Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Occlusion Online: PC Wips *Nudity*

Replies

• Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indecom polycounter lvl 16
    Okay guys, how is this for a model update. I took him into zbrush to do the editing cuz its faster on my gpu'less computer.

orcprogress.png

You can see where i started to retexture the face, still at phaze one though.

Made the arms smaller, beefed his legs up a bit, moved and beefed his shoulders and increased the size of his chest.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    wow, thats most defiantly a triumphant veiny one...
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well you think a species famous for being big and thick and green all over their bodies, that maybe they are big and thick everywhere lol.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    orcprogress2.png

More texture progress, better?
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    nice one, looking heaps better. Maybe throw some cooler shadows in (blues and purples to slightly up the contrast) but not necessary.
    Any tut's on painting textures in zbrush btw?

Hope the rest of him turns out this nicley.

And i'd say his pecs are still looking really squashed in by his delts, maybe smoothing the transition between the two would make it look a little nicer.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    yup, the new face is great.

Still wondering about the giant cock, is it a marketing ploy to generate hype about the game via controversy?
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, well i assure you that not all gamecocks will be that gigantic lol. Its mostly a ploy to differenciate from the standard.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    veins should be huge and purple for maximum lols
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Yup, texture the rest of the body the same. Even if... he has no neck mobility... he has a big penis. Testicles, anyone?
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another progress shot, adding more shading where it looks like it needs it. I'm doing all my texturing in photoshop by the way, just rendering it in zbrush since i have no video card, its much faster than blender.

orcprogress3.png
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    maybe a tiny bit more red 'round the orifices?
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so like this? still need to darken the back of his head more, to match the darkness level of the side

orcprogress4.png
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    Hmm, it looks good, you could try using more of a purple red though. And yeah, the dark area looks like a caved in skull at the moment.
    Maybe once you colour his teeth itll help to break the green up too, idk
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm i have an idea, i'll try and color larger patches a slightly different hue to break up the green, maybe, hmm, i'll see what that does

EDIT: here it is, with the back side shaded darker as well
    orcprogress5.png

EDIT: more wips, this time, hair
    orcprogress6.png
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    leet. I reckon the transition of hair to skin in some places it too uh "crisp" if that makes sense. Im sure youre still WIPping it though. Awesome shit.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, i took a break texturing for a bit to program, now i'm taking a break from programming to texture, added brows, almost forgot about those little buggers!

orcprogress7.png

also added some smoother transitions from hair to skin, but if you still see problem areas, feel free to point them out.

EDIT: EARS!!!

orcprogress8.png
    Ears are still very WIPpy
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    very nice! it looks very weird to see the body posted along with this head, since the body has such a different hue/saturation :).
    keep it up man! it looks great so far! now show me them tusks.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuller.JPG

What I remember from your demon SDK skin (which was great, overall) was that you rendered a lot of micro but left most of the macro bland. This, in part, is what might cause your work to feel too highlighty and less matte, like you mentioned you wish to achieve. In this paintover I simply used that swatch with a hard-light brush to equalize things with the forehead highlight.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh okay, thanks for that, i'll try that out and post some progress.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    wow, great improvement on the texture there! Will he get clothes/armor later on? :P
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eventually they will get clothes, but not by me, I'm only commissioned to do the unclothed models.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    [totally offtopic]
    whaaat? i just checked out the occlusion online site and saw a character i made like 4 years ago and posted on turbosquid for free.
    hahahaha XD
    [/totally offtopic]
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha, wow thats funny Japhir. I have your low poly spiderman model lol. Pretty good model.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    i like the model only thing i dont like about it is the huge penis that accompanies it! did you really need to put that in? it really takes away from the model itself imo :(
    good stuff though i like how this is coming along!
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe, well, i'll maybe make another version without it and see which the company prefers.

The head is nearly finished, working on the ears and hair a bit more and the head is finished.
  • pixelmitherer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet texturing on the face indeed!
    My only crit would be to echo what somebody mentioned earlier about more blue tones.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    you shoulda put it on Tsquid for about 12 bucks japhir, thats about what ide here is gettin paid for this orc :) seriously indecom, you should ditch those occlusion guys, they are obviously clowns and 20 bucks per character with textures and animations is definately not enough dough tospend all your time on orccock in fact send me a sase and i'll send you 20 bucks to move onto something without dong.

but seriously your texture is looking a lot better, good to see you following advice pecs still look squished under the shoulders,, need to move the shoulders up and out, now it looks like he has them rotated forard
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, i'll see what i can do about the pecs, alot of what you might still be seeing could be caused by texture, but i'll see how i can improve that, i'll have to tweak the uv's afterword as well however

K here is the current state of the head, i think i might call the head done and move on to other parts lol

orcprogress9.png

Played witht he colros, tried adding cooler shadows dunno how much was really changed:
    orcprogress10.png
    More tweaking:
    orcprogress11.png
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naw, you're throwing it off balance now. Your drop-shadows should simply be less saturated and darker than your base color here, that's it. Move on to the rest of the body.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so i have laid in the base color for the torso, been playing with the pecs, maybe they are looking more natural now?
    orcprogress12.png
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    i think his chest needs to come out a bit more looks like he has a case of sunken chest at the moment, and the traps could come down a bit too... much improved though.. still can't figure out why they'd need a donger though :)
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright thats my next step, pull out the chest, and reducing and tweaking the traps to a more realistic state.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, here is the Tweaked torso, hopefully its more to your liking. Thinking about adding some extra cuts in the chest to smooth it out a bit:

orcprogress13.png
    Cuts added to the chest
    orcprogress14.png

That pic might look strange lol. i had to mirror the image cuz i forgot to apply the mirror modifyier before exporting the mesh into zbrush lol

torso texture progress:

orctorsoprogress.png
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I think its improving but there is too much separation in some of the forms right now. The biggest problem is the shoulder to bicep/tricep transition. You want him to be really muscular I'm sure, but the forms still have to flow into one another.

I like the progress, but the way you are working seems inefficient to me. All this back and fourth between modeling and texturing. I have seen jumping around between modeling and texturing work before, (Ian Joyner's workflow in the Gnomon DVD's), but its usually done for more subtle points, not drastically changing the forms.

I would suggest at least doing a rough concept sculpt to get the shapes you want down for the model, then make sure your low poly fits correctly with the silhouette and then work on texturing. I don't wanna mess up the workflow you planned on, but if you do all your texturing and then find you want to change the model more, you may end up wasting a great deal of time.

It's definitely coming along now though, so keep at it.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestion. Thats what i kinda originally thought, do a zbrush scultp to lay out and plan the features, but back when i started this model that wasnt possible. However, i can now so i'll do that with the next character.

Thanks for the shoulder's suggestion, i definitley see what you mean now.

Here is what i've got on the textures so far for the torso:

orctorsoprogress3.png
    orctorsoprogress4.png
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another chest update. I think i'm calling the shading and lighting done, Lemme know if i need to add any special color variations or whatnot

orctorsoprogress5.png
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The rendering on the chest is very nice, and on the abdominal muscles too. The back also looks beautiful. I'd like to see the sinewy effect on the shoulders as well. The rendering on the boney areas could be less shiny, maybe visually different altogether. The earlier sshots, where the collarbone was this dark substance vs. the lighter flesh, looked a lot more interesting.

I don't think the body needs any color variations, but in terms on consistency, your head is not only far more detailed, it is also rendered and colored slightly differently. Rest assured, though, this is gorgeous work. Don't forget his nipples ;)
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A lot of the detail shift is due to resolution differences between the face and torso. I'll see what i can do about colar bones and possibly getting more of the colors from the face into the torso to blend things together better.
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Indecom, nice work. Coming along well.

The chest and head looks great, but the abs and back have some very unusual shapes. I understand that you're taking some liberties with anatomy, but to me those areas just don't look right.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I might tweak the abs actually, dont really care for the slanted look, but i personally like the back lol. Used a body builder as reference to get it as close to real as i could with some small liberties and translation loss.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The texture is finished, unless you guys have any crits. I updated the first post with a turntable as well as this still image:
    OrcBeauty1.png

What do you guys think of him?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    really some of the replies in this thread. Yes males have penises. Women have vaginas. We never model them but that doesn't mean someone shouldn't. I think it suits an Orks personality to have a giant scary dong flapping about to terrify people.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    That's looking really nice, but I think it'd look a whole lot better if you kept it clean and ditched the noise you added right at the end.

If you're going to keep his wang on show, and more power to you if you do, you might want to revise the anatomy on the area between groin and chest. You're going to have to bite the bullet and get some naked man references.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A Judaeo/Christian orc tee-hee... You do know that males are not born that way, but rather made? Might want to rethink the wang tip.

Yea, I think it would look great without the noise. You have some pretty amazing painting skills no need to ruin it with some clunky filter.

Areas of concern:
    The collar bone/neck/shoulder area seem to have issues. Muscle tends to envelop the clavicle. The clavicle doesn't push out and away from the rest of the skeleton, leading the muscle as muscle develops, it creates a crease since it's an attachment point. The pronounced highlights you have are almost reversed of what they should be. It shouldn't be a hard creased edge with the neck muscles in a deep pocket.
    The Sternocleidomastoid (major muscles running from the base of the skull just under the ears to the clavicle) seems under developed/defined.

Ref:
    http://www.criticalbench.com/images/build-muscle.jpg
    http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/musclesurf/ab-man1.jpg

Looking very much awesome tho, keep going!
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Eh, his feet are so hairy, you might expect to see more chest and pubic hair; unless, of course, he shaves it off because it pinches when he wears his latex. (kidding) The colors are nice, I like how monstrous the hands in particular look. Laughed at circumcision comment, yes.

Edit: checked out the turntable; glutes might be riding up a little high, but he sure looks scary from behind. And damn those hands are cool.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh as for the circumcized tip, lol, its really not, thought the highlights make it look that way.
    CLOSEUP!! BE WARNED LOL

orcnotcircumnavigated.png

as for the pubic and chest hair, it actually was apart of my concept, but i didnt know if it was really needed. Though i can easily add it.

As for the visible clavical, i see that in muscle bound males that its like, non existant, but it was merely a personal choice to keep it. i think it adds something kind of menacing perhaps? hmm, its a bit late in the game to change it now, but i'll take that into account when it comes to making my human characters.
  • JesterBox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JesterBox polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not sure how well it would fit. Unless theres a hole in the market.

I see what you did there.... lol

My only crit would be that he has a penis but no nipples, or belly button.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    actually i added nipples, you can see in those new shots. chest and pubic hair is next though
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    If he's got such bushy feet and head hair, but none of the body or pubic region.

There's too many anatomical liberties mostly in the back, chest and abdominals, but a major area you biff is the thighs. You broke his hip and spread it apart to make room for his exaggerated genetals. Thighs touch each other at the top, there is only a small gap between them at the top and genetals rest in front of that. And really the fact that you did this to make room for his stuff is silly.

http://www.t-nation.com/forum_images/8/6/869307.1136226039039.Funny_arnold_5.jpg

He also appears to have no lats. It's a very common mistake for artists to do no research, and drop the ball on the back.

Oh and I'm calling it; cheapalert 2008!
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've added the chest and pubic hair, reduced the noise considerably, and removed lighting to show off the texture more.

When i started texturing him, i did find some reference for the back, though i did take possibly too many liberties in that area. I've downloaded an ebook on human anatomy for artist, thanks to the thread in general chat section, and after looking at that book i noticed that the anatomy in my thigh area really needs some work, and i'll definitely be learning from this experience and making the proper changes in my new textures. I'm seriously seriously debating whether or not to redo the back of the legs to make them more anatomically correct, and less bland. As for the legs being pushed aside to make room for the genitals, that likely is the case here, but this is also my first time actually modeling any of that, but i'll take your comments and learn from them, and apply them to my future models. :)

Final beauty shot:
    OrcBeauty3.png