Dead, and Xenocide.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    ely,
    I know! Just replace pig features with cat and short/fat with tall/lanky and your almost rite on the money!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah they both kinda had a weird natural internet/mind thing going on.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    soon we'll be writing half a page long list of the few movies that avatar does not remind you of.
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    glib wrote: »
    Oh also, the 3D was surprisingly tasteful and subtle as I'd been told. The alice in wonderland trailer in 3D beforehand felt hamfisted in comparison ('look at this pole jump out of the screen at you, wooaaaaah').

I think thats one of the main reasons why the film has been so successful with all types of people, the 3d is not used as a gimmick at all which is not the case in every other film in 3d. I personally became so engaged in the film that I had a few "Oh shit, I forgot this was in 3d" moments.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    eld,

Pan's Labyrinth, Groundhogs day, and bill and teds excellent adventure.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    eld,

Pan's Labyrinth, Groundhogs day, and bill and teds excellent adventure.

Oddly enough, all films that I think are vastly more entertaining than Avatar. :D
  • Pankake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pankake polycounter lvl 11
    Bill and Ted?! I didn't even like that when I was the appropriate age.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    I know how late I am but just saw it now... Loved it! Movie of the year for sure. This is the kind of immersion that is lacking in games nowadays, leaving the theatre to the town and felling the real world is out of place... I want games like this from now on!
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    that movie was just orgasm after orgasm. I really hope i can be part of such a CG intensive and revolutionary project like that. Its movies like this that inspire me to become a better 3D Artist.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so what is this movie about then
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Bayonetta > Avatar
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    so what is this movie about then

Its pochahontas in space with brilliant acting, and awesome vfx.
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »
    Bayonetta > Avatar

Where is the 'like' button? Damn been using too much facebook, haha. But yes, this is true! I am really loving Bayonetta right now, and I thought Avatar was pretty good. Bayonetta is just that much better.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Yo I'm real happy for you Avatar (and I'm gonna let you finish) , but bayonetta is the best ferngully in space adaptation of ALL TIME.
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    You gotta let Avatar finish, dog.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    saw it a while ago - lovd the movie for what it was.......a furries + pocahontas 3d orgy :D

just a note -has anyone seen/heard about the VERY striking similar of the Avatar movie to some russian/European novel series written in the late 1960's ( i think)?

similarities include the same name of the planet (pandora) - alien names (Na'vi > Nave) and more?
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Funny this thread is bumped, I just got back from seeing it. It was the first time I have watched a 3d movie in the theaters, and wow, it was better than I was expecting. I was very immersed because of it. I enjoyed the movie on its own and the 3d helped make me enjoy it even more.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    ok.... i was searching for box office sales. wanted to see how the movie was doing, and i found this article... it made me laugh.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/juice/2009/11/james-camerons-avatar-cost-500-million-to-make.html

my favourite line from it....

"All for a movie that frankly doesn't have half the buzz of New Moon or even 2012. That's the real sign of the apocalypse. "

ya... avatar is currently sitting at 1.4 BILLION dollars in box office sales.... titanic is still on top with 1.8.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i still dont know how "New Moon" made the cover of the last issue of 3D World Mag. Still, avatar is this months cover!!!!!!!!!!! so excited!!!!
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP wrote: »
    i still dont know how "New Moon" made the cover of the last issue of 3D World Mag. Still, avatar is this months cover!!!!!!!!!!! so excited!!!!

Wow what? New Moon CG looks pathetic, the wolves look like shit.

EDIT: in comparison to Avatar that is.
  • Canden Picard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont know if this has been brought up, well, first off I thought this movie was the best movie ive seen in a while, awesome, visually and emotionally. Buuuuuut, I saw something else; has anyone ever seen ferngully? A human finds his way into a forest, and the forest people find him, and they dont accept him at first, but he warms them up, and all along he knows whats gonna happen to the people they live in a tree, the forest is connected etc etc.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Fern Gully: released in 1992

Makes sense.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    dances with smur ... sorry, dances with wolves released in 1990

same thing, fewer trees
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    who cares if Avatar was a rip off? these days, EVERYTHING had been done. the only way to seek originality is to mix aspects of different films, games, and stories. Avatar is NOT unique! However, that shouldn't make the CG, story, character, (or anything else) any less amazing. Im sick of hearing "_______ did that first." Well, u know what? Avatar was the first to do what it did, AND SUCCEED to this degree.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I am personally fine with new movies revisiting old themes. Hence just saying 'oooh but movies x y and z did it first' doesn't really do anything to me.

However!! It's a bit of a shame if a movie revisits something and does NOT add anything to the theme story wise. For instance I see the connection with Dance with the Wolfes (never saw Ferngully). Fine. But what I find sad is, DWTW touched me and I felt emotionally connected to the characters. And the Wolf with the white paws was cute (right?). Same with Last Samurai.

Now comes Avatar, years and millions of dollars later - yet the story and character development are both inferior. Bit of a waste of energy and CG!
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Well theres another thing that if you take Avatar at face value is if that story had never been done before then it doesnt make any sense.

Would the humans betray their own kind to save some Aliens? Jake might, but the rest wouldnt, unless their stupid.

Really none of the characters actions made any sense except in the sense that its been done before or thats what the characters are supposed to do.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think its okay if avatar was 'inspired' by other movies that came before it.
    i have only seen DWTW once, when i was too young to remember it well, but i will say that avatar felt a lot like Pocahontas with aliens.
    do i care? no: the movie was a good movie, worth my 17$ to go see it in imax 3d. i got the entertainment i paid for, and that's something a lot of hollywood movies have stopped doing for me
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    Canden - does the human bang any animals in furngully?.......
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    the reason the humans side with the Navi is because they see them as people, their race doesn't make a difference. The corporation they were working for told them to go commit genocide, and some of humans had a problem with that. The reason Jake feel in love with the Navi is because he was able to literally merge with the planet and the Furry was freaking hott too. I'm sure if you are inside a navi/human hybrid, the Navi dna would make you want to bone that hottie too especially after all the time they spent together. The reason so many bitch about Avatar is because they hated the blue aliens and they simply couldn't relate to them.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    indian_boy wrote: »
    i think its okay if avatar was 'inspired' by other movies that came before it.

Especially if those other movies have also been inspired by other, age-old stories. Storytelling didn't start in the 20th century ;)
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good point.
    should've worded my point more thoroughly.

I will say though, the Na'vi are very nicely fleshed out.
    I heard that the language they have was actually developed by somebody earlier, and it was bought for this movie?
    not sure about that though
  • Mime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mime polycounter lvl 14
    slipsius wrote: »
    ya... avatar is currently sitting at 1.4 BILLION dollars in box office sales.... titanic is still on top with 1.8.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=avatar.htm
  • Wyldcard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the "X did it 1st" argument is bullshit imo. Hero with a thousand faces by Cambell pretty much sums it all up, monomyth and all that jazz.

Also, did anyone who went to see the movie sit there at any point and go "hmnnnn this is like watching pocahontas in 3D". Judge the film on its merits as a story telling device not as a re-imagining of any old classic. In my humble opinion it ranks up there with the best, it's well told, well acted and for almost 3hours of movie I never found myself bored. 10/10
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Mime wrote: »

yes, you checked a few days after i posted. in a couple days it went up 200 million... more than a month after release... very nice
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I have no doubts that it'll beat titanic.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    im personally hoping it will beat 2 billion. what an achievement that would be.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    I have no doubts that it'll beat titanic.

Kinda easy to call it at this point ;) only $200 million to go, that's less then two weeks.

Right before its release, now that was a different thing. A lot of people expected it to fail spectacularly...
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    so was looking through high rez stills from the movie and came across this

It looks horrible. My guess is this was rendered back in the films earlier stages cause Jake doesn't even look like Sam Worthington and that creature screams Specularity Overdose

Compare to this one

In this picture its like omg thats amazing anyways food for thought

-Phatty
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I liked it. My favorite white-man's-burden movie since Pocahontas and Dances with Wolves.

Funny story. While watching it, when she takes him hunting with the bow/arrow there is this deer/llama creature. When it raises it's head and makes the weird noise/face, I knew instantly my husband would like it. I turned my head and sure enough he was grinning like a fool. I asked him after what his favorite animal in the movie was, and he said the llama thing. I tried making the face and noise the rest of the night which constantly cracked him up.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, the lamma/dear thing was my fav too! reminded me of the predator when it takes its mask off.

o, and i also liked those 6-armed lemurs.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    My favorite were the helicopter lizard things, they owned.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    PhattyEwok wrote: »
    It looks horrible. My guess is this was rendered back in the films earlier stages cause Jake doesn't even look like Sam Worthington and that creature screams Specularity Overdose

you're overreacting quite a bit, the slimewolf was nothing but intentional on the high-gloss surface of its skin, and it's teeth gave me the impression of something spiderlike and poisonous.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    pior wrote: »
    I am personally fine with new movies revisiting old themes. Hence just saying 'oooh but movies x y and z did it first' doesn't really do anything to me.

However!! It's a bit of a shame if a movie revisits something and does NOT add anything to the theme story wise. For instance I see the connection with Dance with the Wolfes (never saw Ferngully). Fine. But what I find sad is, DWTW touched me and I felt emotionally connected to the characters. And the Wolf with the white paws was cute (right?). Same with Last Samurai.

Now comes Avatar, years and millions of dollars later - yet the story and character development are both inferior. Bit of a waste of energy and CG!

yup pretty much my thoughts as well.

My general feeling as well is that A LOT of people have bought into the hype and marketing machine again and just cant admit that the movie was ok or average. This is not citizine fucking kane people. Hell, Avatar is not even on the same level as terminator 2 or pulp fiction. Those are great movies.

The cg is great, sure. But ultimately it is not as moving or touching as other movies. Sorry people but Avatar was just good.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    EricV wrote: »
    yup pretty much my thoughts as well.

My general feeling as well is that A LOT of people have bought into the hype and marketing machine again and just cant admit that the movie was ok or average. This is not citizine fucking kane people. Hell, Avatar is not even on the same level as terminator 2 or pulp fiction. Those are great movies.

The cg is great, sure. But ultimately it is not as moving or touching as other movies. Sorry people but Avatar was just good.

Yep.

But man, people sure get up in arms whenever you say things like that. Especially on CGTalk...

I still say wait 5-10 years and people are going to be looking at this movie very differently, and not too favorably.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    Yep.

But man, people sure get up in arms whenever you say things like that. Especially on CGTalk...

I still say wait 5-10 years and people are going to be looking at this movie very differently, and not too favorably.

I know! Or even youtube. Say something remotely critical about it and the fan boys are all over you!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't buy into the marketing and hype at all - I was looking forward to it, but skeptical. I also think it was an amazing movie. I see it's flaws, but I still love it.