Home General Discussion

Say goodbye to your head, wanker!

Replies

• Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    While still not the best method out there, I prefer the current one to the achievement system; at least now you're rewarded for playing any class other than the updated one. Which isn't to say that there isn't a disproportionate amount of Spies and Snipers, but it's not as bad as with the previous updates, in my experience.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    I played for 4 hours and unlocked about 14 achievements for sniper and 3 for spy. I haven't "found" anything yet. I play regularly. This new system blows goats as far as I'm concerned.

I think if they made the achievements more achievable it would have solved the problem. Even as a regular player I found the old system too difficult to be enjoyable. I'm not interested in jumping through that many hoops.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I found 3 items in my first 4 hours and then the next 3 hours I found nothing. None of the items I found were "new" though :(

I personally dont like it so much, would be better if we had more control on what dropped, or even better, dont allow duplicates and scrap the whole "trading" idea for weapons. Its ok for hats I guess, since those are just for looks.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I found the jar of piss, and that makes me happy.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like the fact that I've gotten a few weapons I didn't have before, and several duplicates, the system needs some dramatic tweaking. Wish they kept the achievements, with a mix of points/time played drop mechanic also, to get weapons. That way, if you wanna grind then grind(because there are achievement whores anyways), or if you want to have fun you can and get them over time. OR if you're a little better than the rest and get like 3 dominations (or live for 5 minutes-whatever) with a certain class, get that class's next weapon or such. Keep all types of players happy and still have the 50% skill - 50% luck element involved.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I'm actually more disappointed with the crippling lag spikes...
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    I don't get it, I've been playing for 6 hours off and on since the update and I haven't found anything at all :(

I have all the sniper achievements that don't require the jarate or huntsman (minus the kill 1,000 players and get stabbed by 50 spies) and I don't know what to do differently to get them.

I understand the "random" drops are bugged right now, I just wish I knew how to get weapons to drop at all.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Pseudo wrote: »
    I don't get it, I've been playing for 6 hours off and on since the update and I haven't found anything at all :(

I have all the sniper achievements that don't require the jarate or huntsman (minus the kill 1,000 players and get stabbed by 50 spies) and I don't know what to do differently to get them.

I understand the "random" drops are bugged right now, I just wish I knew how to get weapons to drop at all.

I wish it was a little more than 'random', like if you didn't get anything, you definitely would after 2 hours of nothing, or something.

I played 4 hours and only got one thing :(
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I've been getting about 1 thing per 4ish hours.

Got a deadringer this afternoon, but had to find a youtube video to figure out how to use it.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    all I want is the bow... it looks awesome im going Rambo! So u guys are saying I can get the unlocks while playing any class? that would be good. :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can the pyro light the Huntsman's arrows on fire?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    yeah , wich imo is awesome, but most of the tards just see the arrow on fire and are like "omg teh coolzors" and fire it at the wall...
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    Yes!! I'm happy to report that I've found the Sandman, Backburner, and Atomic Energy Drink, AGAIN!! Now I have spares just in case....thanks Valve!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8.6hrs 1 can of Bonk.
  • [Deleted User]
    I wish they just combined the methods of getting new weapons. You could still target certain upgrades through achievement grinding, or you could accrue them through the drop system. But then there would still be achievement servers.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL1lfSzgcAw[/ame]

So far I've received an old Medic weapon that I did not already have. I've also received the Huntsman. Very nice. Feels like a gift.

Despite the fact the weapon system is currently broken, I like it. I'll like it more when they fix it. I often play with original weapons anyway. I don't like the fact cheaters can still cheat. But, can't stop that.

I'm really enjoying this update. My ONLY seriously complaint about this update is all the sissy crybaby whiners I'm having to listen to when I join a server. Constant bitching about how the weapon system...all the while forgetting, these new maps are a lot of fun. But, that's the nature of gamers. Just can't satisfy them.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    I guess it'll work out better when you can trade weapons with your friends, people will be able to get rid of their duplicates etc... Hope they set it up ok.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I see they implemented the "MMO Fanbase" code into TF2!
    Just kiddng guys!
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see they implemented the "MMO Fanbase" code into TF2!
    Just kiddng guys!

LOL "Gamebreaking update! PLZ FIX BLIZZ!"
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    Seems like it's mostly the people who don't play much like the weapon system, and people who do play a lot don't like it.
    (I play a lot. I really don't like it.)

I liked playing the class, earning my achievements, and knowing my progress. And I'm perfectly fine with not having weapons for classes I don't play. Yeah people "cheated" to get the new weapons on achievment servers before...(oh yeah, they fixed that, BIG TIME!...) But they weren't stopping me from getting my unlocks legitimately, and it was fun. Also let's not forget that many of the unlock weapons aren't actual upgrades, so you can do just as well without them...
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (oh yeah, they fixed that, BIG TIME!...)

I must have missed that. What was the fix?
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    flarer.jpg
    NEEDS MOAR FLARE GUN! ><
  • [Deleted User]
    Just got the Huntsman, thing friggin rocks
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    I just want a hat, if I could trade int he ten useless items I already have for a hat, I'd be happy.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    I play on 360. None of this shit exists there, so it's just the classic game. No whining.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    All I got so far was the razorback as far as new items go...
    I want some spy items badly though.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Perhaps they need to add some kind of weapon decay system
    "Your Kritzkreig blew up in your face. Would you like to replace if with another from your stash?"
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    glib wrote: »
    I must have missed that. What was the fix?

I was trying to be sarcastic ;)

There are "idle servers" now, though where you just spectate and leave the game running for hours. You still get items even spectating... So you an accumulate items that way... which is about on par, maybe "worse" than people going to achievment servers. Those people never bothered me, anyways, though...
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Whine whine whine. Sheesh, you guys already know they're working on it, just wait a few days. If you're still playing the game after all this time you can survive not getting some items for a few hours, okay?
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc wrote: »
    Whine whine whine. Sheesh, you guys already know they're working on it, just wait a few days. If you're still playing the game after all this time you can survive not getting some items for a few hours, okay?

Really? We already know that they're working on it? I haven't heard anything.

Petition on the steam tf2 forums to switch back to EARNED achievements:
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871779

Steam group:
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/giveustf2back?action=join

This is the only game I play and they really broke it. So it is quite frustrating.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    they are not dumbasses, also dont forget the weekend, some of them have lives you know ;) so far valve has always delivered, and now because something isnt fixed in the go you start panicking and saying "oh valve cuttted my ballz0r LOL H4X !"

and besides, all special items suck , seriously theres more drawback than advantage.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    I played for about 2- 2 1/2 hours and didn't manage to gain any items. How long is it suppose to take to find something, just luck?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the 4hr marker is where people start to typically see items pop up. But I didn't see anything until 8-ish hours and after 10+ I've only seen two things I already have drop.

I'm starting to warm up to the system but for those 8+ hrs nothing dropped it felt like total BS. Hopefully something useful will drop soon...
  • [Deleted User]
    It really depends on how much you play, it's not a fixed time. I don't play very often so I got about 10 items in 6 hours (granted I already had 5 of them)
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Kaskad wrote: »
    It really depends on how much you play, it's not a fixed time. I don't play very often so I got about 10 items in 6 hours (granted I already had 5 of them)

Thats kinda contradicting, from what you say (and everyone else's experience) it clearly does not depend on how much you play, and is purely random.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Yozora wrote: »
    Thats kinda contradicting, from what you say (and everyone else's experience) it clearly does not depend on how much you play, and is purely random.

I'm not really sure, I found two items within the first 2 hours, then 1 during the next two, and then just got the Cloak and Dagger during the hour after that. For me it seems to be an average of an item an hour.
  • [Deleted User]
    Yozora wrote: »
    The explanation on Valve's blog, however, does indicate that it matters:
    Valve wrote:
    That new system watches the amount of time that players are playing TF2, and gives them a chance to find items at regular intervals. They aren't guaranteed to get the item at those points, but they have a pretty good chance.

But then other parts contradict that, making it seem like the interval is the same for everybody:
    Valve wrote:
    When we were tuning this system we first looked at the average amount of time that players spend playing TF2 daily. From there, we set the goal of most players having around 20 items in their inventory after a couple of weeks of play. If you're someone who plays a lot of TF2, you're going to get items a lot faster than that.

So I really don't know.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so, just joined one of my fav'd servers, and in 2 MINUTES I received 6 items. Heavy helmet, soldier helmet, sniper hat, 2 dead ringers, and a flare gun. Wtf?! Another guy got the same thing, right after my splurge of items. Except he got the demo's afro instead of the soldier helmet.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    TWilson wrote: »
    This is the only game I play and they really broke it. So it is quite frustrating.

The game I've been playing heavily for nearly two years works just fine. Which part is broken for you? The game everyone else has jumped on to play for the weekend...has a few kinks in it. Honestly, it's working just great for me. No duplicate items so far, and a steady increase of new items being given to me. No big deal. I still prefer the Sniper Rifle over the Huntsman. And I rarely play Spy.

The game is the same as it has been...with a sudden increase of overreacting crybabies on the servers and forums ruining the experience for everyone else.

Anyone involved with game production should understand nothing ever goes as expected when initially released. I've only had one major hiccup, and that was a crash at the start of a round of Hoodoo. I've seen a few missing textures on Sawmill. I'm sure Valve will have it all resolved once the holiday weekend in over. And we can all go back to playing our favorite games in between work hours.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I played all weekend ElysiumGX and I didn't get a single item, duplicate or otherwise. Meanwhile these guys playing for free are "finding" all kinds of things.

Do you check in and go home? Why would you do a major update and take a vacation? When you create an online game you're also creating a liability. You need to respect your hardcore fans as well as new ones. It's not all that uncommon for developers to break their games but it's still frustrating.

Anyhoo.. I'm not going to defend my opinion anymore. I'm allowed to have one and be upset with this update geared at making more money. Good for them.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    I started playing first time ever this afternoon and got some invisibility watch.. which isnt much use since I play heavy and medic all the time..

great game though wish Id picked it up earlier
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    I think the problem I'm having with the new update is that the random weapon finding takes away the sense of accomplishment associated with getting enough of the achievements. I'm grinding away slowly on spy and sniper, but I've already got one of the spy items, and probably won't get squat if I get 14 of the achievements, like it used to be. Kind of no point to try for those difficult or tedious achievements now

On the other hand, while pyro and heavy achievements were fun and doable (with a few exceptions that I had to farm) medic is difficult to get for me, farm or otherwise, and scout has had me absolutely stumped since the update dropped. It was a nice surprise to finally get the sandman at random and be able to have a little more survivability as a scout.

I guess it would be cool to have drops be for classes which you play less, while your top classes require achievements, to even out your strengths and weaknesses. But I'm guessing that's kind of a pain, so the new system should be good enough, if somewhat retarded with the multiple same-item drops.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Anyhoo.. I'm not going to defend my opinion anymore. I'm allowed to have one and be upset with this update geared at making more money. Good for them.
    And I'm allowed to tell you you're acting like a baby. Oh noes, you didn't get your special hat after playing a couple days. Let's all just totally forget that the fact you have extra achievements and weapons in the first place is because Valve gave you a ton of free content. Remember? The game didn't ship with this stuff that you seem to hate them for "breaking". The game has a ton of extra content and a ton more people to play with because of all of these FREE updates geared at "making more money".

Oh but the second the slightest thing bugs up, which in no way shape or form affects the base game that you purchased, Valve is now a terrible company filled with idiots who hate you and want you to suffer as much as possible. Oh, and they don't respect you! I guess it's back to cutting yourself in the bathroom then.

You shouldn't keep defending your opinion because your opinion is stupid. You don't deserve any respect because you don't give any. Valve didn't break anything, you're just freaking out over stupid shit.

And, of course, you're going to keep playing (for free) with the extra content you have (for free) and you'll enjoy it and keep getting more updates (for free) and you'll complain every inch of the way.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sicsided wrote: »
    so, just joined one of my fav'd servers, and in 2 MINUTES I received 6 items. Heavy helmet, soldier helmet, sniper hat, 2 dead ringers, and a flare gun. Wtf?! Another guy got the same thing, right after my splurge of items. Except he got the demo's afro instead of the soldier helmet.

Wow I haven't even SEEN a hat on anyone at all yet. nevermind seeing an unlock. I didn't even know they were in the mix yet to be honest.

I unlocked my second buttsauger tonight :(. But I did manage to rack up 60 kills to 10 deaths between my spy's deadringer and my engi's sentry. Of course half of that was an epic 35 kills and 1 death with a single well-supported sentry.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm, maybe i should play this game. after all , i have two copies (360 and pc). ive only played for a grand total of maybe 30 minutes.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    you should its fuckin awesome and funny as hell..
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    when i entered a couple of days ago i received an ambassador ( major piece of shit btw ) , so far nuthin.

One question : does the huntsman does less damage than the sniper rifle ? is it enhanced with blazing arrows ?

peejar.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Ambassador has just been patched so that it does full crits on headshot. This is either going to be great or a complete nightmare depending on how often you play Spy.

The burning arrows set enemies alight for quite a while. It should be enough to kill anyone who doesn't have a medic, dispenser or medkit close by regardless of overheal.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    These mini-balancing updates are kick ass, TF2:Championship Edition ftw :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Johny wrote: »
    One question : does the huntsman does less damage than the sniper rifle ?
    It sticks people to walls, what the hell does anything else matter?

No but seriously, I'd like to know too.