Home General Discussion

super epic art tests

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
John Warner polycounter lvl 18
I've noticed a few art tests that are massive in scale. Has anyone else noticed this? If so, whats your opinion on the subject?

it seems to me that asking someone, who already has a portfolio, and is looking for jobs in multiple places, to drop everything and do an art test for your company that consists of 4 or 5 world objects in a massive scene, is not only completely ridiculous and unnecessary, but also insensitive to that person's schedule and private life on a level that is completely insulting and disrespectful. I've seen some BIG art tests man.

I mean honestly, if I was looking to hire someone, I'd be tempted to give him the type of art tests that I've seen JUST to see weather or not he has the self respect to tell me to go fuck myself.

Thoughts?

Replies

• 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know a lot of people who have the same feelings.

if i really wanted a job at a certain company, then i wouldnt mind doing a bit art test for them that takes precedence over other things.

but if i was just searching around and found a few companies that were hiring and i wasnt super stoked to work for them (one would be just as good as the other) then i wouldnt bother doing the giant art test.

so it all depends on wether or not youre targeting a specific company you would love to work at or just picking a job from a list of so-so companies.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    learn to work faster and more efficient!

/runs away
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    My impression is that the company doesn't expect the applicant to finish the test, but gauges how much they got done and at what quality to see if they match the company's standards.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    I did not mind the Splashdamage one, since I didnt really had a portfolio or a portfolio that's up to date.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think pangarang is right with this one. They would be very impressed if you got it done in a decent time that looked visually stunning. But I'm sure there just looking to see how efficient you work as well as your style or if you can adapt to their style.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    depends on the company.

if it were mythic, i'd laugh at them, if it were Epic, i'd get on it.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    I can't stand em. I don't care what the company is, if they give art tests the size of some I've seen they can screw right off. An art test is supposed to be to ensure that a person can do what their 'folio says they can do. It shouldn't take a whole lot to figure that out, just a simple and quick task to see if a person can complete it on time and on spec is enough.

These companies/art directors that give out tests that are more than a weeks worth of full time work need to jump the down off their high horses. All those tests show is that the company or AD is arrogant and feels that the applicant's time is worthless.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    do you guys have any examples of giant art tests? or is that stuff supposed to be kept on the down low?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    depends on the company.

if it were mythic, i'd laugh at them, if it were Epic, i'd get on it.

that's mean :(
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, i think some companies have an attitude that if you really want to get a job there you'll go above and beyond the art test requirements just to impress, i think its cool on your end i mean hey do whatever you want, but for a company to actually EXPECT that is kinda lame.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    I dunno, I kinda dig the challenge.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Shouldn't a good interview totally bypass any need for an art test? You have the persons work right in front of you, just ask them how they did it. The only need I can see for an art test is if your the best of best, and you only hire the best in the industry, you better be sure they are the real thing. Some of these other companies handing out these retardly huge art test's with unreasonable limitations, and no one on the art team having taken the test themselves is just stupid. I literally had a company hand me this test for a prop, turn me down in a one line email saying I wasn't good enough, and turn around 2 months later to ask to fly me up for an interview because they saw some new high poly work I did after there test. They aren't around any more. GG.

I could go on about other test's I worked my ass off on, and never even received a reply back at all. If you have to hand out an Art test and aren't the best, then at least send me a thank you email. Serious lack of integrity with some of these places...

/end rant
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir wrote: »
    All those tests show is that the company or AD is arrogant and feels that the applicant's time is worthless.

Well put, Mr. Director.
    Em. wrote: »
    I dunno, I kinda dig the challenge.

interesting.

Perhapppppsss it's a matter of values. If they're lookin for someone who is insanely dedicated and wants to work in an environment that challenges them, then I suppose that's a good fit.

personally.. bleeahh. I'd sooner die... and I wonder if you CAN get such an expectant leader who isn't an asshole, and is just looking for people as committed as he is. makes me wonder if that'd be a healthy work/life balance psychology, as well...
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax wrote: »
    I could go on about other test's I worked my ass off on, and never even received a reply back at all. If you have to hand out an Art test and aren't the best, then at least send me a thank you email. Serious lack of integrity with some of these places...

amen. This is the type of shit that I'm talking about. What disrespectful bullshit.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Midways art test was ridiculous when I worked there. I didn't have to do it when I got hired but I had to hand it out to a few people and it was just stupid. Limitations were not realistic for the most part and they had no set standard for what was actually considered a solid turn in.

80% of the people at Midway wouldn't have been able to successfully complete the test to he so called standards that were brought up.

I haven't done an art test in quite some time. I actually got turned off by a few places because they wanted me to do a test but it comes down to what you want in the end I suppose.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    I agree with john on this. Big art tests are disrespectful. I've yet to see a company ask a programmer to create an app of their specification "just to see if their folio is legit". Under those circumstances, you're assuming that artists are liars and cheats.

The sheer lack of respect for what artists do really bothers me about this industry. I work with a great programmer who said it best....

"The most ingenious engine technology isn't worth a dime if all it does is render teapots. I'll make the tech, you make humanity love it."

and I gave this very same advice to a journalist once, and I think it applies to any AD who wants good people:

"If You want to work quality people that you can depend on, entrench yourself in the mud with as many as you can. You'll see whose a miner and whose a worm".
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    Peris wrote: »
    learn to work faster and more efficient!

/runs away

so says the man who won unearthly challenge :p
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    on the flip side, sometimes artists need to let their tattered ego go when asked to do a test, it could be a matter of having a dope folio but nothing in the style of the current project, even your response to being asked to do it can determine some personality stuff.

besides why would a company want to hire someone who applies and doesnt care if they really get the job there because they have applied to 20 other studios. also good especially for college grads to test them on realworld production timelines, you dont get an entire semester to make an environment in the real world :P

if you look at it from the companies perspective, ideally you would want to hire people who have a genuine enthusiasm for your studio......its these people who will be making you rich

I agree there are some excessive tests out there but chances are anyone who busts their ass on it (and does it well) will get the job, thats what happened to me anyways. 5 days of 12-15 hour days, granted I had very little to show beforehand but hey it got me the job at 20 years old without having to go to college, so in my case it was certainly worth it.

either way its debateable and comes down to a case by case situation. there will always be the line of excessive expectations, and i guess its up to the artist to make the judgement call.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    i can see where companies are coming from there is always a nagging doubt in the back of your mind as the AD,unless the persons portfolio is uber awesome you kinda wonder whether they can do things in YOUR style to YOUR deadlines.
    Especially if you as the AD happen to be feeling the pressure from the suits above and are slightly wary of your own position,the last thing you want to do is be hiring people who aren't what they seem on the tin,or are just complete screw ups.

Agreed though with the initial point,I believe how good someone is and what they can achieve in a set-time can be shown in a simple art test with particular limitations and possibly a loose concept art which can be interpreted in different ways.
    Shouldn't need to do wacking great art test to prove myself.....or why the hell do I have a portfolio in the first place?

As for the questions about a persons enthusiasm,that should come across in the interview,if they are enthusiastic about working for you they will know about you,know what projects you have done etc.....if they have one eye on the application they sent to the studio next door then they won't. If you can't tell how enthusiastic,what a person is like or how good they actually are after going through there folio with them...you properly shouldn't even be in the position to hiring.

John
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On my personal opinion aside from what everyone else has expressed.

I feel art tests are great for new people breaking into the industry. Yet should be a requirement so new talent that hasn't gotten an opportunity before for a real job. Would be able to get the chance to prove themselves worthy and qualified for that job. :)

Some companies I see do have a huge ego about themselves due to huge success or past failures.

But for those who have worked in the industry already, and have shipped 1 or 3 titles as a key part. I see no need to provide an art-test to those (That's if I was a company owner, ect). Because it's obvious that, that individual has put his/her time into that project with that previous companies team.

I personally have not obtained an industry job yet, and still am applying to as many companies that I can see myself as a fit to. It's just a shame I cannot be given a test these days to show myself worthy to what that company may be working on, or did previously.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Well, as somebody who just screwed the pooch on an important Art Test because it was too much(for me), too quickly, I have to disagree.

I feel it was totally my fault. I mean, they asked a lot, but I had enough time if I really wanted it bad enough and worked very hard, all day, every day. But I got sick. I had technical & creative problems. I should have persevered through them, rather than accepting them as an excuse for failure.

I think Art Tests, provided they aren't just insane, are a great metric of how the employee will work under hard deadlines, stress, etc. Me personally, I folded like a house of cards this time, because I got so sick. Hard to model 2+ full next gen characters in a under a week when you're also fighting a bout of Mexican Dysentery.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    All of the art tests I've taken have been pretty reasonable as far as scale and time limits. I honestly dont mind too much, especially if it's a studio that I REALLY want to work for. Each test I've taken, I've learned a lot along the way so it's almost a catch 22. Yea, it's hard work and bites into your personal time and life...but even if you dont get the big pay off (land the job), you still pick up new tricks and what not along the way. It's frustrating at times...but for me personally, I have to take a step back and put things into perspective. I know if I take on a negative view of the experience, I'm only hurting myself to go along with the "failed" art test.

And this isnt to sound bitter what so ever, but I find it pretty unfair to meet certain expectations when a studio cant even meet those expectations....like Jesse pointed out. We could debate that all day and find reasons for a studio's reasoning behind that...but at the end of the day it's shit. Call it what it is.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I havent seen that many art tests. Out of around 110 game companies in the UK, I've seen around 3 of them giving a public art test and none of them asking for a private art test.

How big are we talking here? The "biggest" one I've seen are the environment ones from Bizarre, which consist of 2-3 pretty big facades and multiple props.

But on the topic of companies treating applicants like crap, it would be nice if they bothered to send out a reply to confirm they got your application. Even an automated reply would be ok... sort of. Well, better than nothing :p
    I end up feeling very positive about a company that does reply with what looks like a genuine email that they typed up, and very negative for ones that expect you to either do a art test or fill up a huge form and not even send a reply to acknowledge your application (only 2 companies have done that to me :p)
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    and if we can do those art tests in half the time and make it 2x awesome than they expect thats a big win.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    We have exactly the kind of large tests most of you say you despise. They are designed to see who wants to work at Epic, and who just wants a job.

I'll put my hand up and say that yes, I see the arrogance of this but I also understand the logic of it. See, the people we want to hire are the people who are just itching for the chance to work on cool shit just like we ask people to do in the test, they are concepts that we also built internally on Gears or UT.

Epic runs on passion, its not technology that defines us though we are known for that, its passion and without it, this place would roll over and die. So we want to see peoples passion, sometimes you hear people describe what they see as distinctive in a piece as the artists voice, the style that is particular to them when they are expressing themselves while also just doing the work.

Most of us here have worked other places and gone through the struggles most people of experience have, we know the industry demands can instill bad attititudes borne out of people never really getting to experience what happens when everyone pulls together.
    The art test, it tests also how people have resolved the issues we all face doing our job and if someone still has some sense of idealist belief in the worth of trying hard to do their best despite the negative side of the biz, well these sort of attitudes shine through and we hire those people.

At least, this is my understanding of why we have such gruelling art test requirements, well that and the fact that the work here tends to be demanding also. Of course, I still very clearly see and understand the arrogance of our stance..... so I won't try to argue you the right and wrong of the thing, I can only try to explain the philosophy of it.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm surprised noone has brought this up, but if you're asked to take on a pretty major asset as an art test, ask to be paid accordingly for it. In my experience, its not unrealistic to expect to be paid, if you're putting in a significant amount of time on an art test.

And on the flip side, I've tried to be pretty proactive about making sure artists who do art tests for the companies that i've worked at get paid if we ended up using their assets as well.

I think a large amount of what people are getting upset about, may be that they have unrealistic expectations of what is actually going to be expected of them at said job. If the art test seems insanely huge and complicated, maybe you aren't yet at a level to be able to perform in such an environment? Or maybe they're batshit insane. I'de say you've got about a 50/50 on that one. Really its sort of hard to say without some concrete examples of what people think is excessive. Details on what position, type of game, etc. All of this stuff plays a huge factor.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Scoob I think you just nailed the point of the thread right there.
    Hard to model 2+ full next gen characters in a under a week

Im not a character artist so I wouldn't be able to do it anyway but I know next gen artwork takes alot longer than 'traditional' 3d and I don't have 3d experience in games but just from speaking to people,even watching people work in a game production environment, I know that is a ridiculous task that you were given.

So on the basis of scoobs example there,what would you guys do?

Unfortunately im the type of person that knows what I *should* do but very rarely has the courage to carry it through.

So I believe I *should* question the deadline...say that's ridiculous,explain my reasons clearly WHY I think its ridiculous....then attempt to get as much done as possible without killing myself in the process and send them that....this way I cover my ass in case they are trying to make people question the deadline. (As John Warner suggested) and still get the an/interview because they liked whatever I did do.

Id like to think that's what I would do but if I was in the test seat I doubt I would. :(

John
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    that's mean :(

ahhh dude, we both know the polycounters working at mythic are capable of more, we both know there are engines out there capable of more on an mmo scale.

mythic are lazy when it comes to spending money, and time.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've heard of art tests not big in size, but they had very very detailed instructions on how to go about it, and if you didn't do it exactly that was pretty much that. I almost took that art test, but got another job instead.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco wrote: »
    Scoob I think you just nailed the point of the thread right there.

Im not a character artist so I wouldn't be able to do it anyway but I know next gen artwork takes alot longer than 'traditional' 3d and I don't have 3d experience in games but just from speaking to people,even watching people work in a game production environment, I know that is a ridiculous task that you were given.

So on the basis of scoobs example there,what would you guys do?

I think its not really safe to automatically assume you couldn't do 2 characters in a week, just because something needs normals/spec/etc. There are various other things to consider, art style, texture resolution, etc.

I mean, are we talking an MMO here, or are we talking a gears or war quality character?
    So I believe I *should* question the deadline...say that's ridiculous,explain my reasons clearly WHY I think its ridiculous....then attempt to get as much done as possible without killing myself in the process and send them that....this way I cover my ass in case they are trying to make people question the deadline. (As John Warner suggested) and still get the an/interview because they liked whatever I did do.
    I'm going to go out on a limb as say that its unlikely the test is some sort of mind game, and that they have a very specific time frame that they expect work to be done on their specific project, and that test is geared towards that. Again, too many variables to say what is unrealistic or isnt.

Now, i'm not saying that you shouldn't question specs, or deadlines of an art test. I think you should be upfront and honest with the process, if you feel that it is completely unreasonable to expect something to be finished in the aloted time, it may be a good idea to bring it up. You should be careful about this sort of thing tho, you dont want to look like you dont have any idea what you're doing, especially if you realize once you get into the test that its actually a lot less work than you originally thought it to be.

As an artist it is a very useful skill to be able to addapt to multiple styles and time frames for developing content, every situation is different and you need to be aware and accepting of this fact. Not fearful of it.

As a general note, i would caution anyone against ranting too heavily about art tests on a public forum, the last thing you want to be known for is "That guy who thinks art tests are bullshit". Its a small industry after all.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    I can see why people with experience might despise art tests but people like me who dont have 1 shipped title and need to prove my self the art test is where i can prove my abilities.

I recently did an art test where i passed it but they already hired someone so that sucked cause i spent a whole weekend on it and they didn't bother telling me. i wont say the company but that was pretty lame.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. wrote: »
    I can see why people with experience might despise art tests but people like me who dont have 1 shipped title and need to prove my self the art test is where i can prove my abilities.

I recently did an art test where i passed it but they already hired someone so that sucked cause i spent a whole weekend on it and they didn't bother telling me. i wont say the company but that was pretty lame.

I think in general this is a good attitude to have, for people lacking experience, an art test is the best way for a studio to find out if you have what it takes. Now, you've also got to understand that passing an art test in no way guarantees you a job, and in many cases is just the first step.
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    i don't think that a company is arrogant for wanting someone to do an art test. I know at Epic, they don't bother testing unless they feel that the person was a potential applicant in the first place. I think the test also tests more than just your art skills, but also, can you follow directions, etc.

I think it shows that people who refuse to take a test because they have x number of years experience or whatever are the arrogant ones.

I also like that everyone at Epic has taken those tests and can feel confident that no one "slipped" through because they knew so and so.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    When I was looking for work after gearbox laid me off, I did a lot of art tests. They ranged betweem 1-2 weeks in varying complexity, Naught Dog's was the most complicated and time restrictive. I gave up sleep, time with family so that I could show every company how passionate and determined I was in that time frame.

Of course, there were a few that never even responded back to me after I sent them the test, even to acknowledge that they were either passing on me, or excited with what I had shown. But oh well.

Your portfolio showed them what you have done and if your getting a test also, then they need a little more pursuing :) either way, I look it as an extension of your portfolio, except its done in a smaller time frame, make it look kick ass! and if it doesn't work out, at least you can show it off to the next potential employer.

-Lee
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    art tests are in general a fairly large waste of time, i guess its understandable if the person doesn't have any of that type of work in their portfolio, but then again unless this is someone who's just now breaking into the industry they should have a body of work that you can use to assess their skills, if they aren't good enough, they aren't good enough, there's no reason to waste your time and their time with them making this asset that they will not be paid for and will also most likely not be able to show off in their portfolio.

It also doesn't tell you anything about the person, its really impossible to tell what someone will be like to work with just by giving them a test and then have them come in for an interview for a few hours. There really needs to be a better way to find the right people. IMO the process should be something like:

1. get a candidate.
    2. examine their portfolio, if just by looking at their portfolio you get a feeling he can do the job then bring them in for an interview, if not don't even bother wasting time with a test, 90% of the time if the person's work doesn't look like what you are looking for the test is likely going to be more of the same.
    3. Interview, if it goes well hire the person as an inhouse contractor for maybe 2-3 weeks to see how he is to work with and how he is going to get along with the rest of the team. WARN them that this is a not a permanent situation, no promisses, its a try before you buy thing.
    4. At the end of the term have a quick review if it is indeed the right person for the team go ahead and bring them on as a fulltime employee, if not then say sorry you are not what we are looking for and be done.

This way you're not wasting time with all these people making these useless assets that they aren't paid for, and you also get an opportunity to see what they're like to work with. Plus in the 2-3 weeks they get a chance to impress, which IMO is alot better than having someone sit at home and bust ass on some asset that they can't show and won't get anything out of. And you and the team get a much better idea of what that person is all about.

And this kind of approach should go for everybody, not just gunts but leads people too, i think lead people especially because they are so critical to keeping the team together. You definitely want to have an opportunity to say ok this isn't working out and let the person be on their way.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Interesting conversation. Can anyone provide details about the art tests? Examples? It seems like some are harder than others. I would be interested to see what would be required of someone taking one. Sounds like a good challenge for me this summer.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can anyone provide details about the art tests? Examples?

yes please. i would like to see some of these "super epic" art tests just to see how big they are. unless of course the companies prohibit them from being shown publicly.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    00Zero wrote: »
    yes please. i would like to see some of these "super epic" art tests just to see how big they are. unless of course the companies prohibit them from being shown publicly.

The "super epic" scale might be blowin out of proportion by now I think.

I wouldn't share these simply because they were given to me and are not public. Also it's not very professional imho.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I landed my first (and current) job by doing an art test, I didn't really have much of a folio so it was definitely a great opportunity to show off my skill set. I worked like a mad bitch on the test, I took time off work and worked on it for about 15 hours a day, for the 3 days I had to get it done in.

I did however have to do an art test for another company, where I never heard back from. It was disappointing that I put in all that time and effort without so much as confirmation that they even received it.
    I wasn't too disheartened, I just took it as my resulting model wasn't up to standard and knew I had to do better next time.

I would gladly do an art test for any studio that I was interested in working for. I would a month long art test for Epic Games or id Software if it meant getting a job there!
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    I too was a bit thrown off by mention of art tests being "super epic," then heard mention of Slash Damage's tests, which I do not actually appear super epic to me at all. They are a balanced breakfast, yes, but certainly they are not asking you to build an entire cityscape for their own enjoyment.

Art tests should have some amount of bulk to them. It's like putting the icing on the cake of your portfolio - and if it's just something small, something trivial you may have already done before, it will provide no further indication of your skill level, and the test may as well have not been issued in the first place. I mean, even if it takes you two weeks in the evenings on account of already working another job, what is that in comparison to the potential of a successful career lasting however many years at the company that issued it? And if they don't hire you, you have at least gained experience as an artist.
  • 3devo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3devo polycounter lvl 12
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=55032
    a thread i started on publically available art tests for the most part these are not super epic art tests in fact they seem for the most part to be a good way to gauge the skill and speed of the applicant.
    I can only imagine that these SUPER EPIC tests would be for the cream of the GD community i.e, EPIC, Blizzard, Valve et al, and gauge not only skill but dedication/passion of the applicant.
    Although there are probably more than a few companies that have appropriated that style of art test (whether or not its representative of the kind of workload/quality is another thing) for their own hiring process(probably justifying it as industry standard).
    Not saying its a bad thing to have epic art tests but hopefully the people designing these art tests put some thought into the appropriateness of the test for their companies needs.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    rawkstar wrote: »
    3. Interview, if it goes well hire the person as an inhouse contractor for maybe 2-3 weeks to see how he is to work with and how he is going to get along with the rest of the team. WARN them that this is a not a permanent situation, no promisses, its a try before you buy thing.
    4. At the end of the term have a quick review if it is indeed the right person for the team go ahead and bring them on as a fulltime employee, if not then say sorry you are not what we are looking for and be done.

This may work for someone who is unemployed or looking for their first shot in the industry, but I know for me personally, I am not going to give up a fulltime position with benefits for a potentially temporary contract position. I am pretty sure anyone with a family to consider would probably say the same thing; job security goes a long ways when you have the welfare of little ones at home to consider and not just your own personal happiness and career advancement.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahhh dude, we both know the polycounters working at mythic are capable of more, we both know there are engines out there capable of more on an mmo scale.

mythic are lazy when it comes to spending money, and time.

Oh well, everyone's entitled to their opinion, can't say I agree with you.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    it's cool man, i stopped paying toward your wages last month, so you don't have to listen to it either ;)
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    you receive cocky dick of the year award ! congrats !
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He's a WAR player, they are a passionate people with firey tempers and we love them all.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    fankoo!

i guess i should make a second ligitimate post toward the thread though, so:

Rawkstar and AstroZombie both raise good points.
    Rawkstar is right, an art test tells you very little about a person, and less about their technical ability than you'll get from just looking through their portfolio. not to mention, the candidate will only really have time to execute an art test to the best of their ability if they aren't already in full time work.

AstroZombies point carries a hell of a lot of weight with me, i'm now living with my girlfriend and her 3 kids, i have a family to worry about, and i wouldn't give up my current job, to work as an in house contractor for a 6 figure salery without guaranty of employment afterward. i might be the perfect person for your business, but you'll never know that, because i don't even want to put myself in that position.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I've done a few art tests lately. There are some that I feel are too much. There are certain companies that doing 80-120 hours worth of work is acceptable. And there are some that aren't.

That said the way the economy, industry, job market is now I think that it's the applicant that is getting taxed a little harder. Companies are expecting more for the same price (free) because there are so many more people to choose from. It's unfortunate but it's not going to stay like that forever. So I guess you just have to stomach the giant art test now and wait till next time you're looking to be more selective about the amount of work you'll do for a test.

I've usually done the best on art tests that are 48 hour type tests. They give it to you on Friday and want it back Monday morning.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    AstroZombies point carries a hell of a lot of weight with me, i'm now living with my girlfriend and her 3 kids, i have a family to worry about, and i wouldn't give up my current job, to work as an in house contractor for a 6 figure salery without guaranty of employment afterward. i might be the perfect person for your business, but you'll never know that, because i don't even want to put myself in that position.

Also, if I am not local who is going to pay for my trip as well as my living accommodations while I am there taking your in-house art test for 2-3 weeks? Are you going to pay my way home if things don't work out? Maybe write a letter on my behalf to my old boss, asking him to give me my job back?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    wait, which studios do "in house" art tests? o_O