Your work is pretty solid overall and the criticism I'm about to give you is more of an impression of some of your speed sculpts and not a general statement on your portfolio.
Basically I'm noticing that many of your images have a point of focus where the action is occurring - let's call this the object, and then a very loose and not well developed background.
It seems that you start with the object, spend most of your time developing that, and then the rest of the image is just an afterthought and little effort is put into it. The quoted image is a very bad example of this, where the whole top half is just blue with nothing interesting happening in it whatsoever. Even if this is a fast sketch, you should try to come up with ways to rearrange your composition so that you don't have these large gaping areas of nothingness. That's what sketching is all about - trying out new formal arrangements.
His image has a central focus object as well, but the background is thought out and developed so that the entire image works as a whole. I can't crop out any parts of his image because it will subtract from the overall impression. In many of your images, I can crop out big chunks of space and not lose anything.
P.S.
I'm sorry i didn't read any of the previous comments so I have no idea what you've talked about already.
P.S.P.S
They call me ArtsyFartsy for a reason.:poly142:
P.S.P.S.P.S
Yes I know the example I give is very highly polished work, and these are speed paintings, but regardless of the amount of time spend in a work the principle is still the same.
Thanks a lot for the feedback man, i'm going to try some different approaches for my speedpaints ! I actually do start with the background first, and then add in some other stuff that then always take up all the attention . I'm going to approach this a bit different and try to figure out something to make the composition make more sense and less random.. maybe include some little stories here and there. In the picture you quoted I actually had some stuff in the sky before, 2 shuttles flying around, but i removed them because i felt they broke the composition. Maybe I should have thought about it more and moved them around a bit.
Thanks again! Definitely helpful.
another quick one, for thesame game as the rocket concept from before. it feels unfinished and sketchy but has all the information we need to make the scene
seams to lack any worked up focus, which make sit hard to judge what it is or the scale of anything, cool though, want to know more about this project the rocket looks ace, been looking at alot of 50-70s sci-fi recently and the rocket captures that sweetspot between the fantasy of flash gordon and space race reality/2001 aesthestic
thx shep, yeah it's impossible to judge the scale, but since we mockup up the scene we know what it's gonna be anyway (those pillars are HUGE). Hopefully soon I can show the actual project, weve gotten pretty far with it.
another one, i sure love rockets and astronauts!!
I'm probably going to work on it some more but would love to get some opinions
: ) loving these P. you always nail a great mood of isolation and bewilderment. reminds me a lot of some of Chris Foss's work.
if i had to make a small nitpick, it'd be that certain areas where you have put a lot of time into, such as the character who sits comfortably on the foreground, has much simpler surroundings and lack the detail that help separate the foreground from the midground. for example, it's hard to tell if the ramp in front of him is close or far off. a few smaller, recognizeable details would really help sell the scale in your pix
Wow great works there!
I love your spaceships and sf scenes.
Makes me wan't to have a try with new thema.
Do you know this web site?: http://conceptships.blogspot.com/
There's a lot of great stuff too.
This looks like it's going to be a great piece Peris. I think you could push the light contrast a lot further. The windows to the left, and the opening up top could create very dramatic spotlights, and the rest of the space being largely black.
About what others are saying regarding spatial relationships. Maybe using differently textured strokes would help separate some of the foreground/background elements.
Either way, keep going on this and see how far you can take it.
hey thanks a lot for all the tips everyone ! It's really helping . I worked on it some more, got some more contrast in there and color variations. Made the shadows a bit colder and the sunlight a bit warmer, and then just did general fixes everywhere on stuff that felt too sketchy for me. I should have tried maybe trying to seperate the foreground more but couldn't really find a good solution for it, I'll try to plan out a more correct perspective in the future . If there's one thing i learned from this it's that i really really need to make sure to get things right from the beginning, and dont just continue on a weird perspective like i did with this one.
Great work Peris, I especially like the mood in that last spaceship one. And as far as the industrial design books, you might want to check this one out.
I really like how in that last car painting the big flat areas of color are combining with the loose brushstrokes. Great color palette, and contrast overall. The car is almost a distraction in my eyes.
I'm a big fan of your sketchbook, Peris. For that newest piece I love the depth you achieve through contrast and color variance there. Those scaffolding structures are great for establishing scale. The perfectly horizontal one near the bottom throws things off a little bit though, I think.
With that last one the girders are looking a bit too "IM A BRUSH" right now. Try placing them down on a new layer and do some quick transforms to it to break it up, and make sure to go over with a fine brush and break up the shapes a little. It takes a little but it makes it appear more natural .
thanks guys
jarm: I usually just pick something i find appealing, I havn't really been associating it with the subject..
some expressionless faces i did today
going to try more and more character stuff for a while to get more comfortable with it. I'm having a hard time drawing characters with lighting on them since i was so used drawing them as line art.. i have no clue how they are built up spatially so i'm slowly trying to learn this now
Hmm I had an almost 2 month break from making any art because of vacations/real life stuff... time to get busy again!
I watched casablanca and painted this:
Replies
Old Man You looks like some salty Icelandic Fisherman that I can only aspire to be one day.
something random that came out of alchemy + some photoshop
study of some picture of brigitte bardot i found
hihi yeah, thats what the concept artists do so i just copy them!!
heres some spaceship thing, trying out some techniques, like drawing shiny stuff!
another speedy from today:
speedsketch.. ~30 mins
not very happy with this one, it wasn't really going anywhere.. but i felt liek i learned a thing or 2 while doing it anyway.
Your work is pretty solid overall and the criticism I'm about to give you is more of an impression of some of your speed sculpts and not a general statement on your portfolio.
Basically I'm noticing that many of your images have a point of focus where the action is occurring - let's call this the object, and then a very loose and not well developed background.
It seems that you start with the object, spend most of your time developing that, and then the rest of the image is just an afterthought and little effort is put into it. The quoted image is a very bad example of this, where the whole top half is just blue with nothing interesting happening in it whatsoever. Even if this is a fast sketch, you should try to come up with ways to rearrange your composition so that you don't have these large gaping areas of nothingness. That's what sketching is all about - trying out new formal arrangements.
Here's an example of the opposite from another artist.
http://www.nibbledpencil.com/image.php?image=HAPPINESS%20IS%20A%20BLUE%20BIRD%203.jpg
His image has a central focus object as well, but the background is thought out and developed so that the entire image works as a whole. I can't crop out any parts of his image because it will subtract from the overall impression. In many of your images, I can crop out big chunks of space and not lose anything.
P.S.
I'm sorry i didn't read any of the previous comments so I have no idea what you've talked about already.
P.S.P.S
They call me ArtsyFartsy for a reason.:poly142:
P.S.P.S.P.S
Yes I know the example I give is very highly polished work, and these are speed paintings, but regardless of the amount of time spend in a work the principle is still the same.
Thanks again! Definitely helpful.
another one, i sure love rockets and astronauts!!
I'm probably going to work on it some more but would love to get some opinions
if i had to make a small nitpick, it'd be that certain areas where you have put a lot of time into, such as the character who sits comfortably on the foreground, has much simpler surroundings and lack the detail that help separate the foreground from the midground. for example, it's hard to tell if the ramp in front of him is close or far off. a few smaller, recognizeable details would really help sell the scale in your pix
i figure you probably already have this bookmarked, but if you don't you might enjoy it.
http://conceptships.blogspot.com/
I love your spaceships and sf scenes.
Makes me wan't to have a try with new thema.
Do you know this web site?:
http://conceptships.blogspot.com/
There's a lot of great stuff too.
This looks like it's going to be a great piece Peris. I think you could push the light contrast a lot further. The windows to the left, and the opening up top could create very dramatic spotlights, and the rest of the space being largely black.
About what others are saying regarding spatial relationships. Maybe using differently textured strokes would help separate some of the foreground/background elements.
Either way, keep going on this and see how far you can take it.
time for something new!
Here is a drawing of a car that went abit crazy
i need to draw more cars, it's fun.. but hard! Maybe I should get an industrial design book, anyone have any good tips?
H-point from design studio press.
http://www.designstudiopress.com/new_site/book_pages/pics_H-Point/book_H-Point.html
new one:
this shit has been done a million times.. but it's fun to draw space stations so whatever
really like your use of color
keep it up
With that last one the girders are looking a bit too "IM A BRUSH" right now. Try placing them down on a new layer and do some quick transforms to it to break it up, and make sure to go over with a fine brush and break up the shapes a little. It takes a little but it makes it appear more natural .
playing around with some more brushes.. 25 minute speedpaint
You dont have to use flat girder textures, you can always make a perspectve one, they work pretty well.
eg. http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e305/muzzoid/muzz_-perspgirder.png
man, drawing people always gets me really frustrated, I really need to do it more and get more confident with it
Do you choose your palettes by feel or by association with subject matter?
jarm: I usually just pick something i find appealing, I havn't really been associating it with the subject..
some expressionless faces i did today
going to try more and more character stuff for a while to get more comfortable with it. I'm having a hard time drawing characters with lighting on them since i was so used drawing them as line art.. i have no clue how they are built up spatially so i'm slowly trying to learn this now
i put a bunch of ref pics and bridgmans book next to me this time, definitely helped a bit more
I watched casablanca and painted this:
a few hours in total think, I'm not sure since I worked on it now and then during 2 days
I saved the progress so you can have a better idea how it was built up:
a fast one:
this one took a few hours: